dual electric pusher fans to cool Amazon B20 living in Desert?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

dual electric pusher fans to cool Amazon B20 living in Desert?

Hi-I did a search and only came up with questions about hp loss from the motor driven fan. I use my 62 122S in Palm Springs and do freeway back and forth to LA trips often. In traffic, I see the temp go up and we're not even to full tilt summer yet.
      Any experience or recomendations on installing electric fans, photos or parts needed to install would be much appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Stuart

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Check out post #134 in the following thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ject-Car/page4

A 15 " fan from Speedway motors was the largest fan that I could fit on my 142. Turns out my running hot problem was more related to partially blocked tubes in the lower part of the radiator. If you are running hot, make sure that your radiator is clean. If you have the original style rad, a large single fan will provide more cooling area coverage than the dual fan arrangements used on later model cars because of the form factor of their radiators.

I went with a pusher because I don't have adequate space between the back of the rad and the nose of the water pump drive. With a pusher, you cannot mount a shroud which is why I went with the largest fan I could fit. If you can mount a fan in pull configuration, you can use a shroud on the fan and get away with a smaller diameter fan in pull configuration. Based upon my experience, the puller configuration is superior to the push configuration if you can get it to fit. My fan is controlled by my Megasquirt ECU. You will have to purchase a separate temperature controller to start and stop your electric fan.

I thought the Amazon had a shroud on its fan. If you still have the stock fan and the shroud in place, stick with it. I would take your radiator to a rad shop and have it cleaned out first before experimenting with electric fan options. If you still get overheating after the rad is cleaned, then consider adding a pusher fan for supplementary cooling at low speeds.

When idling, my B20 runs hotter at the back of the block (where the dash sensor is) than at the front of the block. This disappears as soon as the engine speeds up and coolant flow increases. This is a slight design issue with the B20 (and B18?) and can be exacerbated if the coolant distribution pipe in the head has come loose and / or rotated so that it is not directing flow correctly.
      Last edited by 142 Guy; 05-16-2016 at 10:32 PM.

You may find this different approach interesting...

I recently brought home this air conditioned beauty, with the most well thought-out and performing installation of an aftermarket setup in an Amazon I have ever seen:
      http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/no...20Amazon%20220

Of note is the cleverly integrated and modified radiator/shroud setup from a 240, and the electric fan ahead of the condenser wired to the radiator temp sensor and an under-dash switch.
      Radiator provides ~50% more cooling than stock setup, and AC blows modern cool even at idle.

Let me know if more details and picts would be useful.
      Last edited by northNH; 05-17-2016 at 10:54 AM.
      '62 Amazon Original 65K mile time capsule
      '94 MBz E320 wagon 120K miles '92 MBz 300CE 2Dr 180K cold weather miles
      '94 MBz E420 120K miles '86 BMW 635CSi 2Dr 180K warm weather miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for both replys 142 guy and North NH! My 122S Amazon is an early car, 1962 and no fan shroud. Cooling and radiator works great long as I'm moving. I live in Palm Springs and it's low 100's already but will soon be 117-120 during the days and even at 3AM will be over 100! Once stopped at a light or in traffic, temp climbs unless I keep it revved up, moving the coolant around. I have a shroud from a later P1800 I'm going to modify and mount and will also need a fan up front, puller I imagine with a temp switch or a manual switch. My car came with a B18 but now running a B-20 dual SU setup. That AC/Cooling install in NorthNH is about the most Sano I've seen! Thanks for the photos! I have an older Mercedes diesel wagon and have at times run it without the radiator shroud in place and notice a big difference in temp. Also, when the front electric fan has gone out, temps also climb when stopped very fast so I know these things work in concept! Again, Thanks for the input and photos! I'll keep progress posted! Stuart

My radiator real estate won't accommodate anything larger than a 12" fan. My top to bottom front of radiator is 12.5" even though width is 18", so 12" it is.
      140 series must have a much larger more robust cooling system! There's also not enough clearance to lose my mechanical fan and replace it with a puller set up due to the nose of the water pump. I think I'll be OK with the 12" pusher fan in traffic or around town. It arrives tomorrow and I'll try to install and test.
      Thanks! Stuart

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements