Forward in reverse, weak reverse in neutral
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Forward in reverse, weak reverse in neutral

Forgive me if this has been answered or I am in the wrong part of the forum. I signed up on my phone and navigating through the site is not what I'm used to.

I have a Volvo 850 turbo here that i bought for my mom a while ago. A couple weeks ago when she tried to back out of my driveway she said she was reversing out and it felt like she hit something, drove forward and got out to look and there was nothing there. The car is now stuck in my driveway with no reverse gear.

When shifted to reverse it will drive forward. When in neutral I get a very weak feel of reverse for a few seconds then nothing. Feels like normal neutral after the initial couple seconds. There is no flashing arrow on the dash and no check engine codes.

I was thinking either pnp switch or something broke inside of the transmission. Leaning more towards broken transmission seeing that I have no arrow or codes and she said it felt like she hit something.

Any suggestions? Anyone happen to know the average cost of a shop doing a transmission swap? Do not have time to do it myself sadly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have you checked to see that your shifter cable is properly adjusted?
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 280k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 141k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      Have you checked to see that your shifter cable is properly adjusted?
      I have not because I cannot get reverse to enagage even if I slowly cycle the shifter from park all the way down.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Had the shifter cable end on the tranny been moved or by chance flipped at all?
      2004 C70 T5 AT vert 77k Black Sapphire
      2004 V70R GT 144K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S60R M66 151k Passion/Nordkap
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport 215k Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by 91shelby View Post
      Had the shifter cable end on the tranny been moved or by chance flipped at all?
      Nope. No work has been done to the car for at least a few months and it was a ignition component problem. Transmission has not been touched in the two years since I had bought it.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements