Xenon adjustment or replace Xenon bulbs
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Xenon adjustment or replace Xenon bulbs

Hello, helping out my parents but they bought a year ago a 2013 ice white S60 T6 R-Design with polestar upgrade and the xenon lights in this car are surprisingly not as bright as I thought they would be. Is there an adjustment to have the lights Fo farther or so you guys recommended an aftermarket set of replacement HID bulbs? If so easy to replace? Thanks for the help, Mike

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't think they can be user replaced and due to the high voltage of the lights, it is not even recommended that they are opened or adjusted by the owner.
      2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

You can either try re-aiming them (the entire housing rotates up and down via adjustment screws), or go to higher brightness hid bulbs ($200 or so). Check this guy out for some more info: http://www.prolightz.com/
      2015.5 V60 T6 RD - Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

There is an adjustment screw at the top of the light housings themselves. It's an easy job to aim them up a little higher so they don't pool directly in front of the bumper. Re-aiming them slightly makes your existing bulbs work so much better. If you do a quick search I was involved in a thread on one of the subforums discussing the process in greater detail.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Hi guys, sorry for the delayed response, but been busy. Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll first try the adjustment and I'll look for that thread. If that doesn't work then I'll ask the site for a hid kit or bulbs that works. I'll update when all is done

I have a '13 with those lights, & there's a sticker on the light housing that says there's an adjustment tool in the trunk, not that I ever looked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by vroomr View Post
      I have a '13 with those lights, & there's a sticker on the light housing that says there's an adjustment tool in the trunk, not that I ever looked for it.
      Oooh, thank you! I'll take a look next time I'm at my folks house.

I went out and took a look at the sticker -- it says there's a tool for bulb change, not for adjustment. Sorry about my error, but I hope this still helps.

You don't need a special tool, just a 6mm socket and maybe an extension.

See info in this thread beore you change bulbs:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...non-headlights

And also this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ment&p=1339023
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

Thanks for checking!

Quote Originally Posted by Synesis View Post
      You don't need a special tool, just a 6mm socket and maybe an extension.

See info in this thread beore you change bulbs:

And also this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ment&p=1339023
      I'll check this out too!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Thanks for checking was at vroomr

Just to start, Changing the Factory Xenon bulbs is easy and if you know little about changing bulbs you can do it yourself.

I've got the same 13' and i would have to say its not as bright as it once was. That said the scatter pattern that the Pre-Facelift lights gave was rubbish. My Honda Accord Euro (Aka Acura TSX) gave a much more flatter scatter pattern. Much like the Facelift models.

Also you need to remember that these lamps consist of tiny metal suspended in Xenon Gas, so as with anything like this it will deteriorate over time. I do a lot of night driving so my lights are usually on all the time. They say the expected lifespan of these HID's are around 2000hrs.

So if its time to replace these bulbs, Steer clear of the cheap unbranded ones, Stick to the Osram Xenarc or Philips for quality you can trust.
      Johnno

2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue, Off Black, Adaptive Cruise, PCC,Polestar Tune, Heated Front Seats, BLIS, Sunroof, K&N Drop In Filter, Polestar Engineered Cat Back Exhaust

Here's a DIY how to change the Bulbs.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor swedespeed take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To change HID Bulbs from a 2010-2013 Pre-Facelift S60 (I'm sure its similar on the 2014+)

Required:
      - Osram / Philips D3S HID Bulb
      - T20 Torxs Screw driver

Steps:
      1. Open the hood/bonnet of your car. Proceed to remove the retaining clips as shown in the Photo1. Pull the clips up towards the sky and place aside.

Photo1

2. Now carefully pull the headlights assembly towards the front of the car / towards you as shown in Photo2. DO NOT pull too hard as the electrical cabling is still connected.

Photo2

3. Disconnect the electrical cabling. There's a tab where you press down which will allow you to remove the cable connector. Take your time and remember not to pull on the wires. As shown on Photo3.

Photo3

4. Completely remove the Headlight Assembly and place on a bench with some towels to stop scratches. There's 4 T20 Torx screws that need to be removed. Remove these as shown in Photo4.

Photo4

5. Carefully disconnect the cabling attached to the bulb. Pull this down towards the bottom of the headlight assembly. As shown in Photo5.

6. After disconnecting the cabling, turn the tab rotating the locking mechanism to unhinge the bulb. As shown in Photo5.

Photo5

7. Be gentle and pull the bulb out towards you. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS PART OF THE BULB

8. Replace Defective bulb in reverse order.

I hope that helps.
      Johnno

2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue, Off Black, Adaptive Cruise, PCC,Polestar Tune, Heated Front Seats, BLIS, Sunroof, K&N Drop In Filter, Polestar Engineered Cat Back Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by xjohnno View Post
      Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor swedespeed take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To change HID Bulbs from a 2010-2013 Pre-Facelift S60 (I'm sure its similar on the 2014+)
      Nice write up! This could use its own thread and a sticky
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by xjohnno View Post

Nice write up! This could use its own thread and a sticky
      Awesome write up man! Most definitely make this a sticky for the forum.
      Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I'll definitely use this as a guide when changing the bulbs. My folks recently had an oil change at the dealer and they adjusted the lights. So far it's been brighter for them but I need to see for myself how it looks.

Another question for you guys, so Phillips Osram bulbs are good for sure. I've heard about the Mormimotos being good as well. Anyone here have any experience or reviews about the Morimoto HID bulbs?

Thanks again X and all for the help!

Again, I wouldn't automatically assume you'll need to replace your HID bulbs; aiming them up a little higher so the cutoff point isn't so close to the front of your bumper makes all the difference in the world. The stock HIDs have plenty of output, but it's all aimed at the ground seemingly a few feet in front of the car, with pitch blackness directly ahead of you beyond that. It looks like the lights aren't powerful enough to reach further out, but when you aim them up just a few degrees higher (1-2 turns of the adjustment knob--I think I turned the knobs 1.5 turns) you'll see perfectly.

I wonder if the headlights aim down because the U.S. spec cars sit higher in the rear than European market cars, to prevent the cars from bottoming out when carting overweight customers between the Old Country Buffet and Dave and Busters? Usually European market cars seem to sit a little lower; not sure if that's the case here. But if the ride heights are different, and the rear *does* actually look higher than the front, then perhaps that raked stance accounts for the headlights aiming into the ground, and perhaps cars in other markets with a slightly different stance (but presumably the same headlight setting relative to the rest of the car) have their headlights pointing further down the road, no further adjustment needed.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Again, I wouldn't automatically assume you'll need to replace your HID bulbs; aiming them up a little higher so the cutoff point isn't so close to the front of your bumper makes all the difference in the world. The stock HIDs have plenty of output, but it's all aimed at the ground seemingly a few feet in front of the car, with pitch blackness directly ahead of you beyond that. It looks like the lights aren't powerful enough to reach further out, but when you aim them up just a few degrees higher (1-2 turns of the adjustment knob--I think I turned the knobs 1.5 turns) you'll see perfectly.

I wonder if the headlights aim down because the U.S. spec cars sit higher in the rear than European market cars, to prevent the cars from bottoming out when carting overweight customers between the Old Country Buffet and Dave and Busters? Usually European market cars seem to sit a little lower; not sure if that's the case here. But if the ride heights are different, and the rear *does* actually look higher than the front, then perhaps that raked stance accounts for the headlights aiming into the ground, and perhaps cars in other markets with a slightly different stance (but presumably the same headlight setting relative to the rest of the car) have their headlights pointing further down the road, no further adjustment needed.
      Lol old country buffet!

The light output is much better per my folks and I'll have to do a night drive to see it for myself.

Remember that the xenon headlights are self-leveling, so supersize meals should not make a difference.

Has anyone had their bulbs replaced under the Safe and Secure Plan?
      2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

tbh my '13 lately looks dim as well. time for new bulbs..

Awesome thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

Quote Originally Posted by vroomr View Post
      Remember that the xenon headlights are self-leveling, so supersize meals should not make a difference.
      Be that as it may, on at least some cars, like mine, they self-level so that the cutoff point is far too close to the front of the car, creating dangerously poor illumination at night. I'd expect brighter bulbs to simply brighten those focused beams of light even brighter, without necessarily pointing them any further down the road. Manually adjusting them by turning the height adjustment knob has made a lasting improvement. Now they self-level to where they provide functional illumination of the road beyond a carlength in front of me. I was careful to adjust them so they wouldn't blind oncoming traffic, mind you.
      12.99 at 109mph

A cautionary note:

I'm not sure about the HID replacements for our car, but you may want to just get OEM replacements. Despite matching standard numbers for bulbs, sometimes there are slight differences in the sizes and fit of parts used for mounting the bulbs that can result in a loose fit in the housing and movement of the bulb in the housing from vibration. I had this problem with non-HID bulbs in two other cars; the OEM bulbs fit perfectly while two aftermarket bulbs from name-brand makers would not fit right. Furthermore, given the heat output from HID bulbs and the hight cost of replacement headlight housings for adaptive HID headlights, I'd be very wary of aftermarket bulbs causing heat-related problems with the housings and wire harnesses. HID lights are so bright anyway that it probably isn't worth trying for more output. The stock HID headlights on the S60 and V60 are outstanding.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
      A cautionary note:

Furthermore, given the heat output from HID bulbs and the high cost of replacement headlight housings for adaptive HID headlights, I'd be very wary of aftermarket bulbs causing heat-related problems with the housings and wire harnesses.
      Actually HID bulbs produce less heat than their Halogen counterpart, 35 watts as opposed to 55watts (almost all of this is heat). So unless you're changing your HID bulbs to Halogen, sticking with 35 watt HID bulbs shouldn't have any issues with additional heat.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Actually HID bulbs produce less heat than their Halogen counterpart, 35 watts as opposed to 55watts (almost all of this is heat). So unless you're changing your HID bulbs to Halogen, sticking with 35 watt HID bulbs shouldn't have any issues with additional heat.
      Yep which is why a lot of manufactures are using HID/Xenon bulbs as factory standards. Although I know in Australian at least they need to comply with ADR (Australian Design Rules) which means any vehicle fitted with HID/Xenon Head lamps must be fitted with Auto levellers and Headlight washers.

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
      A cautionary note:

I'm not sure about the HID replacements for our car, but you may want to just get OEM replacements. Despite matching standard numbers for bulbs, sometimes there are slight differences in the sizes and fit of parts used for mounting the bulbs that can result in a loose fit in the housing and movement of the bulb in the housing from vibration. I had this problem with non-HID bulbs in two other cars; the OEM bulbs fit perfectly while two aftermarket bulbs from name-brand makers would not fit right. Furthermore, given the heat output from HID bulbs and the hight cost of replacement headlight housings for adaptive HID headlights, I'd be very wary of aftermarket bulbs causing heat-related problems with the housings and wire harnesses. HID lights are so bright anyway that it probably isn't worth trying for more output. The stock HID headlights on the S60 and V60 are outstanding.
      I just bought a new set of Philips D3S for my car and you can definitely tell its a new set over the older Osram ones. Also fitment was perfect nothing lose here. As I mentioned above just stick to your brand named ones and you'll be fine.
      Johnno

Any sweet photos for how to adjust the vertical angle of the lights? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck2020 View Post
      Any sweet photos for how to adjust the vertical angle of the lights? Thanks.
      From post #9 above

2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements