Besides the S40, which car would you choose?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose?

These cars are pretty much all in the same class... just wanted to see what others would choose...

Feel free to add a car that I missed which is IN THE SAME CLASS as the S40. 4 doors as well, not 2 doors. And similar PRICE RANGE

Modified by VolvoINSIDE at 2:46 PM 1-24-2005

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Subaru Legacy GT

ummm... the Audi A4 3.0 is way out of the price range IMO... so I only put the 1.8T

Forgot the Legacy... sorry

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

IMO the A4 3.0 is in the same range and I considered it. The S40 can depending on equipment run up to $41K.

Mason

Modified by mase001 at 3:25 PM 1-24-2005

77 views and a total of 9 votes???? I've only checked this thread 4 times... what's going on here?

Re: (VolvoINSIDE)

Mercedes C230K because that was the last car I drove.

ACURA TL IS NOT IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE S40!!!!

The Acura TL is the same class as the S60... the RL -> S80... TSX -> S40...

Well, the engine and chasis are certainly much bigger, but most of the features are the same as a loaded S40 T5 FWD. As well as the price, which is what makes the TL such a great value.

You have to kind of weigh features vs. price. For instance, I think the S40 T5 equates more to a 330 than a 325, even though the 330 can be over 40K fully loaded.

3.30... fine... not a problem... but the TL is in the next class up

for the same price, subary legacy GT.
      if money was not an option then the bmw.

I think the fact that (as of current) most people have considered the TL as a direct alternate for the S40 means it is in the same class.

For me it certainly was--diff. engine, size and feel, but the $$ was very similar--only a few K different.

This topic was covered in an earlier thread--not sure if it was archived, though.

VolvoINSIDE, no offense, but maybe you should just let the poll go where it goes and not worry about who adds what car. If people add it, it means they considered it in their "range" and of the same class. Remember that sticker prices and what people pay are two seperate things, so a lot of cars that seem like they aren't in the same class end up in fact being competitors. Plus, people's ideas of same class/price range differ. For example, I'm not sure what price range's you wanted people to pick in but seeing as a S40 can range from about $20k to about $41k depending on options, trim level and negotiation skills, thats a big range. For me (the one who added Audi A4 3.0), sticker was about $32K, and I got it for $25K. My range in deciding was based off sticker because I didnt know when choosing cars how low I could get them to go. So, based on $32K, my "range" was $27K to $37K i.e. $10k spread. Maybe others range is $5K, maybe others $15k, etc.

It is a good poll, and thank you for it. You just seem stressed by the fact that people are adding cars you don't deem similar (head banging on wall icons), and don't recognize that for them they are the same class.
      Mason

Hey mason, I agree that based on the price it would be in the same class. But technically based on the chasis, it is not.

If class was by price, then the BMW 3 series SUV, Mercedes ML320, Lexus RX300, Acura MDX, etc. are all in the $30K-$40K price range. But, it is obvious that they are in a completely different class.

There's no problem adding in other cars, and that's why I gave the option to let others include their choices. I'm not against the TL, I did take a look at the TL as well when I was shopping for cars. Not because of the class, but because of the price.

I'm surprised to see the Legacy GT is on top.

Forgive me for the . I just like the icon and think it's funny.

Thanks for all the votes!!! I'm glad to see that the other S40 owners didn't vote for the Jetta and nobody included the pASSat. I hate VW.

No reason for an apology, as I like the icon too and I wasnt offended. I just would have been a little bit if I had added the TL and got the haed bang icon in reply. Now, I am not saying that an SUV, Pickup, etc is same class, but the above cars are all 4 door sedans. Thats the class I thought of when I voted.

Yes, S40 is a 4 door luxury??? (I find it luxurious at least) sedan. But it is also an entry-level sedan. The TL is a mid-size sedan, like the S60.

Please don't mind the stubborn technical aspect in my personality, I am an engineer after all.

Re: POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose? (VolvoINSIDE)

As far as bargain goes, the TL is probably the best deal, but Legacy GT is AWD(something to ponder about). Same w/ the A4 quattro, 330xi, S60R (pricey). I think all these cars are pretty fun to drive (except the Benz... horrible handling in IMO). They all make pretty good daily drivers with the execption of the RWDs if you're in an area that gets a lot of snow or rain.

Perhaps the question that should be asked is not "which car would you choose?" but rather "Which car suits you best in your daily driving environment and climate?"

2006 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race
      2006 Volvo XC90 Ocean Race
      2000 Volvo V70R (Laser Blue) ::SOLD::
      2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring (Plasma Green) ::SOLD::
      2004 Volvo S60R (Flash Green) ::SOLD::
      1998 Volvo V70 NA (White) ::SOLD::

Hmm... Looks like you'll have to set up a new Poll.

Re:

Ugh! On a tangent, I saw Subaru's new 7 passenger SUV today outside of the Subi plant here in Lafayette. I looked online and it's dubbed the B9X...All I have to say is eww. I don't think I've seen such an ugly production car. It looks like a van (Can anyone say Mecerdes M class?) Just my 2 cents

Re:

I'm suprised that so many people are mentioning the Legacy GT(i suspect you mean the Limited version) and the TL. The 2.5 GT motor is nasty, but IMHO it is not a good looking car AT ALL, and the interior and ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. They are succeeding buy throwing a rally engine in a car that otherwise no one else would give a second thought. (If you read the Car and Driver head to head with the GT, S40, 1.8T, and TSX you will see that the GT and S40 were pretty close in performance, with the GT on top)

The TL, on the other hand, is a great looking car, but when I test drove it reminded me too much of a camry, and that is my complaint against all of the honda/acura line. Its just a good, solid car with some nice gadgets and while it has a lot of horsepower, I found it boring, and not much better than my buddies Honda Accord. It is a great value but it is not a sports sedan, its a big car. I went to a dealer 2 months ago convinced that it was my car, but found out that it was just another car.

I guess I would buy another audi if I hadn't stumbled upon the S40. I like turbocharged cars and a visceral driving experience, and I don't mind the luxuries provided. I guess if someone built a car with the TLs value, the Legacy GT Ltd engine, and the rest of it was an S40 I would buy it, but that car doesn't exist(and if it does it costs over 45grand and is built in Bavaria).

Did you check out the Saab 9-3??

Come on you guys, you forgot the V50. If not the V50 then definitely the S60R, only Volvo for me.
      Swedish Chariots
      Auto Club
      // Motorsports ~ Est. 2011

2005 S60 R Silver/Nordkap 6MT (Beverly Gray)
      2003 S60 2.4 Black/Graphite Cloth 5MT (Pebbles)
      (Former Volvos: 07 XC90 3.2, 04 V70 2.4, 05 XC90 V8, 07 XC70 2.5T, 05 S40 T5, 04 S60 T5)

Re: Re: (MHadden)

Yecch - look at that nose! Looks like Cayenne superglued to a Santa Fe or something. Well, who ever bought a Subie for the styling...

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: Re: (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
      Yecch - look at that nose! Looks like Cayenne superglued to a Santa Fe or something. Well, who ever bought a Subie for the styling...

Tom.

Ya know, it does! lol. The new STi is going to have that same front facia...gross!

Some quick complaints about this list....
      Having the A4 twice, even though with different engines, is silly.
      Should'nt have both the TSX and TL up there.
      Shouldn't have two seperate 3-series up there.
      There should not be either the corolla or the jetta.
      There should also not be the V50.

Re: (BigT)

These cars can be arranged in all sorts of classes like money and EPA class, but I think these are all by EPA class, not cost. Notice that they are all subcompact sedans, minus the TL, TSX, and Legacy. Although it is crap that the S60 isn't classified as a midsize...

My thought was: the title says "..which car would you choose?"

So, naturally, the results are what other cars people were looking at when they decided for the S40. There is no "class" discussion or need of it--that is for comparing specifications, but as we all know, people have a huge range of factors when they make decisions, so to me, any insight this thread generates is strictly due to the variance in responses (or lack thereof).

Quote, originally posted by BigT »
      There should also not be the V50.

Well, before I bought my car me and my fiance' was considering the V50.
      Swedish Chariots
      Auto Club
      // Motorsports ~ Est. 2011

2005 S60 R Silver/Nordkap 6MT (Beverly Gray)
      2003 S60 2.4 Black/Graphite Cloth 5MT (Pebbles)
      (Former Volvos: 07 XC90 3.2, 04 V70 2.4, 05 XC90 V8, 07 XC70 2.5T, 05 S40 T5, 04 S60 T5)

NOOOO!!!! THE AUDI A4 TOOK OVER THE SAAB!!!!

NOOOO!!!! THE BMW 3.30 HAS CAUGHT UP!!!!!

Modified by VolvoINSIDE at 11:09 PM 1-27-2005

Mazda RX-8 Velocity Red

Re: POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose? (Vortex)

Mazdaspeed 6, aka MPS6 would be the only other car I'd be considering. I'm having a hard time deciding between these two cars, I really like both of them very much. However, I need to compare them for interior size (back seats mainly) to my 854Turbo. I suspect either will be too small, or I may have to rethink my rear seat roominess needs.

Not sure if the S50/V40 AWD T5 comes w/LSDs but it'd be interesting to lknow. The Mazdaspeed6 has front and rear LSDs. I'd love to see a car-rag do a head-to-head. I'd have to consider pricing too, since I could get the MPS6 for employee pricing, but the OSD price of an S40 is very good.

The Subaru only has a 5speed if you want a MT. That knocks it off my list, aside from that I don't like the styling.

Re: POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose? (javadoc)

How can the S60R be leading the poll? Futher more, why is it even in the running? The S60R and the S40 are not in the same class, nor are they of similar price. Of course everyone (or nearly such) would choose the S60R if it were price comparable to the S40.

Re: POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose? (javadoc)

Quote, originally posted by javadoc »
      Mazdaspeed 6, aka MPS6 would be the only other car I'd be considering.

I understand your dillema. The Mazda is very tempting. It's very price comepetitive and it outperforms the S40. But, the S40 is classier. The Mazda's styling is just screaming, "LOOK AT ME! I'm really fast!" And indeed, it is. But there's no reason to shout. The S40 T5 is much more subtle.

I say go for the OSD. Enjoy your trip. If you really need the performance come back and get an ECU upgrade. The S40 will get you were you want to go in a hurry and you'll look good while you're going.

Re: POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose? (nicho1as)

Quote, originally posted by nicho1as »
      How can the S60R be leading the poll? Futher more, why is it even in the running? The S60R and the S40 are not in the same class, nor are they of similar price. Of course everyone (or nearly such) would choose the S60R if it were price comparable to the S40.

I completely agree with you... The TL shouldn't be in here either... But... these were cars that others were considering buying besides the S40... So i stopped complaining and let the Poll go the way it is... I do like the outcome though... and I'm extremely glad that there are no VW fans in here... oh boy do I dislike VW...

Quote, originally posted by VolvoINSIDE »
      oh boy do I dislike VW...

We won't go there

Re: POLL: Besides the S40, which car would you choose? (MHadden)

lol....jetta

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast