Droning / Howling noise while driving V60 Polestar - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Michelin PSS are the #1 rated Ultra Performance Street tire every single year. That will finally change this year when they get replaced with the PS4S.
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Englishbloke View Post
      Its very unlikely the PS4S will solve this, had this confirmed by michelin!
      What your hearing is 'tyre cavity noise', google it.
      The only way to cure this is with an acoustic foam band in the tyre, which some tyre manufacturers do, but not in our size.
      I did Google it... seems like maybe changing PSI might help some? Anyone experimented with this?

Are 19" tires available with an acoustic foam band? (235/40/19 or 245/40/19)? I would change from 20s to 19s in a heartbeat if it would cure this tire cavity noise that I get from 60 MPH and up. Worst on concrete. Expansion joints are like banging a drum. I added a roughly 4'x4' square of 1lb Mass Loaded Vinyl under the rear cargo tray and it helps some but definitely looking for a better cure.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      I did Google it... seems like maybe changing PSI might help some? Anyone experimented with this?

Are 19" tires available with an acoustic foam band? (235/40/19 or 245/40/19)? I would change from 20s to 19s in a heartbeat if it would cure this tire cavity noise that I get from 60 MPH and up. Worst on concrete. Expansion joints are like banging a drum. I added a roughly 4'x4' square of 1lb Mass Loaded Vinyl under the rear cargo tray and it helps some but definitely looking for a better cure.
      I had the chance to tryout the PS4S today on concrete surface and strangely its a massive improvement over noise witnessed with PSS. The noise is still there but bearable. I am surprised as well as pleased!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had the chance to tryout the PS4S today on concrete surface and strangely its a massive improvement over noise witnessed with PSS. The noise is still there but bearable. I am surprised as well as pleased!

What tire pressures were you running on each set?

I just realized all my PSS were set to 33PSI (in 65F temperature garage). I upped them all to 38PSI cold and went for a drive and it seemed like there is less of that resonant tire noise than before. Should note that I also set the Ohlins to 16F 14R (were at 10/10) before this drive. After the drive everything was 40PSI ("hot"). I might try a couple more PSI later, though with the seasons as they are the "cold" PSI will go up a bit anyway...
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Is there something strange about the Michelin PSS tyres.

I had excessive wear on the outside of mine ( see separate thread). The Volvo dealer could find no geometry issues. They told me the compound on the outside is softer on the outside ( I don't believe it, but I'll be happy if someone can confirm that), Strangely, I parked on my daughter's block paviour drive ( excuse the spelling please if it is wrong !). The rubber on maybe 1/4 or 1/3 on the outside did look different to the rest of the tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamR View Post
      Is there something strange about the Michelin PSS tyres.

I had excessive wear on the outside of mine ( see separate thread). The Volvo dealer could find no geometry issues. They told me the compound on the outside is softer on the outside ( I don't believe it, but I'll be happy if someone can confirm that), Strangely, I parked on my daughter's block paviour drive ( excuse the spelling please if it is wrong !). The rubber on maybe 1/4 or 1/3 on the outside did look different to the rest of the tyre.
      There is no visible unusual wear on my V60P's PSS tires. Seems very even - about 5-6mm of tread everywhere.

What tire pressures were you running on each set?

I just realized all my PSS were set to 33PSI (in 65F temperature garage). I upped them all to 38PSI cold and went for a drive and it seemed like there is less of that resonant tire noise than before. Should note that I also set the Ohlins to 16F 14R (were at 10/10) before this drive. After the drive everything was 40PSI ("hot"). I might try a couple more PSI later, though with the seasons as they are the "cold" PSI will go up a bit anyway...
      For me same psi and suspension settings. Between the two. 36psi hot.

There is no visible unusual wear on my V60P's PSS tires. Seems very even - about 5-6mm of tread everywhere.
      Over the 3/4 inner tread part of the tyres, the wear on mine is indeed very even. I'm going to go to a non Volvo garage with alignment checking facilities.

Has anyone tried running 19 inch summers to alleviate this issue?

Has anyone tried running 19 inch summers to alleviate this issue?
      I tried the original Polestar 19" tires with friction winter tires. The humming/whining noise was still there. Tried to soften the suspension from 10 to 12 but no difference. Tried less PSI and more PSI, no difference :-(
      Will try to stiffen the suspension and see what happens...
      BTW I am on Michelin Super Sport too.
      Since I have friends working at Volvo development here in Gothenburg I have talked to them, but no one seems to knows anything...

This is really diving me nuts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johan6504 View Post
      I tried the original Polestar 19" tires with friction winter tires. The humming/whining noise was still there. Tried to soften the suspension from 10 to 12 but no difference. Tried less PSI and more PSI, no difference :-(
      Since I have friends working at Volvo development here in Gothenburg I have talked to them, but no one seems to knows anything...

Have you tried Polestar wheels with the factory Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on a non-Polestar S60 or V60 to see if the problem "moves" with the tire setup? (Or not?)

I'm tempted to try my Polestar wheels on my S80 to see if the noise follows or not.

Do P* cars have bespoke suspension bushings/mounts that are firmer and thus would transmit tire noise/vibrations unlike in any other Volvo?

Noise still better?

Have you noticed any difference in noise with the temperature (ambient or car itself)?

I tried my snow tires last weekend as an experiment and I thought it was a lot better until things "warmed up" and then the noise was back with a vengeance.

Noise still better?

Have you noticed any difference in noise with the temperature (ambient or car itself)?

I tried my snow tires last weekend as an experiment and I thought it was a lot better until things "warmed up" and then the noise was back with a vengeance.
      Yes still better.
      I have noticed that i have had to increase tires by 2psi over PSS, as the side walls appear to be softer, so some cornering stiffness is kept.

I have also run Michelin Alpin winters and they also give an improvement.

Not noted any differences due to temperature

Yes still better.
      I have noticed that i have had to increase tires by 2psi over PSS, as the side walls appear to be softer, so some cornering stiffness is kept.

I have also run Michelin Alpin winters and they also give an improvement.

Not noted any differences due to temperature

So your saying the sidewalls on the ps4 are softer than the pss. Wow thats not good.

I'm starting this thread to understand how many owners have or have not got this issue on production built Polestar's.

While driving at cruising speeds above 60 MPH, i get an awful noise within the cabin, which sounds like someone blowing into a bottle. It seems like an air borne noise that can be heard within the front seats area, and is like having two loud speakers either side. Sitting in the rear, so I am told, is much better but still present.
      Just to be clear here, the car does have road noise like any other car with low profiles and this is expectable to me. however, get to 60 and as the speed increases the noise increases exponentially every 1mph and is at its worse about 65>70mph, it then seems to stay at this level as the speed increases.
      The vehicle is standard, as it left the factory! wheels, tyres, suspension not changed. It doesn't have roof rails or a roof box. Its not wind noise either. All under shields are in place and secured!
      I have suddenly acquired the same sound. Only mine is around half your speed and its affected by throttle.
      It sounds like someone blowing over the opening of a coke bottle inside the air vents.
      Yes I have verified this with the air on full on off - no difference.

It happends when I drive easy and coast around.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

Droning / Howling noise while driving V60 Polestar

Last edited by Fmfosnacht; 05-31-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      I have suddenly acquired the same sound. Only mine is around half your speed and its affected by throttle.
      It sounds like someone blowing over the opening of a coke bottle inside the air vents.
      Yes I have verified this with the air on full on off - no difference.

It happends when I drive easy and coast around.
      Does the "pitch" of the sound change in relation to vehicle speed on yours?

In my P*, the pitch is always the same. Once it starts happening 55MPH+ it doesn't change pitch at all as you up the speed (or reduce it). It just gets a lot quieter when you slow way down (<40 MPH).

It seems like at high enough speed "something" (maybe the tires?) is triggering resonance of something else - and that vibration/resonance is always the same pitch.

Does the "pitch" of the sound change in relation to vehicle speed on yours?

In my P*, the pitch is always the same. Once it starts happening 55MPH+ it doesn't change pitch at all as you up the speed (or reduce it). It just gets a lot quieter when you slow way down (<40 MPH).
      No, speed does not affect it. Its only around 50 - 60kmhr and very inconsistent. It doesn't do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by johan6504 View Post

Same here... I've added extensive sound insulation to the interior of the car (under the rear seat, rear wheel wells, rear cargo floor and sides, under the front carpets including the wheel wells, heck even the roof) and while it made the car generally quieter, this humming/"blowing over a bottle" noise isn't any less. If anything it sounds relatively "louder" now that I made the rest of the car more quiet...

To try to detail my sound a bit more:
      - It is worst at 65+ MPH but you will start to hear at even in the 30s on certain pavement.
      - It is worst on concrete, particularly heavily grooved concrete, but you can still hear it quite noticeably on asphalt or really any surface.
      - I tried my winter set (Polestar 19s with the "standard" Pirelli snow tires) and the same sound still happens - maybe not quite as bad, but still very unacceptably loud
      - Cornering/accelerating/braking has no affect on the sound.
      - The pitch of the sound is ALWAYS the same - it just varies in volume/loudness - hitting expansion joints will "spike" the volume like hitting a drum
      - When it's really loud (70+ MPH) you can actually touch the windshield and feel it vibrating with the pitch of the hum. So it seems like this noise is coming through the tires/wheels/chassis somehow rather than being a noise emitting from the tire, through the air, and then back to the car maybe?

My next "test" will be to try these 20s on my S80 V8 and see if the problem noise "follows the tires" so to speak. If it doesn't, then I may be off to the dealer to see what they can figure out... There is also V60P #8 in the area and I will try to go have a listen to that car and see how it compares if time allows. I may also just hook up a good mic to my gopro and get a recording of the noise just so we can all hear it and compare.
      Last edited by Warpedcow; 06-07-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Droning / Howling noise while driving V60 Polestar

No issues on 63/80

Including low end tires
      --
      --
      Last edited by myvolvodream; 06-06-2017 at 09:54 PM.
      2013 xc60 R-Design Rebel Blue

Quote Originally Posted by myvolvodream View Post
      No issues on 63/80

Including low end tires
      --
      --
      OK now I am confused. Those look like the 20" Polestar wheels but you have 19" tires on them. My 19" Polestar wheels look very different...?

Did you have a bad noise with the OEM Michelin PSS?

OK just figured out there are two completely different 19" polestar wheels:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/genui...olestar-wheel/

http://www.vivaperformance.com/genui...ht-matte-grey/

Same here... I've added extensive sound insulation to the interior of the car (under the rear seat, rear wheel wells, rear cargo floor and sides, under the front carpets including the wheel wells, heck even the roof) and while it made the car generally quieter, this humming/"blowing over a bottle" noise isn't any less. If anything it sounds relatively "louder" now that I made the rest of the car more quiet....
      Hi mate,
      I'll ask you to do a simple test as I'm 95% sure you have a worn PCV / breather box that needs replacement.
      Step 1. With engine running, pop the hood and pull the dip stick.
      - If it creates a sucking / whoosh noise then you have a stuffed PCV/breather box. Thats your problem and cause for the noise in cabin.

Hi mate,
      I'll ask you to do a simple test as I'm 95% sure you have a worn PCV / breather box that needs replacement.
      - If it creates a sucking / whoosh noise then you have a stuffed PCV/breather box. Thats your problem and cause for the noise in cabin.
      Why would PCV / breather box noise be completely vehicle speed dependent and not at all engine speed dependent?

Why would PCV / breather box noise be completely vehicle speed dependent and not at all engine speed dependent?
      Because Volvo.
      Ive got the same problem.

Because Volvo.
      Ive got the same problem.
      If the PCV / breather box is "healthy" then removing the dipstick should cause no noticeable change in noise?
      I have two different T6 motors I can test this on to compare...

OK now I am confused. Those look like the 20" Polestar wheels but you have 19" tires on them. My 19" Polestar wheels look very different...?

Did you have a bad noise with the OEM Michelin PSS?

Only kept the pss for 9,000 miles ( no noise I can think of )
      1 failed

Replaced with Bridgestone re760's

No issues with them

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/31435954

The only thing I can think of different on our car is the front wing let's have never been mounted

? Is windage under the car a contributor ?
      Last edited by myvolvodream; 06-06-2017 at 11:42 PM.
      2013 xc60 R-Design Rebel Blue

My experience with this droning noise is it is highly dependent on the road surface; grooved concrete being the worst and smooth asphalt being the best. These transitions can happen quickly on Socal freeways and the noise is clearly associated with the change in surface.

Also, as I have reported before, switching out to the VST springs changed the pitch. So, in the case of my car, it is not the PCV/Breather Box.

I'm very interested in the outcome of the test of the wheel/tire combo on the R Design.

Hi mate,
      Nope. Engine running, ear placed nearish the dipstick, I remove the dipstick and the sounds I hear do not change at all. Pretty sure your issue is not related at all to the Polestar issue others are reporting in this thread. I will try to get a recording of my noise (I have a really nice mic) tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarII View Post
      My experience with this droning noise is it is highly dependent on the road surface; grooved concrete being the worst and smooth asphalt being the best. These transitions can happen quickly on Socal freeways and the noise is clearly associated with the change in surface.

Also, as I have reported before, switching out to the VST springs changed the pitch. So, in the case of my car, it is not the PCV/Breather Box.

I'm very interested in the outcome of the test of the wheel/tire combo on the R Design.
      Who is testing on the R Design?

Are you still on original OEM Michelin PSS? Have you ever run snow tires or any other tire?

Quote Originally Posted by myvolvodream View Post
      ? Is windage under the car a contributor ?
      Doubtful given the wide range of speeds you get the noise in, plus it seems to vary in magnitude by pavement type. On top of that, when you hit a bump (like an expansion joint in the road) the noise is suddenly louder like a short "bang" of a drum (still the same pitch).

Nope. Engine running, ear placed nearish the dipstick, I remove the dipstick and the sounds I hear do not change at all. Pretty sure your issue is not related at all to the Polestar issue others are reporting in this thread. I will try to get a recording of my noise (I have a really nice mic) tonight.
      Well the good news is your PCV system is still working fine

Well the good news is your PCV system is still working fine
      It ought to be with a whopping 8000 miles on the car... I will have a video of my noise up shortly...

So here is my recording of the tire noise I have that has been discussed in a few recent threads. Appreciate replies to indicate whether this sounds like your noise also or something different. Note the description on Youtube as well. Mic captured it pretty well - only difference would be maybe that the annoying noise seems relatively louder in person, though maybe that is just a matter of the noise echoing louder where the driver's ears are vs where the mic was.

I am on the original MSS tires with 12,000 miles.

Right at 44-48 seconds our two cars sound pretty much the same. I hear a collection of other noises on the rest of the clip.

I have also discussed the change in pitch with two other owners who have installed the VST lowering springs. Upon first driving the car your will swear that "smoothing is loose". Nothing is loose, it just sounds like there is. I have over 10,000 miles on my VST's including two stints at Willow Springs and nothing is loose. After awhile your brain accepts this and you pretty much adapt to the change in pitch. I have installed spring silencers, which I think does help. There is some new freeway concrete near my house that has a very aggressive groove pattern and this puts the drone on overdrive. When I hit really smooth asphalt the car is quiet.

I think it is the tires. I'd like to hear from people who have run other brands or combinations. If I were using this car as a daily family hauler I would switch to 19's and look for good riding tire (Toyo?) and swap into the 20's for canyon sessions.

Another option might be to put sound mat behind the plastic inner fender liners, that could help some.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast