What is Polestar?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What is Polestar?

I keep seeing a lot of discussion about this, and get that it has something do with with a sportier performance, but what exactly is it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

To put it in simple and easy words:
      Transmission tuned to be more responsive (up-shifting is delayed a little bit).
      Engine is a little more powerful.
      Gas pedal and throttle position probably is tuned too.
      Mid-range (30 to 60mph or something) acceleration is better. Driving feeling is better.
      Last edited by goVolvo; 06-05-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Polestar is a Volvo performance tuning company, similar to the M division of BMW, AMG division of Mercedes, SVT division of Ford, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's software that adds more horsepower, Torque, And throttle response. Developed by a company called polestar, They do tuning for the volvo race teams. Last check it was around 800 bucks. When you break it down to h.p gained per dollar spent it is a good deal.

And a short link to all things there:
      http://polestar.com

Since it's a software only upgrade, it surprises me that they don't offer a week long trial or similar. It wouldn't be too hard to organise the upgrade to uninstall itself after the trial. And I'd think many more might take it up if they could find out what it was like.

Quote Originally Posted by tillsbury View Post
      Since it's a software only upgrade, it surprises me that they don't offer a week long trial or similar. It wouldn't be too hard to organise the upgrade to uninstall itself after the trial. And I'd think many more might take it up if they could find out what it was like.
      But there is labor hour (1hr?) for install and also uninstall.

It wouldn't need uninstalling - demo software can easily time out after a certain length of time. I can't see why it would need much in the way of installation but even so if there was a 1 hour labour cost to install that wouldn't be too bad, or they could more reasonably consider it advertising cost which is what it would be. I'm just suggesting that more users might take it on if they could find out what they got for their money apart from the car being "better", or understand why the engine software isn't set up efficiently in the first place.

It wouldn't need uninstalling - demo software can easily time out after a certain length of time. I can't see why it would need much in the way of installation but even so if there was a 1 hour labour cost to install that wouldn't be too bad, or they could more reasonably consider it advertising cost which is what it would be. I'm just suggesting that more users might take it on if they could find out what they got for their money apart from the car being "better", or understand why the engine software isn't set up efficiently in the first place.
      It is software but not like an app installed on phone. There are many micro-controllers in the car and each has the software (or firmware) stored within the module. The software package usually consists of multiple pieces that has to be flashed into the right position of the memory.

Of course the system can be designed to have a master processor taking care of installation and rollback automatically but it takes much more development effort to reach the goal, with robustness. And you don't want people to adjust the clock back a week and still try to use the trial version.

The ECU might not even have space to store multiple tunes. Polestar is most likely replacing parts or all of the code with their version and the only way to go back is flash back to the original.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

You have 30 days after you install Polestar to uninstall it if you don't like it. You get your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      You have 30 days after you install Polestar to uninstall it if you don't like it. You get your money back.
      Do you? Well that makes quite a difference. If only the Volvo dealer here knew that :-)

Do you? Well that makes quite a difference. If only the Volvo dealer here knew that :-)
      My dealership confirmed that. They said everybody loves it and nobody has uninstalled it so far, but it is a good policy.

As someone who's installed a ton of software, mostly P1,P2,P3 but have done a lot of work on the SPA cars in the form of maintenance, Pre-delivery inspections... Etc. The polestar software would take too much time to install for anyone to just run it for a week. Maybe once we get the Wi-Fi enabled data connection on the SPA vehicles, it will be more feasible to do things like this.

Well it looks like there's effectively a one-month trial on offer at no cost. So I will check that out.

Not true. There is no "demo" software but if you don't like it, you can get a refund in either 15 or 30 days, (not sure which), after that it's yours.
      After you have it trust me you will not want to get rid of it!
      It's THAT big a difference especially the transmission software.
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Real question, can you simply take your car in and have the upgrade done? Any downsides?

Happy Motoring, your mileage may vary. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevebagley View Post
      Real question, can you simply take your car in and have the upgrade done? Any downsides?

Other than cost you mean???
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Yes. Dropping a grand for something that will cause issues on a stock unit is not good.....

Yes, you simply take your XC90 in to the dealer. Give them the money (exact cost is negotiable, but usually north of the $800 quoted somewhere above). Then, in about 1 hour you have an XC90 with the Polestar upgrade.

Also, if your dealer has the kits in stock, they will apply the polestar badge to the back. If not, you will get a kit in the mail once you register your vehicle with Polestar.

Please keep in mind that Polestar is Volvo. This is not some third party tuning package.

We have had the Polestar on our XC90 for a little while now and love it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. My dealer has had 6 of us do this to our XC90s so far. All 6 of us are super happy. Zero issues due to the Polestar upgrade.

Only downside is that it costs money.
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar✦ - Osmium Grey / Bowers & Wilkins / Climate / Convenience / Vision / Air Suspension / HUD
      2016 Audi S3 - Sepang Blue

XC60 will run like a raped ape, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rwparker35 View Post
      Yes, you simply take your XC90 in to the dealer. Give them the money (exact cost is negotiable, but usually north of the $800 quoted somewhere above). Then, in about 1 hour you have an XC90 with the Polestar upgrade.

Also, if your dealer has the kits in stock, they will apply the polestar badge to the back. If not, you will get a kit in the mail once you register your vehicle with Polestar.

Please keep in mind that Polestar is Volvo. This is not some third party tuning package.

We have had the Polestar on our XC90 for a little while now and love it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. My dealer has had 6 of us do this to our XC90s so far. All 6 of us are super happy. Zero issues due to the Polestar upgrade.

Only downside is that it costs money.
      I agree, The upgrade made me no longer miss my 2006 S60 R which, if you ever drove one, would assure you it is worth it. I am not saying it replaces the R totally it just made me more comfortable with the performance compared to what I felt with the stock engine.
      Last edited by shadow90; 01-16-2017 at 01:36 PM.
      Current car 2016 Volvo Xc90 momentum+Polestar 20" vision and convenience + air
      Past Car 2006 Volvo S60r

XC60 will run like a raped ape, huh?

I would say its more like a slightly annoyed ape.

Definitely better than stock, but it doesn't turn it into a BMW X5m or Porsche Cayenne Turbo S.
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar✦ - Osmium Grey / Bowers & Wilkins / Climate / Convenience / Vision / Air Suspension / HUD
      2016 Audi S3 - Sepang Blue

Yes. Dropping a grand for something that will cause issues on a stock unit is not good.....

What are you talking about????
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Annoyed is better than content.

Annoyed is better than content.

Your reply does not make sense but that's OK!
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements