SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tires

7K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  TexaS60r 
#1 ·
How are tires holding up?

I'm having to replace at 17.5K, but only because of alignment issue with front wheels. Without the alignment issue I would expect at least 25K. Michelin Pilot SS's on back order, (end of July), through Volvo, so dealer getting from another source. I usually get my tires from Tire Rack, but dealer giving better deal when you take into account mounting and shipping.

#2 ·
Replaced my first set at 14k under the tread warranty(http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?260089-Fyi-michelin-tire-warrantee). Had a front alignment issue as well which led to my front left tire going straight to the wear band on the inside despite 2 tire rotations. Without me even knowing it, I got Pilot SS K1's. Sounds like these are the only Super Sports available right now in our size.

#3 ·
Replaced my first set at 14k. Had a front alignment issue as well which led to my front left tire going straight to the wear band on the inside despite 2 tire rotations. Without me even knowing it, I got Pilot SS K1's. Sounds like these are the only Super Sports available right now in our size.
Sounds like folks should check their alignment. I had the exact same issue. Left front with excessive wear to the inside. Worn to the cord. I do not think dealers check alignment during a PDI and that would indicate they are coming from the factory out of alignment (one could be happenstance, but 2 starts to indicate a problem). Tire Rack does show K2 and K3 in stock in our size, but I cannot seem to get a definition of the difference. Anyway K1 should work just fine.

#5 ·
Sounds like folks should check their alignment. I had the exact same issue. Left front with excessive wear to the inside. Worn to the cord. I do not think dealers check alignment during a PDI and that would indicate they are coming from the factory out of alignment (one could be happenstance, but 2 starts to indicate a problem). Tire Rack does show K2 and K3 in stock in our size, but I cannot seem to get a definition of the difference. Anyway K1 should work just fine.
My '16 V60 P* was also delivered to me with a significant alignment issue, which was easily noticed on my 100 mile drive home from the dealership.

I got a lot of b.s. dealer-speak, but luckily my local shop (a non-P* dealer) was able to re-align the following day. Suffice it to say that I was unhappy with both the alignment-problem and the response from the selling dealer.

Now we're up to at least 3 cars delivered this way, and perhaps this issue deserves it's own thread...?

#6 ·
I am at the dealer today having the alignment checked. It seems like my Pilot SS's were all wearing on the inside...after 3,000 miles....measuring 8/32, 8/32, and 7/32 in the 3 grooves across the tire. I am being advised the camber is not adjustable on the car and that the suspension angles are intentional.

Watch those tires!

#7 ·
The alignment issues and the extreme camber on the cars are 2 different things with compounding results. In the US roads are crowned, so front left tires usually have no camber to minimize wear. Volvo decided to go for performance over wear and has an extreme -1.1 camber on the front left tire. This matches cars that are setup as track specials (Cayman R, Lotus Elise, etc.). This leads to extreme wear on the front left tire. Now add onto that a messed up alignment, which a number of us have had and the issue is magnified. That leads to a front left tire that looks like this after 14k miles despite 2 tire rotations...

Here is my alignment sheet to show you how off it was...

#12 ·
My tire looked the same as P50GT above. This issue was toe. The right front toe was out and somehow that impacted the left front tire (I am not a mechanic). The right front tire had wear, but not down to the cord. Toe being out produces cupping which is evident in the picture above and was quite pronounced on my tires. Negative camber will increase wear on the inside shoulder; however, it is usually even around the circumference. As P50GT said, the road crown plays a role. Here in the Southeast, the roads tend to have a higher crown than out in California; however, I've never seen any greater wear here than when I lived in the Bay Area. I've had two M3s and a Toyota MR2 Gen II. All had more than the customers negative camber on the rear wheels and all wore their inside shoulder; however, it was even all the way around.

#13 ·
My alignment must be fine, no uneven wear, 14K and tires look like they will go another 14K.

#14 · (Edited)
You're not driving it hard enough 😋. There really is no reason for so many of us to have our alignments falling out of whack so easily. Or roads here are not bad enough to cause it alone.

#15 ·
After seeing that picture I immediately went underneath the car to check for uneven wear, I had them rotated at 7K. But, you are somewhat correct, I don't drive the car that hard, most of the miles are a stop and go 14 mile commute.

#16 ·
And a good percentage of my miles are highly spirited drives through the hills/mountains so a difference in wear makes sense but still we shouldn't have so many people with screwed up alignments. My rear tires still had a good 14k+ miles left on them when replaced. I had rotated at 6k and again after powder coating(not sure on mileage).

#17 ·
I recognise that printout as coming from a Hunter machine. Which model from the menu did you use ? There isn't a specific one for Polestar . . .

(One of my fronts was like P50GTs after 8000 miles, both now replaced)

#19 ·
Mine Was Out Of Alignment As Well.... Slight Pull Left On Highway..... Also, Tires Were Noisy On Certain Concrete Types.... After, Re-Alignment, No Pull Left & Tires Are Quieter On That Stretch Of Highway....

#20 ·
17,600 miles

I just to the stock summer tires off for the second time; all four were @ 2mm middle and outboard, inboard was slightly less. I would have left them on for a few more weeks (trying to get to 15 Dec, the historic first day of sub 40°F here in the Holy City) but the front driver was losing 3# of air every two days. There wasn't enough meat on the tire to warrant repair. I don't plug and I didn't want the wear & tear on the rim for the want of a mm or two. They saw 4,700 miles the first stint, 12,900(one intermittent rotation) on the second stint, for a total of 17,600. If it were not for the air loser, I might have attempted 20,000. Thanks to a kindly member here who did not find MPSS suiting his needs, I will have those (almost) new busted on come spring - around Valentines Day here in the Cradle of the Civil War. Had I not secured the extra MPSS last year, I would most likely have been looking to get MPSS K3 for their bonus width.
Sitting in an S90, whilst the tires swap was going, I was told that the 255/35/20's on the S90 have a distinctive 'VOL' designation. (Like N0 - for Porsche). My man promised me "Spring" for the V90's. -bw

#21 ·
This trend of Make specific tires is not a positive one. There is so little difference between all of them that it really just comes down to Marketing. A tread that goes a slightly different direction or in the case of the MSS K1 slightly less weight. What it ends up leading to is tire shortages because there are too many SKU's. The performance difference between the standard MSS and the MSS K1(Ferrari Spec) that I have on is imperceptible from our standpoint on a DD. There may not have been a shortage of standard MSS in the US if there weren't so many different versions of them.

#22 ·
TRUF -mk

#24 ·
Wouldn't have anything else. I've had the Pilot SuperSports on my M3 and now the Polestar. My original tires were replaced with K1's (Ferrari Spec for the FF) when I had the alignment problem. Only difference is 1/32 less tread and slightly wider circumferential groves for better water displacement. I can live with 9/32 tread vs. the 10/32 of the OEM set. Tires are holding up well.

#26 ·
Okay, I've killed another set of Michelins. Don't be seduced by the above Volvo alignment "fix" on the toe adjustment. If you're driving with curves, there seems no solution with this or prior S60 model. Here is a reminder of my invite of problem solving long ago..http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?246441-Alignment-Eating-Tires

Any specific solutions yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.