I just installed the above map update for North America and the associated navigation voice update. I initially connected a battery charger @2 amps, turned on the ignition to Position 1 and let Sensus fully boot. I had previously installed the desire map region on a clean USB thumb drive which took about 2 hours (39 GB for NA) to install onto the thumb drive directly.
The voice update installs first (or did for me). I could not get the map update to initiate so I opted to shut off the car, unhook the battery charger, lock the car, unlock, start the car. I then shut it off again, hooked up the car charger, turned the ignition to a position 1, let Sensus fully boot up and plugged in the USB again.
That sequence worked to recognize that a map update was available which took about 45 minutes to install the NA updates. Sensus acknowledged that the update was complete and I verified that the map version was indeed at v1150. I will be driving my car around and post any feedback immediately below.
If you have installed (or eventually did install) this version of map updates, please chime in on how it went and any suggestions.
My other suggestions in addition to the above are to:
1. Use the Download Center feature (pull down) to monitor progress.
2. Every 5-10 minutes check on the update progress and try to keep Sensus fr. Falling asleep by keeping the dr open.
3. Don't be afraid to re-initiate the install but avoid pulling out the USB while he USB light is on or blinking.
4. Do not give up too soon as you may be closer than you think to being done.
5. Don't do the install a few days before a major trip unless you are confident and are willing to drive to the dealer if the install were to fail.
6. Go on several short jaunts, periodically, turning off your car, to give it plenty of opportunity to fully initiate the update and rid itself of phantom messages.
Update: Once I started the car and allowed Sensus to fully boot-up, the updated Navigation maps were there. I did not encounter any error messages and the voice messaging seemed to work fine. I did not try out any voice commands yet. I sent an email to Volvo Cars USA as a reminder to update the webpage and links from v1140 to v1150.
P.s., I started this thread to move beyond the so-called May 2016 (systems) update as it did not include map updates.