June 2016 Map Update v1150 + Navigation Voice Update MY16+ XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

June 2016 Map Update v1150 + Navigation Voice Update MY16+ XC90

I just installed the above map update for North America and the associated navigation voice update. I initially connected a battery charger @2 amps, turned on the ignition to Position 1 and let Sensus fully boot. I had previously installed the desire map region on a clean USB thumb drive which took about 2 hours (39 GB for NA) to install onto the thumb drive directly.

The voice update installs first (or did for me). I could not get the map update to initiate so I opted to shut off the car, unhook the battery charger, lock the car, unlock, start the car. I then shut it off again, hooked up the car charger, turned the ignition to a position 1, let Sensus fully boot up and plugged in the USB again.

That sequence worked to recognize that a map update was available which took about 45 minutes to install the NA updates. Sensus acknowledged that the update was complete and I verified that the map version was indeed at v1150. I will be driving my car around and post any feedback immediately below.

If you have installed (or eventually did install) this version of map updates, please chime in on how it went and any suggestions.

My other suggestions in addition to the above are to:
      1. Use the Download Center feature (pull down) to monitor progress.
      2. Every 5-10 minutes check on the update progress and try to keep Sensus fr. Falling asleep by keeping the dr open.
      3. Don't be afraid to re-initiate the install but avoid pulling out the USB while he USB light is on or blinking.
      4. Do not give up too soon as you may be closer than you think to being done.
      5. Don't do the install a few days before a major trip unless you are confident and are willing to drive to the dealer if the install were to fail.
      6. Go on several short jaunts, periodically, turning off your car, to give it plenty of opportunity to fully initiate the update and rid itself of phantom messages.

Update: Once I started the car and allowed Sensus to fully boot-up, the updated Navigation maps were there. I did not encounter any error messages and the voice messaging seemed to work fine. I did not try out any voice commands yet. I sent an email to Volvo Cars USA as a reminder to update the webpage and links from v1140 to v1150.

P.s., I started this thread to move beyond the so-called May 2016 (systems) update as it did not include map updates.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 07-07-2016 at 11:14 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I did the similar update for Europe, but kept the car running since I don't have a battery charger. It first did the Voice Commands update (took about 10 minutes - no progress indicator) and then asked to install the map updates (40 minutes - with progress indicator). Size was similar though at 39GB.

After installation it told me "The update will be finalised when locking the car". I locked the car, let it sit idle for 1 minute and then re-opened it. There's a message on top that states something like "update completed" and then it still takes about 20 seconds or so to load the maps for the very first time.

Maybe one additional suggestion: USB sticks can be slow and chances are likely you first need to copy data away from it, then make it empty, put the map update on it, and then copy back whatever was first on it. So all in all time-consuming. What I did was take an external HD (you know, the Western Digital kind) of 250GB. There was some 100GB of bigger files on there. I just marked those folders 'HIDDEN', and copied next to it the map update files, which typically goes way faster than a usb-stick too. Sensus doesn't bother about the hidden files and did the update flawlessly. I guess this tip could help for anyone who has data on their (usb) drive and wants to avoid deleting or moving it.
      Last edited by glider8; 07-04-2016 at 04:05 PM.
      Current: 2016 XC90 First Edition D5

Did anyone notice a significant improvement in the voice recognition when using navigation commands? Especially entering addresses which, in the past, have been notoriously wrong. It would be great to see useful voice recognition.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Its great that there is potential for improving these things through updates.

I usually visit the following page to see what the latest map version is. Still shows v1140. Thank you for the post.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378
      2016 XC90 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey Metallic | 22" | B&W | Convenience | Vision | Air Suspension | CarPlay

Quote Originally Posted by wtbenz View Post
      Did anyone notice a significant improvement in the voice recognition when using navigation commands? Especially entering addresses which, in the past, have been notoriously wrong. It would be great to see useful voice recognition.
      I was extremely aggravated by the voice recognition, or the lack thereof. Now it seems the update has improved this. A lot. I haven't used it a lot (3 times or so) but it was 3 flawless times, whereas before the update I had only 3 succesful hits out of about 20 attempts. Even the suggestions (88 sounds phonetically quite similar to 33 in Dutch) where acceptable and logical. Previously, the system would ask me who to call when I tried to enter an address or the other way around. That has changed for the better. I will try to use it more often and update in this thread.

I wonder when they will finally remove that rather annoying glitch when the estimated time and estimated distance are not shown together (like in any other navigation, even in the previous Volvo RTI navigation you can see both) and you have always to switch between these two, while there is plenty space for both ... so easy, essential thing but even after one year, no fix ...
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

doing may update today along with Vibrating Rotors, Suspension Noise and brake squeal. - Will report back to see how many Technical Journals they apply.

Also giving them a USB stick of the full North American Map update - gonna let them apply the update.

let's see how long until I get my car back LOL
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe09 View Post
      I usually visit the following page to see what the latest map version is. Still shows v1140. Thank you for the post.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378
      2016 xc90 page now shows 1150 as the current version.

Installing now on the way to work. Let's see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey Metallic | 22" | B&W | Convenience | Vision | Air Suspension | CarPlay

Quote Originally Posted by glider8 View Post
      I did the similar update for Europe, but kept the car running since I don't have a battery charger. It first did the Voice Commands update (took about 10 minutes - no progress indicator) and then asked to install the map updates (40 minutes - with progress indicator). Size was similar though at 39GB.

After installation it told me "The update will be finalised when locking the car". I locked the car, let it sit idle for 1 minute and then re-opened it. There's a message on top that states something like "update completed" and then it still takes about 20 seconds or so to load the maps for the very first time.

Maybe one additional suggestion: USB sticks can be slow and chances are likely you first need to copy data away from it, then make it empty, put the map update on it, and then copy back whatever was first on it. So all in all time-consuming. What I did was take an external HD (you know, the Western Digital kind) of 250GB. There was some 100GB of bigger files on there. I just marked those folders 'HIDDEN', and copied next to it the map update files, which typically goes way faster than a usb-stick too. Sensus doesn't bother about the hidden files and did the update flawlessly. I guess this tip could help for anyone who has data on their (usb) drive and wants to avoid deleting or moving it.
      So...I'm baffled...

Why would I need to have a battery charger on hand or have the car running so that a computer can run for 1 hour doing nothing but installing software? So my Mac can run for 10 hours while decrypting and playing video on a much smaller battery but my car with a much larger battery cannot install some software for 1 hour without possibly killing its battery?

Am I missing something obvious?
      16 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
      08 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Chioti View Post
      So...I'm baffled...

Why would I need to have a battery charger on hand or have the car running so that a computer can run for 1 hour doing nothing but installing software? So my Mac can run for 10 hours while decrypting and playing video on a much smaller battery but my car with a much larger battery cannot install some software for 1 hour without possibly killing its battery?

Am I missing something obvious?
      Yes - you're comparing a 2# laptop to a 4400# car.
      Your laptop is designed to run on battery, your vehicle is not.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Did they take the latest map update down? I'm still seeing 1140 as latest in the US.

While in my car today both Apps updates came thru which I installed including Pandora but nothing new to map versions.
      Last edited by leonarca; 07-07-2016 at 09:34 PM.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription | Saville Grey with Blonde on Blonde | Vision, Climate, Convenience, HUD, Protection, CarPlay | Polestar✦
      2006 Volvo XC90 Titanium Grey

Seems so. I was just about to download and the 2016 xc90 link now shows 1140.

Sounds like a pain no matter how you do it. Kind of makes the old way of simply swapping disks for map updates look good.

The Volvo Cars UK Website hosts the official Volvo forum. This is the website where you can find the latest maps, including those for North America: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...=2016&sw=15w46

Please verify your year and model as the maps are configured for certain systems. This particular link is the MY2016+ For XC90. I believe the T6 and T8 are the same, but you should be diligent and verify for yourself.

I am not sure when Volvo USA will update their webpage.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 07-07-2016 at 10:28 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Was able to get the map. Update installed no problems. Only took 30 min. The voice update tried first but failed and said could not read sub. Will prob plug the use in and try one more time.

Sorry for the silly question, but, where do you see anything about the voice commands update? When I click the link, I see the download of 1150 for North America, and then each individual region, but nothing about the voice commands download.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
      Sorry for the silly question, but, where do you see anything about the voice commands update? When I click the link, I see the download of 1150 for North America, and then each individual region, but nothing about the voice commands download.

Thanks
      I downloaded the North American map update software. That downloaded the 39GB file to my USB drive. When I plugged my USB drive into the XC90 and started it, the Sensus screen at the top said something about "voice command update something something something" then it said it could not read the USB. It proceeded to the map update and that installed with no issues.

I was not aware of a voice command update until the notification came up on the Sensus screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkG View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post

Thanks
      I downloaded the North American map update software. That downloaded the 39GB file to my USB drive. When I plugged my USB drive into the XC90 and started it, the screen at the top said something about "voice command update something something something" then it said it could not read the USB. It proceeded to the map update and that installed with no issues.

I was not aware of a voice command update until the notification came up on the Sensus screen.
      Interesting. I wonder if the voice command update works if you just download the update for the region you want, rather than the whole mega North America file?

I'm downloading from the UK site, but I see the size is 30.39 GB and not 39 GB. I'm downloading for Windows, but I wouldn't expect that to have such an impact on file size.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      I'm downloading from the UK site, but I see the size is 30.39 GB and not 39 GB. I'm downloading for Windows, but I wouldn't expect that to have such an impact on file size.
      I saw the same file size there (30). Is there any other site that people are getting it from? I thought that was it.

Why would someone download just the regional map instead of the entire country/continent?
      2016 Volvo XC90 Momentum+ (Crystal White Metallic / Amber)
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
      Why would someone download just the regional map instead of the entire country/continent?
      The regional map is much smaller of a download and can be completed much more quickly than the entire country. I'm with you on updating everything, but for someone who isn't going outside their region much, they might be OK with just the region. Also, people might not have a thumb drive with enough capacity, and may not have an hour+ to sit in the car while the entire country downloads.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Tibits View Post
      The regional map is much smaller of a download and can be completed much more quickly than the entire country. I'm with you on updating everything, but for someone who isn't going outside their region much, they might be OK with just the region. Also, people might not have a thumb drive with enough capacity, and may not have an hour+ to sit in the car while the entire country downloads.
      Exactly. I will not be driving to Minnesota or California. Zero reason to waste time downloading the whole country when you can just do the state(s) you drive in.
      Also, frustratingly, the entire country one does not fit on my 32gb USB drive, which is annoying since the file is just under 32gb. So, at least in my case, I'd need to go get a whole new 64gb drive. Obviously that's only like $20 but just unnecessary.

Installed this morning. Tried a new trick to lean my sunshade against the sensus screen to keep it alive. Seemed to work. Did not start the car during install, so battery proved to be sufficient for the update which took about an hour (once I confirm there is enough battery left to start the car).

Installed 1150 yesterday as well. Took about an hour once it actually got going. It failed to initialize the first two tries but finally worked the third time. Tried the voice command feature a few times and it is a noticeable improvement. For the record I've had the May update installed for about 3 weeks as well.

I am picking up my T6 inscription MY2017 on Tuesday Does anyone know if MY17s come with this 1150 maps update preinstalled?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      XC90 MY2017, Magic Blue Inscription with Climate, Convenience, Vision and HUD

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysam82 View Post
      I am picking up my T6 inscription MY2017 on Tuesday Does anyone know if MY17s come with this 1150 maps update preinstalled?

Hope so. I was in for the may update about a day before 1150 was released.

I don't have the May update yet. Do you need to have it before installing v1150?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysam82 View Post

If someone tells me how to check I can verify this

FWIW I did just the Mid Atlantic and it only said the maps are updating...nothing about the voice features.

Yeah 2017 inscription has 1150 update. Took delivery 2 days ago.

I don't have the May update yet. Do you need to have it before installing v1150?
      I don't believe so. I don't have the May update, but updated to v1150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I performed the update today. First it did then voice update. It then gave me an error saying that it couldn't find the file, but it proceeded to do the map update despite this. I shut the car off, and when I turned it back on, it said that the map update was complete. Immediately following the update, the Sensus rebooted at least four or five times. This caused me to freak out, because I assumed that the update had broken the whole system. Fortunately, it eventually stopped rebooting and everything appears to be back to normal.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast