Polestar Exhaust - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      My right exhaust seems to be "stuck" open. I pulled the actuator off and the clapper valve is rotating smoothly so it must be the actuator or the signal to the actuator.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      So "Left" is the "muffler bypass" valve? If so, doesn't seem like there is any way I could get it "stuck" in my desired position... (Left = Open, Right = Closed)
      I was able to lock the positions that you're looking for. I tried switching the flapper connectors and they still actuate per the normal programming, just swapped around. So to lock the left open and the right closed, reverse the connectors, start the car and while in Park, disconnect them both (either one first as the order doesn't matter). The left flap will now be locked open and the right closed. By the way, if you leave them connected but reversed, Sport sounds the same but Drive is a bit louder with the left side exhaust partially open verses the right side.

EDIT: I drove it with the left side locked open and right closed for about an hour today and much prefer the standard Sport setting. This is almost as loud but sounded rather flat. If you want to lock the exhaust to a single all around setting, try the right locked open instead (as described in my previous post). A bit weak on idle but an especially nice mid range tone that gets masked a little in the normal Sport mode.
      Last edited by motorhead; 05-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      Or also for those of us here who are still waiting on the slacker FB admins to accept the join request?
      Precious
      2013 xc60 R-Design Rebel Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
      I was able to lock the positions that you're looking for. I tried switching the flapper connectors and they still actuate per the normal programming, just swapped around. So to lock the left open and the right closed, reverse the connectors, start the car and while in Park, disconnect them both (either one first as the order doesn't matter). The left flap will now be locked open and the right closed. By the way, if you leave them connected but reversed, Sport sounds the same but Drive is a bit louder with the left side exhaust partially open verses the right side.

EDIT: I drove it with the left side locked open and right closed for about an hour today and much prefer the standard Sport setting. This is almost as loud but sounded rather flat. If you want to lock the exhaust to a single all around setting, try the right locked open instead (as described in my previous post). A bit weak on idle but an especially nice mid range tone that gets masked a little in the normal Sport mode.
      I did this now as well - marked the plugs so I can tell if they are "swapped" or not - then swapped them, started it put, put it in park - unplugged. It's nice having just the bypass open. You get the growl but less of the drone/hum that you get with both open.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

So I am confused. My right is open after cold start. I can actually hear it open when the revs fall. My preference is both closed for D, and both open for S. Anyway to configure them this way?

Quote Originally Posted by OscarII View Post
      So I am confused. My right is open after cold start. I can actually hear it open when the revs fall. My preference is both closed for D, and both open for S. Anyway to configure them this way?
      I remember reading in the owners manual about how the exhaust flaps behave in different circumstances. I don't remember well off the top of my head at this point, but on cold start and in certain other circumstances, one of the two flaps are open. In Sport both are open. In drive both flaps are closed most of the time, except in some circumstances (which it explained if I remember right) and then both flaps open automatically @4k RPM in Drive (I think?)

As follows...

Cold Start: both closed
      Park: left closed, right open
      Reverse: both closed
      Drive (non-sport): both just slightly open, open more at higher rpms
      Drive (sport) or manual mode: both open

Lock in any of the static positions by disconnecting the connectors in the boot.
      Last edited by motorhead; 10-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.

As follows...

Cold Start: both closed
      Park: left closed, right open
      Reverse: both closed
      Drive (non-sport): both just slightly open, open more at higher rpms
      Drive (sport): both open

Lock in any of these positions by disconnecting the connectors in the boot.
      Almost...

In D Mode they are mostly closed and one opens above 4k rpm.

Last edited by P50GT; 10-24-2017 at 07:43 PM.
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

Quote Originally Posted by P50GT View Post
      In D Mode one is always Open and the 2nd opens above 4k rpm.
      But D mode is so quiet, with none of the high velocity whoosh that you get at full throttle/high rpm with either the right pipe locked open or in manual sport mode. Those flaps can’t be open much at all. I have a MY16 though. Maybe your 15.5 is different?

But D mode is so quiet, with none of the high velocity whoosh that you get at full throttle/high rpm with either the right pipe locked open or in manual sport mode. Those flaps can’t be open much at all. I have a MY16 though. Maybe your 15.5 is different?
      I see you caught it before my edit. I got it wrong at first. Only one is open in D Mode. I corrected the post.

They are identical mechanically. They only changes for '16 were the slotted brakes which most of us '15.5 owners have now anyway. You should have that same owner's manual that I posted the pic from.
      Last edited by P50GT; 10-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

Hmm...I am not completely happy with this explanation, although accurate for a OEM vehicle. I think the right is staying open all the time on my Ferrita DP equipped car. I will DC both of them in the closed position and see. Thanks for sharing the information.

Flip Flopped

I bought my car used and when I went to check on it, both plugs were disconnected.
      1. How do I know which plug is which? (If I wanted it back to factory setup.)
      2. How long will the flaps stay open once unplugged? Do they close over time?

Quote Originally Posted by bogusscooter View Post
      1. How do I know which plug is which? (If I wanted it back to factory setup.)
      2. How long will the flaps stay open once unplugged? Do they close over time?
      Just connect them either way since you can run them flipped and it doesn’t hurt anything. If you guessed right, the driver side exhaust will be closed in Park at normal idle and passenger side will be open. Obviously just switch them around if you guessed wrong. I’m not certain on the second question but the servos don’t move easily when unpowered.

this magic with the flaps is such a great "mod"...
      Current: Volvo V60 Polestar 2016.10. Rebel Blue
      Past: 2016.06. BMW M235i (F22) Cabriolet
      2015.05. A45 AMG "Black Widow"
      Subaru Impreza STi MY'06 EU EJ257
      Peugeot 206 RC177

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/silurd77/

Great info.
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

I did this mod recently on my '17 S60 P* and love it!
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

This is an interesting thread... so if I'm reading this correctly, one could disconnect the plugs while the vehicle is in normal mode and that would allow:

-use of manual shifting without automatically opening the valves
      -keeping the sound down in case of an aftermarket DP

I have twins on the way but I'd really love to throw a Ferrita DP on this thing. Disabling the valves while they are in the closed position could be the way to go. Has anyone tried this? It sounds like one valve would remain open in normal conditions if they were not disabled on start-up in Park. So having all the valves commanded closed should quiet the car just enough.

Conversely, I could just try to run the car with the valves open for a bit to see how much louder it is on start-up and whatnot (something I've always wanted to hear).
      2016 V60 Polestar - rebel blue
      2002 Sierra Denali

Quote Originally Posted by demonte1997 View Post
      This is an interesting thread... so if I'm reading this correctly, one could disconnect the plugs while the vehicle is in normal mode and that would allow:

-use of manual shifting without automatically opening the valves
      -keeping the sound down in case of an aftermarket DP

I have twins on the way but I'd really love to throw a Ferrita DP on this thing. Disabling the valves while they are in the closed position could be the way to go. Has anyone tried this? It sounds like one valve would remain open in normal conditions if they were not disabled on start-up in Park. So having all the valves commanded closed should quiet the car just enough.

Conversely, I could just try to run the car with the valves open for a bit to see how much louder it is on start-up and whatnot (something I've always wanted to hear).
      I don’t have a polestar but I do have the exhaust. I’m in the process of wiring them up manually so I can open and close the valves at will with a switch of a button. That way I get the best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I rarely use the sport mode ( sad, but I'm getting old). I did use it the other say. Wow, what a fast car, the "boy racer" punk that had been tailgating/ hassling me in the 30mph limit area disappeared as quickly as a...…………………………….

Fill in a humorous comment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
      I don’t have a polestar but I do have the exhaust. I’m in the process of wiring them up manually so I can open and close the valves at will with a switch of a button. That way I get the best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I am in the same situation as you and I found a couple of systems that could control the flaps via app / remote
      I am sure it could be done via a switch similar to car window switch open/close - know-how is an issue though and local electrician did not seem too confident.

Did you manage to wire the actuators? If so, I would much appreciate if you could share your findings please.

At the moment I am gravitating towards purchasing an exhaust control box with a remote controller that I found in an online store - as wiring of that is very simple and most electricians should have no problem.
      I also note that Paul, who started this thread added Remus box, but I could not find Volvo dedicated box on their website and strangely Remus were not too helpful when I contacted them...their UK distributor simply ignored my email
      Thanks

V60 T6 Polestar - Exhaust Flaps

Hi,

I bought a late 2016 V60 Polestar and very happy, apart from having to replace the supercharger after 14 days after smelling what I thought was a burning clutch and smoke coming from the engine bay The previous owner had upgraded to a K&N filter and who ever fitted it obviously decided to run the engine with the air filter cover off because inside the supercharger was found a tool bit and a what I can only describe as sound proofing material -I have pictures and a £1500 invoice

Anyway back to this mod and just to say thanks because it was exactly what I was wondering as my brother who has just bought a Quadrifoglio and has a remote to do this. I read the entire thread and noted that someone was trying to do this as well.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but obviously the car needs to be in Sport Mode with the engine running, therefore a another pair of feet needed as I don't think it would be a good idea with just the E parking brake on, however if I just turn it off in Sport mode will the flaps stay open and then I can disconnect the solenoids without fear of the car driving off unattended

Cheers,

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by FTY View Post
      Yes, I just did it on my car. You will need a second hand to get this done. Very pleased with how the car sounds now.

1. Have a second hand, start the car and place the vehicle in "Sport Mode" (Foot on brake and E-Brake set for safety)
      2. Go to the rear of the vehicle and unplug the Two Exhaust Flap Solenoids (Located in Trunk Area)
      3. You are done!

Here are a few Engine Revs and a quick acceleration from this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by NicM View Post
      l
      Sorry if this is a stupid question but obviously the car needs to be in Sport Mode with the engine running, therefore a another pair of feet needed as I don't think it would be a good idea with just the E parking brake on, however if I just turn it off in Sport mode will the flaps stay open and then I can disconnect the solenoids without fear of the car driving off unattended
      I’m fairly certain the car cannot be turned off in Sport mode (or Drive or Reverse). Just find a friend and show him the connector you want to unplug before you start your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Otaku View Post
      I’m fairly certain the car cannot be turned off in Sport mode (or Drive or Reverse). Just find a friend and show him the connector you want to unplug before you start your car.
      Correct - this mod requires two people. I was in the driver's seat, car must be running with transmission in Drive and in sport mode. I had my foot on the brake pedal while my buddy unplugged the connection in the trunk (as outlined above). I had this done 8 months ago and love it. Absolutely zero side effects. I only liked sport mode for the sound of the exhaust. With this mod, you get the great sound of the sport exhaust without the jerky shifting of the transmission. I no longer need to engage sport mode in order to hear the sport exhaust!
      Rebel Yell • 2017 Volvo S60 Polestar • Rebel Blue The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy.

Thanks guys.

Yes I realised soon after posting that the car cant be stopped while in D or S mode.

Cheers,

Nic

It worked perfectly!
      Last edited by NicM; 12-29-2019 at 10:18 AM.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2