Anyone had an ICM Failure?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone had an ICM Failure?

In May, my wife experienced a complete loss of the center LCD display..no Radio, Nav, My Car and the BLIS stopped working. It was intermittent. We took it in and the dealer said they would re-load the software (SW) in the ICM Control Unit 36001980-6, which by Volvo poilicy they could not replace until having tried reloading the SW once. I was skeptical that SW could could cause such an intermittent fault, but it did work OK until a week ago, when the problem recurred. We took it back when they had the new part, but it would not accept SW, so they had to order yet another replacement, which did work. This is not a case where you can bring it in and wait while they plug in the new part...apparently it takes hours just to load the SW. But they gave us decent loaners in both cases. The part alone costs ~$900. It is working properly so far, but after this and the CANBUS failure reported here previously, we are thinking extended warranty. Thoughts?
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi Tony,

If you like the car enough to keep it for a long time, yes, extended warranty. Some people think an extended warranty is a wash but I consider it more of an insurance policy. I'll be getting one for ours as we want to keep our car for a long time.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

In my S60 Sensus occasionally (probably 5 or 6 times) fails to power-up with the ignition, usually in hot weather. So far it has always come back when I hit the power button on the center stack. I take it your problem was more severe?
      Current Proof of Insanity: 2014 XC70 3.2 AWD Premier, Flamenco Red/Soft Beige, Heated Everything
      Past Proof of Insanity (except the first one):1985 745, 1998 S70, 2009 V70, 2015.5 S60

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, it was not at startup but while underway and was very disconcerting to my wife, the principal driver.
      2015 XC60 DRIVE-E T6, Platinum, Heated F. Seats, Crystal White Met, Xenon, Tech, BLIS
      Custom: Valentine mount/City Safety IR filter, Dog Seat, Superchager ind., REAL dipstick
      2002 Acura RSX Type-S 6 speed
      2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance

This happened to me for a full day, which included several stops and restarts. I finally unplugged the battery for 1 minute and it never did it again. Just like when dealing with a troublesome modem or other piece of modern tech, the full unplug worked! This was several months ago.
      2018 V90CC T5 with P*, Saville Gray/Charcoal
      2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E Platinum, Twilight Bronze/Hazel Brown

The same thing happened to my friend's 2013. The screen was going in and out intermittently; the dealer tried a software fix first that stuck for a few days; then the screen died completely. The dealer replaced the screen and it's been fine since.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements