Thinking about bigger wheels and tires.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thinking about bigger wheels and tires.

Been tossing around the Idea of getting new wheels for my T6

Right Now I have the 18's (For sale)

If I do it, it seems to makes sense to step up to a 19 and slightly larger tire to fill up the horrible wheel gap on these cars. I also would like to lower the car.

Im thinking about the H&R springs which provide a 1.2 inch drop

My dilema is finding a tire size. Right now I have 235/40/18 and it seems the only option I know would fit would be a 245/35/19

The stock offset on my wheels are 55mm, Id like to stick the tire out more and was thinking a 40mm offset would be nice. Sound like it would fit? I know the rear would but I worry about the front.

Im not totally sold on lowering the car because I dont want to mess with my ride quality. Everyone that owns these cars must be boring because its damn near impossible to find any pictures of cars with wheels besides the 5 total ones ive seen on google.

What would you guys suggest?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm running 245X35X19 with a +40 offset. I have the H&R springs, but haven't installed them yet. There is clearance front and back.

Are those TSW Rivage wheels? They look great, and easy to clean as well. Do you have any idea how the weight of those wheels compares to the Volvo Axion wheel?
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, they are Rivage wheels. Don't know about the weight. Pretty easy to clean because I can get my hand past the disc to the inside of the rim.

Last edited by Tonyfr; 08-23-2016 at 05:12 PM.

I'd say 'save your money' 18" is big enough (where I remember 15" were huge). You will suffer more wheel damage being that the tires will be lower profile. Be strong, resist the urge!

I like the choice of the TSW Rivage. To me they have the essence of the Cratus and Pegasus Volvo wheels. I love being able to easily wash the Cratus wheels on our XC60 the way you describe. I have had a couple of sets of TSW wheels and had good service out of them. Some can be a bit heavy, but they are pretty strong, and some of the most recent offerings (Bathhurst, Geneva, Mechanica, Nurburgring) use a rotary forging technique for a lighter stronger wheel.

Whenever you go to a larger wheel, its generally heavier, and often the tire is too. This increased size increases the weight, and therefore the inertia, of the wheel's movement both rotationally and vertically. This can affect acceleration, braking, and ride quality. The use of larger diameter wheels means the side wall height or profile has to be reduced accordingly to maintain the overall wheel/tire diameter the car was designed for (including speedometer readings). These lower profile tires are more susceptible to damage, and will decrease ride comfort since the sidewall can't absorb vertical impact as well as a taller sidewall. The generally increased mass of the larger wheel and tire will also demand more of the suspension, particularly shocks and struts, to counteract the increased inertia.

Seldom do you see the factory offer a larger wheel without it being part of a corresponding suspension package with different springs and shocks for this reason. Even with factory engineering, which has the advantage of extensive computer modeling and track-time tuning, a larger wheel package will almost always ride rougher than the base setup.

So, if you choose to go to a larger wheel you can mitigate these factors by:

• Deliberately choose as light a wheel as possible.
      • All other things equal, choose a lighter tire (yes, they vary considerably in some cases).
      • Consider upgrading the shocks/struts/springs at the same time to better control the increased mass and inertia.
      • Understand that ride comfort will almost without exception be lessened.
      • Understand that road hazard damage is more likely.

On the plus side, handling can be positively affected, especially in terms of steering responsiveness. And if the truth is known, the visual aesthetic, and individuation, are often the main draws to larger wheels for many.
      Last edited by Synesis; 08-24-2016 at 11:02 AM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements