Winter Wheel Thread: Who plans to get a second set of rims/tires for winter?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

What are you doing for winter wheels and tires

I have a T6 with the lovely 20" wheels. In New England we always switch to dedicated snows, and I like to keep on their own rims for ease of changeover and to protect the summer rims from salt (many use steel wheels in winter for this purpose).

What might be a good winter wheel, and what size would you do? How do you manage the ABS?
      The tire I will use is the Nokian Hakka H2 SUV - have them on my other car and they are great. So the question is wheel choice, size, and ABS.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

OEM 21" wheels w/ Pirelli Scorpion winter snow tires.

I'm in NY so I take the most measures possible to avoid these problems/factors.

1. Run the smallest rim diameter possible for winters, why? The tristate is horrible when it comes to pot holes, especially with roads contracting an expanding + the plows ripping up everything. Smaller rim means bigger tire, bigger tire means larger sidewall which in tern means more cushion for huge holes in the road.

2. Run thinner tires, why? you want as much weight to penetrate through the snow, a wide tire means you will be more prone to sliding/snowplaning when it's bad.

3. Running smaller rims means less rotational weight = more gas mpg. It also means the tires themselves will be much cheaper, especially when dealing with high sizes like 20+

4. Speed ratings mean nothing, weight ratings mean everything. If you do want to save you most likely don't even need a W rated let alone a Y rated so forget about speed, your not doing 100+. Always make sure you are atlas or above the weight rating which is a separate number, load bearing is the most crital of all, going under will result in a bad situation.

Just for fun, I run OEM 18 pegs in the summer with michelin PS3's 235/40/18 but when winter rolls around I run OEM 17's w/blizzaks 215 or 225/50/17.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just curious, how do you get the tires and wheels home? In the car itself? And how do you lug them into your garage? I'd imagine the wheels with tires on them would be rather heavy, no?

ship to shop, shop installs, store at shop for convenience or bring home in the cargo area with seats down (providing you have ample storage at home without impeding daily living).
      generally i purchase the exact set of wheels the vehicle came with as a winter set and then swap between the two for each two seasons.
      we're having such a mild start i am debating putting them when i usually do (which is weekend before thanksgiving).

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      I'm in NY so I take the most measures possible to avoid these problems/factors.

1. Run the smallest rim diameter possible for winters, why? The tristate is horrible when it comes to pot holes, especially with roads contracting an expanding + the plows ripping up everything. Smaller rim means bigger tire, bigger tire means larger sidewall which in tern means more cushion for huge holes in the road.
      Interestingly the 19" tires for the xc90 have about the same amount of sidewall as the 20" since they are significantly smaller overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gc52 View Post
      Interestingly the 19" tires for the xc90 have about the same amount of sidewall as the 20" since they are significantly smaller overall.
      But they're skinnier and thus the tires themselves should be much cheaper right?

So are the standard Pirellis on the 20" wheels adequate for snow? We live in Nebraska and get some decent snows and will also take it to the mountains in Colorado yearly for skiing. The Pirelli's are suppose to be an all year tire correct? (just not as good as a snow tire in winter driving?)

Quote Originally Posted by nebswede View Post
      So are the standard Pirellis on the 20" wheels adequate for snow? We live in Nebraska and get some decent snows and will also take it to the mountains in Colorado yearly for skiing. The Pirelli's are suppose to be an all year tire correct? (just not as good as a snow tire in winter driving?)
      Vehicles delivered in the US come with all season tires, irregardless of rim size. At least that's what I was told by Volvo.

As to whether or not they are adequate for snow, depends on how much snow and where one lives, IMO.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

If you get adequate snow I strongly recommend you get dedicated snow tires and wheels. All seasons are ok in snow but are nothing compared to snow, that truck is a pretty big investment, make sure you keep her safe!

All season vs snow tires
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellMcGee View Post
      But they're skinnier and thus the tires themselves should be much cheaper right?

Yes, they will definitely be cheaper.

What type of tires come with the 20" wheels? And do you have the 20" Momentum upgrade or the standard 20" Inscription wheels (or are they the same tires either way?)

I am in Buffalo area so needed snow tires. I had Michelin Snow tires installed before I picked the vehicle last week. Did not buy rims as they were turning out to be expensive and also would have been heavy in case I have to carry the tires back if there is no space at the dealer in future. Currently, dealership stored the all season tires that the vehicle came with.

What type of tires come with the 20" wheels? And do you have the 20" Momentum upgrade or the standard 20" Inscription wheels (or are they the same tires either way?)
      20" R-Design wheels come with Pirelli Scorpion Verde all-seasons. They do not appear to have a very aggressive tread pattern so I will be investing in winter tires soon.

Quote Originally Posted by IC0N0CLAST View Post
      we're having such a mild start i am debating putting them when i usually do (which is weekend before thanksgiving).
      You had to go and jinx us!!!

All seasons are no match for 4 dedicated snows. the Pirelli's that came on the car may be OK for season 1, but I would still put on snows that first winter. No comparison. Like I said, I love the Nokians....

The pirelli all season Verdes are bologna skins compared to dedicated snows. The have very firm lower profile treads, rounded edges and minimal siping. M&S Snows will make a very noticeable difference IMHO:

Here's what the 20's look like with Blizzaks to give you a sense:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by IC0N0CLAST View Post
      ship to shop, shop installs, store at shop for convenience or bring home in the cargo area with seats down (providing you have ample storage at home without impeding daily living).
      generally i purchase the exact set of wheels the vehicle came with as a winter set and then swap between the two for each two seasons.
      What is a good place to buy OEM tires and wheels? I live in CT and based on last two years experience, it's best to get prepared.

I ordered a set of the 19" wheels from myswedishoarts.com. They were about 2700 dollars shipped, including the sensors. It was a tough price to swallow at first, but getting 19" snow tires vs the 21s saved me about 600 dollars (Hakka r2 suv). All in all it will be about 3500 for the wheels and tires, installed. I thought about putting them on my 21s, and I even had a set ordered, but I finally bit the bullet and ordered smaller wheels. I think if you own the car and plan on keeping t long term, it's a wise investment. I also look forward to more sidewall in the winter. I am currently waiting on the wheels to ship, but I hope to have them installed by the end of the week.

What tires do folks recommend for an SUV of this size for urban winter driving (generally plowed roads, but lots of slush, wetness, black ice, salt/sand, etc.)

- Micehlin X-Ice
      - Nokian Hakka
      - Bridgestone Blizzak

Others?

I know Volvo through its accessory catalog sells the X-Ice 2 on 18s and the Nokians on 19s. Not sure what if anything I should read into that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have the 19' wheels on the momentum XC90. For winter I plan to get 18' wheel and winter tyres. They are much cheaper (about 1500 euros) and better on snow and ice than the bigger sizes. I would only consider getting the more expensive 19' (about 2000 euros), if changing to a smaller rim required resetting or re-configuring the car by the dealer. Any ideas?

In my experience the Nokians are unbelievable. Nice to see Volvo selling those as an accessory. I've yet to see any car manufacturer in North America do that, the Nokians are just not that popular here. My time with the X-Ice2 and X-Ice3 is also pretty spectacular. You can't go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by esseight View Post
      You had to go and jinx us!!!
      hahaha... whenever i put them on early we get a mild winter i put them on late and we have a brutal winter. i can't ever win with this kind of crap.

I ordered a second set of the 8-spoke 21" inscriptions wheels and Nokian (275/40) winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by T5_awd View Post
      I ordered a second set of the 8-spoke 21" inscriptions wheels and Nokian (275/40) winter tires.
      I love the look of those wheels, how much is it to buy them standalone?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

First thing, Maxwell, if you're looking for the inscription wheels, pm me, because I would consider selling mine. Also, anyone interested in the subject of winter tires should see Car and Driver's recent test of the six leading snow tires. The Nokians (Hakka r2) won, but they have lots of more or less objective data. Also, they illustrate the point of how much better even the worst snow tire is in cold weather than even the best all season tire.

Quote Originally Posted by T5_awd View Post
      <high-five> fashion and functionality meet. that's the way to do it. i've used the same size tire and wheel in 16" of snow and negative temps. only had a slight bit of issue on the ice patches but without studs almost every tire will have that problem.

Do you have a link? I am only seeing a 2009 article

I know this is not in the least bit helpful, but I'm so glad I don't have to worry about snow tires. I pay for that lack of worry in other ways, though.

I'm not sure on the article. It is in he most recent print issue. I couldn't find it online either.

Anyone in the east, Midwest or Rockies driven on the OEM all season tires and comment on how they handled? I realize that dedicated snows is the way to go ( had Pirelli ice and Bridgestone blizzaks on prior SUVs)
      T6 Inscription OSD July 2015.

in general all-season tires means they're not great in any season but adequate in all seasons.

I love the look of those wheels, how much is it to buy them standalone?

About $4200 for the wheels + Nokian Hakkapelitta in 275/40 21"

If I don't want to spend the $$ on a Volvo wheel for winter, can I use a non-Volvo model and just buy the TPMS valve/sensors?
      What is the wheel size I would need if going 19"?
      Any brand or model recommendations?

I am going with Niche Targa 20" X 8.5" with Michelin X-Ice

2016 XC90 Inscription, Onyx/Amber, Climate, Convenience, Vision, Air Susp., Booster chair, B&W, 21" Wheels
      2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax
      1999 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast