Winter Wheel Thread: Who plans to get a second set of rims/tires for winter? - Page 21
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21

Winter Setup Causing Highway Vibrations

Hi All, new here to the Volvo family.

I purchased a 2016 XC90 T6-R and live in NY. I purchased an aftermarket setup from tirerack.com - running Pirelli Winters on Sparco 18's but now there is a vibration above 65+ MPH. I called tirerack and they said there is a pin on the brake rotor I have to remove to stop the vibration...? Anyone else have this issue when swapping to an aftermarket set of winter wheels/tires?

Thanks for your replies!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks sharp Pekingduk!

I did something similar - had the 22's on my '17 R-Design, found a set of 4 20's (R-Design) on eBay from a dealer in TX via post here for $800, then put Blizzaks on them. Given we just had the most snow in recorded history here in SEA, I'm quite comfortable now driving in the snow on the Blizzaks. though my xc90's going a bit more 'tan" than white from all the dirt and sand put down by the plows. I take it to Costco to have them rotated on season begin and end - $25 for each service. well worth it for traction.

Now if only I could counter the other idiot drivers on the road. So much AWD, so little knowledge on how to drive in snow.

Are there any considerations that need to be made when going from a 20" stock wheel to a 19" OEM wheel and winter tire that's more or less the same size?

The wheels I'm looking at for winter are 8" wide (ET 42.5) whereas the stock wheel is 9" wide (ET 38.5). Would love to be able to just swap them out without any service intervention.
      Last edited by RRSS; 07-23-2019 at 04:34 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hi.. New to this forum.
      I'll be taking delivery on a V6- T5 MY 2020 next May. I won't need to put winter shoes on it till fall of 2020. So call this deep research.
      Calling out the details is going to save me thousands in things I might have had no choice to accept. So I am having it built with 18" wheels, HK radio-this saves $4K right there.
      Having owned other cars that allowed me to buy low priced alloy wheels and premium quality snow tires from Tirerack worked out fine. Why is there an issue of non factory winter wheels sound like a problem people are talking about? Do suspension parts or brake disks require a proprietary wheel? I guess I will be looking for some used factory wheels.
      Can anyone shed some light on this?

winter tire suggestions!

i plan to winter tires, anyone of any good suggestions? open to anything

Quote Originally Posted by 16 V60RD View Post

Just had 20 R-Design wheels powder coated black and Yuko snows installed and fresh wash and wax
      Had the 18 T5 wheels but lost to ride and handling quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      super clean! love these, how much did you get them for?

I am planning on getting winter tires for this winter season. anybody have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Rogers View Post
      I am planning on getting winter tires for this winter season. anybody have any suggestions?
      I am curious too.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

I purchased a 2016 XC90 Inscription over the summer (3rd XC90: 04 & 07). It has 20" all season tires (275 W) so the stance looks good given the Inscription has the added lip over the wheel wells. I recently purchased some OEM TPMS sensors & OEM 19" wheels (off of a 2017 Momentum). I'll be getting winter tires soon (Blizzak from Costco) & have them put on around Thanksgiving with my other vehicles/winter tires. The question I have is given the 19" tires will be 235 W will they look like they are sitting back too far in the wheel wells (given I have those extra lips over the wheel wells that Volvo puts on the Inscription) & if so should I put on spacers? If spacers what size/width? Anything else going from 20" to 19" for winter such as different size lug bolts?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADM17 View Post
      If you downsize the wheel and upsize the sidewall to accomodate there is no need to recalibrate. Basically, stick to any of the factory Volvo sizes and you will be fine.
      235/60/18
      235/55/19
      275/45/20
      275/40/21
      275/35/22
      Pardon my ignorance, just want to confirm this is the case for the MY16 T6 Inscription? My stock wheels are 21".

The tire shop I asked said 20 was the smallest, but I find that hard to believe. What do most folks run for winter wheel size on the xc90 - 19?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Rogers View Post
      super clean! love these, how much did you get them for?
      I am selling a set with brand new tires . If interested let me know.

Found a great deal on some used 20" 10-spokes that I recently had powder coated and mounted on new Bridgestone Blizzaks in advance of the upcoming Midwest winter. I still need to tape off the Volvo emblem and paint the center caps to match the grey wheels. I considered refinishing them in black but decided to go with a gunmetal grey since the only other true black accent on my 2016 Crystal White Inscription is the tinted windows.

Before:

67689555_336122987341880_1547207727242018816_n.jpg

After:

70369574_517053775727753_2452460329272082432_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
      Pardon my ignorance, just want to confirm this is the case for the MY16 T6 Inscription? My stock wheels are 21".

The tire shop I asked said 20 was the smallest, but I find that hard to believe. What do most folks run for winter wheel size on the xc90 - 19?
      I think one person here is running a set of 18's. Whatever will clear the brake caliper is fine. I run 20" R Design wheels with Blizzaks for winter duty.
      '18 XC90 Inscription
      Crystal White, Maroon Brown, 4C, B&W, Convenience, 21" 8 Spoke Wheels, P*

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoingAround View Post
      Found a great deal on some used 20" 10-spokes that I recently had powder coated
      Looks good! How much did the rims run you? Those wheels with Michelin Xi2s mounted as a winter package are something like $3,800+tax north of the border. Might grab a gently used set with Xi2s mounted.
      Last edited by kramerica; 10-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription | Ember Black, Vision, Convenience, Climate, HUD, 21s

Quote Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoingAround View Post
      Found a great deal on some used 20" 10-spokes that I recently had powder coated
      Looks good! How much did the rims run you? Those wheels with Michelin Xi2s mounted as a winter package are something like $3,800+tax north of the border. Might grab a gently used set with Xi2s mounted.
      I was lucky to find a set of barely used 19” 6 blade turbine wheel with Xi2 set at my dealer for CAD $2500.

Needless to say as soon as my Sales rep texted me about them I got them. Luckily these are the only one that fit the T8. The other 19” set doesn’t fit T8 due to larger brakes.

But I’m not sure they have TPMS cause I’m getting TPMS error.

Quote Originally Posted by X24secret View Post
      I was lucky to find a set of barely used 19” 6 blade turbine wheel with Xi2 set at my dealer for CAD $2500.

Needless to say as soon as my Sales rep texted me about them I got them. Luckily these are the only one that fit the T8. The other 19” set doesn’t fit T8 due to larger brakes.

But I’m not sure they have TPMS cause I’m getting TPMS error.
      Ended up picking them up used privately for $2k - virtually brand new 20" 10 spoke turbines on Xi2.

what year do you have? I recall there was a shift in 2017 to indirect, which wouldn't be in the wheels. Assuming you're in Canada (given CAD pricing), I thought there is no TPMS on Volvo cars up here.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription | Ember Black, Vision, Convenience, Climate, HUD, 21s

I have a set of 4 235/55R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 mounted on 19x8.5 Machined w/Black Accent ANDROS R10 with TPMS, purchased last year from TireRack, very good condition. Probably put under 3,000 miles on them. Where is the best place to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by SF94111 View Post
      I have a set of 4 235/55R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 mounted on 19x8.5 Machined w/Black Accent ANDROS R10 with TPMS, purchased last year from TireRack, very good condition. Probably put under 3,000 miles on them. Where is the best place to sell?
      Where are you located? You may be able to sell them right here. I also would start with your local Craigslist.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Tibits View Post
      Where are you located? You may be able to sell them right here. I also would start with your local Craigslist.
      Yes! Thank you, I posted them on the "Wheels & Tires Classifieds" subforum. I did not realize there was one of those.

FYI if anyone was considering the Nokian winter-focused "all weather" tire, they are heavily discounted right now. I just ordered these for my 21" rims:

https://www.amazon.com/40-21-Nokian-.../dp/B01N9QVY2N

Quote Originally Posted by yettavr6 View Post
      FYI if anyone was considering the Nokian winter-focused "all weather" tire, they are heavily discounted right now. I just ordered these for my 21" rims:

https://www.amazon.com/40-21-Nokian-.../dp/B01N9QVY2N
      Thank you!

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

I have snow tires with 8/32 " tread. Should that be adequate for a low snowfall area?
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8

You are fine till you hit about 5/32 or less than 4mm. After that the tire isn’t as grippy as it should be. You are at 6.30mm now.

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21