Adding Paddle Shifters to a Paddle-less 2016 S60...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I've searched quite a bit and can't conclusively come up with an answer for this model year S60.

Can I add a paddle shifter-equipped steering wheel?

I see the paddle steering wheels available online, but that's about it.

The two sales reps I've asked say no, can't be done, but Audi salesmen gave me the same answer and they were wrong, or at least unaware of VCDS. Is there something similar in the Volvo world?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't know if a software update is required or if you can simply add a paddle steering wheel on the network and they work without software.
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Ive asked the Volvo tech services department in Australia and they said they cant do it.

I dont believe it, i see them do Audi, VWs all the time. I think Volvo are just covering their arse
      2015.5 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedeOak View Post
      I've searched quite a bit and can't conclusively come up with an answer for this model year S60.

Yes: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-491992/2016
      See the "steering wheel with paddle shift" options. If your car meets the criteria here it should work. I'm sure most dealers have never tried to do it though and are afraid of the unknown... Should work on any 2014+ S60.
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Very interesting, thanks! Looks like plug and play, no programming required. I'll follow up and post results here.
      2016 S60 Inscription Platinum FWD — Crystal White & Beechwood w/ 19" Portia wheels

Very interesting, thanks! Looks like plug and play, no programming required. I'll follow up and post results here.
      Please do, so i can go and kick my dealers ass for lying!

This and a Kpax Exhaust, all I need, sub'd

You have my attention! Subscribed.
      Current Proof of Insanity: 2014 XC70 3.2 AWD Premier, Flamenco Red/Soft Beige, Heated Everything
      Past Proof of Insanity (except the first one):1985 745, 1998 S70, 2009 V70, 2015.5 S60

I ordered the two tone steering wheel from Tasca, but received the following reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Tasca Parts
      I am sorry for the bad news, however Volvo discontinued 31390245 (two-tone w/ paddles) and replaced it with a new number, 31428610, however this is currently on back order with no estimated date of resupply at this time.

We do not have 31390242 (black w/ paddles) in stock and this is currently on an indefinite back order with Volvo.
      Google searches of the replacement number gives sparse results. Anybody have info or alternate sources?
      Last edited by SpeedeOak; 10-13-2016 at 01:14 PM.

I ordered the two tone steering wheel from Tasca, but received the following reply:

Google searches of the replacement number gives sparse results. Anybody have info or alternate sources?
      What about the R-Design Steering wheel with Paddles?
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels/RD Sport Pedals
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

I followed up with Volvo corporate customer support, who confirms 31390245 is superseded by 31428610, but then goes on to say that based on my VIN "the steering wheel without paddles should be ordered -- this part is currently in stock." She doesn't mention whether the paddle shifter wheel is or isn't available, and doesn't say my vehicle isn't compatible with the changover, but I wrote back requesting clarification and am awaiting a reply.

I also walked in to a local dealer's parts counter. The new number is "not for this market," according to what he read on his system, then he speculated "it's probably available in Sweden." I get barely any hits when I search the number in Google. I'll keep chasing it down, but if any of you have additional info I'm all ears.
      2016 S60 Inscription Platinum FWD — Crystal White & Beechwood w/ 19" Portia wheels

I purchased the paddle shifters last year. I took out the steering wheel only to discover that there are no holes to mount the paddles. I have a MY 13. I was going to purchase the steering wheel but after plugging the paddles directly into the connectors behind the airbag, nothing happened. With pre 14 vehicles, programming would be required.

If anyone wants these things installed in a MY 14-16, I can do it.

I purchased the Polestar shifter, shifter boot and shifter tower as I really liked the lighted shifter knob. I have a 14 XC with the paddle shifters and they no-longer work with the new shifter assembly. It seems that the 14 - 16 had a two wire shift tower and the pre 14 Polestar had a four wire ribbon. I have contacted Polestar, two separate Volvo dealerships and forum members but alas no luck getting them to work. It would seem the four wire shift tower assembly module does not allow for a paddle shifter function, this left me with a decision to go back to the original shifter and have paddle capability, or loose that functionality and have the lighted shifter knob. Needless to say the shifter knob won.
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Harmony View Post
      I purchased the paddle shifters last year...
      Do you have the part number for the paddles, solo? I'm assuming I'll have the same problem, but I'd like to see what all is included, and whether Volvo publishes an instruction set for them.

Volvo customer service hasn't responded to my last email, so I'll be keeping an occasional eye on importers and the reputable overseas parts suppliers.

This morning, I received this reply:

I have been advised if the vehicle does not have paddle shifters from the factory, they cannot be added as an accessory by a dealer.
      I apologize for the delay, and thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
      Kathy
      Volvo Customer Care
      I actually don't trust this reply. If you read the product pages linked above, they specifically note that steering wheel heating cannot be added to Inscription sedans. I would assume they would make a similar disclaimer for paddle shifting, especially since this feature is not available as a factory option on any Inscription models.

The question is, do I trust myself enough (trust that she's incorrect) that I'm willing to chase this thing down, with $500+ dollars on the line?

I too am interested in this. Probably won't do it tho if I have to buy a whole new wheel.

Has anyone tried swapping the whole wheel? The PN for the SWM is the same. There is small harness that you may have to buy for the install. If I get me hands on a wheel I'm going to try swapping the whole thing.
      2012 Ice-White R-Design BLIS, Premium Sound, Navigation
      19" Ixion reps, 245/35R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, H&R springs, H&R 15mm spacers , 3M carbon vinyl roof wrap, CAI, Heico Quad Exhaust & Diffuser w/Carbon insert, resonator delete/y-pipe, Heico Auto Shiftknob, IPD rear sway bar/endlinks, Polestar Pedals & Rear Spoiler, 2014+ TFT cluster, Eurosport Upper Strut Bar, Powerflex upper mount insert.

Good luck with your project. I'd love to have them on my car. But I followed a thread on the S80 sub-forum regarding the same subject which was unsuccessful.

There are two factors at play here, not unlike adding hardware to a PC; 1) you have to add the hardware components necessary 2) the software has to recognize the presence of those hardware components and be programmed to interact properly with them.

So while you can certainly add the hardware components, unless the software in the car recognizes it, the addition won't work. To my knowledge Volvo does not offer any patches or software upgrades that allow this feature to be retrofitted.

Adding to the confusion is that there are several different versions of the Sensus software involved dependent on model year. So potentially a solution for one model year might well not work for a different model year.

So logically what you'd have to do is determine what hardware and software capability is present for the year models that have paddle shifters. Then first determine if the software capability is present (or can be added) to your car, and if so, then go about obtaining the hardware necessary. To buy the hardware first is a potentially expensive gamble, as some on the S80 forum found out the hard way.

My understanding by observation, reverse engineering, and interpolation (and as a caveat, I have the inalienable right to be wrong ) is that most of our cars allow manual shift after first moving the shifter into the manual gate which switches the transmission into "Sport" mode with its associated performance mapping. Then, moving the shifter forward or backward within this manual gate triggers switches that introduce a digital code onto the bus which via the controller cause the electronically-controlled transmission to respond accordingly. Simultaneously, the digital display shows the current status of the selection. For cars so equipped, engaging a paddle shifter switch does both; it switches the transmission to Sport mode and changes the gear with one motion. This suggests to me that the switches in the manual shifter and those in the paddle shifter offer unique codes to the bus, and initiate unique actions (or combination of actions) when engaged.

So again, unless the software is present to recognize the switch being engaged, no appropriate action would be taken. I don't think the software exists on cars that didn't have this option (or that section of the code is not enabled) and that you can't just add the hardware. Because with most other systems on the car, the absence of a hardware component signal on the bus in the presence of software that recognizes is treated as an error state and condition.

From a strategic marketing standpoint I don't understand why this paddle shifter feature is not either standard on all models (it's offered as standard on many much lower cost cars), or offered on an upgrade basis in the same way that Volvo offers front-view cameras, for instance. As basic performance parameters of many cars within a sector become comparable, features like these are often the differentiator that might be a game changer or deal breaker for some purchasers. So availability of features like these on a dealer-added retrofit basis offers the ability to retain that buyer that might otherwise walk, and simultaneously drives potential profit into the service departments of their dealers. I would suspect for instance the same buyer that is willing to purchase and pay a premium for a Polestar upgrade would also be willing to add Paddle Shifters, especially if offered as part of a package.

I hope that your project is successful, and if so, you'll offer complete details on what was necessary. But I think you will find the primary roadblock to be that Volvo does not currently offer a software revision to enable this functionality, either by adding the appropriate code, or enabling code that might already be present.
      Last edited by Synesis; 01-13-2017 at 11:56 AM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Synesis View Post
      Good luck with your project. I'd love to have them on my car. But I followed a thread on the S80 sub-forum regarding the same subject which was unsuccessful.

There are two factors at play here, not unlike adding hardware to a PC; 1) you have to add the hardware components necessary 2) the software has to recognize the presence of those hardware components and be programmed to interact properly with them.

So while you can certainly add the hardware components, unless the software in the car recognizes it, the addition won't work. To my knowledge Volvo does not offer any patches or software upgrades that allow this feature to be retrofitted.

I hope that your project is successful, and if so, you'll offer complete details on what was necessary. But I think you will find the primary roadblock to be that Volvo does not currently offer a software revision to enable this functionality, either by adding the appropriate code, or enabling code that might already be present.
      You may be right, but I hope you're not. Here's my logic:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-491992/2016

The link above is specific to the 2016 model year. I looked up and read the S80 thread you referenced (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-wheel-paddles) and it appears the forum member who tried this owns a 2010, and was using instructions for a 2014? In any case, these instructions are specifically stating my model year.

Anyhow, if you click on my first link, it says that VIDA programming is required for steering wheels with heaters, but it doesn't have that same notation for the non-heated wheels.

Also, it says specifically the heated steering wheels versions aren't compatible with the Inscription models, but doesn't have this same exception for the paddles-only version.

Of course, correspondence with Volvo corporate has them telling me this won't work, or rather, "your car doesn't have paddle shifting so order this steering wheel instead."

Probably the best course of action is to find a wrecked steering wheel from a 2014 and try it first, before shelling out the money. I'm having a friend help me with some of the European auto parts sites, since this two-tone version just isn't available in the US.

You may be right, but I hope you're not. Here's my logic:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-491992/2016

The link above is specific to the 2016 model year. I looked up and read the S80 thread you referenced (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-wheel-paddles) and it appears the forum member who tried this owns a 2010, and was using instructions for a 2014? In any case, these instructions are specifically stating my model year.

Anyhow, if you click on my first link, it says that VIDA programming is required for steering wheels with heaters, but it doesn't have that same notation for the non-heated wheels.

Also, it says specifically the heated steering wheels versions aren't compatible with the Inscription models, but doesn't have this same exception for the paddles-only version.

Of course, correspondence with Volvo corporate has them telling me this won't work, or rather, "your car doesn't have paddle shifting so order this steering wheel instead."

Probably the best course of action is to find a wrecked steering wheel from a 2014 and try it first, before shelling out the money. I'm having a friend help me with some of the European auto parts sites, since this two-tone version just isn't available in the US.
      I hope I'm wrong too.

I'm concerned the Vida programming referenced may possibly regard the heating functionality of the steering wheel only, and not the paddle shifters. I think its intended to add a heated steering wheel, whether or not you already have the paddle shifters, and may not affect any other functionality such as cruise control, audio controls, etc that are also on the steering wheel assembly.. But then some of the cryptic parts descriptions leave me confused.

And yes, as the S80 thread showed only specific versions of the software support the paddle shifters.

I hope you are successful with your experiment, but whether your experience may apply to my 2012.......

Keep us posted with your progress.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD Ice White 2007 S80 V8 Electric Silver 2011 XC60 T6 R-Design Ice White 2012 S60 T6 R-Design Saville Gray

S60 Sojourn - S60 R-Design Information, Reference, and Build Thread

The two sales reps I've asked say no, can't be done, but Audi salesmen gave me the same answer and they were wrong, or at least unaware of VCDS. Is there something similar in the Volvo world?
      Hi,

May be this post can be interesting for you :
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ghlight=Paddle

Henri

Quote Originally Posted by CoJa View Post
      This and a Kpax Exhaust, all I need, sub'd
      not to de-rail the thread, but why are we willing to pay 2k for a Kpax exhaust if it is using fairly-inexpensive Borla muffler / resonator - shouldn't it be fairly easy to replicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Henri.be View Post
      Hi,

Henri
      Hmmm, this changes things

I'm happy to buy a new steering wheel but i want to make sure it works first.

Quote Originally Posted by Henri.be View Post
      Hi,

Henri, that's awesome, thanks for sharing.

I've reached out to a German auto parts seller called Partacus.de to make the steering wheel purchase, but communication back and forth has been slow. I really want the two tone steering wheel, but I know the paddles alone are going to be a whole lot less expensive, especially considering international shipping, and the work should be easier to.

Again, thanks.

Any new info on this quest to add a paddle steering wheel?

Perhaps its just a wiring harness and a steering wheel?
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Similar steps to adding the paddles to 2010-2013MY cars.

Adding the paddle wire would be the only thing required.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth.../topics/607449
      Last edited by EdVQ37; 03-28-2020 at 10:20 PM.

The dealer added mine with no issues. Quite expensive but it is a brand new steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post
      The dealer added mine with no issues. Quite expensive but it is a brand new steering wheel.
      All they did was add the steering wheel, nothing else? I would like to add this to our 2016 S60CC and my newly acquired 2016 V60CC.
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum

Previous:

All they did was add the steering wheel, nothing else? I would like to add this to our 2016 S60CC and my newly acquired 2016 V60CC.
      Yeah, just plug and play. I even got the old one back

This might not work cause it's an Aus link, but there are a list of options and installation instructions.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...ent/VCC-499504

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link. Looks like they may have swapped a cable as part of the install. At least I'll know what to look for from a donor car with paddles.
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum

Previous:

Thanks for the link. Looks like they may have swapped a cable as part of the install. At least I'll know what to look for from a donor car with paddles.
      That wire is in my link I provided. Use that part number. You will already have the correct SAS, and SWM. All you need to do is change that wire for the one in my link I gave you.

I see the wiring harness, P/N: 31332540 . Its listed for steering wheels without heat, did your wheel have heat?

The donor car I am looking at has heat. I'll see if i can get the actual harness from the donor car and compare part numbers
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum

Previous:

I see the wiring harness, P/N: 31332540 . Its listed for steering wheels without heat, did your wheel have heat?

The donor car I am looking at has heat. I'll see if i can get the actual harness from the donor car and compare part numbers
      That donor harness will be fine.

Apologies, the harness listed in my thread was meant to be used for the 11-13 cars if you were to retain the old SAS, as you can only have heated wheel OR paddles due to # of available slots on the pre-facelift cars. The original 11-13 SAS only has room for only one extra accessory.

Your car is newer so it has space for both options in the SAS. You’ll be fine to use the donor harness if your wheel has heat and you want to add paddles in addition to the heated wheel.
      Last edited by EdVQ37; 04-11-2020 at 02:41 AM.

great thank you! Sounds like my 2016 would just be a straight forward swap the donor wheel with the harness in it and no other parts required.
      2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum

Previous:

great thank you! Sounds like my 2016 would just be a straight forward swap the donor wheel with the harness in it and no other parts required.
      That’s what I’m thinking. You can pull off your driver side transmission tunnel cover (the side panel that would be next to your right leg on the side of the centre console) to check and see if your car does indeed have the shift paddle wires already running to your GSM. You should have wires in port #4 & #5 (those are the paddle wires) If they are there then all you would need is the steering wheel with the paddles and should in theory just be a plug and play thing.

Last edited by EdVQ37; 04-11-2020 at 03:56 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast