Automatic gear shifting not smooth
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Automatic gear shifting not smooth

Seems all my issues are automatic related (or a problem between headrest and pedal perhaps!).

Over the last month or two I've noticed the shifts between gears have become less smooth and it's particularly noticeable when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, though it does happen a bit in 1st to 2nd. I can only describe it as the "clutch" being let out a bit too quickly so it really bites going into the subsequent gear. It's not harsh or a jolt but I notice it.

When slowing down from speed, coming off a motorway for example, I've also noticed similar behaviour changing down the gears, especially what I think is going through 3rd (it's hard to tell sometimes as I just see D on the screen). On one occasion it felt like someone had tapped the car from behind.

I thought it might go away but I've left it a while and the issue still remains.

Is this expected as the car mileage increases (38K miles), or is it an indication something is wrong?

Can't see any link to engine/transmission temperature, cold start or driving for an hour and it exhibits the same behaviour. Volvo V40 D3 (2013).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same issues as described by you. Mine is a 2014 T5 2.0 with Aisin 6 speed transmission, not sure if D3 shares the same gearbox.

I've sent it to the service centre many times however there is no error code fault found by the technicians and there is nothing he can do other than running the adaptation.

I have resorted to pouring in transmission additive whenever I change the automatic transmission fluid, and it does help to reduce the occurrence just a little bit.

How about you? Did you manage to get the problem resolved?

Sent from my CPN-L09 using Tapatalk

Same boat as you, every time I get the car serviced I ask them to take a look but all they do is reset the adaptation which either works for a few days or not at all, so I've just given up asking.

The car works fine for the most part but the gear changes are just not quite as smooth as when I first bought it. Nothing jarring though, no one else would notice. Every once in a while it will really shove itself into reverse/first when I select them for no apparent reason (like a real clunk into gear when stationary), then it goes back to normal.

I've never had the transmission fluid changed - I was told it was not considered serviceable unless you are a taxi or pulling a caravan all the time. Not sure I could be bothered trying myself! I'll be changing cars at the end of the year, so I'm not inclined to spend more money on it than is necessary.

Such a frustrating little niggle for what is otherwise an excellent car in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by bappy View Post
      Same boat as you, every time I get the car serviced I ask them to take a look but all they do is reset the adaptation which either works for a few days or not at all, so I've just given up asking.

Such a frustrating little niggle for what is otherwise an excellent car in my view.
      I had the same issue on a 2015 D3 (5 cylinder engine, 6-speed Aisin transmission) - solved it by swapping it for a 2016 D4 (4 cylinder VEA engine, 8-speed Aisin transmission). Both the engine and the transmission are in a different league ...

Pierre

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements