Limited Slip Differential - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Did you have the panhard bar attached to the back axle while you were letting it hang down at the shocks full extension? If so, chances are that the rod is pulling the axle to the side. It will pull the axle to the driver's side of the car as the suspension extends.

If you haven\t done this, you will need to adjust the panhard rod length with the rear suspension loaded with the car weight, so the axle on jackstands. I adjusted the panhard rod to get the outer wheel rim edges equidistant to the fender edges - having a couple of bare rims helped. You can try doing the measurement from the tires if you don't have bare rims. Probably not a disaster since the fender edges are not exactly precision data points.

I was wondering about the bright yellow on the sway bar hardware.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I tried it a few ways,

First was just dry fitting everything with the trailing arms attached and the axle hanging on the shocks, and no Panhard= poor torque rod alignment.

Then lifting the back of the car up off the jack stands with the floor jack under the differential. Still no Panhard. Still poor torque rod alignment.

So I extended the panhard to allow it to slip on the axle mount, while the axle is still hanging on the shocks. I can then easily wind the rod by hand to move the axle towards the drivers side. By doing this I can get one torque rod to line up nicely, but then the other side is out of wack, so there is something not aligned/square.

I'll take some measurements, and get the squares out over the weekend and figure it out. It could be a trailing arm alignment issue, so I may have to have a look at those as well. but it appears that something is not square. I do understand how the geometry works and the function of the panhard and it's effect changing the geometry ... that's why I have gone through the trouble of getting adjustable components.

Once I have the torque rods and trailing arms all squared up and fitted, I'll put the car on the ground and adjust the torque rod length to square the flange on the pinion to the drive shaft, then I'm sure there will be a bit more "tuning" to ensure that everything is still square and on the centerline weighted.

I'll report back over the weekend.
      Last edited by scaramoucheii; 11-16-2018 at 01:46 AM.
      Currently: 2016 XC90 T8, 1973 1800ES Original D-Jet, 1973 142 B20B, 1977 242 B230FT
      Previously: 1974 144 B20B, 1974 142 B20F, 1989 740, 1981 242 GLT, 1996 740, 1999 V70

I just noticed your links for the rear sway bar. The early rear IPD sway bars on the 140 did not come with a reinforcing plate for the attachment point on the floor. At some point, IPD added a reinforcing plate because vigorous driving could result in the sway bar links ripping out of the floor. I don't see the reinforcing plates in the photo. Perhaps they are covered with undercoat or they are mounted on the top side of the floor (that is where I installed mine). If your sway bar is really old and didn't come with the plates or they went AWOL, it would be easy to fabricate some.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The reinforcing (backing) plates are there, on the inside of the car.

3 bolts, but mostly "Obscured By Clouds"

IMG_6824 (2).jpg
      Last edited by scaramoucheii; 11-16-2018 at 12:27 PM.
      Currently: 2016 XC90 T8, 1973 1800ES Original D-Jet, 1973 142 B20B, 1977 242 B230FT
      Previously: 1974 144 B20B, 1974 142 B20F, 1989 740, 1981 242 GLT, 1996 740, 1999 V70

Hey scaramoucheii, did you ever got the Truetrac installed? Or did I miss it on another thread?

Yes I did get it installed, you didn't miss anything, I've just been really busy with house renovations and work to update.

It worked out very nicely, I had a local JEEP shop do the bearings and install the Diff, but then I put the rear end back in in my Garage. I actually had it installed back in November, when I took the pictures of the torque rods and sway bar, but it took another month until I rolled it out of the Garage and re-tuned the SU's

I also put new rubber onto the Virgos and with the Bilstieins and Lower stiffer springs from VP the car performs so much sportier. The LSD is noticeable when "Turning Right on Red" as the right rear squeals every time I step out aggressively to get into traffic, I havent done much aggressive driving otherwise as I still only have about 50 miles on it since it was installed.

It is not noticeably noisier than the old stock Diff, which was in decent shape when I removed it (I used the old ring and pinion 4.10, as the JEEP guys inspected it and said it looked great at 130K miles)

The Lower A Arm bushes in the front now need replacing, they only had a little bit of play before and were "on the list" but now with everything else tighter and stiffer I notice that and it's annoying. I have the new bushes and a Harbor Freight press, so just need to get around to it

Good to hear the LSD worked out and thanks for the update. When cornering I can hear the inside wheel losing traction (variation in engine noise) so I'm considering this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2