'66 122S Midlife Makeover - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Would have been even wilder to have it say 66122. Nice job on this car!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome results.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Funny you should mention that...

Knowing that the color would change significantly with different lighting, I had to take those pics in dark overcast anyway, since it was the car's first drive. With lots of sun (and the disclaimer that the car isn't quite "done" yet), here's how it looks today:

Funny thing is that with a flash dead-on, the blue is even more visible, you can see that in some door and dash shots posted earlier.

I had seen lots of photos of Sea Green 1800s, but was kinda surprised when I first saw it in person... a good kind of surprise.
      Chris

1966 122S B-18D/M40 4-dr, Sea Green/Brown
      2007 XC90 3.2 AWD, Shadow Blue/Graphite Gray
      2012 Audi A6 3.0T quattro, Aviator Blue/Brown

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Would have been even wilder to have it say 66122. Nice job on this car!
      Thanks... yeah, if only I'd done the rebuild earlier, it would be particularly cosmic, but the previous owner might've objected to me setting up shop in his garage.
      Chris

Chris;

Gorgeous! ...but I'm going to check that Emerg Brake Thumbguard at the next show...it better be right or I'm deducting big points...!

Cheers and Happy Swedish Motoring! (Insure that baby well!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
      Chris;

Gorgeous! ...but I'm going to check that Emerg Brake Thumbguard at the next show...it better be right or I'm deducting big points...!

Cheers and Happy Swedish Motoring! (Insure that baby well!)

Thanks, Ron... I deliberately didn't show the handbrake (I did say that it wasn't QUITE done yet!), but I do have a new part... just got to find it!

Already pumped up the insurance before first test drive, so we're covered there. Yesterday's test drive went so well, I kept going to DMV, only to fail for a weak (absent) right rear brake. So... now I have the opportunity to get acquainted with adjustment procedures.

Irrespective of the brake, the car ran smoother and stronger than ever... could it be possible that cars know when they've been given another life?

Chris;

What is understood under "weak" are shoes connecting much later than other side (adjustment) or what??...wet with fluid so poor friction...what?

For Adjustment, simply lift rear and ajust one corner at a time... tighten Adjustor with a 1/4" square drive...you'll feel detents as the adjustment cone is not really conical, but conical with facets to prevent self adjustment/movement...tighten until wheel cant be turned by hand, then just back off until it's free to spin (closest adjustment point without actual Shoe to Drum contact). Roadtest on asphalt with a little sand spread so that right/left lockup point can be compared...should be fairly similar if adjusted well and friction from side to side is similar...

Ratcheting super groovy Brake Adjustment Tool of 3/8" drive socket, a 3/8" socket head drive (also used with extensions and u-joint for M40 removal) and 1/4" drive 3/8" socket turned around...(I kill myself!!):

Good Hunting!

Edit: Picture of my super groovy brake adjustment tool added!
      Last edited by Ron Kwas; 05-16-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Thank you, sir... had it up yesterday and verified that the emergency brake would only make scuff sounds when engaged on that wheel (must've been that thumbguard!), and things looked pretty dry, so on to adjustment.

BTW, the Sw-Em seatback suspension passed the road test with flying colors!

Are the adjustors free to turn...otherwise I see a Drum-pull in you future...

'66 122S Midlife Makeover

Didn't have time to raise the car, but verified that the adjusters turn; troubleshooting another issue confirmed two broken socket wires in the tail light, so that should be fun as well.

That's an awesome tool design (must be Bavarian)... every tip welcome!
      Last edited by Csm22; 05-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
      Chris

Catching up...

Brake adjuster cleaned/greased, replaced a wheel cylinder and repaired two tail light socket wires (no substitute for those socket terminal crimp connectors). Car passed inspection without a hitch.

First time back to local Cars & Coffee yesterday...

Plenty of stuff to do, but great to have the car back on the road.
      Chris

Pinions… everybody’s got one.

And mine had progressed from a weep to drip over its restoration dormancy, so it was time to deal with that dreaded (at least to this first-timer) task. PO had evidently felt the same way, as there was a new seal in the box of parts that came with the car.
      Marked the flanges and pulled the driveshaft flange bolts…

Made a holding tool for pulling the nut…

There’s the culprit, in all its cruddy glory.

Removal and replacement was pretty straightforward, but torqueing the nut down was another story, especially under a car on jack stands. Getting the 200 ft/lbs was only half the challenge… breaking the holding tool twice added a new twist; cutting off the damaged section and bolting it on as a doubler took care of that.

Replacing the leaky differential cover seal also on the list, and as long as I had it off I might as well clean and paint it. Trim RTV later.

With the differential seals nice and dry, Friday is Take Your Amazon to Work Day.

Chris

Chris,

That is one sweet looking ride--and it sounds as if she is becoming just as beautiful under her skin. I don't recall--did you paint the engine compartment, trunk and interior as well? Great color, BTW.

Dan

Thanks, Dan -- pretty pleased with how she turned out so far.

Although the trunk and doors were taken off for paint inside and out, the engine compartment remains satin black from previous owner; paint shop freshened it up in the more open areas. I'll repaint in body color someday when I have the motor out (no reason to do so at this time).

About the color… when weighing alternatives to the car’s original Dark Blue 90 (which I also seriously considered), I kept thinking that the Amazon’s sheet metal would be best highlighted by a medium metallic shade (kind of the inverse of how ugly cars look better in darker colors), but knew it had to be a Volvo shade of blue. Research revealed that Volvo actually tested a Blue Green Metallic (53/91) in 1967, building only 133 cars with this shade. I have yet to actually see any pictures of this test color, only the remnants on a body data plate. From what I can determine, Volvo didn’t offer a similar color until it introduced Sea Green (115-1) for 1973 on the 1800ES, so I regard this color as the next best thing. Wife was the tiebreaker, and since she has wholeheartedly supported this project (and has demonstrated outstanding judgment on most counts), her vote put me over center. I’ve tried to keep the rest of the car consistent with what could have been a period-appropriate build with an interior color similar to that ordered with a Sea Green ES.

Fully acknowledging and respecting the purist view, I also understand that there are plenty of nice Dark Blue 90 Amazons already out there. My mission goal was to keep a relatively uncommon car (at least in these parts) on the road for people to see and appreciate something other than a tri-five Chevy, and I wanted the color to be eye catching yet genetically correct. So far, so good… on the car’s first day out, I caught a lady admitting that she had to have her picture taken with it in the parking lot. When was the last time a DMV worker told you that she loved your paint?

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it… 😉

Local car show...
      Chris

Did you get your interior kit from VP Autoparts? If so, it is much closer in color to the original than the (very brown) sample that they provided me. If not VP, who sold you the kit?

Kit was from VP, color "Brown" for MY 67-68.

Late afternoon sun makes this color appear a bit lighter. Here's another view:

I like this color much better than the Cognac used with this paint on the 1800ES... a bit less orange.
      Chris

That is one spiff Amazon. Definitely worthy of the best interior award and more.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

Wow this car turned out amazing!

Saweet!

Thanks, all... it’s great to be able to get the car out there and give people a chance to appreciate something a bit different. Oh yeah, it’s a helluva lot of fun to drive, too.

Car gatherings are especially fun when your Amazon stands out among the usual enthusiast communities (muscle cars, ricers, etc.). Despite the factions, we’re all car people and that’s a good thing.
      Chris

Agreed with all the accolades - this is a beautiful restoration. While I opted for the ES route as a restoration vehicle of choice, the alternative car that I coveted in my youth was a forest green 67 Amazon GT, so I could have gone either way and been happy. Love the Sea Green as well - it certainly fits the car and period. And yes, the interior is also gorgeous. If the quality of my ES turns out this well, I will be ecstatic.
      1991 VW Vanagon Westfalia - money pit extraordinaire
      Previous - 2004 XC70 - Mountain hauler with 'R' suspension parts - missed greatly

Thanks, dman... the ES (which I've loved since they were introduced) was one of my original restoration candidates, until I realized that a solid example was probably going to cost more than I was willing to pay for a project. While this "affordable" Amazon project admittedly got a bit out of hand, it's been lots of fun and worth every bit.

I look forward to following your restoration...

Have been putting off messing with carburetors since buying the car nearly four years, all the while dealing with the frustration of excessive idle speed, occasional hiccup, and lack of power on acceleration and cruising. Time to get serious.

After adjusting valves and checking timing, I finally dug into the books and expert advice on SUs and set about disassembling, cleaning and setting/synchronizing the carbs. Got the idle speed down to a non-frantic level, and the choke now functions as intended.

Test drive introduced me to a whole new car. Smooth, powerful(ish) and hiccup free.

You can learn a lot from the expertise on the web. Thanks to all for their insight.

Cars & Coffee next Sat...
      Chris

Added an aux power box providing 4 USB and 3 lighter sockets (overkill, but it’s what was available). Hardwired a fused lighter socket harness under dash for box's lighter plug. Switchable with a digital voltage readout, box hangs under dash with a magnetic strip, can be concealed even deeper under the dash or removed altogether for car shows. Phone won’t die when providing nav and tunes via Bluetooth.

Solid turnout for Dayton's Cars and Coffee season opener (pretty big one, spans a few lots in the office park). Found out later there was an 1800 there, but didn't see it. Plenty of questions and comments about the Amazon, but still seeking other vintage Volvos in the area.

Unwelcome surprise after changing out the valve cover gasket to address oil leak: car would crank, but no start. Fuel filter upstream of pump showed no flow, but no blockage found in line; new pump and downstream filter does the job.

Last edited by Csm22; 04-23-2019 at 07:57 PM.
      Chris

Good day at a local charity car show…

One other Volvo among the mostly domestic iron; this one with a Chevy 350 shoehorned in among other mods.

Chris

Hello, my name is Chris, and I’m a Volvoholic...

Left the house in my daily driver only to turn back after the first quarter mile when I realized what a perfect day it was. Pulled the Amazon out and made my best decision of the day...

Last edited by Csm22; 07-23-2019 at 07:22 AM.
      Chris

Hi Chris!...we all understand!...especially when you have that as your "Option 2"...nice Pic taken during "the golden hour" Cheers from CT!

Cars and Coffee at Dayton’s Carillon Park on Sat...

Just when I think I had the only Volvo, a closer look at this MG rat rod reveals otherwise...

...sorta.

Last edited by Csm22; 09-17-2019 at 01:07 PM.
      Chris

Gorgeous Chris, that color really is something else!

Thanks... probably the thing that gets mentioned the most, followed by a whole lot of questions about ancient Volvos. Not a lot on the road around here, so for a lot of people it's the first time they've ever seen a 122. Like my wife said, "if it's the only Amazon people are ever going to see, you need to make it the prettiest one you can."

Who am I to argue with that?
      Last edited by Csm22; 09-17-2019 at 01:58 PM.
      Chris

OK, it’s been a while since last posting, but not for lack of activity.

After the last Cars & Coffee of the season in mid-Oct, next task was replacing the choke cable which broke at the handle on my way to C&C. In anticipation of oncoming weather in late Nov, a fresh oil change and put the car to bed for the winter…

Plotting my winter maintenance tasks, I finally got around to flushing and bleeding the brakes, building an adaptor cap for my new pressure bleeder… fluid was ugly. Next was changing out the weeping clutch slave cylinder, flushing and bleeding that as well. Pedals feel much better and the peace of mind is liberating.

On to solving a nagging thing… since putting the car back together, I was never satisfied with the noise level, detecting air leaks at the doors. Panel gaps looked even and doors closed tightly, but for some reason it was too noisy… not a big deal when you drive with the windows down, but early morning runs said something wasn’t right. After enough research of other Amazons, it became obvious that I had installed the seals backward. The one car that looked like mine on another forum was called out for being wrong; like me, that owner had installed the seals the same way they had been installed by a previous owner. So… in the interest of helping prevent this from happening to the next Amazonian, THIS is what they should look like. Friends don’t let friends improperly install door seals.

Now, on to wiring…
      Chris

Awaiting Approval
      What a great Amazon! Really love the color!
      Thanks for posting that much photos, I'm almost finished with the restauration of my 4-door 1965 122s and it was good to have your reference photos.

Btw. Mine is also metallic, only Midnight Blue (1960s Aston Martin color).

Koos

Great work!!! Beautiful car! Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
      What a great Amazon! Really love the color!
      Thanks for posting that much photos, I'm almost finished with the restauration of my 4-door 1965 122s and it was good to have your reference photos.

Btw. Mine is also metallic, only Midnight Blue (1960s Aston Martin color).

Koos
      Thanks... It's been a lot of fun so far, and this forum is an invaluable resource; I know I would've been stuck many times without it.

You have to post photos of your car as well... I think I know that color, but have yet to see it on an Amazon. As they say: "pictures, or it didn't happen!"

Cheers,

Chris
      Chris

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast