Have the "software updates" actually fixed anyone's cars?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Have the "software updates" actually fixed anyone's cars?

I have been having trouble finding an account of a scenario between someone having no trouble with their 2016 XC90 and someone having a lot of trouble with it.

I love hearing/reading about people's experiences with these cars that have been working 100% since day 1, but I really want to hear from some folks who can confirm that their cars were having issues but after some "software updates" they are now working fine.

Have the "software updates" actually fixed anyone's cars to the point that they were 100% confident in its performance and behavior?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by esther View Post
      Have the "software updates" actually fixed anyone's cars to the point that they were 100% confident in its performance and behavior?
      Definitely not mine.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

When I got mine in May 2015 I had some problems like my XM stations randomly not appearing and not being selectable unless I turned the car or for a long time. That was annoying on almost every long weekend summer trip I took in 2015. I also had the HUD disappear up high on some start ups and had to press the memory seat button to have it drop back down. The November update fixed both of those problems. It did create a different issue but Volvo did find the problem and fix it with a parts replacement.

Then the May update came and that added a few features, not all I was hoping to see like easy ingress/egress, but I had it done with no problems afterwards. It also fixed the low battery message I began getting in 2016, maybe March give or take.

I've not had the car go into limp mode like some have posted about, and I don't want to jinx myself so I'll leave this all alone now, lol. Those have been my experiences, or at least the best I can quickly remember and type them.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Once again you put yet another post bashing the XC90 I believe you have an agenda. Theres plenty of happy XC90 owners, This little part of the web is so tiny you might have 1% of XC90 owners on here.

I am 100% confident in my year-old XC90 to get from Point A to Point B safely and easily.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun42073 View Post
      Once again you put yet another post bashing the XC90 I believe you have an agenda. Theres plenty of happy XC90 owners, This little part of the web is so tiny you might have 1% of XC90 owners on here.

By reading your posts it looks as if you work for Volvo as a dealership technician, so perhaps you're the one with the agenda?

My agenda is to assuage my own concerns and anxieties about the car I just bought that's already been in the shop several times. Don't you think that's abnormal for a brand new car?

My agenda in posting this thread is that I sincerely want to hear from other people who have been in my shoes who can tell me that their cars are working fine after having some trouble with them and getting some software updates.

Full disclosure: I work for a Public University in a completely unrelated field.
      Last edited by esther; 10-21-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Thank you for replying with your experiences @Paradox and @reeg2!

Quote Originally Posted by Tibits View Post
      Definitely not mine.
      Are you still working with your Dealer to get your car working 100%?

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      Agree with all the positive comments. After one year, I am extremely happy with my XC90 and software updates fixed minor known problems, e.g., low battery, HUD, USB port & senses shut down.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

Are you still working with your Dealer to get your car working 100%?
      Sort of. I can only commit so much time (and stress) to dealing with a car. I try only to take the car in for major issues at this point keeping punch lists of the small things in the interim, otherwise my XC90 would be at the dealer monthly. For instance, my Sensus has once again been crashing and going black screen once in awhile. This annoys the hell out of me as the car was in for 2 days of software updates this spring that supposedly "resolved" this, however I'm not taking the car in again solely over this issue. I am hoping to wait until later in the year and take it in for the 10k service and major November update (if there is one) all at once. At this time I am considering asking them to do a complete wipe and reinstall of all software, as I have bugs that have never fully resolved.

My dealer's Service department still has a huge learning curve with this car. My SA admits that they have learned much from me (via this forum) on some of the major issues. They now have their valet service pick up the car at my house, leave an XC90 loaner and return the car when "fixed". I appreciate their efforts, but what I really want is a car that just works and only has to go in for regular service once or twice a year. I had planned on buying winter tires and wheels, but am now hedging. I had planned to keep this car for a long time, but for the first time I am reconsidering. I can't fathom owning this car after warranty (and the warranty term isn't overly generous to begin with). It's too bad as I do love driving the car and Volvo's safety features.

My dealer freely admits that they are seeing software issues with most XC90s. However, the myriad of issues I have had have been both software related and mechanical in nature (brakes, engine mount, HVAC). It's a bummer.
      Last edited by Tibits; 10-22-2016 at 07:15 AM.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun42073 View Post
      Probably every one has an agenda, possibly unconciously.
      I find the OP's queqtion a legitimate one and I am interested in the (hopefully positive) replies.
      Zahra

As a potential Volvo owner I appreciate threads like this, don't assume that someone is a troll just because they are asking for information on the latest fixes. I for one will NOT be slapping down 60k for a car that has this many issues. The limp mode is enough to prompt a forced recall but I know that won't happen until it causes a few deaths. Then there are little software problems/glitches with the Sensus, the navigation, the audio = I think I would find those very annoying in daily life. It will likely take 1-2 years of public Beta testing for this platform to mature. I'm Really Looking Forward to the XC90 being a great vehicle but right now it's too buggy. Die hard Volvo fans will obviously disagree.

And I also fear the various Volvo 'nannies' (ie. can't do something until your belt is buckled, can't do something else until your door is shut), I don't even know what they are but it's likely Volvo has gone even further than most other auto manufacturers. It's way beyond safety these days, many of these features are obtrusive. I'll do some more test drives. (For Toyota there is Techstream, it allows one to disable many annoying nannies, don't know if Volvo has something similar.)

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      It will likely take 1-2 years of public Beta testing for this platform to mature.
      I don't know when the first nex XC90's were delivered, isn't the second production year already here?
      Zahra

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      I really think that some cars with persistent problems can be related to service people. The car is so complicated that not every service knows how to deal with this car, and as mentioned above it is a learning curve. If they cannot fix the problem in a way that they should, possibly the problem persists. I know that in my service (which is perfect), there is a group of technicians with special training who are allowed to work with XC90s. Others cannot touch XC90s.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

I got mine in May, along with the May update. Great without issues thus far. I'm taking her in for the first 10K maintenance.

We don't have ours yet so I can't answer, but earlier this year my neighbor bought a brand new Honda Pilot and in the first two weeks the entire infotainment unit went out. Took her two weeks to get it dealt with. I personally think that since we are no longer buying cars, but rather computers with wheels on them, everyone is going to be seeing a lot more issues as new cars come on the market with more sophisticated software systems.

We bought a new washing machine a few years ago that had all sorts of fancy buttons and features, and within 1 month the motherboard crapped out and had to be replaced. The washer sucked the whole time we had it, and we finally got rid of it and bought a new "old school" machine that we love.

I love a lot of these techy gadgets, but there is certainly a downside.

My MY16 XC90 T8 has been great with only one service for May 2016 software update. 10K service coming up in early Dec and I expect the updates will further refine and enhance. I am not experiencing any bugs per se - just looking forward to the remote start for the T8 in US when plug-in not available for preconditioning.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements