SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Venetian Red 2000 V70R AWD Being Brought Back!

80K views 708 replies 62 participants last post by  CYB3RBYTE 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Usually I am posting on the 2016 XC90 Forum, but I think I will be more heavily involved here for a while.

I just bought a Veneitian Red with black, 2000 V70R. In 1998, I had a new, black V70R AWD wagon, and loved it. This will be my project car.

It spent the first 8 years in California. Not a bit of rust or undercarriage damage. No accidents.
The last 10 years it was owned by the owner of an Auto Service Shop, who showed it the love it needed. Timing belt replacement, synthetic oil change every 5K, coolant flushes, new camshaft seals, lots of other service.... HE sold it in pristine condition only because of personal health issues unrelated to the car.

The bad news is the last 8 months it was abused in some fashion, prior to being repossessed by the used car dealer. It now drives like a box of rocks without a steering wheel. According to both the local Volvo shop who did a pre purchase inspection (and the previous owner who is going to do the work for me (a Master Automotive Mechanic) it needs:

• Replace both Lower Control Arms and Ball Joints
  • Remove and Replace Drive Shaft

Ooch!

Plus a bit of maintenenace:
  • Remove and Replace Upper Radiator Hose
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter
  • Replace Engine Air Filter

I am also going to Install Extreme Contact DWS Tires and do an alignment

I got it cheap as it was repossessed and I had the evidence of $3K in needed repairs. I expect it to be a great driver after this work is done. Alcantera interior needs some work, but all electrical, audio, and mechanical work fine.

The dent doctor is next, with a serious interior and exterior detail.

I'll be posting pics when I get it back with the necessary drivability improvements!

I may need some help along the way! I appreciate the info you guys share!

Fred

See less See more
#54 · (Edited)
New stitched Alcantera skins are on. Still need some dye and conditioning in a few spots, but liking the new look and feel!

With the current cold, I appreciate that both seat heaters are also now functional, with a new pad on the drivers side.

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2000 Venetian Red V70R
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#56 ·
Love the new alcantara with the contrasting stitching - reminds me of an Aston Martin!

How will you touch up the leather on the seats?

#58 · (Edited)
Thanks!

I'm not quite sure. The leather guy said the seats were charcoal, not black, and he did not have the right dye. He is quite the perfectionist.

I was thinking of trying in an inconspicuous area

Black magic marker, or
Liquid black shoe polish
And see what it looks like.

I also may just do a heavy application of zymol or opticoat leather conditioner. That may just bring them back enough. Need to be warmer for that to happen though. -6 degrees here this am!

Thoughts?

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#61 ·
I've actually done both the shoe polish and magic marker solutions on my late S60R that had the nordkap interior. These solutions work fine IMHO in very small areas but in your case I would recommend doing a more professional job with the correct dye. There have been several threads over the years over in the P2R forum and at some point I will have to do the gobi seats on my R. Included in those threads are vendor names where you can probably source the dye. The charcoal shouldn't be that hard to track down. Like most things I would imagine there is a trick to it, like not putting the stuff on too heavy, etc., etc. Love the work you're doing to this car - Venetian one of my favorite colors.

#64 ·
I've dyed seats, done upholstery work, shaved/cleaned/restored atacama and tried several products. On my p80 charcoal v70r seats I've used;

With good results. I follow both with a leather conditioner. On my daughters s60r Nordkap seats this worked very well

I've also had success dying leather from tan to black for my 242 using this

There are a lot of products available and when it comes to buying you can mix dyes to get whatever color shade you want. I've been pleased with the scuff cover as a first choice for covering crack marks. Use the applicator and wipe immediately with a dry paper towel to blend it. Then apply conditioner.

I like the look of your seats with the extra foam layer; did they add to the base and back or just the bolsters? Your build is very nice of that classy Venetian!

#65 ·
Thanks for the tips. I will check them out.

I asked my guy to add some high density foam to the base and backs. It seems to have added some strength and firmness to the seats I desired.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#67 · (Edited)
Hmmm......"hear and feel a solid door slam"........is someone trying to send a secret message that they're tired of you telling them not to slam the doors? :screwy:

JK....mostly;). Interested to hear how this stuff performs since I've not heard of this brand before.

#68 ·
So, Phase two of mechanical upgrades are starting today. This includes:

New catalytic converter. Easton unit will give me Three year parts and labor warranty with the shop I am using, 50 state Legal, and no CEL codes.

Diagnosing a small evap leak.
Replacing hood release cable.
Replacing leaking power steering pump and pully, and flushing power steering fluid.
Transmission flush and fill with synthetic.
Replace leaking oil cooler seal.
Replace instrument cluster lights with IPD kit.
Replace PVC system banjo bolt with 2016 upgrade. Much easier to do while the power steering pump is off. Rest of the PVC system was done not long ago, but no evidence of the bolt being changed out.

This work should bring the car to a state with no fluid leaks, and no mechanical issues. It's been an expensive proposition to bring it back this far, but am glad to be doing it right.

Attached are a few pics after the snow. Dents removed, repainted bumpers, new jewels, new fog lights. Enjoying this daily driver.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#69 ·
At the rate you are going, you're going to decide it's too nice to be a DD pretty soon! Then you'll have to start shopping for a "shiit70" like so many other people on here have been doing recently lol.

#71 ·
Lol. Your right about that! When it snows I take out my 2016 XC90 so crazy people don't slide into the "good" car. #wifethinksimcrazy

2000 Venetian Red V70R
LOL. But, seriously, I've given up driving in snow because of all the morons out there. I almost got killed by a cop driving recklessly in the snow about a year ago (he would have t-boned me at like 50 mph - in a 30 zone at a known dangerous intersection I might add - had I entered that intersection a second or so earlier than I did) and that really did it for me. No more of this. And then I've got that crop of non-enthusiast friends who are always like "DUDE LMAO I SLID THROUGH LIKE THREE RED LIGHTS GOING DOWN A HILL IN THE SNOW LAST NIGHT LOL!" so that really doesn't help, either. :facepalm::eek:

If you are going to go out in the snow, it'll be a way easier insurance battle with the XC90 if (when?) you get hit, and there will be plenty of them out there to replace it with if it's terminal. You would never get the insurance company to pay out anything near what you have in the V70R, and good luck finding another one even if you did get enough money to buy another. #turnsoutyourenotcrazy

#72 ·
In addition to the XC90 having a lot more safety features given that it's a roughly 20 year newer design. Was reading the thread last night about the XC90 that got t-boned at around 60 mph - car rolled a few times and both driver and passenger got out of car relatively unharmed. Congrats on your Venetian - looks fabulous. How much do you estimate that you have into it at this point?

#73 ·
That is an excellent question, and I hope you answer truthfully. I'd love to bring one back sometime. There are some on here lately that have been dirt cheap by comparison to what they were just two or three years ago, but they scare me if I'm going to be in elbows deep with expenses. I do plan on trying to do some myself, but still.

#80 ·
No. Decided to do a full cat replacement. I figured for my own benefit, and to be 50 state legal, for resale, since I can, I would try to do the restore right.
Well, when you're ready to sell, let me know. ;)

#89 ·
The best mod I have made to the car. A new drivers seat pad. The Volvo seat firmness is back!
Whoa, I thought these were NLA. I might have to get a set for my T-5R.....as comfy as the R seats I have in there now are, it would be cool to have the original skins back in there (they're in surprisingly good shape for 275k) and this would make them acceptably comfortable again.....

#90 ·
Wow, I also thought you couldn't get them anymore. IIRC Chris@Swedespeed replaced the seat foam on his project T5 but that was several years ago now at this point.

JaredR I would also have thought the seat foam for the T-5R would also be NLA but who knows, all I know is that it won't be inexpensive. When I reupholstered my T-5R seat last winter I used a few different types of foam to augment the old seat foam and it came out good - certainly not as good as new seat foam but much better than it was.

#95 ·
You can't insure a DD with Hagerty.

#96 ·
True, not with Hagerty and 2000 and newer must have a minimum value of $7,500. Needs to be limited or Special Edition models too.

Other Insurers may provide one but limited use is usually a requirement.

#98 ·
the R is definitely a special edition. Might be a tough sell convincing them that it's worth $7½k, but it's close with all you've done to it. That's probably about what it's worth in the PacNW, or maybe a touch more.

#100 ·
FYI, the 2000 V70R seat pad is NLA. This part was recommended b,y my dealer as being compatible. It works well, but for a perfect fit, I recommend adding about 1/4 inch high density foam on the top of the side bolsters. The rest of the fit is great.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#179 ·
What do you exactly mean by "high density foam"? I am sorry I am not sure I translate right. Do you mean some foam from the ballon under pressure?
FYI, the 2000 V70R seat pad is NLA. This part was recommended b,y my dealer as being compatible. It works well, but for a perfect fit, I recommend adding about 1/4 inch high density foam on the top of the side bolsters. The rest of the fit is great.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#102 ·
Looking good! That looks like the correct use for a Volvo estate. How do you keep the dog from scratching up the bumper?