SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Venetian Red 2000 V70R AWD Being Brought Back!

80K views 708 replies 62 participants last post by  CYB3RBYTE 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Usually I am posting on the 2016 XC90 Forum, but I think I will be more heavily involved here for a while.

I just bought a Veneitian Red with black, 2000 V70R. In 1998, I had a new, black V70R AWD wagon, and loved it. This will be my project car.

It spent the first 8 years in California. Not a bit of rust or undercarriage damage. No accidents.
The last 10 years it was owned by the owner of an Auto Service Shop, who showed it the love it needed. Timing belt replacement, synthetic oil change every 5K, coolant flushes, new camshaft seals, lots of other service.... HE sold it in pristine condition only because of personal health issues unrelated to the car.

The bad news is the last 8 months it was abused in some fashion, prior to being repossessed by the used car dealer. It now drives like a box of rocks without a steering wheel. According to both the local Volvo shop who did a pre purchase inspection (and the previous owner who is going to do the work for me (a Master Automotive Mechanic) it needs:

• Replace both Lower Control Arms and Ball Joints
  • Remove and Replace Drive Shaft

Ooch!

Plus a bit of maintenenace:
  • Remove and Replace Upper Radiator Hose
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter
  • Replace Engine Air Filter

I am also going to Install Extreme Contact DWS Tires and do an alignment

I got it cheap as it was repossessed and I had the evidence of $3K in needed repairs. I expect it to be a great driver after this work is done. Alcantera interior needs some work, but all electrical, audio, and mechanical work fine.

The dent doctor is next, with a serious interior and exterior detail.

I'll be posting pics when I get it back with the necessary drivability improvements!

I may need some help along the way! I appreciate the info you guys share!

Fred

See less See more
#103 · (Edited)
It's been about a month since the bumpers were painted, so I used this weekend to apply 3m film. #epicfail. Whatever the special technique is for sizing, applying and removing bubbles, I have not yet mastered it. Looks like I may need to call a guy who knows how to do it right. By the time I was done, I was glad I still had paint on my bumpers! ;-

One of the best features of this car is the low access. It is an easy hop in and out, compare to most SUV's for the dog. Very easy on the dogs limbs, which is important to me. It's a great K9cr8t. Hopefully new 3m film gets put on before scratches appear.

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2000 Venetian Red V70R
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#106 ·
Use the Lil cover that flips out from the spare tire well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was that an option? I don't think any of our P80s have anything like that. Where can I get one (or two)?

#108 ·
All XCs and Rs came with it.
Just a square piece of black vinyl that pulls out and lays over the bumper.
Now, if I ever could get my wife to use it !!!......

It's probably in there, look closely

#112 · (Edited)
Well not that you asked, but if the objective is to have protection from a dog, I think there are a lot better solutions available. I can sent you links if needed. Having tried most of them, those that flip out over the bumper are almost impossible to deploy, have a dog jump on, then retrieve. Let me know if you want me to look up links to the attached....

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#116 ·
Very nice... and I assume will only get better!

#118 ·
Very nice! Venetian is such a striking color, and great job with the restoration.

#119 ·
looks like a new car :thumbup:

#120 ·
A number of you have talked about approaches for putting in a subwoofer in a p80. I am about to put in a JL Audio system, and thought you would like to see the fit. At this time I still need to figure out how to anchor the box. I am thinking a simple bungee cord going from the rear anchor to forward anchor through an eyelet bolt in the subwoofer box. Not elegant, but should be functional. I also have to find a path for wiring the source, power and trigger from the head unit without to a JL Audio amp without breaking brittle plastic parts. The amp will likely go in the rear facing seat compartment.
Recommended routing path or comments welcome!

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#122 ·
I'm looked at that too. It would have required losing my spare, and a custom install in the wheel hole. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on that until I took this setup out of another car I am selling...
This prefab box is too big for that location so I may just live with it as shown. The one good aspect of this location is the sound should be good given the placement.

Let us know if you get that figured out!

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#123 ·
Got the JL Audio upgrade installed today. Wow. What a difference a good sub makes! So now my audio chain includes lossless digital though 2016 DSP through original amps and Dynaudio speakers with 250 watt mono sub amp and 12 inch JL Audio sub. Shout out to Santa Fe Audio for a great, tight install.

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#124 ·
Wait......you've got Dynaudio in this car??!!

#125 · (Edited)
That is what the PO told me. I'm not sure what the OE speaker spec is for the 2000 R premium Dolby surround with a SC 9XX. I have never seen the door panels removed, so I haven't really verified this. So do you think I may have something different?

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#129 ·
Mine were allegedly the last new set in the USA for sale from Volvo.
I paid about $800 for them, worth every penny.
Take a door panel off, you can easily tell
I also Dynamatted the entire R, it was more Lexus like than Volvo

#130 ·
2000 V70R has a 2.3L high pressure turbo (16T) right? Then why does the VIDA printout for my car as well as the engine sticker identify it as a 2.4 liter? All sales material indicates it is a 2.3L engine. Can anyone explain this?

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#131 ·
You have a 2.4l HPT engine. 19t, green injectors, improved head. Its a 83 mm bore (T5 are always 81) but the pistons are carved out a little to give it less compression than the GLT/XC blocks used in the low pressure turbo cars. One off, used only on the 00 R.

#135 ·
Upon turning off my V70R, I get a howling noise after the engine shuts down, as if the AC is shutting down, but with some difficulty. In addition, on a 1K mile trip I just took, the AC would intermittently blow warm, as if the thermostat was not calling for cold air. Normally though, it blows cold fine. Any thoughts on where to begin to look at resolving this?

2000 Venetian Red V70R

#136 ·
The intermittent AC problem might be the clutch not re-engaging properly. When these get out of spec, they will do that when hot. If that's you're issue, look up the "bread clip" or "zip tie" mod.

#138 ·
Also intermittently blowing warm could be as simple as the AC needing a recharge. That's what mine did recently, wasn't the clutch (I already did the bread-clip mod like a decade ago)

Also the whistling noise on shut-off with the AC on is normal....or at least I figure it is, mine's done that for the better part of a decade