Nov 2016 - Doing full Software Updates - Update to the Updates. LOL
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 28 of 28
    1. #1
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210

      Nov 2016 - Doing full Software Updates - Update to the Updates. LOL

      Because our other thread has gone on forever, I thought I'd start fresh for something more recent since the old May Update thread is pretty long now and it's hard to sift through all of that.


      Our XC90 has a build date of 1/2016 - i've been holding off on the update mostly because we just haven't had time to get the car in (aka I haven't had time to bring it in LOL) -but we're at 9170 Miles and both family haulers are doing long trips in a week so I figured that was my motivation to go get the car looked at.


      Dropped off our car - it was immediately flagged for the seatbelt and sunroof recall (which is NOT a tub seal install). It was NOT flagged for the drain tube.


      I've brought it in for:
      - Squeaky Brakes (they didn't even bat an eye and said there were new pads, and there was a 30% chance that rear rotors would be swapped out too)
      - B&W Rattle - will see how they actually fix that
      - Front Left Tire constantly loses air (but slow leak, like 10 psi over a week)
      - Total Software Upgrade - aka May 2016 update + w/e subsequent updates were added
      - 10,000 mile service.


      I have the Protection Plus Plan, so will see if that ACTUALLY covers the leaky Tire, I also have the FSM/VIP aka Safe&Secure. Will see if/what they charge me for the 10,000 mile service.


      While I did not buy my XC90 at Don Beyer Dulles, they are actually closer, and provided me with a XC70 loaner anyway.



      On a totally separate note, I LOVE the XC70...it drives so well even with a T5 and it just feels so....solid? Too bad it's discontinued. Will have to see how the V90 stacks up.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      23
      How did you like the service center at Don Beyer? I didn't buy my car from there either, but I am contemplating on heading there for my servicing needs. It's not the closest one to me, but I have reservations about the closest location based on recent experiences.


      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      Because our other thread has gone on forever, I thought I'd start fresh for something more recent since the old May Update thread is pretty long now and it's hard to sift through all of that.


      Our XC90 has a build date of 1/2016 - i've been holding off on the update mostly because we just haven't had time to get the car in (aka I haven't had time to bring it in LOL) -but we're at 9170 Miles and both family haulers are doing long trips in a week so I figured that was my motivation to go get the car looked at.


      Dropped off our car - it was immediately flagged for the seatbelt and sunroof recall (which is NOT a tub seal install). It was NOT flagged for the drain tube.


      I've brought it in for:
      - Squeaky Brakes (they didn't even bat an eye and said there were new pads, and there was a 30% chance that rear rotors would be swapped out too)
      - B&W Rattle - will see how they actually fix that
      - Front Left Tire constantly loses air (but slow leak, like 10 psi over a week)
      - Total Software Upgrade - aka May 2016 update + w/e subsequent updates were added
      - 10,000 mile service.


      I have the Protection Plus Plan, so will see if that ACTUALLY covers the leaky Tire, I also have the FSM/VIP aka Safe&Secure. Will see if/what they charge me for the 10,000 mile service.


      While I did not buy my XC90 at Don Beyer Dulles, they are actually closer, and provided me with a XC70 loaner anyway.



      On a totally separate note, I LOVE the XC70...it drives so well even with a T5 and it just feels so....solid? Too bad it's discontinued. Will have to see how the V90 stacks up.
      2017 Volvo XC90 Momentum+, Osmium/Blond, Vision, Convenience, 20" wheels

    4. #3
      Junior Member gmoney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      MD, USA
      Posts
      302
      Thanks for posting this. Keep us updated on the updates. Also would be good if you can itemize what word was done and post any Technical Journal numbers if possible. Good Luck!
      V I L M A
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ [4/16 Build - Delivered Sep 2016]
      Onyx Black & Amber
      Polestar✦ | 20"s | Convenience | Vision | Climate w/ HUD | Bowers&Wilkins | Towing Pkg | Booster | Protection Plus | Apple CarPlay | Pilot Assist 2 | IntelliSafe Support Upgrade

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Quote Originally Posted by happeeekid View Post
      How did you like the service center at Don Beyer? I didn't buy my car from there either, but I am contemplating on heading there for my servicing needs. It's not the closest one to me, but I have reservations about the closest location based on recent experiences.
      I'm working with Greg Jackson as my Service Consultant. He is awesome, knows about Volvos and was very transparent about what issues had gone down and what they are doing about fixing it. I don't know what service is like at the other Don Beyer Locations but in general, I can say they are a very reputable dealership. The only reason I did not buy from them is because they didn't reach the price point I was looking for and Herb Gordon did.

      Which location / dealer were you referencing?

      Quote Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
      Thanks for posting this. Keep us updated on the updates. Also would be good if you can itemize what word was done and post any Technical Journal numbers if possible. Good Luck!
      100% - that was the whole point of starting the thread, so we can keep up to date and log. I started this thread because I was looking for specific TJ numbers and it took forever. I'll post a screen shot if I can of each item when I hear back from them.

      @Gmoney - we're almost XC90 twins sans Towing Pkg
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      I'm working with Greg Jackson as my Service Consultant. He is awesome, knows about Volvos and was very transparent about what issues had gone down and what they are doing about fixing it. I don't know what service is like at the other Don Beyer Locations but in general, I can say they are a very reputable dealership. The only reason I did not buy from them is because they didn't reach the price point I was looking for and Herb Gordon did.

      Which location / dealer were you referencing?
      I purchased mine from Fairfax (I'm close to 2000 miles on my XC90). I didn't do a whole lot of shopping and haven't heard of Herb Gordon until now, but Fairfax got close enough in price to what I wanted so I went forward. However, during the purchasing process (my salesman was pretty awesome), there was a LOT of disconnect between the sales floor, the finance office, and the service department. The sales floor said they couldn't do some things, which were contradicted by the finance office and they were able to handle them (a couple of other things were set straight by the finance office as well, following inaccurate information from sales). Then, there was something that seemed like an issue with the car that the sales floor was positive was from the factory (paint related). They scheduled a repaint with service dept., then one day my original salesman was able to resolve the issue on his own (after I had to ask for alternate methods of repair). A week later, service called me to say the parts for my car were in and asked when I wanted to schedule the repair. I told them it was resolved and asked if the sales folks ever updated service (which they didn't).

      Now I know this is not very reflective of the service department itself, but it was enough for me to be weary of additional dealings with that dealership...At least for anything serious or complex. I can be flexible with things like price and so forth, but when it comes to customer service and care, I am not forgiving at all.

      On that note, I also have VIP and FSM w/ wear and tear to 40K so I'm curious to see how well that works!
      2017 Volvo XC90 Momentum+, Osmium/Blond, Vision, Convenience, 20" wheels

    8. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Quote Originally Posted by happeeekid View Post
      How did you like the service center at Don Beyer? I didn't buy my car from there either, but I am contemplating on heading there for my servicing needs. It's not the closest one to me, but I have reservations about the closest location based on recent experiences.
      Quote Originally Posted by happeeekid View Post
      I purchased mine from Fairfax (I'm close to 2000 miles on my XC90). I didn't do a whole lot of shopping and haven't heard of Herb Gordon until now, but Fairfax got close enough in price to what I wanted so I went forward. However, during the purchasing process (my salesman was pretty awesome), there was a LOT of disconnect between the sales floor, the finance office, and the service department. The sales floor said they couldn't do some things, which were contradicted by the finance office and they were able to handle them (a couple of other things were set straight by the finance office as well, following inaccurate information from sales). Then, there was something that seemed like an issue with the car that the sales floor was positive was from the factory (paint related). They scheduled a repaint with service dept., then one day my original salesman was able to resolve the issue on his own (after I had to ask for alternate methods of repair). A week later, service called me to say the parts for my car were in and asked when I wanted to schedule the repair. I told them it was resolved and asked if the sales folks ever updated service (which they didn't).

      Now I know this is not very reflective of the service department itself, but it was enough for me to be weary of additional dealings with that dealership...At least for anything serious or complex. I can be flexible with things like price and so forth, but when it comes to customer service and care, I am not forgiving at all.

      On that note, I also have VIP and FSM w/ wear and tear to 40K so I'm curious to see how well that works!
      We walked into Fairfax Volvo and walked right out. Not only was there no service, but not one person uttered an actual fact about the XC90...as if they didn't go get training. Also, i was indirectly asked if I would be able to afford the XC90....

      There's a Falls Church Don Beyer Volvo (although i do not know what service is like there.)

      Don Beyer Dulles even serviced my Heico Modified XC60RD with zero problems when I first moved here.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    9. #7
      Junior Member IC0N0CLAST's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Location
      In, Out, & Around...
      Posts
      962
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      Not only was there no service, but not one person uttered an actual fact about the XC90...as if they didn't go get training. Also, i was indirectly asked if I would be able to afford the XC90....
      that is insane... how does a business operate in that fashion?

    10. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Quote Originally Posted by IC0N0CLAST View Post
      that is insane... how does a business operate in that fashion?
      Luckily, at this point in life i've learned to not dwell on it, and i don't have to since i didn't buy from them anyway. (on the flip side Audi of Tysons Corner, Driton treated me like i was 70 and established - and scored a S7 sale)




      Update*** So they originally thought they could get everything done today (lol i didn't think so); anyway the SA sheepishly said it'll probably take till tomorrow afternoon. Will update accordingly.


      When I asked him about the Warranty FSM and PPP, his first answer was that 3rd party warranties they have no access to, and I'd have to take it up with wherever i bought the car (for those wondering about 3rd party programs). He did recall when he pulled my car up that the Warranty section of my VIN had a ton of stuff, so he assumes thats all the FSM/VIPP info.

      Again, will update accordingly and see how things go tomorrow.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      Luckily, at this point in life i've learned to not dwell on it, and i don't have to since i didn't buy from them anyway. (on the flip side Audi of Tysons Corner, Driton treated me like i was 70 and established - and scored a S7 sale)
      I also looked at the Q7 but went to Audi of Chantilly...I got decent service when I walked in, but the salesman was busy closing a sale so he just handed me the keys to a Prestige and sent me on a test drive without any Audi staff - something I was 200% OK with. I was pretty interested and wanted to see what they could do with pricing, but he kept filling my head with a spiel about supply/demand and some sort of Q7 shortage (this was in August)...After 15 minutes I politely told him I wasn't quite ready but we would be in touch. Obviously I didn't end up going that way, but this reminds me that I should shoot him an E-mail to say thanks but no thanks.

      As far as Fairfax Volvo is concerned, I first walked in around June or something...I did get service pretty quickly, and went on a quick test drive with the salesman I ended up buying from. I told him upfront that I was't buying today, I just wanted to drive the XC90 to make sure I didn't hate the feel. He was patient, took down my info and vehicle preference, and spent quite a bit of time at the test drive and showing off the tech. A couple of months later when I was ready to purchase, I reached out to him and again he was helpful in meeting me for a second test drive. I had done some shopping and knew what I wanted to pay, and he certainly tried to work with me - however we were fed a lot of BS from the rest of the sales floor which is when my disdain started to appear. By the end of my deal, I was feeling less inclined to give the dealership my business, but I did want to give the salesman my business...So we sucked it up, got close the deal we wanted, and bought the car. In retrospect, there has to be something going on with that cluster of Fairfax dealerships...Many years ago, I was looking for a used MDX and went to Fairfax Honda to check it out...I tried to go on a test drive and the guy just gave me the key and sent me to check it out. I came back, sat down to negotiate and he flat out declined any types of negotiations - a very similar experience to you since he may have felt like I couldn't afford it (if I couldn't, why would I be there). I guess I should learn from my past experiences!

      Ultimately everything else would've been fine with Fairfax, but that whole debacle with my car's false issue really left a sour taste in my mouth, an experience again very similar to what you encountered when you stepped in. I don't want to discriminate against their service department, but I just don't want to deal with overall lack of care, and transparency especially. That was the main reason as to why I responded to your post earlier today, since my plan was to service my vehicle at DB Dulles whenever required anyway. It's not the closest, but I have no issue with going in that direction (away fro traffic) to get great service!!
      2017 Volvo XC90 Momentum+, Osmium/Blond, Vision, Convenience, 20" wheels

    12. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Quote Originally Posted by happeeekid View Post
      How did you like the service center at Don Beyer? I didn't buy my car from there either, but I am contemplating on heading there for my servicing needs. It's not the closest one to me, but I have reservations about the closest location based on recent experiences.
      Quote Originally Posted by happeeekid View Post
      I also looked at the Q7 but went to Audi of Chantilly...I got decent service when I walked in, but the salesman was busy closing a sale so he just handed me the keys to a Prestige and sent me on a test drive without any Audi staff - something I was 200% OK with. I was pretty interested and wanted to see what they could do with pricing, but he kept filling my head with a spiel about supply/demand and some sort of Q7 shortage (this was in August)...After 15 minutes I politely told him I wasn't quite ready but we would be in touch. Obviously I didn't end up going that way, but this reminds me that I should shoot him an E-mail to say thanks but no thanks.

      As far as Fairfax Volvo is concerned, I first walked in around June or something...I did get service pretty quickly, and went on a quick test drive with the salesman I ended up buying from. I told him upfront that I was't buying today, I just wanted to drive the XC90 to make sure I didn't hate the feel. He was patient, took down my info and vehicle preference, and spent quite a bit of time at the test drive and showing off the tech. A couple of months later when I was ready to purchase, I reached out to him and again he was helpful in meeting me for a second test drive. I had done some shopping and knew what I wanted to pay, and he certainly tried to work with me - however we were fed a lot of BS from the rest of the sales floor which is when my disdain started to appear. By the end of my deal, I was feeling less inclined to give the dealership my business, but I did want to give the salesman my business...So we sucked it up, got close the deal we wanted, and bought the car. In retrospect, there has to be something going on with that cluster of Fairfax dealerships...Many years ago, I was looking for a used MDX and went to Fairfax Honda to check it out...I tried to go on a test drive and the guy just gave me the key and sent me to check it out. I came back, sat down to negotiate and he flat out declined any types of negotiations - a very similar experience to you since he may have felt like I couldn't afford it (if I couldn't, why would I be there). I guess I should learn from my past experiences!

      Ultimately everything else would've been fine with Fairfax, but that whole debacle with my car's false issue really left a sour taste in my mouth, an experience again very similar to what you encountered when you stepped in. I don't want to discriminate against their service department, but I just don't want to deal with overall lack of care, and transparency especially. That was the main reason as to why I responded to your post earlier today, since my plan was to service my vehicle at DB Dulles whenever required anyway. It's not the closest, but I have no issue with going in that direction (away fro traffic) to get great service!!

      1. There was an actual shortage of Q7s so they were just fulfilling customer orders. I also looked at the Q7, but the 3.0TFSI was not interesting to me at all, although the 4 wheel steering is really nice and the air suspension is way better than the XC90. I wasn't impressed with the Virtual Cockpit, nor did my wife or I like the seating position. (this is how we ended up going with an XC90 and GLS550).


      2. Your experience at Fairfax Volvo sounds pretty on point. In general, I think they are all nice people, but the BS-ing is turned waaaaaay too high. We were turned off when we saw the service people hanging out with the dealership nextdoor (honda?) - and not that I demand white glove service, but we were flat out ignored for about 20 minutes and then they handed us keys to the cheapest XC90 on the lot, on top of making a comment that getting the B&W and 4C was a bit pricey and they weren't sure if that was within the range I was looking for - and that buying one without would be more palatable.


      I believe alot of dealerships here work off a truecar model so there is no negotiations per se, as much as a firm "this is the deal" scenario. BMW sterling also had this reputation. This is why we bought our GLS from Rallye Mercedes in Long Island instead.



      3. On a completely unrelated note, the XC70 is so solid...i'm starting to think because of it's hydraulic steering and antiquated frame. But it just feels so "substantial"..... the XC90 might even have a better crash rating / higher rating, but it feels like it would crumple if it hit an XC70 lol....
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    13. #11
      Junior Member chmax's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      362
      btw I've got the car in for tire change and the technician told me that there is a new total update that was issued around sep. So the "may update" seem to be superseded. I haven't got any info on what's inside. I cannot see any behavioural change sofar.
      current: July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with polestar tuning, past: MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      1. There was an actual shortage of Q7s so they were just fulfilling customer orders. I also looked at the Q7, but the 3.0TFSI was not interesting to me at all, although the 4 wheel steering is really nice and the air suspension is way better than the XC90. I wasn't impressed with the Virtual Cockpit, nor did my wife or I like the seating position. (this is how we ended up going with an XC90 and GLS550).

      3. On a completely unrelated note, the XC70 is so solid...i'm starting to think because of it's hydraulic steering and antiquated frame. But it just feels so "substantial"..... the XC90 might even have a better crash rating / higher rating, but it feels like it would crumple if it hit an XC70 lol....
      1. I liked the virtual cockpit, but no more than Sensus...I thought the Google Earth was pretty cool though, but didn't like the pop-out GPS screen (another moving component that can get stuck) although it does have that WOW factor when you start the car. Also, given my posture when I drive (right hand on the shifter), I did like that all the MMI controls were on the center console...It worked for me. The 4 wheel steering was pretty impressive too, I agree. My gf and I did find the Volvo to be quite more comfortable than the Q7 (at least to us) and preferred the way the interior space was distributed in the Volvo vs the Audi.

      3. I can't wait to get a loaner...I love my car, but being new to Volvo I'm curious to drive other models now. After a couple of months in my XC90, I have to say that "I get it" when it comes to Volvos.
      2017 Volvo XC90 Momentum+, Osmium/Blond, Vision, Convenience, 20" wheels

    15. #13
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Update***** 11/4 3PM EST -

      Spoke with my SA - and it turns out they not only need to replace the front pads, but they are replacing the rear rotors and pads as well. So car won't be ready till Monday.

      My tire pressure issue was due to a nail from the inside sidewall.



      ON a separate note, he mentioned that the Personal Protection Plan was not associated with my Volvo account. Which is very strange as I explicitly spent an ungodly amount of time making sure that I wanted that and not a third party program.

      Even stranger was that my SA didn't seem to think Volvo offered a direct from Volvo warranty on dents,Windshield, and fobs.


      When I get home i'll be scanning my vehicle purchase copy because I remember them literally writing FSM/VIP and the PPP (Protection Plus Plan) on my invoice. Other than that, everything else seems to be pretty straight forward, and I get to drive the XC70 for a few more days.


      Curious to see how this plays out though, am a bit annoyed/concerned since I felt like I spent a lot of time making sure to detail that I wanted plans from Volvo and not 3rd party.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    16. #14
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Update 11/05: 9:30AM

      Well, even though I was getting a bit leery of what Herb Gordon had or hadn't done. I think it was just a large misunderstanding at the time of my sale. I guess they were not even set up for the Road Hazard plan by Volvo, which I am not sure how that is possible, maybe @Yannis can shed some light. But either way it's done through Fidelity. We shall see how that goes down overall.

      A little disappointed, but at this point unless I want to really push the envelope I'm not sure if there is any point in expounding this any further.
      Last edited by eyeloveteeth; 11-05-2016 at 09:48 AM.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    17. #15
      Guest
      Join Date
      Nov 2014
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      4,289
      For these plans you can ask them to cancel current one and switch to Volvo plans. They should cover any cost if needed.

      Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

    18. #16
      Junior Member Kighter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Norcross, GA
      Posts
      458
      Absolutely.

      And if they can't or won't - get a refund in full and call Steingold. They'll hook you up. No excuse for this. Finance department is inept or lying.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

    19. #17
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Update 11/7: 7PM.


      Picked up the car - I know the fidelty car warranty is actually more comprehensive than Volvo's so I'm ok with it. Not gonna bark up that tree much more.


      Initial reactions - of course had no idea how to set up profiles, and tried fiddling with it when I got in the car, no luck. Finally figured it out when I pulled in.



      The Invoice is a bit vague and not quite what I'm used to seeing (like from Audi for example)...


      Updates:
      31483282-4: TOT UPGRADE XC9 (I assume this is Total Upgrade XC90) - no idea what it entails
      31456619-1: TEM VOC UPGRADE
      31429616-1: SUM UPGRADE
      31433512-6: HUD UPGRADE
      SOFTWARE UPDATE COMPLETE
      36002 .1 X4


      beyond that was just the 10,000 mile service.



      Thoughts - for those reading keep in mind I never did May update so alot has changed /shifted all at once, so will keep it in bullet points.



      * The first thing I noticed was the sound mix from the B&W was different. It's more, dead, not as full. Bass is definitely weaker
      * Apple Carplay was WAY smoother - and faster loading and more consistent.
      * I dont know if there were Polestar Optimizations but the car DOES feel tighter
      * Lane Keep Assist seems to be on more (doesn't get lost as much)
      * HVAC controls seem different -
      * Sensus is DEFINITELY more responsive
      * Touching/Interacting with Sensus has beeps (i'm sure it can be turned off, need to go through the options)
      * Did I mention Sensus is way smoother/perkier?


      Unfortunately it was about a 15min drive home and in the dark, not as many observations to be made from that standpoint. I will continue to update this thread as I or my wife drives.


      On the flip side, I typically ask dealerships to not wash the car, but forgot to do so this time around. I don't know if the outside has swirls or not but most of that can be polished out with a DA. But I have to say, Don Beyer did a phenomenal job on the inside - smells and touched like when we first picked up the car and no greasey areas etc etc.



      On a different note, very confused by driver profiles, will have to re-read/backtrack on existing threads. Also our Sim car was default deactivated and it took VOC all 15min of driving home and about 10 min in the garage to resync.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Posts
      287
      Thanks for the update. I'm taking mine in for the 10,000 mile service on Friday. Like you, I haven't had the May update. I took U.S. delivery on 5-3-16, narrowly escaping the sunroof recall (or whatever that debacle was) that left so many other XC90s stranded at port. Looking forward to the profiles and other enhancements.
      Last edited by XC90TODD; 11-07-2016 at 09:47 PM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription (OSD March 2016) Electric Silver/Charcoal, Matte Tech Black 234 Wheels, Convenience, Vision, Polestar, Intellisafe Upgrade (PA2)
      2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
      1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition 32/50

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      925
      Are we still expecting a Sensus update this month?

    22. #20
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      wanted to know if:
      SOFTWARE UPDATE COMPLETE
      36002 .1 X4



      Is the same one ppl have been getting since May?
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    23. #21
      Junior Member gmoney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      MD, USA
      Posts
      302
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      @Gmoney - we're almost XC90 twins sans Towing Pkg
      Awesome! I make it out to NoVA every so often. Maybe our paths will cross.
      V I L M A
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ [4/16 Build - Delivered Sep 2016]
      Onyx Black & Amber
      Polestar✦ | 20"s | Convenience | Vision | Climate w/ HUD | Bowers&Wilkins | Towing Pkg | Booster | Protection Plus | Apple CarPlay | Pilot Assist 2 | IntelliSafe Support Upgrade

    24. #22
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      drove into DC with the wife today. Additional comments.

      Figured out Driver Profiles - tailored to fit specific keys (as that's what we do with every other car).


      Went through and realized a TON of options were not checked correctly.... (or not checked the way we originally picked up the car). Checked everything, and then left and came back to find out nothing was saved.....not sure if there is a save button we have to hit before finishing?


      After setting up the profiles, every time wife gets in the car, the driver side defaults to 72 degrees now....not sure how to change that.



      Sensus froze on us when we immediately plugged in carplay. When we put the car in reverse the cameras came on, but screen was unresponsive. Put it back in D, and was able to exit. Clearly still some bugs, but overall we still believe Sensus is "better".


      The new brakes and rotors that they put in are way stronger.

      We noticed a weird squeak coming out of the right side that wasn't there before (sounds almost like suspension or something.


      Now that the car is in daylight....good god, there are a TON of microscratches everywhere. It's like the guy cleaning up the car had one microfiber towel to use for the entire car or something. Will have to spend some time to buff/polish it out, but it's fine, needed to respray the mudguards anyway, so next "detail day" will be for the XC90.


      We BOTH felt like the air suspension travel was more aggressive, or went up and down more.


      STILL very bummed about the B&W sound modification. It is definitely more tinny sounding and not as full sounding at all.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      559
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      drove into DC with the wife today. Additional comments.

      Figured out Driver Profiles - tailored to fit specific keys (as that's what we do with every other car).


      Went through and realized a TON of options were not checked correctly.... (or not checked the way we originally picked up the car). Checked everything, and then left and came back to find out nothing was saved.....not sure if there is a save button we have to hit before finishing?


      After setting up the profiles, every time wife gets in the car, the driver side defaults to 72 degrees now....not sure how to change that.



      Sensus froze on us when we immediately plugged in carplay. When we put the car in reverse the cameras came on, but screen was unresponsive. Put it back in D, and was able to exit. Clearly still some bugs, but overall we still believe Sensus is "better".


      The new brakes and rotors that they put in are way stronger.

      We noticed a weird squeak coming out of the right side that wasn't there before (sounds almost like suspension or something.


      Now that the car is in daylight....good god, there are a TON of microscratches everywhere. It's like the guy cleaning up the car had one microfiber towel to use for the entire car or something. Will have to spend some time to buff/polish it out, but it's fine, needed to respray the mudguards anyway, so next "detail day" will be for the XC90.


      We BOTH felt like the air suspension travel was more aggressive, or went up and down more.


      STILL very bummed about the B&W sound modification. It is definitely more tinny sounding and not as full sounding at all.
      Thank you for the detailed update. I'm like you in that I picked up my car in March and haven't updated the software (or been back to a dealership at all) since. I'm a bit afraid to get the May update because if it ain't broke...

      The part that worries me is the B&W part. Have any others experienced the deadening of the B&W performance after the May update? (And it's not something simple like it notches down your Subwoofer output to the lowest levels or drops the equalizer settings to a setting that depresses your bass output?)

    26. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellMcGee View Post
      Thank you for the detailed update. I'm like you in that I picked up my car in March and haven't updated the software (or been back to a dealership at all) since. I'm a bit afraid to get the May update because if it ain't broke...

      The part that worries me is the B&W part. Have any others experienced the deadening of the B&W performance after the May update? (And it's not something simple like it notches down your Subwoofer output to the lowest levels or drops the equalizer settings to a setting that depresses your bass output?)
      Not to toot my own horn, but I am quite musically inclined and have really good ears. This is not as simple as oh, the mix was defaulted back to zero or what not. The sound map for the interior of the car has completely changed. I remember the exact EQ we used before the update, and we use the same media device (in this case Carplay, with the same songs, on the same iPhone)


      For the lack of proper engineering terms, BEFORE the update, the bass and treble sound "map" was almost more front centric, so the Wave mix was more balanced and the curve was more like an upside down U vs a V??

      After the update, even after adjusting the EQ (and leaving the position, dead center like it used to be) - the "map" is definitely more centered to the middle of the car and the highs and lows seem muted.


      I am NOT saying we cannot achieve the old sound back, as I have not tried everything, I am simply saying leaving everything the way it was before the update, it is definitely different.


      but leaving everything the way it was definitely produced a more tinnier sound, it's not "softer" it's like they dropped the max Gain for certain frequencies, and the lows are definitely not as full.

      I did notice the tweeters seemed clearer though - but that could be why things sound tinnier.




      Will be attempting to save more settings when we get back in the car - i'm sure once things are dialed in things will be great.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    27. #25
      Member reeg2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Fort Worth, TX
      Posts
      1,720
      Can't remember after which update, but it reset quite a number of audio settings. Had to re-do the EQ but don't feel like I lost anything.

      However, there's a TJ regarding the B/W system losing power/oomph/bass. They've replaced amplifiers and control modules on a number of cars - might be worth checking out as you shouldn't have had any degradation in B/W sound quality.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

    28. #26
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      ok we just got back from DC and this is RIDICULOUS, I have no idea why settings aren't saving. We've stopped at about 6-7 different places with varying times.....and it's like a mish mosh of things that don't get saved.

      reverse mirror tilt settings, interior lighting settings, driving dynamic settings.....sounds settings for the car (like beeping when you lock)..... i have no idea what we've been doing wrong?
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    29. #27
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      1,210
      Update Nov 9 - 9AM:

      Well it seems like the LAST time we put everything in, finally saved. Will now do this with my key and see if it really saves to profile.


      The only thing we still can't seem to figure out is the temperature as every time we start the car it now starts at 72 and not what it was set to when we left.

      I am able to replicate a frozen screen if I immediately plug in my iphone upon start up.


      Also, now that I've driven the car myself more today, I think Polestar has changed a bit, OR the default engine mapping has changed which changed polestar's tune. The reason I say this is when we initially got P*, we noticed that the off the line pick up was more aggressive, but almost like the tune was designed to spool the S/C more and that the little turbo didn't need as much coaxing when things got moving and they decoupled the s/c.

      But now, the off the line seems to have been a bit more muted (still better than stock), but there is DEFINITELY turbo surge. Kind of fun, a bit unpredictable - but lol it's not the reason we got this car.


      I've also moved the EQ around, and have found a set up that mimics the old set up the most. I can honestly say there was no degradation in sound quality, but settings or parameters were definitely changed. I'll post later when i get a chance back in the car.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

    30. #28
      Junior Member Kighter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Norcross, GA
      Posts
      458
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      Update Nov 9 - 9AM:
      I've also moved the EQ around, and have found a set up that mimics the old set up the most. I can honestly say there was no degradation in sound quality, but settings or parameters were definitely changed. I'll post later when i get a chance back in the car.
      You mind sharing those? Always interested in other opinions on tuning the B&W.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

    31. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements