Opinions on dechroming the XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on dechroming the XC90

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum as a new member.

I've owned my Inscription for a week and whilst I love the car I'm really not keen on all the chrome around the windows, doors etc.

On previous cars (Jag and Range Rover) ive opted for the black pack option however as this is not an option on the XC90 I'm planning to have the chrome 'wrapped' shortly to produce that black pack look.

I'm curious whether anyone else has already done this, if so, I'd love to see the after pictures.

The dechroming is booked in for tomorrow, so I'm asking the question fairly late :-) I figure, if the look doesn't work it's an easy thing to back out of.

Many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's a very personal preference when it comes to looks but I don't like all the trim blacked out very much. There is a thread on here somewhere from quite some time ago with pics of an xc90 that got blacked out. I believe it was a Facebook post from a Canadian dealership who did it for a customer. They even did the rims and again, imo, it didn't look good on the vehicle.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My white XC90 just got the tint done, forgot how good a white car looks with dark tint. My SQ5 was black with the blacked out package (no chrome), really liked the look. I'd definitely be interested in blacking out the chrome on my XC90. My only issue would be the roof rails as wrapping it will scrape off over time due to the crossbars.

Can you post photos when you get it back? I'm thinking of doing this as well on my Rdesign which arrives in 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pics that I have found. I really like the look and will definately consider it once I take delivery of our Crystal White R-Design
      https://instagram.com/p/BJventKgrrV/
      https://instagram.com/p/BJnCVv6AGJc/
      2017 T6 R-Design[/B] - Crystal White - Polestar - Air Suspension - Convenience - Vision - B & W - 22" Wheels - Carbon Fiber Inlay

be sure to post up the pictures when it's done. I think its a great look!
      MY2017 XC90 T8 R Design * Bursting Blue * Carbon Fiber * Vision * Convenience * Booster

if you're gonna black out, make sure it ALL matches, don't wrap some trim and spray others.

If it's done right, it'll look AMAZING. If it's done poorly, it'll look SOOOO ghetto
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

Not my car, but this white one looks nice. It's not fully blacked out though...the roof rails were left chrome. https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...Q5Nw%3D%3D.2.l
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

The Inscription was a compulsory choice for me as I wanted many optionals which are available only on this trim level. But I agree there are too much plastic chrome looking parts, the only solution for me was to choose a silver color, the "aluminium looking" and "chrome looking" parts are much less visible compared to darker shades.
      MY 2017 XC90 D5 Inscription /Electric Silver/ charcoal/ Air suspension, B&W, Auxiliary fuel heater, 4 zone clim, leather dash and almost all options excluding homelink,carplay,laminated windows and some others that I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
      Not my car, but this white one looks nice. It's not fully blacked out though...the roof rails were left chrome. https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...Q5Nw%3D%3D.2.l
      Not sure painting the front lower lip and the roof to black is a good idea on white. Lost the aggressive profile of the original R-design.

Full dechrome (in beginning except roof rails) + shine black mirrors.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAhyhNvMPSm/
      Last edited by AndreyS; 11-08-2016 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona66 View Post
      Here are some pics that I have found. I really like the look and will definately consider it once I take delivery of our Crystal White R-Design
      https://instagram.com/p/BJventKgrrV/
      https://instagram.com/p/BJnCVv6AGJc/
      Wow looks very cool 😎!
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2020 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Prem & Prem Plus | B&W | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Polestar | Splash Guards | OEM Rubber Mats | Bumper Cover | Front Tint 23% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 Winter | Picked up June 4/2020 |
      2016 XC90 T8 Lease Return
      My Insta

Quote Originally Posted by XCHK90 View Post
      Not sure painting the front lower lip and the roof to black is a good idea on white. Lost the aggressive profile of the original R-design.
      Hopefully they just wrapped the roof not painted it lol
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2020 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Prem & Prem Plus | B&W | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Polestar | Splash Guards | OEM Rubber Mats | Bumper Cover | Front Tint 23% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 Winter | Picked up June 4/2020 |
      2016 XC90 T8 Lease Return
      My Insta

Thanks for all the responses and pics :-)

Its being done as we speak and taking ages as the guy is a perfectionist :-) I've gone matt black. The gloss black was tested but didn't look as good.

All of the chrome other than the grill will be done, that will probably have to a spray job.

I was questioning doing the rails, however after seeing the earlier pictures, they're definitely going black as well!

I'll post some pics when its all finished and clean.......my early view is its definitely a big improvement, especially on the lower door chrome strip which I've never been keen on.

Cheers

Eagerly awaiting pics!

(I assumed/hope that was a wrap on the white pic I linked to. Don't people usually wrap or plastidip instead of paint these days?)
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
      Eagerly awaiting pics!

(I assumed/hope that was a wrap on the white pic I linked to. Don't people usually wrap or plastidip instead of paint these days?)
      Friend Green Devil wrapped on black, mirrors painted, chrome wrapped. Amazing work.

Apologies for the delay, the dechroming work tool much longer than expected. Time to upload some pics........

However now realise I don't have an 'add image' icon........anyone know how I do this

Ok, worked it out.......here you go! The front grill will be changed for a black one, wrapping it was not an option.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Few more angles....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and finally full night time mode :-)

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice!!! Now all you need is black wheels and black lettering on the back and you'll be fully invisible.

I don't really like the chrome front grille (the M+ front end looks much better to my eyes), but on your otherwise blacked-out car I actually quite like the contrast with the grille and wheels.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

I'd like to do something similar to a bursting blue r design. Just the chrome bits, a flat or matte black. Leaving the alum look elsewhere. Anyone see something like that?

amazing job

thank you :-)

Interested to see this with an Osmium Gray Inscription.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Convenience, Vision, B&W, Air Susp, 22s
      2010 Volvo XC60 R-Design, Sapphire Black, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia
      2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, White Diamond Pearl (Sold)
      2004 Acura TSX, Satin Silver, 6MT, Nav (Sold)
      2006 Audi A3, Silver, Climate, Premium Pkg, Convenience, Nav, Bose, Open Sky (Sold)

2013 XC60>2015.5 XC60>2018 XC60, 2020 XC60.
      2016 XC90 Inscription>2018 XC90 R-Design Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
      Nice wrap job skill wise, but why did they title it "Volvo black out"? It's the absolute opposite or blacking it out LOL. A wrap color only very few will like.

I personally am not really keen on these modded cars. I think in the endeavors to de-chrome the look has swung too much the other way. But clearly tastes differ.

I didn't like all the bling bling chrome either which is why when it came for me to order my XC90 I went for a fully-loaded Momentum. Am I the only one thinking that saves me having to black-out all the chrome afterwards like the OP needs to? I mean, it even comes with the black grill.

Quote Originally Posted by LegGodt View Post
      I personally am not really keen on these modded cars. I think in the endeavors to de-chrome the look has swung too much the other way. But clearly tastes differ.

I didn't like all the bling bling chrome either which is why when it came for me to order my XC90 I went for a fully-loaded Momentum. Am I the only one thinking that saves me having to black-out all the chrome afterwards like the OP needs to? I mean, it even comes with the black grill.
      I agree with you, I personally like the black grill and a loaded Momentum is certainly a good solution to avoid "bling bling" chromes without having to "customize" the car. But at least on the market here there are some options you cannot have with the Momentum and you can have only with the Inscription. That's why I went to an Inscription in silver color were the chromes are less visible.
      MY 2017 XC90 D5 Inscription /Electric Silver/ charcoal/ Air suspension, B&W, Auxiliary fuel heater, 4 zone clim, leather dash and almost all options excluding homelink,carplay,laminated windows and some others that I don't remember.

I saw a blacked out model in a dealership and it was a very expensive option that looked terrible to me, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

I'm interested in blacking out my 2017 XC90 Momentum+ once it's delivered in January. Any recommendations on places in the Seattle area that would do a good job.

For those of you that have done it, have you had it "dipped" using the PlastiDip or some other method. I'd like to be sure that if it is done, that it will hold up.

Thanks.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD | Momentum Plus | Vision Package | Convenience Package | Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound | 20” 5-double Spoke Alloy Wheels | Onyx Black with Amber Leather | Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by hmss007 View Post
      I'm interested in blacking out my 2017 XC90 Momentum+ once it's delivered in January. Any recommendations on places in the Seattle area that would do a good job.

For those of you that have done it, have you had it "dipped" using the PlastiDip or some other method. I'd like to be sure that if it is done, that it will hold up.

Thanks.
      me too ...
      i hope CT_Purely
      can tell us more about the technique

There are multiple options

1) remove and respray
      2) remove and plastidip
      3) vinyl wrap

I opted for the vinyl wrap option for a number of reasons. Firstly it's easily reversible should I tire of the look or find it hurts the final resale value. It's also significantly faster and somewhat cheaper.

The grill will be replaced for the momentum version as wrapping it will be too time consuming and expensive.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast