No android auto for 2016 XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

It was confirmed today by Volvo USA that 2016 models will not be getting android auto. This was a feature promised to all of us when we purchased our cars and I welcome you to contact Volvo and let them know we are owed this feature. Volvo USA online support is always very quick to respond. Class action??

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/chat/V...quest_source/7

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Paradox; 11-21-2016 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Corrected an important typo - now to not as in 2016 will NOT be getting android auto

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dacasta View Post
      It was confirmed today by Volvo USA that 2016 models will now be getting android auto. This was a feature promised to all of us when we purchased our cars and I welcome you to contact Volvo and let them know we are owed this feature. Volvo USA online support is always very quick to respond. Class action??

Im lost, what changed from the weekend?

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us, Unfortunately you have heard correctly, at this point in time Android Auto will only be available for model year 17 vehicles and newer." (Direct quote from Volvo USA)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Typo... Should read will not be getting, not now.

2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

You can edit your post, and glad the title is correct (and not changeable

Quote Originally Posted by GTSquared View Post
      Typo... Should read will not be getting, not now.

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      You can edit your post, and glad the title is correct (and not changeable

I went ahead and fixed it for the OP as it was a pretty important typo to fix IMO.
      Currently Own:

2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription — Replaced my 2016 XC90 First Edition

2018 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum — Replaced my 2017 Audi Q7

I couldn't be more let down. I have been waiting for a year now (since I bought my MY16 XC90).

I live in South America. Apple Maps and Inrix do not offer live traffic here. Only Google Maps and Waze do this...

When I bought the car, I was told by the dealer that AA would be available soon enough. I believed them, considering you could search the web and find articles such as this:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ration-of-cars

This is an article that I read from 2014, which confirmed AA would be available to its next generation of cars. As far as I understand, the MY16 XC90 I bought was a "next generation Volvo" by 2014 standards.

I truly hope that Volvo finds a work around because I desperately need Android Auto. Traffic here is horrendous and Google Maps is the difference between seeing your kids awake or not by the time you get home.

If Volvo says trade-in for a 2017, I'll take it.
      If Volvo says retrofit 2 USB ports to make AA work, I'll take it too.

I just want AA...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious to hear about what kind of accommodation VCNA is going to make given this was an advertised feature in the marketing material.

Quote Originally Posted by hajossy View Post
      I couldn't be more let down. I have been waiting for a year now (since I bought my MY16 XC90).

I live in South America. Apple Maps and Inrix do not offer live traffic here. Only Google Maps and Waze do this...

When I bought the car, I was told by the dealer that AA would be available soon enough. I believed them, considering you could search the web and find articles such as this:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ration-of-cars

This is an article that I read from 2014, which confirmed AA would be available to its next generation of cars. As far as I understand, the MY16 XC90 I bought was a "next generation Volvo" by 2014 standards.

I truly hope that Volvo finds a work around because I desperately need Android Auto. Traffic here is horrendous and Google Maps is the difference between seeing your kids awake or not by the time you get home.

If Volvo says trade-in for a 2017, I'll take it.
      If Volvo says retrofit 2 USB ports to make AA work, I'll take it too.

I just want AA...

Just curious why two USB ports are needed for Android auto and what two devices would need to be plugged in? In any case, couldn't a regular computer USB hub device be plugged in to effectively turn one USB port into multiple (3, 4, or whatever the HUB had for ports). Seems like a strange reason to claim not being able to support Android auto and one that would likely have a workaround.

2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Just curious why two USB ports are needed for Android auto and what two devices would need to be plugged in? In any case, couldn't a regular computer USB hub device be plugged in to effectively turn one USB port into multiple (3, 4, or whatever the HUB had for ports). Seems like a strange reason to claim not being able to support Android auto and one that would likely have a workaround.
      My guess is is has nothing to do with a USB hub or two ports at all but some other underlying technology that is part of that assembly. Using the single port vs dual port is an easy way to inform people of which ones work.

Separately, those who feel stuck out in the cold should look at the recently released Android Auto app. As I understand it you get all of the same features; it just runs on your phone screen. Get a magnetic vent mount and you've got a work around.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      My guess is is has nothing to do with a USB hub or two ports at all but some other underlying technology that is part of that assembly. Using the single port vs dual port is an easy way to inform people of which ones work.

Separately, those who feel stuck out in the cold should look at the recently released Android Auto app. As I understand it you get all of the same features; it just runs on your phone screen. Get a magnetic vent mount and you've got a work around.
      This was an important feature to a good deal of people. I know as silly as it sounds, I made my car buying decision based on apple car play and android auto integration. For instance, I somewhat ruled out the Q7 because it wasn't touch and wouldn't work as well for these integrations.... I further ruled out many other much more reliable cars because they didn't offer the integrations at all. Again silly, but far dumber things have happened (people buying on color or looks). So now that I potentially have no option of getting AA, which I need and which was promised as a feature... what recourse is there?

The way i see it, this was an advertised feature by both volvo and the dealers. If Volvo does not fix this issue this could easily become a class action lawsuit. Any attorneys here??

I remember CarPlay being advertised, but not Android Auto when I bought my XC90. Can anyone point to where Android Auto was shown in marketing materials?
      Just can't remember seeing it, other than some mentions here.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Mine came with a little brochure that said it. I don't have my car now but will take a picture when I get it back, not to mention the dealer saying it as well

thanks. i must have the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      I remember CarPlay being advertised, but not Android Auto when I bought my XC90. Can anyone point to where Android Auto was shown in marketing materials?
      Android Auto was specifically touted in multiple press releases by Volvo and Andriod Auto. In addition, Volvo touted this feature to multiple car reviewers, Volvo dealers and members of the press. If Android Auto was indeed not going to be available, Volvo made no attempt to correct this misperception over the past two years. A couple of examples; one from Volvo dealer website. I do not blame any of the dealers that sold this as a feature because they were misled to believe that it would be available. See: http://www.stadelvolvo.com/2016-volv...fotainment.htm

Also, attached is a video of Jim Nichols, Product & Technology Communications Manager at Volvo Cars of North America touting the Sensus system and Android Auto in a 2016 XC90 - watch 10:30-10:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GLuRpQ8004&t=664s

See a few posts above yours.

Also, this seems incredibly disingenuous to me:
      Volvo Cars' portrait touch screen provides users with the benefit of having both Volvo Cars and Android Auto content on the screen simultaneously, removing the need to switch between car and Android phone screens.
      If by 'both... content on the screen simultaneously,' you mean 'Android Auto content on 1/3 the screen, and Sensus messages referring you to Android Auto on 2/3 of the screen,' I suppose it's true.

The frustrating part to me is that we got that press release nearly 2.5 years ago, and today we have a bare-bones minimum Android Auto implementation. For 2.5 years of development after Volvo felt comfortable bragging about their implementation, I expected it to show some signs of polish, and to take fuller advantage of the Android Auto feature set.

Don't get me wrong--I'm glad to have it available, and I'll certainly use it to some extent. But I'm not sure how often I'll use it, since it seems to be a binary choice--Android Auto taking over all Sensus infotainment functions and blanking half the display, or no Android Auto. With no HUD support, inefficient use of the screen, it's not a clear choice to me.

And those of you with 2016s, I feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      See a few posts above yours.

Also, this seems incredibly disingenuous to me:

If by 'both... content on the screen simultaneously,' you mean 'Android Auto content on 1/3 the screen, and Sensus messages referring you to Android Auto on 2/3 of the screen,' I suppose it's true.

The frustrating part to me is that we got that press release nearly 2.5 years ago, and today we have a bare-bones minimum Android Auto implementation. For 2.5 years of development after Volvo felt comfortable bragging about their implementation, I expected it to show some signs of polish, and to take fuller advantage of the Android Auto feature set.

Don't get me wrong--I'm glad to have it available, and I'll certainly use it to some extent. But I'm not sure how often I'll use it, since it seems to be a binary choice--Android Auto taking over all Sensus infotainment functions and blanking half the display, or no Android Auto. With no HUD support, inefficient use of the screen, it's not a clear choice to me.

And those of you with 2016s, I feel for you.
      I assumed that Android Auto would simply become an available tile, similar to how the weather app works. The fact that it completely takes over the entire Sesus interface makes it less appealing to me. I'm still bummed that it's not even an option for me as a 2016 owner, because it at least offers an alternative to the extremely mediocre Sensus NAV.
      2016 Volvo XC90 Momentum+ (Crystal White Metallic / Amber)
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
      I assumed that Android Auto would simply become an available tile, similar to how the weather app works. The fact that it completely takes over the entire Sesus interface makes it less appealing to me. I'm still bummed that it's not even an option for me as a 2016 owner, because it at least offers an alternative to the extremely mediocre Sensus NAV.
      It is contained in a tile, much like CarPlay. It can be closed and still operating (and can open if you receive a text, etc)

So I think your initial assumption is more correct than you think...

^^^ None of that implementation should be surprising since it's exactly how they handled CarPlay too. I agree its weak, but it's consistent.

I'm in the same boat with a 2016 and having purchased the car originally due to the promise of all the specific tech integration inclusion Android Auto. And I've been waiting for it for 18 months as an owner so far, and watched it get delayed 3 separate times.

All that said, for those noting that Volvo owes an accommodation, good luck. They've never accepted responsibility for missing or cut features in the past so I doubt they will start now. I am still waiting for the speed limiting features and the red key I could give my student drivers that would be tied to it and allow me to set their max speed, etc. I specifically was looking forward to that feature when I bought and it was described in detail in my owner's manual for pages. And they've never so much as acknowledged it was missing...

It is contained in a tile, much like CarPlay. It can be closed and still operating (and can open if you receive a text, etc)

So I think your initial assumption is more correct than you think...
      So can I switch back and forth between Android Auto and the car's built-in apps just like I can with any other tile?
      2016 Volvo XC90 Momentum+ (Crystal White Metallic / Amber)
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

I dropped into a Chevrolet dealer today on my way back from a meeting just to check out one if their basic cars to see if it handles Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
      Low and behold I looked at a cheap 2016 Cruze model and it had a single USB port and supports both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Whatever you plug in works.

Maybe Volvo should call Chevrolet and ask them how they did it. Chevrolet is not the only car company that has this working.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Did you know all the heavy lifting for carplay and Android auto support was done by QNX and not volvo and has been in QNX for a long time

I am not sure QNX is the OS behind Sensus. Maybe it is some version of Linux, based on some crash/booting picture of test vehicles.

Take 2 minutes to contact Volvo and the dealer, I am personally not letting this one go..

So can I switch back and forth between Android Auto and the car's built-in apps just like I can with any other tile?
      If CarPlay is running, you can use the app tiles for things like Sound Experience, Car Status, etc. You will have to press the CarPlay tile to bring back its screen for CarPlay functions. I would expect Android Auto to perform the same.

Yes. On CarPlay, you can be listening to the radio, but using Siri, Maps, etc. I believe you can even run both Nav's at the same time.
      Think of CarPlay or Android Auto as a tile more than a system. They live inside Sensus, they do not take over Sensus.

For the record, I use CarPlay almost every drive. It's not your phone on the screen, but it's a nice little display for the functions that are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by citivas View Post
      ^^^ None of that implementation should be surprising since it's exactly how they handled CarPlay too. I agree its weak, but it's consistent.

I'm in the same boat with a 2016 and having purchased the car originally due to the promise of all the specific tech integration inclusion Android Auto. And I've been waiting for it for 18 months as an owner so far, and watched it get delayed 3 separate times.

All that said, for those noting that Volvo owes an accommodation, good luck. They've never accepted responsibility for missing or cut features in the past so I doubt they will start now. I am still waiting for the speed limiting features and the red key I could give my student drivers that would be tied to it and allow me to set their max speed, etc. I specifically was looking forward to that feature when I bought and it was described in detail in my owner's manual for pages. And they've never so much as acknowledged it was missing...
      Don't disagree with the overall gist of your post at all.

Specific to the red key though, it is now available:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Red-key-is-out

Yes. On CarPlay, you can be listening to the radio, but using Siri, Maps, etc. I believe you can even run both Nav's at the same time.
      Think of CarPlay or Android Auto as a tile more than a system. They live inside Sensus, they do not take over Sensus.

For the record, I use CarPlay almost every drive. It's not your phone on the screen, but it's a nice little display for the functions that are allowed.
      You can't navigate from both Sensus and CarPlay at the same time. You can see the Sensus map while CarPlay is active but if you were navigating in CarPlay and tried to do it in Sensus it would automatically cancel/override the Apple Maps nav, and vice versa. At least it does this with me. You also can't use the Sensus phone control while CarPlay is active -- you must do it through the CarPlay interface. And you can't use Bluetooth audio streaming either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacasta View Post
      It was confirmed today by Volvo USA that 2016 models will not be getting android auto. This was a feature promised to all of us when we purchased our cars and I welcome you to contact Volvo and let them know we are owed this feature. Volvo USA online support is always very quick to respond. Class action??

I just wanted to clarify the message you received, since it's somewhat inconsistent than what was mentioned in another thread. Is it that Android Auto will not be coming to 2016 models right now, or that it will never come to the 2016 models?

I'm including a set of quotes from another thread which paint a slightly more optimistic picture and do include a degree of logic and consistency to them that at least makes them believable.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...t-one-USB-port

Quote Originally Posted by Icerunner View Post
      Update from dealer:
      Apple CarPlay only comes standard from production week 48-2016 and further (thats next week). The dealer called Volvo Cars Netherland to clear things up. They state that, although CarPlay will work with one USB-port, AndroidAuto indeed requires the USB-hub to function. It is currently not possible to retrofit the USB-hub - Dealer says "they (Volvo) are still looking for a solution for the USB-hub requirement".

So even though I have the MY2017, and bought the car with the full expectation of AndroidAuto, I as well am getting screwed...

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      My guess is that the USB-hub is a different hardware device and using different driver software in Sensus, and AndroidAuto was developed on this kind of hardware first. Then somehow compatible problem was found when trying to run AndroidAuto on the older hardware with only one USB, and they cannot find a solution in time and can't afford to delay AndroidAuto further. So they released AndroidAuto for two USB XC90's first.

If they had developed/integrated AndroidAuto using the older hardware, I bet they would have known this problem much earlier and been able to address it than blocked right before release of AndroidAuto.
      Quote Originally Posted by Icerunner View Post
      New update: the dealer just texted me over Whatsapp. They got a 'presentation' over the e-mail from Volvo last week regarding the update, with a remark in it which he couldn't place - until my question. The remark is "Single USB - Problems during testing - under investigation"

So I guess there we have the last piece of the puzzle. Volvo did intend to release AndroidAuto for single usb too, but ran into issues, delaying its rollout. So until that's solved, it will only run on cars with the USB-hub. Does sound promising!
      As I mentioned in the other thread, this seems like the most logical explanation of the problem I've heard to-date and actually makes sense. So it's unfortunate that Android Auto isn't yet available to 1-USB cars, but it seems more like the situation is one of "not yet" rather than "never".

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellMcGee View Post
      I just wanted to clarify the message you received, since it's somewhat inconsistent than what was mentioned in another thread. Is it that Android Auto will not be coming to 2016 models right now, or that it will never come to the 2016 models?

I'm including a set of quotes from another thread which paint a slightly more optimistic picture and do include a degree of logic and consistency to them that at least makes them believable.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...t-one-USB-port

As I mentioned in the other thread, this seems like the most logical explanation of the problem I've heard to-date and actually makes sense. So it's unfortunate that Android Auto isn't yet available to 1-USB cars, but it seems more like the situation is one of "not yet" rather than "never".
      I agree wholeheartedly and am waiting to see the outcome. It's the same as the PA2 upgrade/addition costs. Many of us were quick to make assumptions, often negative ones, so your "believing the best" approach is commendable. You know what they say about assuming? It's the lowest form of knowledge.
      2016 XC90 T8 R Bursting Blue w/ Vision, Climate & B&W

About to place my factory order and asked about the availability of android on a single USB port my17 order. Volvo rep confirmed what many have posted here -- that Android Auto requires 2 USB ports, and the only way to get 2 USB ports at the moment is to have Apple CarPlay installed from factory... guess I'm adding that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gain momentum View Post
      About to place my factory order and asked about the availability of android on a single USB port my17 order. Volvo rep confirmed what many have posted here -- that Android Auto requires 2 USB ports, and the only way to get 2 USB ports at the moment is to have Apple CarPlay installed from factory... guess I'm adding that as well.
      So to get Android Auto, one has to pay for Apple CarPlay as well? What a waste! Don't they have an option to get 2 USB ports with Android Auto?

I think my way of thinking is that I paid 70k for a car with this feature so a maybe in the future does not suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellMcGee View Post
      Don't disagree with the overall gist of your post at all.

Specific to the red key though, it is now available:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Red-key-is-out
      The whole point of the red key for me was the advertised ability to pre-set and lock the speed limiter for your teens. That's not possible in the US. For reasons Volvo never cared to explain, the US has this feature striped out. And given other US cars have it, it's definitely not a regulatory thing.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast