Anyone know much about Volvo Protective Net to separate cargo area?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone know much about Volvo Protective Net to separate cargo area?

I'm considering getting the Volvo Protective Net (part 31363900) to keep my dogs in the back. I don't need the steel version.

Does anyone:

1) know if this is easily stowed in-vehicle such as in the rear cargo tray storage area?
      2) have pics or videos of it installed so I can see what I'm getting? Volvo materials show a rather useless close up of the netting, not the full picture that would demonstrate size or attachment points.
      3) know where I can get it for a more reasonable price than the $265 that I can find online? For something that in my mind is just a net with clips, this seems exorbitant.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was interested in this, as well. I saw a full picture of it somewhere, and it looked to me as if it would not stop a dog from getting past the net if the seats are down. There was a lot of space at the bottom and some at the sides, where a small or otherwise determined dog could get through. That was a deal-breaker for me.

If someone knows differently, I would like to be corrected, because the net seems easier to stow when not needed. Otherwise, I am getting the steel version, but I have a couple of months to think about it before I start letting our dogs in my new car....
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      I was interested in this, as well. I saw a full picture of it somewhere, and it looked to me as if it would not stop a dog from getting past the net if the seats are down. There was a lot of space at the bottom and some at the sides, where a small or otherwise determined dog could get through. That was a deal-breaker for me.

If someone knows differently, I would like to be corrected, because the net seems easier to stow when not needed. Otherwise, I am getting the steel version, but I have a couple of months to think about it before I start letting our dogs in my new car....
      My dogs are large and I would never drive with the net up and the seats down so I don't think I'd have the issues you're concerned with.

Any chance you could point me to the image you've seen? I could find pics of ones for other models but not the XC90.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

We will have three people in the car, and have 2/3 of the 2d row down to hold luggage, to give our dogs more room in back.

Sorry-- I don't remember where I saw the pictures. I spent some time googling pictures of the net, and it popped up a couple of times during my search, but I didn't save the web addresses because I figured that the net wasn't going to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      My dogs are large and I would never drive with the net up and the seats down so I don't think I'd have the issues you're concerned with.

Any chance you could point me to the image you've seen? I could find pics of ones for other models but not the XC90.
      I have this but have not installed it yet. Will try to do so this weekend and send a pic (we haven't let our 55 lb. labradoodle in the car yet; he's riding only in the 16 year old MDX!). I got mine from Sangera Parts for $258.14.

Not my xc90

Last edited by OURDESIGN; 11-30-2016 at 07:12 PM.

That is very helpful-- thank you. And nope, it's not going to work for me. Which is too bad because it is not only cheaper, but it can go behind either the first or second row of seats (the steel barrier can only go behind the second row), and would also be a lot easier to stow when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by OURDESIGN View Post
      Not my xc90
      Thanks much for the pics! They answer my questions and raise a new one - am I correct that it looks like the bar at the top folds in the middle for stowing it away?

Even though it's a bit more than a net with clips attached, I still think it's grossly overpriced. Anyone got a used one they want to sell?

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      I agree - it's really overpriced. A few months ago there was one for sale on eBay. Not that much cheaper. Please check it out.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

Will this net stop a dog from being a projectile in the event of a collision? At least with the steel version, they're staying in back in that event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2017 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ | Momentum+ | Ice White/Amber | Vision/Convenience/Booster

I have it but I haven't used it yet. I think I got it as part of some package as I don't remember ordering it separately for such an outrageous amount that you mention. It is very easily foldable though and when folded it fits nicely next to the spare wheel under the cargo area. I will be using it for protecting us from luggage not dogs though

here in Switzerland it comes for free (Versatility package free with Inscription). As many others I haven't used it yet, and probably it will stay in the trunk storage until the car is sold again.
      MY 2017 XC90 D5 Inscription /Electric Silver/ charcoal/ Air suspension, B&W, Auxiliary fuel heater, 4 zone clim, leather dash and almost all options excluding homelink,carplay,laminated windows and some others that I don't remember.

I would be pretty certain that it is sufficient to hold a dog in the back in a collision. With previous Volvo systems like this there have been warnings in the instruction manuals that the net is part of the safety system of the vehicle and to not tamper with it in any way.

FWIW used nets for the P80 series cars still sell for $70-90. On a 20 year old car where there are tons of used ones available and most of the cars aren't worth more than $2000 or so.
      1998 V70 AWD
      2010 XC90 3.2
      2013 XC70 T6 P*
      1987 190e 2.3-16

From the comments Volvo supplies with their accessories, it can be seen that the net and the barrier serve different purposes.
      I don't want to use the net for my dog, it is not safe for the animal itself and for the other occupants in the car.
      This is what Volvo writes:
      About the net:
      "A practical check pattern safety net in sturdy nylon.
      The net prevents luggage and cargo from moving forward into the passenger compartment when braking hard"
      About the barrier:
      "A practical protective grille that prevents loads or pets from being thrown forward into the passenger
      compartment in the event of heavy braking or a collision"

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements