Tormund the 2005 V50 T5 AWD
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Smile Tormund the 2005 V50 T5 AWD

Greetings. Been lurking reading up on this very fun vehicle I recently acquired. Coming from the Land Cruiser and Tacoma world but have always appreciated vehicles like the V50.

Car spent first 100k around Seattle but spent the past year and 30k going up and down the Alcan from Anchorage to Montana. Needed a little TLC and I got the AWD rebuilt, Timing Belt/WP replaced and a dealt with a few codes and software upgrades. Put some Hakkapeliitta Ice 8's on it for the winter and have started doing the LED upgrade and will add Bluetooth module soon.

Will tinker with some mods this spring. Want to beef up the suspension, put a slightly larger tire on in the summer, and will slowly work on some preformance upgrades.. Sure I'll have lots of questions.

Here is Tormund...https://goo.gl/photos/UD5G34wsvXEV7hxq8

Cheers!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looking clean! Iv always liked passion red on the v50. Good luck finding suspension for the awd though! Join the club. Haha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

^don't listen to that guy - you're only limited in the rear shock department. Which, for most non-racing people, is a non-issue. How do you like the rear spoiler? And how's the dynamic trim? I have an otherwise identical (silver) v50 that I removed the dynamic trim because it was beat and limited clearance on the front end; it also didn't come with a spoiler and have been considering one ever since I bought it. Do you find that the spoiler gets in the way of cargo loading?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes from my reading I'm beginning to get enlightened about the limitations to upgrading the AWD suspension.. I just want to tighten it up after 130k miles, so oem is ok if thats all thats available. Maybe a beefier swaybar? I think a slightly larger tire will give me the additional height and a bit more cushion for our crappy Alaska roads..

I didn't know anything about this particular model Volvo before coming across this one for sale, so I'm not sure what the dynamic trim comprises and how it differs from other packages, but I'm assuming its the lower body work up front and on the sides? I like the look, and haven't hit anything yet but do have to pay attention when pulling into a parking space and leave room out front. My front piece is a little beat up, and I notice the inner piece of plastic on mine seems loose or has broken mounts. I will prob take a look at it in the spring an at least give it a nice touch up to get rid of the paint chips.

I haven't loaded anything on top yet, probably a xmas tree tomorrow. But coming from a Tacoma where I needed a stool to tie things down to the cross bars I cant see the spoiler getting in the way too much.

It sure does put a grin on my face zipping thru traffic...

I replaced my rear with a Mazda speed 3 rear and it helped tighten up the rear significantly - that's an easy upgrade and ebay find. Just like any car, at your mileage I'd recommend replacing lower control arms, end links, and struts/strut mounts. As far as tires go, you can probably install 225/60 (I have 225/50 and still have about a 1/2" clearance to the spring perch).

You're right: the dynamic trim is the lower trim pieces. Most P1's have smaller black plastic trim pieces, unpainted. They're much more robust than the painted (dynamic) trim, but people love dynamic trim for their sporty looks. Personally I like my AWD wagons to have a bit of clearance (ex subaru outback owner).
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I installed the iSimple Tranzit BLU HF to add bluetooth connectivity to Tormund. I have the Premium 6-disc system, and can confirm that its not possible to add this behind the waterfall, but it does work with the adapters http://www.incarconnections.co.uk/vo...-ct27aa58.html at the connetion in the rear passenger area (great pictures of removing the rear interior panels here https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...+panel+removal). Install was exactly as described in this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ight=bluetooth. I did intinially power it off the 12v power point. But I powered the car off (key out) and the blutooth was still connecting to my phone, preventing me from using another blutooth speaker while near the car. I didn't like the idea of that always being on and and the possibility of a slow drain so I switchted to the same position II power as shown in the linked thread, the red/black wire combo ending in a green plug with a few other wires thats right in that location.. However I do appear to have thrown a code, for the airbag system?

Not sure if the code is just coincidence or if I tripped it connecting the power to the Tranzit?

*Note about the Tranzit setup/pairing, when I first powered on it paired and connected immediately. But when I then switched the power source to the position II connections. When I attempted to pair again, my phone detected it but would not pair and the control button would not force a pair. I had to do a factory reset following the instructions and then it again paired correctly.

Other than that it appears to work great. Nice clear quality on whatever FM channel is you want (can reprogram through an app once paired), what you'd expect from an inline connection. Much better quality than any FM transmitter I've heard (I've had two belkins, they work, but no where near this clear). Easy install.

Quote Originally Posted by JomamaAK View Post
      However I do appear to have thrown a code, for the airbag system?

Not sure if the code is just coincidence or if I tripped it connecting the power to the Tranzit?

I recalled after posting this that I unplugged the connection to the rear shoulder belt when I pulled the rear interior panels out to connect & mount the Tranzit, which likely threw this code.

Tormund looks like my car's long lost (longer) brother!

What was involved in the AWD rebuild? The timing belt on my car has already been done somewhat recently so I'm good there, but I like to stay ahead of potential issues where I can.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Another Good - Save - Looks like the Body is in Real Nice shape for Running all those Roads ~
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

All Clean 2.jpg
      Nice looking car. I love my little red wagon.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      Tormund looks like my car's long lost (longer) brother!

What was involved in the AWD rebuild? The timing belt on my car has already been done somewhat recently so I'm good there, but I like to stay ahead of potential issues where I can.
      That was some dealer work, when I purchased the AWD was not functioning, I dont recall specifics off the top of my head. I believe there is a rebuild as part of the regular service schedule, there might be some info in the AWC system threads.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD Auto

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements