Misfire - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Misfire

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun42073 View Post
      It won't last. There is an underlying cause.
      Damn, we were all hoping you'd be wrong. For everyone's sake. But you called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe09 View Post
      Issue came back almost eight months later. This time got the dreaded turtle icon and a "reduced performance" message. Car towed to dealer. Diagnostic shows misfire due to spark plugs. Because they were replaced once, dealer is opening a case with Volvo to see what the next steps are. Let's see what Volvo says. I'll keep you guys posted.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jake08 View Post
      Yeah, mine came back too. Waiting to set up another drive with a tech, since they cannot seem to duplicate the problem on their own. Funny, since it's back to happening about 75% of the time I merge onto the highway.
      Sorry for your challenges, it's in Volvo's best interest to jump all over this and knock it out. Suggest sharing each other's story with Volvo Corp. There may be others. For goodness sake, this should not be happening. Even in small numbers. Hang in there.
      Hers: 2013 C30 T5 / Polestar Limited Edition / 6M / #147 of 250 / Rebel Blue
      His: 2018 V60 T5 Dynamic / Passion Red / Vision & Tech Pkgs
      Son's: 2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Dynamic Sport / IPD Stuff (He will never part with)
      Son's: 2018 V60CC / Denim Blue / Vision Pkg
      In the past: 2016 XC90RD / 2015 S60RD / 2012 S60 T5 - Loved them all!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For what it's worth, after 10,000 in two T6s no issues here. I have 3 good friends with XC90s; one with MY 16 the other two with MY 17. No similar issues with them either. Good luck hunting problem down.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Osmium Grey | All Options | Polestar

I have a misfire with CEL, they replaced oil trap, O2 sensor and some hose. Not fixed but replacement coming soon idc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- 覧> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us覧-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
      For what it's worth, after 10,000 in two T6s no issues here. I have 3 good friends with XC90s; one with MY 16 the other two with MY 17. No similar issues with them either. Good luck hunting problem down.
      Mine is reaching 25K miles. No other major issues. I've had small things like temperature and wiper sensor replaced.

2016 XC90 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey Metallic | 22" | B&W | Convenience | Vision | Air Suspension | CarPlay

Misfire

Dealer got back to me. Volvo is requesting to change the spark plugs again. I was hoping they would suggest something else.

Dealer looked at the spark plugs that were changed eight months ago and they are not in good shape. They're thinking It might be a compression issue. They will get back to me.
      Last edited by Fringe09; 07-11-2017 at 10:36 PM.
      2016 XC90 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey Metallic | 22" | B&W | Convenience | Vision | Air Suspension | CarPlay

Dealer got back to me. Volvo is requesting to change the spark plugs again. I was hoping they would suggest something else.

Dealer looked at the spark plugs that were changed eight months ago and they are not in good shape. They're thinking It might be a compression issue. They will get back to me.
      I dont have time to read all the threads but I assume you are running premium? If so, great.
      If not, detonation from low octane/low quality fuel could be damaging the spark plugs.

You have one of two issues going on as long as you use premium fuel:

1) Volvo had a problem with the spark plug heat range in the four cylinder engines. They changed the heat range (as per some people i know that know people) and new plugs fix the problem 95% of the time. I have not had a vehicle come back after installing new plugs.

2) There is excessive oil getting around the piston rings causing oil consumption. This consumption causes cool spots in the combustion chamber that also causes detonation and damage to the spark plugs. (I have not sees this on SPA vehicles but I have on P3).

I assume your shop and Help Desk at Volvo will solve this pretty easily.
      Last edited by gunshow; 07-12-2017 at 07:06 AM.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      I dont have time to read all the threads but I assume you are running premium? If so, great.
      If not, detonation from low octane/low quality fuel could be damaging the spark plugs.

You have one of two issues going on as long as you use premium fuel:

1) Volvo had a problem with the spark plug heat range in the SPA vehicles. They changed the heat range (as per some people i know that know people) and new plugs fix the problem. I have no had a vehicle come back after installing new plugs.

2) There is excessive oil getting around the piston rings causing oil consumption. This consumption causes cool spots in the combustion chamber that also causes detonation and damage to the spark plugs. (I have not see then on SPA vehicles but I have on P3).

I assume your shop and Help Desk at Volvo will solve this pretty easily.
      Yes, running premium. Spark plugs were replaced eights months ago when the issue first appeared.

Yes, running premium. Spark plugs were replaced eights months ago when the issue first appeared.

I was made aware of the spark plug change 5 months ago. More than likely you just got another old batch last time.

I was made aware of the spark plug change 5 months ago. More than likely you just got another old batch last time.
      I'm hoping you're right and that is the root cause.

Miss my car, hate the loaner, and don't want to drive a car fearing it will stop middle of the freeway just like this last time.

1) Volvo had a problem with the spark plug heat range in the four cylinder engines. They changed the heat range (as per some people i know that know people) and new plugs fix the problem 95% of the time. I have not had a vehicle come back after installing new plugs.
      My plugs were replaced, and I had the problem re- occur on the drive home from the dealership. That was ~10,000 miles ago, and it's still happening.
      Current: '18 XC90 Inscription, Pine Grey

Formerly: '16 XC90 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Polestar

My plugs were replaced, and I had the problem re- occur on the drive home from the dealership. That was ~10,000 miles ago, and it's still happening.
      First time the car misfired was around 15K miles. Second time, 25K miles. Plugs lasted only 10K miles.

I guess my point was that plugs didn't fix the problem, and it happens every day I drive the vehicle. I've had the same complaint for over a year, and no fix in sight.

and no fix in sight.

You would be wrong my friend. I just verified 2 minutes ago that there is a new part # for the updated plugs. Most likely those that had reoccurring problems with a misfire had the old style plugs installed.

You would be wrong my friend. I just verified 2 minutes ago that there is a new part # for the updated plugs. Most likely those that had reoccurring problems with a misfire had the old style plugs installed.

Thank you. I'll reach out to my dealer.

Angry misfire on cylinder 2

Have owned XC90 for two years and have had no issues until last week when had the misfire problem. Quoting the repair invoice cylinder 2 misfire removed all plugs to inspect, spark plug 2 was broken off and parts were missing. performed compression and leak down test. All values were found to be normal. The spark plug kit used to replace all plugs had the same part number as shown on the new HLR kit shown previously. Hope this fixes issue. so far so good. Also says wrote case to hotline regarding issue.

Not sure why unless new plugs made a difference as we drove from CT to Maine recently and the trip computer recorded 31.2 mpg best we have ever done.

As to bad gas we have mostly used Costco top tier gas with 93 octane. Otherwise mostly Shell.

Pete

Thank you. I'll reach out to my dealer.

Anyone know if this issue is related only to MY2016? I'm not sure if my engine is misfiring but, as reported in another thread, I do get very strange bursts of acceleration at low speeds.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription (loaded w/ Polestar), Osmium/Amber
      Previous: 2009 XC70 T6 AWD, 2005 V50 T5 AWD, various Saabs

Bad news. Dealer did use the new spark plugs 8 months ago.

Volvo wants the dealer to change the pistons. Major work. It will take weeks and I am not happy. This is not what I was expecting.

Volvo wants the dealer to change the pistons. Major work. It will take weeks and I am not happy. This is not what I was expecting.
      Is this due to oil consumption? Is there a specific test for this, or just a guess on their end?

Is this due to oil consumption? Is there a specific test for this, or just a guess on their end?
      I was in shock when the service manager was telling me what Volvo was requesting to be done. I think I recall him mentioning something with oil and the spark plugs continually cracking.

Any of you guys like to drive aggressively, have Polestar update, tow often, live in high elevation, occurs only when temps are high? None of these are excuses but I'm trying to see if there's any common denominator...

There's no such thing as luck of the draw... Seems our little engine that could is having heart attacks for some reason.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Any of you guys like to drive aggressively, have Polestar update, tow often, live in high elevation, occurs only when temps are high? None of these are excuses but I'm trying to see if there's any common denominator...

There's no such thing as luck of the draw... Seems our little engine that could is having heart attacks for some reason.
      Drive aggressively: No
      Polestar: No
      Tow: Never
      High elevation: No
      Temps High: No (both of my misfires happened during the morning time)

Forgot to mention that the pistons are the minimum of what needs to be replaced. They will take the engine apart and inspect everything else.

Hum...

gunshow says early built engines had different shape pistons but this engine has been out for a long time on other models... Did it take all this time to fix it? Wonder when they did the piston shape change at the factory?
      Last edited by PhatboyC; 07-14-2017 at 08:59 AM.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

As I have stated earlier and this validates it, piston rings are allowing oil to get by which is causing cool spots on the pistons which causes pre-ignition which causes spark plugs damage.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Hum...

gunshow says early built engines had different shape pistons but this engine has been out for a long time on other models... Did it take all this time to fix it? Wonder when they did the piston shape change at the factory?
      They added an oil control ring on the piston. From three rings to four rings.

They added an oil control ring on the piston. From three rings to four rings.
      When did they do this?
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold
      2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

Quote Originally Posted by kenhoeve View Post
      When did they do this?
      From engine serial number 1501327 engines have been modified from engine factory.

14 straight days at the dealer. No idea when I'm getting the car back.

Not sure if I want to go and try and find my serial #. I haven't experienced any of these symptoms in my 2016 T6...

21 straight days at the dealer. Reached out to VCNA.

Sorry to hear Fringe09.

Quote Originally Posted by freddell View Post
      Sorry to hear Fringe09.
      To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. It痴 taken 21 days just for this issue and they're still waiting for the pistons. The car has also been at the dealer for the first misfire, moon roof seal replacement for a leak, and others I don稚 remember at this time. Still trying the grasp the reality that the pistons need to be replaced at 25K miles.

30 straight days at the dealer. Hoping VCNA does the right thing.

VCNA is buying the car back.

VCNA is buying the car back.
      Excellent! What did they offer for a replacement?

2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- 覧> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us覧-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.moor View Post
      Excellent! What did they offer for a replacement?

Dealer called me and said they are buying the car back. I'm thinking they'll cut me a check. The car is paid off.

I also purchased prepaid maintenance w/ wear coverage (7 years or 100,00 miles), VIP Exclusionary (96 months or 124,985 miles), Volvo VOC for the max length allowed, and all weather mats from the first row to the trunk.

Someone from VCNA will reach out to me and go over the details.
      Last edited by Fringe09; 08-14-2017 at 12:38 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast