Who wants a Volvo P1 specific, WMM safe, HID Retrofit? - Page 7
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Fwinns View Post
      I was referring to the "hidden error" you mentioned, and the light turning off and having to turn off the car to be able to turn it on again. If it happens only with certain HID ballast (brand? wattage?), I just want to avoid buying these and but ones that do not cause any error
      Again, the hidden error happens only when LSM is in Pos0. It affects all brands of ballasts, it is caused by the CEM not the ballast. Even 35w ballast draw 40-45W, at 50% duty of Pos0 that is peaks of 80-95W, which trips the short circuit protection. The way to prevent it is to avoid or disable Pos0.

In PosII the lowest duty is 85%, so like I said, leave it in II and you will have no problems.

PS Batch2 orders placed before this weekend will probably ship out same day
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

New How-To posted on skbowe.com: the DRL Disarm - so called to differentiate it from the software DRL disable. Basically by removing pin 6 (black/green) from the LSM connector - or cutting the wire - the CEM thinks that Position 0 is actually Position II, and all the DRL issues go away!

(click pics for full writeup)

Cost: $0

Time: 5 minutes

Seeing at night: Priceless!
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post

Cost: $0

Time: 5 minutes

Seeing at night: Priceless!
      Can you hear this sound?....

... thats the "AAawwwww" sound of all dealerships that from today are loosing portion of their extortion money for people NOT ordering DRL disable software anymore

u sir deserve a beer!
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yep, and kudos to Shadow as always for figuring this out. This doesn't disable DRL though, just the low-duty voltage on position 0. Your lights will still be on, and since I want to be to be a cool dude I want to do the true disable w/ the software download. Just need to ask my dealer what they want for it. If it's just a few dollars more than a 3-day subscription and the $30 software I will let them do it. Not worth messing my hacked Vida install up to load 2015 web version.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio, Nav, Climate, Blis
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Pkg, E46 bi-xenon retro
      Previous: '05 S60 2.5T, '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Again, the hidden error happens only when LSM is in Pos0. It affects all brands of ballasts, it is caused by the CEM not the ballast. Even 35w ballast draw 40-45W, at 50% duty of Pos0 that is peaks of 80-95W, which trips the short circuit protection. The way to prevent it is to avoid or disable Pos0.

In PosII the lowest duty is 85%, so like I said, leave it in II and you will have no problems.

PS Batch2 orders placed before this weekend will probably ship out same day

Ok I understand, I think there's a mistake in your original post, it should read pos 0 can create an hidden error, not position II (which makes sense).
      I'll probably order a set this weekend then, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fwinns View Post
      Ok I understand, I think there's a mistake in your original post, it should read pos 0 can create an hidden error, not position II (which makes sense).
      I'll probably order a set this weekend then, thanks!
      Fixed, thanks:

** Depending on you kits wattage and design, running a KBOWE + HID with the LSM in Position 0 might trigger a hidden (silent) short circuit DTC (aka VIDA code) for a headlight circuit out of range low. If this happens, that side will be disabled until you remove the key and restart the car. There will be no warning displayed, and switching from 0 to II while the car is on (or the key is in) will not re-start the ballast. Restarting the car in position 0 will probably result in another error, making it seem like a fuse is blown or something is hooked up wrong. If this happens, take the key out, turn the LSM to II, and restart the car.

...But rather than explain all of that and have to deal with confused people, the "official" guidance is disable DRL. Alternately, you can disable Position 0: https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/09/27/...ion-0-disable/

EDIT: Fixed the above to read correctly (thanks Fwinns)
      Writeups

I have been running my SKBOWE with Morimoto XB35 for three weeks now and I am very impressed with the light output. It's night and day compared to the halogens. I originally used the 50W ballast, but this overpowered the headlight and I was being flashed by other drivers. The 35W kit is the perfect setup, in terms of not being overly bright and still giving a good light output. I have not been flashed with this setup, which is important. I have kept my setup stock so I am using the existing projector, but I do see the appeal of going down the E46 route. If you are looking to keep it simple, by using the existing projector with 35W ballast is the perfect combination. I have been waiting for a safe solution to run HID in my C30. A big shout out to Jacob for designing the SKBOWE. He has designed a high quality product and is very knowledgeable when you are seeking help. If you have been waiting to upgrade your halogen P1 Volvo with HID, you need SKBOWE!

FYI, SKBOWE Batch 2 is shipping now - there are 15 units left.

And as a heads-up: If it does happen (not sure yet) Batch 3 will need to be priced at least at $120-125ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab View Post
      If you have been waiting to upgrade your halogen P1 Volvo with HID, you need SKBOWE!

BTW, SKBOWE #037 shipped yesterday!

Writeups

FYI, SKBOWE Batch 2 is shipping now - there are 15 units left.

And as a heads-up: If it does happen (not sure yet) Batch 3 will need to be priced at least at $120-125ish.

BTW, SKBOWE #037 shipped yesterday!

Any sets left for H7? What would delivery to Ireland be? Looking to change to HID. Thanks.

Hi Stevie_n1,

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_n1 View Post
      Any sets left for H7?
      There are 15 sets left.
      Each set does not include the HID kit (H7/H11/D2S) - you buy this separately.

What would delivery to Ireland be?
      Intenational shipping changers are calculated automatically during checkout. It will show you when you press the "buy it now" button

Looking to change to HID. Thanks.
      These and many other questions are answered on https://www.skbowe.com/a/ ...
      Writeups

Cheers man yeah was looking at the different kits on the market. Would you recommend 35 or 55w and also nearly all kits come with canbus error eliminators. Do I need these? I?m going 5000k as don?t want the light to blue. Thanks

The dealer wanted $165 to disable my DRL's so I ended up getting a 3-day VIDA subscription from Volvo Tech Info and got the job done on my own time in my own garage for $65 less HID retrofit is full green light now, got all my parts, just need to find more time

Cheers man yeah was looking at the different kits on the market. Would you recommend 35 or 55w and also nearly all kits come with canbus error eliminators. Do I need these? I?m going 5000k as don?t want the light to blue. Thanks
      As explained on https://www.skbowe.com/a/guide/ the 55 vs 35 is a tradeoff between life and brightness. In the US it doesn't matter either way, but I have had a report from Canada that 55w in the halogen projector was causing other drivers to flash, perhaps as a result of stricter headlight standards.

With SKBOWE, "CANBUS" is optional, if it is a separate adapter do not install it, if it is "built in" that is fine to use. It will work either way.

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      The dealer wanted $165 to disable my DRL's so I ended up getting a 3-day VIDA subscription from Volvo Tech Info and got the job done on my own time in my own garage for $65 less HID retrofit is full green light now, got all my parts, just need to find more time
      Nice! Remember for the install pics or it didn't happen
      Writeups

Just some quick updates:

Batch 2 Production

Batch 2 production is complete, there are 12 pairs left in stock.

One of them has some cosmetic imperfections on the enclosures from sloppy work during the encapsulation process, electrical functionality isn't affected at all. I'll take 10% off this set - PM me if interested.

My AL (E46) Projector Retrofit

I also threw some AL gen2 (Audi) projectors in my car using the old back covers and AMP-D2S converters - haven't had much time on them but from a quick drive around vs H11 rebase:

- Low Beam: cutoff is nicer against a wall, but no noticeable difference on the road. Slightly wider beam pattern. The "step" is less pronounced, slightly worried about oncoming traffic (had no problems with rebase)
      - High Beam: a MASSIVE improvement. Continuous school-girl giggling. The combination of 55W bi-xenon + HIR1 bulbs is silly bright - in total, about 2x stock (1680+1350 -> 2350+4200). Massive throw.

Will have to do a longer highway drive to give an complete review, but at the moment, I'm leaning away from a blanket recommendation to swap from a performance standpoint. The rebase is inexpensive and a huge improvement, the bi-xenon is expensive but only a marginal improvement.

Bi-xenon wiring, take 2

Also did a quick writeup on an alternate more advanced way to connect up the bi-xenon flapper wires without using a 9005 extension:

Enjoy!
      Writeups

Also did a quick writeup on an alternate more advanced way to connect up the bi-xenon flapper wires without using a 9005 extension:

Enjoy!
      Cheers for that! Was planning to do more straight wiring on my current retro project and it looks much nicer than using extra extensions.
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Lol @ $16 ballast https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/11/03/...y-kit-not-buy/

Hint: If a ballast weighs 3 Oz (85G) and cost less that $20, you probably want to avoid it
      Writeups

Auch....

Thanks for doing the research and sharing it here! Hopefully people will understand better that some kits are more expensive for a reason...

When I ordered the connectors for the coolant level sensor, I also picked up some for the solenoid control boards so I could make y'all some pigtails in OEM colors... If you are gathering parts for a bi-xenon retrofit they might come in handy...

I should have enough of these to go around, so no rush.

BTW, shipped SKBOWE #47 of 50 today! Home stretch... Batch 3 is in limbo ATM, since everyone here that needed a set has it, I'm leaning towards it being a 2020 kind of thing. Maybe a slight redesign with a connector+harness rather than permanent leads to give it a more OEM look. So many projects, so little time!

Speaking of which, on the roadmap for Batch 3 is a DRL detector output based on the Pololu Medium RC Switch (2803) hardware (w/custom firmware) that can be integrated into the SKBOWE housing to provide a (-) signal when the dimmed-low-beam DRLs are activated. The idea would be to have an optional relay harness that could divert the low beam power to some other lights (e.g. fogs) when the DRLs are active, but switch back to the HID ballast at night - automatically! For the $7.50 (each) I'd probably source them assembled - the board is small enough to fit inside of the SKBOWE enclosure, with decent component ratings (105c), and the ability to sink up to 15A of current (overkill for a relay). Don't get too excited though, as busy as I've been there are several months of R&D ahead before a prototype, and like I said above, probably a few years before Batch 3 goes into production...
      Last edited by theshadow27; 11-25-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Got another order, 46 -> 47
      Writeups

Speaking of which, on the roadmap for Batch 3 is a DRL detector output based on the Pololu Medium RC Switch (2803) hardware (w/custom firmware) that can be integrated into the SKBOWE housing to provide a (-) signal when the dimmed-low-beam DRLs are activated. The idea would be to have an optional relay harness that could divert the low beam power to some other lights (e.g. fogs) when the DRLs are active, but switch back to the HID ballast at night - automatically!....
      Thumbs up for the idea, man! So anyone with DRLs still active could get SKBOWe instead paying stupid volvo to disable them AND in the same time you can have real-behaving DRLs? That is a really cool solution for EU countries with obligatory lights 24/7, hats off for you sir

Quick update on the SKBOWE project:
      - All 50 of the original Batch1 (26) and Batch2 (24) units have sold!
      - As of right now, there is one left under the 'Open Box' selection on the order form, SN#003 which was used to take photos on the site (never in a car)
      - Parts on order for Batch3 (23) and Batch4 (27), the final 50 of the original run of 100.
      - Batch3 preorder is open, will ship NLT 1-Feb-18. Price adjusted to $110 to cover costs.
      - Batch4 ETA TBD, probably around July. Limited number of these may have customization options, depending on interest.

Sincere thanks to everyone who stuck with me on this project, and I hope you are all enjoying your lights

Oh, and BTW if you are not in the install gallery send me pics!
      Writeups

I just pulled the trigger on this pair of 2016-2017 Camaro Gen2 projectors. Fingers crossed I didn't make a noob mistake going with these ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322691354945

Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      I just pulled the trigger on this pair of 2016-2017 Camaro Gen2 projectors. Fingers crossed I didn't make a noob mistake going with these ones.
      Those are correct, nice find!

Notes:
      - You'll have to bend the oval shaped tab out of the way or remove it completely for it to accept D2S bulbs.
      - The black plastic shroud needs to come off for it to fit in our housings.
      - Watch the polarity on the solenoid connectors as they are not color coded. Follow "Gen2" wiring in the projector selection pdf (from the OP)

If they are from a 2016 they are probably super clean. Very nice.
      Writeups

Whew! These were the only pair I could find under $100 that didn't have burn marks. Thank you for the tips and confirmation.

Also, thanks very much to you and Nick for the helpful guides on identifying the "good stuff". It was most helpful to me. This will be my first lighting upgrade project and it's insanely great to have all these resources here at SwedeSpeed. The miserable low beams in these P1 cars certainly need it.

Kind Regards,
      Keith / "Walky T."
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

I looked at buying those Camaro projectors a while back, but by then I already had about 4 sets of projectors lol. Good luck and please report back with pics about the mod needed to get D2S bulbs in that holder, or maybe Shadow can mark up one of those posted pics (?). Every newer projector I saw for sale had those retainers so I shied away from them , even though I knew they could be made to work somehow.

Are you going to leave those funky lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      maybe Shadow can mark up one of those posted pics (?).
      How's this?

(click for more)
      Writeups

Just an FYI to people still interested, I have two sets of clean OEM projectors ready to go. Haven't heard from people over the past few months, but I also haven't been posting
      07 V50 T5 AWD | E46 Bi-xenon w/ KBOWE | Projector Info

Quote Originally Posted by Nick0matic View Post
      Just an FYI to people still interested, I have two sets of clean OEM projectors ready to go. Haven't heard from people over the past few months, but I also haven't been posting
      +1 . If you buy projectors from Nick and preorder a SKBOWE batch 3 Iíll throw in a set of Volvo color coded connectors for free

BTW all the projector tab bending/compatibility credit goes to Nick, Iím just documenting it.
      Writeups

How's this?
      Perfect ... so simple

Well, I got *one* side installed. Car looks kind of silly with just 1 HID, but I wanted to do it one at a time, so I could make sure the aiming and such matched the factory.

Some notes:
      - There were no modifications necessary to the Camaro projectors for D2S bulb fitment. They [basically] went right in. Didn't bend any key tabs.
      - The bulb retention mechanism on these "octagon" type holders can take some force. The trick is pushing the bulb DOWN, into the mechanism while you twist. If you just twist, you can break stuff.
      - I'm using a 55w DDM Slim ballast kit from several years back. The DDM D2S pigtail/fitting was interfering a bit with the rear cover installation. I was able to clearance it using some high-tech methods. Those methods involved warming [read: nearly catching fire to] the cover with a BIC lighter in my kitchen and then pushing out the offending area with the back of a spoon.
      - The low beam did end up slightly higher than stock (compared to high beam). At ~10 feet it was about an inch higher I would say.

I did not think the slightly raised low beam it was enough to worry about. The halogen high beam is still above it, and the bi-xenon projector itself still has the high beam mode, of course. I plan to just carefully aim the projectors as high as I can get away with and it should work pretty well.

Except I screwed up:
      I thought I'd be cool and use water tight "cable glands" to pass the wires though the rear cover. Well it worked great, except for me being a dunce and not checking the car to see if there was clearance for them! I ran into some fairly direct interference with the washer fluid filler neck. I pulled the neck out for now, so everything else fits. Just have to figure out what I'm going to do. I'll probably start by not being a absolute dunce. Solid plan, I think.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 01-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Donít feel too bad about placement, I didnít check mine and it has to make a sharp 90 at the AC lines. Nick picked a bad location too, he used fiberglass to fill the hole and redrilled it correctly...

Thanks for the tip on thermoforming the cover, Iíll add that to the site!

I donít know about PA, but in VA itís wayyy too cold to be working on the car...
      Writeups

I donít know about PA, but in VA itís wayyy too cold to be working on the car...
      It was freezing! I was installing the housing as fast as I could, but my fingers were still frozen for a good hour and a half.

Here's a couple pics:

This was the only tricky part mounting the new projector. This screw is a little hard to get at, but it goes.

And my cable glands. Darn you!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

No pics of the install in the car yet. My hands were frozen and useless.

Jacob is right, I was stupid and made a 1" hole in the center of both dust caps without even looking at fitment. It wasn't even the outside fitment that was a problem, it's that the hole was right behind a 90į igniter (like your fourth pic), so the cable had nowhere to go.

Space is really tight behind the headlights, so it's a measure thrice, cut once affair. Great job braving the cold, here's hoping the ballasts can too!
      07 V50 T5 AWD | E46 Bi-xenon w/ KBOWE | Projector Info

I decided to fix my dunce move by just plugging the filler neck hole, and then storing the washer filler neck in the garage for when I need to top up. Took me a while to find something that would work to plug the hole which would be easily removable, seal off well and not fall in. In the end a worn out distributor rotor from a late 80's Toyota did the job nicely.

I also adjusted the aim a little bit and hooked up the Bi-Xenon solenoid wires.

HOLY CRAP. Even with just one headlamp converted, the lighting performance is amazingly improved. Night driving is so much better, especially dipped beam coverage. Distance, width, brightness - it's all good.

I decided that I will probably go in and shim the projectors down a bit to get the halogen high beam up where it should be. While the Bi-Xenon high beam coverage is very good, the extra halogen illumination at mid-range detracts slightly from long distance visibility. Can't wait to get the other side done, too.

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post

I decided that I will probably go in and shim the projectors down a bit to get the halogen high beam up where it should be. While the Bi-Xenon high beam coverage is very good, the extra halogen illumination at mid-range detracts slightly from long distance visibility. Can't wait to get the other side done, too.
      Can you explain more please? Is it to lower them down vs the mounts or you are messing with shutters? I am asking as I keep thinking about modding the shutters myself as I feel those can be fixed to have wider light displacement, may be wrong but looks like those can be upgraded somehow...

Via the mounting points. Bolting straight in has the beam aimed without much separation from the high beam reflector. It needs the mounting position to be adjusted (tipped) down slightly for the high beam throw from the reflector to be ideal. It's very usable as-is, it's just not exactly right.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast