Pre-facelift xenons to facelift Xenons
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Pre-facelift xenons to facelift Xenons

Hi! All the way from Sweden. I have facelifted the rear of my V50 and now I have everything I need to do the front facelift as well. My car has the original Xenons and the two new facelift headlights are Xenons as well. The plug fits directly on the facelift headlights but there are some differences and they will not work plug and play. I've really searched everywhere but NO ONE seems to have done this before.

So I kindly ask you guys for help in how I should re-wire to get this going 🙂

Thanks for all the help!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by axoskar View Post
      Hi! All the way from Sweden. I have facelifted the rear of my V50 and now I have everything I need to do the front facelift as well. My car has the original Xenons and the two new facelift headlights are Xenons as well. The plug fits directly on the facelift headlights but there are some differences and they will not work plug and play. I've really searched everywhere but NO ONE seems to have done this before.

So I kindly ask you guys for help in how I should re-wire to get this going 🙂

Thanks for all the help!
      This hasn’t been done before because it will be very difficult to get it to work correctly.

The pre-facelift bi-xenon used an external (to the housing) controller called the GDL module to run leveling and ballast monitoring. Post facelift the leveling motors are directly connected to LIN back to the CEM.

I think the only hope is to swap the complete internal harness from the old headlights to the new ones, including motors and connector. You will have to remove the lens to get to the connector, and re-seal with new butyl.

Even so, the ballast on the facelift is integrated with the back case, where as in the original I believe it was in the GDL module and only the ignitor was internal. You will need to retain the original configuration, meaning the integrated ballast from the facelift housings will be unused.

The trickiest part will be the city light LED, but it runs off 12V so you can splice it in to where the 194 bulb was. All the other bulbs should be the same.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Also the internal harness is not part of the official Volvo wiring diagram. Here is a diagram I drew up when I had a facelift housing apart:

https://theeshadow.com/files/S40MY20...headlights.pdf
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you very much for your fine explanation. I guessed it was going this way. I've looked at both headlights last night and compared them and they look almost exactly the same inside so i think as you said to swap the electrical with the plug but also the thing (don't know the English word) that holds the xenon bulb and the igniter. D2S on the old one and D1S on the new one so the are som minor differences there. Do I really need to take the whole unit apart to do this or can in be done from the back?

Thanks again!

Yes, you will have to open the lens. The main connector snaps in from the inside of the housing. IIRC you can pop it loose, but it is blocked from being removed completely by the turn signal reflector which can only be removed out the front (lens) side. It will also be difficult to re-install the leveling motors without access to the carriage from the front.

The projector (what holds the bulb) you do not have to swap - d1s and D2S bulbs are interchangeable. You might have to bend a small tab on the inside of where the bulb goes but it is not a problem. I suggest you keep the facelift projectors, IIRC the optics are better.

See https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/10/18/...r-d4s-d4r-etc/ for details on bending the tab
      Last edited by theshadow27; 06-20-2019 at 11:14 AM.
      Writeups

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements