Aftermarket shift knob options? - m66 6spd manual.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Aftermarket shift knob options? - m66 6spd manual.

Long story short I previously owned a 03 jaguar x type sport, got side swiped and car ended up being totaled. After a short time looking I've gotten myself into a 2005 volvo s40 t5 awd with the m66 6spd (115k). I have been absolutely enjoying the car, very fun to drive while still being civil.

However I have already been wanting to change up the shift knob on the car. The only video I have seen with removing the knob makes it seem like it has some sort of quarter turn locking mechanism? It was hard to tell honestly.

My concern is not being able to run any sort of aftermarket knob, and being stuck with stock (which of course isn't the end of the world).

Is the knob actually threaded and I'm just misleading myself? Or maybe some sort of adapter exists? I can't see this being the only car to have something like this, or the only person to want to change the knob on their s40.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to spending more time on here as my time with car continues.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The knob is a twist lock and not threaded. Apparently some folks have installed aftermarket knobs by cutting off the horizontal pins in the shaft and threading the shaft.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I pressed the pin out and cut M8x1.25 threads into the rod.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jirv0id View Post
      I pressed the pin out and cut M8x1.25 threads into the rod.
      seems like the only real option yeah, thank you for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
      Long story short I previously owned a 03 jaguar x type sport, got side swiped and car ended up being totaled. After a short time looking I've gotten myself into a 2005 volvo s40 t5 awd with the m66 6spd (115k). I have been absolutely enjoying the car, very fun to drive while still being civil.

However I have already been wanting to change up the shift knob on the car. The only video I have seen with removing the knob makes it seem like it has some sort of quarter turn locking mechanism? It was hard to tell honestly.

My concern is not being able to run any sort of aftermarket knob, and being stuck with stock (which of course isn't the end of the world).

Is the knob actually threaded and I'm just misleading myself? Or maybe some sort of adapter exists? I can't see this being the only car to have something like this, or the only person to want to change the knob on their s40.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to spending more time on here as my time with car continues.
      Quarter turn is correct - Push down from the top and you feel it sink slightly, then a gently quarter turn counter clockwise and it'll lift all the way up when you release pressure.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

There are ones with collars with set screws that will fit too- the one I have claims to be a MOMO but I doubt it

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements