Who wants a Volvo P1 specific, WMM safe, HID Retrofit? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      That's cool schwag man...I get paid in a few days so I'll be putting in my order then...

That being said I read through the documentation, and got a good grasp of what I need to do to put them in the stock halogen housings...I am also upgrading my harley's passing lamps to HID's as well since they use the same sort of bulbs (881's and the like) it'll be interesting to see how it works and get some headlights that actually work...

On a side note, the lower half the bulb housing that's connected to the projector lens, it has a piece of metal studded to it that blocks the lower half of the lightbulb housing, leaving the upper half to transmit light to the lens, is this something worth removing while I have it out?
      Last edited by avenger09123; 06-22-2017 at 04:43 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      On a side note, the lower half the bulb housing that's connected to the projector lens, it has a piece of metal studded to it that blocks the lower half of the lightbulb housing, leaving the upper half to transmit light to the lens, is this something worth removing while I have it out?
      Please don't!

That sculpted piece of metal is what produces a low-beam cutoff. Remove it and you'd effectively be running high beams all the time.
      07 V50 T5 AWD | E46 Bi-xenon w/ KBOWE | Projector Info

Quote Originally Posted by Nick0matic View Post
      Please don't!

That sculpted piece of metal is what produces a low-beam cutoff. Remove it and you'd effectively be running high beams all the time.
      +1

It's called a shield, if you want to see what it does there are some examples here: http://theeshadow.com/carmod/JVXdriv...shield_mod.htm

But please don't try to modify it... Not worth it...
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

avenger09123 - as said above, modding it is not advised! But it can give you some perspective on considering bi-xenon projector upgrade. On those, this shield is operated by electromagnet that lowers it down when high-beam is engaged, unleashing the full potential of reflector beam. Worthy upgrade if you drive a lot at night on unlit roads.
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Lmao...ask 1 question get three responses telling you no...you guys must be serious Don't worry the only reason I was asking is because my last set of projectors didn't have it so I was wondering what it was there fore and if it was necessary.

I do realistically want to upgrade to the bi-xenon housings one day when I can pick up a set for cheap.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Lmao...ask 1 question get three responses telling you no...you guys must be serious Don't worry the only reason I was asking is because my last set of projectors didn't have it so I was wondering what it was there fore and if it was necessary.

I do realistically want to upgrade to the bi-xenon housings one day when I can pick up a set for cheap.
      That would actually be pretty weird if you had projectors for low-beam without any shield. Would you be referring to FF (free form) headlamps maybe, that are not actually projectors? What kind of car was it? (curious as always :P)
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

What could this be?

Or maybe a video is more up your ally

Considering the whole thing went together in a couple of hours, I probably should have built this a long time ago...
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Awesome stuff, and moving right along. Ordered some e46 projectors from TRS today. Can't wait for all of this stuff to come in and have some proper night lighting.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Man given your talents I shouldn't be surprised at the nice scope you have in the video...but still, I'm jealous...

Haha that's an old cheap one off eBay don't be too jealous! Been meaning to get a new one for a while now.

I just punched out the production PCB order, which was the last remaining line item.

With 5-day lead time and 2 day ship time should be here sometime by next Wednesday.

This s***s about to get real

BTW the test bench is too much fun...
      Writeups

So rather than twiddle my thumbs waiting for the PCBs to come, I've been trying to consolidate all of the info from all of the various threads across all of the various forums, as well as some pics/stuff that I never got around to hosting, all into one place: https://www.skbowe.com/a/issues/
      It's pretty rough at the moment, if anyone is bored and wants to proof read I'd be most appreciative

My objective is to provide as much information as possible, without the "jdsr response"
      Quote Originally Posted by jdsr917 View Post
      What LOL i do not understand not one thing on this page
      When the SKBOWEs sell out I'll move the page back to the old thread, but for now it's so much easier to edit in wordpress (drag and drop images, real WYSIWYG editor).
      Writeups

Just read that whole page. It is laid out very well and easy to understand for those who want to know the gritty details. I also appreciate the history bits. Thank you very much for all your efforts on this. It is incredible.

Totally agree on the CANBUS terminology. That always drove me crazy. What?! Do they think we are that stupid? These are connecting to bulb wires, not the CAN wires at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

Edit: It turned out to be an honest mixup - the dude called me this AM to explain that the system glitched and a guy in Pennsylvania got my order. They overnighted him a label (not sure why not email?) and he overnighted it to me. Glad this rant ended here and I didn't pass it on to them!

Regarding the issues with production PCBs, as it turns out, it was actually an honest mixup. The dude called me this morning and explained the situation. The order really did go to the wrong place, they sent the guy a label and he did overnight it to me. Like I said, the SKBOWE is going out on time one way or another.

Having some problems with the PCB fab house... Didn't realize that ExpressPCB got bought by Sunstone in 2015, when apparently they quietly dropped phone support. WTF

The original order said that boards would ship out in 5 days from June 25th - great, no worries. But on Friday the 30th the tracking never came. Emailed support at COB EST and got "no problem, boards are done, will ship tonight and be there by Wednesday. 2 business days, I get it, fine. But on Wed afternoon still no tracking! Emailed again and same dude (not sure why you have a customer management system if it's one guy) writes back "Your order is shipping out today but UPS does not pick up for another hour to an hour 1/2. Tracking emails will be sent out at that time." *sigh* ok. But 5 hours later, still no tracking... Now I'm mad. Wrote a slightly more pointed response to which I got, and I literally quote, "After investigating this we found the UPS system glitched and sent your order to the wrong address. " What? UPS glitched? The king of logistics?! and "Your order is being sent to you next day air today from Pennsylvania. You will have your order tomorrow" with a tracking number. It's Now 30 minutes to COB PST and that tracking number has not shown up in UPS nor their online management system...

On the one hand, I'd like to believe that this was all an honest mixup and that the boards will magically be here tomorrow.

On the other, I really hate when suppliers **** with me, and there is about to be some social-media-trashing, BBB-complaining, visa-disputing, small-claims recovering, scorched earth type **** going down if they are not.

If they are not here tomorrow I will put in a same-day turn around with Advanced Circuits and worry about the extra $1200 later. It might be cutting it close but the SKBOWE is going out on time one way or another.
      Last edited by theshadow27; 07-08-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Deleted rant
      Writeups

It's been a productive day... Look what came!

Got to mess with the potting stuff:

Pair SN #002 complete:

Lots more pics at https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/07/07/...he-fun-begins/. Should get things rocking and rolling this weekend. It's taking longer than I thought to solder, and my first try potting took nearly an hour. This will cut down some if I do a bunch at once.

Wish me luck...
      Writeups

Great I am ready to start my HID upgrade I'd like to use your SKBOWE will it work with a "Relay Harness" ?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
      Great I am ready to start my HID upgrade I'd like to use your SKBOWE will it work with a "Relay Harness" ?
      The purpose of the SKBOWE is that you don't need a relay harness - HIDs can safely run off the headlight circuits directly, and maintain full functionality of the "Bulb Failure" warning (i.e. no warning during normal operation, but still comes on if the HID fails).

But if you really want to use it, it will work (though it costs about 5x more than a relay harness anti-buzz capacitor). If use use a SKBOWE (or other anti-buzz) + Relay Harness You will still have the "Bulb Out Warning" on the dashboard all of the time. See https://www.skbowe.com/a/issues/#other_options for more information on relay harnesses.
      Writeups

I just finished reading your Volvo P1 HID retrofit issues, Great write up! I'll order the SKBOWE from your WEB site this makes the conversation very easy, I just need to find a pair of BMW E46 projects, blubs, and ballasts

Hey Jacob! If you need a hand putting them together, I live in MD and can take a trip south one of these weekends. Amazing effort you've put into making this happen.

Hey Jacob! If you need a hand putting them together, I live in MD and can take a trip south one of these weekends. Amazing effort you've put into making this happen.
      Thanks Nick! The first batch need to be done by Friday, but you're welcome to come hang out and play with the test bench or ballasts or vacuum pump Besides, I wouldn't be able to pay you or anything - If I sell out of batch 1 I'll only be out $1300 (in the red) which is why I do engineering not finance . With any luck I can sell all of batch 2, which should leave me about at about -$200 total lol.

The PCBs are actually going together pretty quick once I got a system going. Did the one, then 5; now I'm halfway through the last 20.

Last edited by theshadow27; 07-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.
      Writeups

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post
      Thanks Nick! The first batch need to be done by Friday, but you're welcome to come hang out and play with the test bench or ballasts or vacuum pump Besides, I wouldn't be able to pay you or anything - If I sell out of batch 1 I'll only be out $1300 (in the red) which is why I do engineering not finance . With any luck I can sell all of batch 2, which should leave me about at about -$200 total lol.

The PCBs are actually going together pretty quick once I got a system going. Did the one, then 5; now I'm halfway through the last 20.

Not interested in getting paid, but cool stuff for cool stuff's sake is reason enough to pay a visit. If batch two needs more hands, even better.

Not interested in getting paid, but cool stuff for cool stuff's sake is reason enough to pay a visit. If batch two needs more hands, even better.
      Yeah after 11 hours today, I am down with anything you want to do for the next batch. I am wiped.

Actually, if you have time, I would love to have a E46 writeup that actually works (Kyle's photo bucket is broken). Seems like 50% or more of those who ordered one are trying to do this, and I know you said it wasn't trivial...
      Writeups

Yeah after 11 hours today, I am down with anything you want to do for the next batch. I am wiped.

Actually, if you have time, I would love to have a E46 writeup that actually works (Kyle's photo bucket is broken). Seems like 50% or more of those who ordered one are trying to do this, and I know you said it wasn't trivial...
      Let me know when you need an assembly line and I can be there. Next weekend or whenever your parts shipments come in.

On the thread thing, I'll put together some text, but I may have to disassemble one of my headlights or do a retro for someone else to get better photos. The main difficulty - as I said a bunch - is if you have igniters integrated into the bulb holder.

My secondary objective right now is just loading up on OEM E46 projectors from Audis/Minis/Mercedes and such. Make it easy to source a pair without worrying about quality.

If my writeup helps anyone, you are welcome to use it/ direct anyone to it / whatever, althought its a bit "DYI" version of wiring. The E46 montage and connection though should be universal for most types.

Let me know when you need an assembly line and I can be there. Next weekend or whenever your parts shipments come in.

On the thread thing, I'll put together some text, but I may have to disassemble one of my headlights or do a retro for someone else to get better photos. The main difficulty - as I said a bunch - is if you have igniters integrated into the bulb holder.

My secondary objective right now is just loading up on OEM E46 projectors from Audis/Minis/Mercedes and such. Make it easy to source a pair without worrying about quality.
      Lizards's pics are good enough, no need to disassemble your lights. So your suggestion is to go AMP connector -> D2S adapter? That actually makes it a lot easier to provide a parts list since the install is 99% the same between H7/H11/D2S. If you are good with that I'll make that the official install guidance.

The capacitors have a 15 week lead time, so they should be here late September/early October (not next week).

That's an awesome idea with gathering up legit E46 projectors, though there will be legwork involved because it looks like the online market has been picked clean. There are a ton of junkyards around here if you have the time to check them out. Ideally we could put together a package of ballast/bulb + projector + skbowe ready to go. Maybe even include the high-beam adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      If my writeup helps anyone, you are welcome to use it/ direct anyone to it / whatever, althought its a bit "DYI" version of wiring. The E46 montage and connection though should be universal for most types.
      Perfect - we may need to change up some of those wiring pics though lol. So the H7 lights come with HB3 high beams (not 9005)?
      Writeups

Perfect - we may need to change up some of those wiring pics though lol. So the H7 lights come with HB3 high beams (not 9005)?
      Heh, wiring was best possible for non-SKBOWe times :P You can photoshop them if needed :P but probably making new ones with dedicated wiring is better. H7 lights do come with HB3 bulbs indeed BUT from what I know HB3 = 9005 , just the different naming for various continents.

Lizards's pics are good enough, no need to disassemble your lights. So your suggestion is to go AMP connector -> D2S adapter? That actually makes it a lot easier to provide a parts list since the install is 99% the same between H7/H11/D2S. If you are good with that I'll make that the official install guidance.

The capacitors have a 15 week lead time, so they should be here late September/early October (not next week).

That's an awesome idea with gathering up legit E46 projectors, though there will be legwork involved because it looks like the online market has been picked clean. There are a ton of junkyards around here if you have the time to check them out. Ideally we could put together a package of ballast/bulb + projector + skbowe ready to go. Maybe even include the high-beam adapter.
      If the objective is less drilling/cutting, then basic HV amp wiring is probably best, especially since that's what most internet ballasts use. I hate the HV wiring so I prefer the integrated igniters (like the factory setup or morimoto D2S igniters).

Drilling a hole for a grommet is easy, and a few "best practices" for hole location can cover it (so people don't waste dust covers like me). The integrated igniters are more effort and need a cleverer solution, but the only guidance is a "what problems to expect" and "where to dremel/cut", since you can tackle it in any number of ways.

On the projector side, yeah it's a lot of dumpster diving, but that's half the fun Most newer Bosch projectors are also 2-wire actuated, so plug straight into the high beam and it works.

PM me an IM solution if you have one, by the way. Not a big fan of typing on mobile Swedespeed lol.

Got started potting today... Man that's a messy PITA... Wife took pics if you are interested in the process:

The 0.45 gallon ($120!) kit only did 20 pairs (40 units). Ordered another kit should be here Thursday. Will not affect pre-order ship date.
      Writeups

Hi Shadow, First thanks for doing this, I've loved following all your previous threads on this topic over the years.

With that said, I tried to click on the buy link on your website; it just takes me to my homepage on Paypal. It doesn't seem matter which batch I choose.

Am I missing something?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisasdf View Post
      Hi Shadow, First thanks for doing this, I've loved following all your previous threads on this topic over the years.

With that said, I tried to click on the buy link on your website; it just takes me to my homepage on Paypal. It doesn't seem matter which batch I choose.
      Thanks for letting me know. It looks like I inadvertently mucked up the PayPal code the last time I edited the quantity remaining - it is apparently very sensitive to line breaks inside of their form.

Should be working now - PM me your browser info if you are still having problems.
      Writeups

I can confirm it is working again, thanks for the help!

Rough stab at install guide is up: https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/07/13/...initial-draft/

My original Pre-KBOWE was still working, but I figured I should be the first guinea pig. Super easy to install, 15 minutes max (not including HID install). Took longer to take out the original KBOWE...

I will include two stainless M8x1.25 nuts, four 8-inch zip-ties, and a piece of 80-grit sand paper with each order so all you technically need is a 1/2" or 13mm wrench. You can totally do a better job, and if anyone wants to take better pictures I'll gladly use them for the "official" install guide
      Writeups

"...if you can’t figure out how to get your headlights out of a P1 car please return your SKBOWE..."

lol yeah that was once I realized how long it would take to go over each step...

But nobody has any suggestions for the install guide? Because that determines how long I cut the wires tomorrow. Based on that the final #s are looking like:

12" - input from headlight
      6" - output to ballast
      9" - ground braid

Just so there isn't a ton of extra wire back there. Thoughts?
      Writeups

Fine then.

One down, 51 to go.

Wish me luck...
      Writeups

Just want to thank you for doing this for the community Jacob. Just got my shipping confirmation. You put your money where your mouth was and delivered on all promises. THANK YOU.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast