Who wants a Volvo P1 specific, WMM safe, HID Retrofit? - Page 6
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
      Heavy rain+hard turn+guardrail-good suspension/too much weight transfer= new bumper cover and pass headlight assembly. Mechanically it seems fine. Hopefully its just cosmetic.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rhags138 View Post
      Heavy rain+hard turn+guardrail-good suspension/too much weight transfer= new bumper cover and pass headlight assembly. Mechanically it seems fine. Hopefully its just cosmetic.
      Bummer... fingers crossed on an easy fix. At least you could see it right?
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Ha

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7890 View Post
      I thought of this, but they are closeout items. Do you think they'd care at that point? I guess maybe if I contact them, they may at least be aware of the issue and have a possible solution! Thanks for the idea!
      TRS seem to be reputable enough so its no harm to give it a shot. If you send them a pic from good one and compare to bad one, and explain you tried the bulb swap and you are confident its the actual projector issue, I would expect them to exchange them without a word. Plus you should have statutory right to return/exchange the item if bought online, atleast thats what we have in EU .

theshadow27 - I agree that it is not a full term solution, its probably worth to highlight that for everybody reading it - it is possible the original "inventor" of this method used it only to test the allignment and for R&D purpose only, using a proper material afterwards - no clue. But yep - kids! - dont put carton juice in your headlamps unless you just test the bulb allignment :P
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Ok Shadow, I'm down for an skbowe from your next run I've been doing some projector shopping and am starting to put the pieces of my project together.

Just an observation, but there seems to be a slight difference between your projector identification chart and Nick's rundown post on AL projectors , which is not all "Gen1" projectors are 3-wire. I've seen a few newer ones (ex. 2007) that are 2-wire and have plastic reflector housings. I think Nick's definition of a "Gen2" revolves more around the aluminum housing with integrated bulb holders (octagon) found on even later model years. I know, potayto, potahto lol.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis (coming soon)
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - wifemobile
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package - my dd
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, - daughter
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      Just an observation, but there seems to be a slight difference between your projector identification chart and Nick's rundown post on AL projectors , which is not all "Gen1" projectors are 3-wire. I've seen a few newer ones (ex. 2007) that are 2-wire and have plastic reflector housings. I think Nick's definition of a "Gen2" revolves more around the aluminum housing with integrated bulb holders (octagon) found on even later model years. I know, potayto, potahto lol.
      90% of that chart came from Nicks input, pretty sure we are on the same page. There are no OEM 3" AL Bi-Xenon projectors with plastic reflectors - just aftermarket / repo.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

You're right, they're not plastic. Whatever metal they are (some kind of lightweight cast?) sort of threw me off because they're plated all over, inside and out, except for the inside of the bulb holder, so I thought they might be plastic. This is on the OEM BMW E46 projectors I picked up. All the aluminum housing projectors I've seen are not plated that way, and some seem slightly corroded (not in the bowl however).

Yeah, he's right! I genuinely thought the gen 1's had some different underlying material because most of the replicas felt like plastic, but there is in fact aluminum under there. I don't even think the alloy is different between gen 1 and 2, but something in the casting process is different enough that Bosch felt they didn't need to vapor deposit the whole thing to a nice reflective finish.

Beachnut is right about the 3-wire thing though. For instance, there are some later-year gen 1s that are 2-wire. They're basically an edge case, but wire count does not define the projector "version," just the bowl/bulb holder type. Or at least that's what I was going by.
      07 V50 T5 AWD | E46 Bi-xenon w/ KBOWE | Projector Info

Quote Originally Posted by Nick0matic View Post
      Or at least that's what I was going by.
      AFAIK there was no prior (public) classification system for AL projectors so your post *is* the definition and you are the authority so it's your call.

Gen1.5?
      Writeups

Yep Nick, I bought that guy's other Caddie 2-wire projectors today. Will get them next week. He had a set w/o the ignitors, but it had the holders, and based on this other auction I felt like I could get a D2S ring and bulb on them without any mods, plus I got a 2-wire, so no controller. Too bad I already bought Wolstentech controllers ... learning by fire lol. I'll probably just put the beemer projectors and controllers up for sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      Yep Nick, I bought that guy's other Caddie 2-wire projectors today. Will get them next week. He had a set w/o the ignitors, but it had the holders, and based on this other auction I felt like I could get a D2S ring and bulb on them without any mods, plus I got a 2-wire, so no controller. Too bad I already bought Wolstentech controllers ... learning by fire lol. I'll probably just put the beemer projectors and controllers up for sale here.
      Those are just bulb holders that fit onto the bowls, so I'm at least 50% certain that your typical D2S rings should work. Haven't held a D1S gen 1 in my hand to confirm, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post
      AFAIK there was no prior (public) classification system for AL projectors so your post *is* the definition and you are the authority so it's your call.

Gen1.5?
      Don't think it matters that much, lol. We got 2-wire, 3-wire, Gen 1, and Gen 2.

Well, I don't think there's any 3-wire Gen2's. I like the classifications you developed though, it helped me a lot, and others too I'm sure. IMO it's probably enough to accept that there were some Gen1's with 2-wire, but the rest is the same with some slight differences in bulb mounting. Seems like the year-break for 2-wire solenoid *might* be around 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      TRS seem to be reputable enough so its no harm to give it a shot. If you send them a pic from good one and compare to bad one, and explain you tried the bulb swap and you are confident its the actual projector issue, I would expect them to exchange them without a word.
      TRS was great! They sent me a complete new projector. This fixed the corona and now the output is nice and even!
      2005 S40 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7890 View Post
      TRS was great! They sent me a complete new projector. This fixed the corona and now the output is nice and even!
      Good stuff! :}
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Got the shipping notification on the backordered capacitors! Looks like they are coming early
      Writeups

Great news! Now you need some more orders ... c'mon people!

If you tell me they'll work on my P3 S80 I'll get another pair. I'm sure they will, it's actually the whole lens popping, retrofitting, customizing, projectorizing (not actually a word) a halogen reflector assembly that I'm not so sure about.

There have been a couple of Batch 2 orders already, but yeah need about 20 more

What I am most surprised at is how few installs I've seen. Is everyone just sitting on your SKBOWEs waiting for me to get hit by a bus so you can resell them for a huge profit? lol
      Writeups

Well, not really an install yet ... but I am gearing up

There have been a couple of Batch 2 orders already, but yeah need about 20 more

What I am most surprised at is how few installs I've seen. Is everyone just sitting on your SKBOWEs waiting for me to get hit by a bus so you can resell them for a huge profit? lol
      I wasn't but now I am

'10 s40 m66 awd
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Shameless plug...have 3 matched sets of gen 2 projectors. Dusty, but otherwise perfect. Thought I'd have found more of them (and more easily) by now, but I still keep an eye out. PM if you're interested. Gotta gauge interest before I start having shelves full of projectors.

Caps got here early so I got a head start...

Going to try to get orders placed before midnight shipped out tomorrow. I'm traveling for the rest of the month, so if you have procrastinated you'll have to wait till I get back in October...
      Writeups

Been running your SKBOWE since the first batch. E46 with 5500k morimotos and wired the flaps. Great job dude. Had zero issues yet!
      2007 S40 T5 AWD with Dynamic Trim/Fogs.
      Mods:
      Custom Catback 2.5" straight-pipe dual exhaust with chrome tips, Elevate Cone Intake w/ ECU Mount, E-Focus mount, Dr Jonez Stability Control Mod
      Cosmetic: OEM Aluminum Roof Racks, 35% Tint, Yellow Painted Calipers, Prancing Moose Decals, Custom Sweden Euro Plate with 'Need4Swede'

Quote Originally Posted by SirScarFace View Post
      Been running your SKBOWE since the first batch. E46 with 5500k morimotos and wired the flaps. Great job dude. Had zero issues yet!

Glad to hear it.

FWIW I haven't heard of any issues so far - though only a few folks have confirmed installation (I think you're the third?). Slackers...

I have set #002 in my car (wouldn't have anyone to do something I wasn't willing to do myself) and I dare say according to the butt dyno it works better than the original KBOWE (c. 2009).

Four orders shipping out tomorrow - you know who you are
      Writeups

I've been having weird issues with mine lately. Worked great with a cheap kensun setup (just wanted cheap, quick and dirty.) The kensuns flickered, but still better than stock halogen. Then I got morimoto ballasts and ds2 bulbs. Passenger side worked great. When I swapped out the Kensun kit on the driver side for the morimoto, I got no ignition on the bulb. Swapped everything on the other side to see if it was a bad ballast or igniter, and still no dice. Pop the cheap kensun kit back in and it works fine. Now the passenger side randomly goes out and I get the BOW. Going to resand the ground points and see if it is just a bad ground. Maybe I didn't sand as well as I thought. Hard to tell with a light silver car. It might not even later now though (a little off topic) as I am hearing a loud ratcheting sound under light throttle and am getting jerky acceleration. Off to the shop it goes tomorrow. Worst case scenario I will have a e46, skbowe, morimoto kit for sale and will no longer be a member of the volvo community. The wife has been eyeing the CX-5

So if I understand right on one side only, neither Morimoto works, but the crap ballast + rebased works fine?

Did you move the igniter with the ballast when swapping sides? With as much trouble as Nick had with his morimoto setup, it's very unlikely that it's a bad SKBOWE (but worst case lifetime warranty).

Ratcheting noise doesn't sound good... Hope it's not too serious. I hadn't expected anyone to be looking to sell this quickly, was thinking eventually I'd set up a buyback + CPO program since they are so expensive (and time consuming) to make.
      Writeups

Yeah, everything works fine on the pass side, minus the occasional BOW now. Only the cheap kensun works on the drivers side. I didn't start getting the BOW until I tried to install the other morimoto ballast. Even with the first ballast install, I had to plug/unplug the power input from the ballast several times before it stopped going out after 30sec. I probably just have to fiddle around with it more........after I get the mechanic's diagnosis.

Whoa non of that sounds like working fine... Did you send me an email that I missed?

Going out after 30 seconds is usually DRL thing - your LSM is in Position II right? Either that or bad connections somewhere. The ground is for WMM protection, shouldn't cause or affect any of those symptoms.
      Writeups

No, you didn't miss an email. It is in Pos II. It resolved after I fiddled with the ballast a while(5 min) I figured it was just the ballast "learning" the system. Didn't think anything of it until it started happening again after I tried to install the other ballast(I had the kensun on the drivers side and morimoto on the pass side. The kensun still flickered but the morimoto was fine. That was good for 2+ weeks until I tried to install the 2nd morimoto ballast.

Ok, well, if you do get to playing with it, check the HV (single pin) connectors too - they are notoriously finicky. I've found tightly setting a 4" zip tie around the barrel where the latch is to hold it closed (you'll see what I mean, only fits in one place) helps fro some reason. Also check / re-seat the Morimoto ignitor connectors, and make sure nothing is pulling too tightly at a weird angle with them. Oh and look for fraying insulation inside the headlight housing, make sure there isn't anything funky going on at the H11 connector.
      Writeups

Hmm, should I be wary of Morimoto stuff? I was planning on getting AMP XB35 ballasts/igniters with 90' AMP>D2S pigtails, and a set of ZKW-R lenses. I also have a new (very good used) set of headlight assemblies, which not only have much better looking lenses inside & out, but no internal wire fraying. Both my original assemblies were really awful. Even though I've fixed them all up neatly with cloth harness tape the new lights give me the ability to retrograde easily if needed.

The Morimoto ballasts themselves seem decent, but their D2S ignitors are cheaply made. Nick had a great idea WRT install that allows the ignitors to be quickly swapped out, and looks much much better when installed

By epoxying the male 4-pin to the cover, and making up a 4-wire harness to the female, it looks totally stock when installed. I also picked up a spare set of housings, and will write up this method with nice pictures when I can get around to it.

I think the main thing Morimoto has going for it is their support - TRS is decent WRT warranty claims.

EDIT: Also, with any ballast, but especially the Morimotos, it's critical to mount them so water can't collect in the connectors. Straight down is preferable, if sideways there should be a slight downwards slant. Same with the SKBOWE, the wires should come out of the bottom!

P.S. This sort of discussion is why I wanted to stay out of the ballast recommendation game - none of this has anything to do with the SKBOWE.
      Last edited by theshadow27; 09-19-2017 at 12:03 PM.
      Writeups

Well, spun bearing....so I guess I will be posting a set up on the classifieds.

Don't let the DRL disable hold up your 35W install - just keep LSM in II until you get to it. Every SKBOWE runs a 50W Morimoto kit for 10 minutes on simulated DRL during testing (if it can run that, it can run anything) so nothing will explode ** if it gets switched by accident. It's just not great for any of the stuff long term (especially on a hot day after driving hard, etc), if it was always on DRL it's something like taking the expected life from 20,000 hours to 5,000 hours.

BTW do you know the other dude in Philly?

Edit:

** Depending on you kits wattage and design, running a KBOWE + HID with the LSM in position II might trigger a hidden (silent) short circuit DTC (aka VIDA code) for a headlight circuit out of range low. If this happens, that side will be disabled until you remove the key and restart the car. There will be no warning displayed, and switching from 0 to II while the car is on (or the key is in) will not re-start the ballast. Restarting the car in position 0 will probably result in another error, making it seem like a fuse is blown or something is hooked up wrong. If this happens, take the key out, turn the LSM to II, and restart the car.

...But rather than explain all of that and have to deal with confused people, the "official" guidance is disable DRL.

Hi,

Can you extrapolate a bit on the position II possible error? What kinds of ballast are susceptible to this error? Here in Canada we can't really disable DRL, so I just want to leave it in the II position

Quote Originally Posted by Fwinns View Post
      Hi,

Can you extrapolate a bit on the position II possible error? What kinds of ballast are susceptible to this error? Here in Canada we can't really disable DRL, so I just want to leave it in the II position
      There is no problem leaving LSM in position II.

The only problem comes with LSM in position 0, DRL disable helps if you forget about this. I will soon post info on how to modify LSM connector to make 0=II, as alternate way to ensure no problem if it's set to 0 by mistake.
      Writeups

There is no problem leaving LSM in position II.

The only problem comes with LSM in position 0, DRL disable helps if you forget about this. I will soon post info on how to modify LSM connector to make 0=II, as alternate way to ensure no problem if it's set to 0 by mistake.
      I was referring to the "hidden error" you mentioned, and the light turning off and having to turn off the car to be able to turn it on again. If it happens only with certain HID ballast (brand? wattage?), I just want to avoid buying these and but ones that do not cause any error

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast