SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade...

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  KMK454 
#1 ·
Although I seriously want to upgrade my '05 with Svenske parts I have the same dilemma concerning our Volvo warranties that many in the past have brought forward...but here is a new twist (hopefully).

Common sense tells me that the upgrades many of you are choosing to invest in are safe for moderate state-side highway use, and probably even light/moderate track workouts. Most likely, most of you won't have to concern yourselves with warranty issues, and if you do they will probably be minor and Volvo will probably cover the problems. Unfortunately/fortunately I currently support a US based company and live in Germany.

With that said, I've never upgraded a vehicle before...
and I am choosing not to upgrade because I THINK my autobahn workouts will probably have an effect on the integrity of the system as a whole. If something gives I THINK it'll probably be a big ticket item and I want Volvo to cover the expenses...since it is a performance sedan...So here is my question to the more mechanically experienced guys out there that have been tuning vehicles for years now...AM I SMOKING CRACK!

I really want to allocate some of my money to the Svenske fund...so give me something to work with please...PLEASE REMEMBER, I am inexperienced enough to convey some of this to my household CEO, so PLEASE give me something that will allow me to appear intelligent...at least to my CEO...

Proof that I am serious about testing the performance limits of my vehicle...
...umm, and that I like posting pics of my car...

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, it's all in how you go about it if a failure occurs.

AS LONG AS YOUR CAR IS IN GOOD OPERATING CONDITION, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, that said...

If something were to go wrong...

Always keep the stock parts for re-installation before taking the car back to the dealer (in the case of something catastrophic).

However, from the pictures (great BTW)... if a dealer WANTS to find an excuse to void your warranty, he CAN.

You've lowered your car. Some dealers are such jerks that this single act alone is enough to get you voided if your engine explodes on a STOCK configuration.

Others are more forgiving.

Rules of fun:

1) Don't go insane
2) Develop a good relationship with your dealer
3) Be Smart about how you upgrade/troubleshoot/report to dealer if you do have a problem.

And then enjoy a faster, better driving experience

R.

#3 ·
Re: (Svenske Racing)

Here's what I would suggest.

It appears you've already lowered your car -- so go ahead and add those sway bars while you're at it. That will give you the biggest handling improvement (which you'll really appreciate at the track). Neither of those items could void the warranty: there is NO difference between our cars being lowered 1" versus having a full load in a stock car at all times. So springs and sway bars aren't warranty issues.

Where things get into the really grey area are with ECU modifications. If you are REALLY concerned with warranty coverage (and you've expressed you are), I'd suggest the following:

WAIT for Svenske to release their softloader. That way you can load your software, and then UNLOAD it for dealer visits, and Volvo will be none the wiser.

Go ahead and get the 3" downpipe and cat-back exhaust. Those items do nothing to affect the engine from a warranty standpoint, so they can't void your warranty on those items.

There are a few more things you could do that would be "safe" modifications. Contact me via email or IM if you want some more info.

#4 ·
Re: (R Salesman)

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »

Go ahead and get the 3" downpipe and cat-back exhaust. Those items do nothing to affect the engine from a warranty standpoint, so they can't void your warranty on those items.

Suggest you have a discussion with you Service Manager on his and his Regional Area Rep views on exhaust mods. My Service Manager has no problems with exhaust mods, but he has warned me if there is any engine warranty problem requiring his Regional Area Rep intervention (cost higher than $1500) then the Area Rep will use the exhaust mod as a warranty violation.

Doug H

#5 ·

The car in the pics is completely stock. Ironically, I even had to correct a German mechanic, because he thought I lowered it to. I think the factory body kit kind-of gives it that lowered appearance... but in the defense of my mechanic, the body kit is not an option for the Germans.

However, with all of that said, I wouldn't mind lowering it, but the damn warranty issue has plagued me there to...

FYI Richard, I really like the way your Stage II looks... I am assuming that if I purchase that it would pretty much end my warranty concerns, considering I am ASSUMING that I wouldn't have one anymore...What are your thoughts???

#6 ·

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
WAIT for Svenske to release their softloader. That way you can load your software, and then UNLOAD it for dealer visits, and Volvo will be none the wiser.

Actually, everytime the ECU is flashed or reset the black box logs it in memory. Most dealers will never check this, except for extreme circumstances or just random curiousity. I bet some don't even know how to check the black box...

My advice would be to do what you feel comfortable with. If you're going to be sweating your new parts all the time, don't do it.

I believe all of the products currently available are safe and soundly engineered for the cars. They won't cut your car's life in half... iPD has been flashing ECUs for years, and many of their cars have high miles. Svenske has done extensive testing and even ran his car at Watkins Glen.

But remember, if you play the game, understand all the consequences before you make that decision...

#9 ·
Re: (KMK454)

Tell you all the truth; I am getting frustrated thinking about it...as I am sure a lot of you have.

Richard, I apologize in advance for this stupid question, but if I invested in the Stage II, and ran it like I think you would want it to be ran, what do you think that would do to the life of my engine... In addition, I would think I would need to upgrade my brakes and such to. What are thoughts, and how much would the bill be to get me started in the "right" direction???

#10 ·
No problem... send me an email at

richard@svenskeracing.com and I'll put something together for you.

As for the life of your engine... in a HEALTHY engine... should be pretty good. The new turbo will be larger, so it will not be stressed...

The engine itself has forged internals... so as long as you keep the boost to about 20-21psi, you should be good for many, many miles.

Will it last 200,000? Maybe not.

Will it last 80,000? If I were a betting man, I would take those odds any day.

As we make more HP, we also open up the exhaust to relieve all that pressure. You put an intercooler on, and lower the incoming air temps.

So, while you are making more power... it's not like you are making it with the same stressful restrictions and high IAT temps of a stock car!

#11 ·
Re: (KMK454)

Quote, originally posted by KMK454 »
Actually, everytime the ECU is flashed or reset the black box logs it in memory. Most dealers will never check this, except for extreme circumstances or just random curiousity. I bet some don't even know how to check the black box...

I didn't even know that our cars have black boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.