ordered heated steering wheel for my 2016 xc90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

ordered heated steering wheel for my 2016 xc90

should arrive in a few days. I'll take pics during install. Is programming required? where is the actual button to activate it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some programming needed to activate the feature . It is controlled with the same button that controls the seat heat.

Yes, they will have to add additional software to activate the function and correct it is in the same spot as the driver's heated seat icon. Once you hit the icon, the steering wheel option will also pop up.
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /20" Rims
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sunman View Post
      should arrive in a few days. I'll take pics during install. Is programming required? where is the actual button to activate it?
      Did you have to order a whole new steering wheel or is this just some sort of wiring harness that "activates" it and it's in every steering wheel by default?

What did this run if you don't mind my asking? It's one option I didn't get that I'm wondering if I should have.

I would love to know how you ordered a heated steering wheel after delivery. I live in Chicago and when I took my XC90 in for the PA2 upgrade, the service dept said that a heated steering wheel could not be installed after delivery. Please do tell.

Actually, I can report on this because I just had it done recently.

My folks in October purchased an XC90 Inscription Plus and, uncharacteristically for them (perhaps it's their age, as this is likely the last car they will buy), they made an impulse purchase of a car on the lot. Only later did my mother discover to her chagrin that it didn't have the heated steering wheel that she really wanted. We were also told by the salesman that a heated steering wheel could not be retrofit.

Tured out that was bad information. While perusing the Volvo site I read through the XC90 accessories and came across, natch, a heated steering wheel offered as an accessory! So I read through as much information as they had (which included a .pdf of the installation instructions) and called the service department to confirm that it was possible. They actually took the time to look it up, and while they said they had never done it before, it could be done. So I had them order the part, which took about a week to come in.

Being the anal kind of person I am, I also reached out to Volvo USA to see whether the Volvo lifetime parts warranty would apply to it, or if only the one-year accessory warranty. Alas, only the accessory warranty applies.

Anyway, shortly before Christmas I borrowed my mother's car on the pretext that I needed to haul some bulky items and instead took it into the dealer. They installed the wheel and updated the software (when you press the heated seat icon the heated wheel icon will appear above the seat). Took a few hours, but they gave me a loaner.

EDIT: Based on what I've read in another post, this may not be possible if you have an R-design with the paddle shifters. This is pure speculation on my part, but having read through the installation instructions I wonder if the input for the paddle shifters goes through the same outlet that the heated steering wheel would use. Also, here's a link to the accessory page: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-491445/2017

Needless to say, my mother was tremendously surprised at her Christmas present!

It's not cheap -- IIRC the steering wheel is just shy of $500 and installation is about the same. If you get Volvo accessory promotions in the mail you can save 10 percent on the price of the wheel itself.
      Last edited by Norwegian Blue; 12-30-2016 at 09:59 AM.

i mean $500 for the wheel and installation is not bad.

An aftermarket heated wheel for the S7 is 1100-1500.

But thanks for the info! glad to know people can grab this (sans R design folk) if they want to. Highly recommended, the heating elements really get nice and toasty.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
      i mean $500 for the wheel and installation is not bad.

An aftermarket heated wheel for the S7 is 1100-1500.

But thanks for the info! glad to know people can grab this (sans R design folk) if they want to. Highly recommended, the heating elements really get nice and toasty.
      Unfortunately, it's about $500 for the wheel and installation, each. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Just shy of $1k total.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Blue View Post
      Unfortunately, it's about $500 for the wheel and installation, each. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Just shy of $1k total.
      yeah! that's a great deal. Just to buy the damn wheel for the S7 cost 1100, a heated one cost like 1700? getting alcantara was like 2300. Install also required a different air bag canister depending on wheel type.

Thankfully Volvo made this as an option for add on AND it's pretty nicely priced.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

Did anyone else get this accessory installed? I'm thinking of ordering it when there's an accessories promotion... pity I didn't get it from factory...long story

Having issues with the software right now at the dealership. UGH!
      2016 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Style
      2013 Q7 S-Line Prestige (sold)
      2010 BMW MT 535iX, Miro 111 (Stage 1 BMS JB4 upcoming...) (sold)
      2008 A4 Avant 2.0T, MT, Stage 2+ (AWE Tuning, Koni FSD/Eibach), BBS CK (sold)
      2004 Volvo V70R MT, Flash Green/Atacama (sold)
      2004 VW Touareg 4.2L V8, 19" AHTEO's
      1998 A4 Avant 2.8L MT (sold)
      1995 90 Cs Quattro MT (sold)

I'll have a black heated steering wheel for sale in the near future from my 20k mile T8 Inscription. PM if interested, located in Florida.

Just got this done and WOW, it's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
      Just got this done and WOW, it's glorious.
      What was the issue at the dealer?
      Hers: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD - Momentum - White/Black [OSD May-2018]
      Mine: 2018 Audi A6 2.0T Quattro - Premium Plus - White/Brown
      Also Mine: 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 - Soft Top - White/Black

Quote Originally Posted by asaldworth View Post
      What was the issue at the dealer?
      It sounded like a software issue - there were supposedly three of them and one went through initially but the other two stalled. Regardless, after about 30 mins, the guy came back and said everything was fine. This is $1,000 well spent if you ask me, it's already getting chilly at night here in NY and it works very well.

It sounded like a software issue - there were supposedly three of them and one went through initially but the other two stalled. Regardless, after about 30 mins, the guy came back and said everything was fine. This is $1,000 well spent if you ask me, it's already getting chilly at night here in NY and it works very well.
      We have the non-heated steering wheel on the 2017 and the heated steering wheel on the 2021. I don't anticipate using it much at all here in Phoenix. But I like the feel of the heated steering wheel so much that I'm considering buying the heated steering wheel for the 2017 just for the feel. No need to install the heated function.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner511 View Post
      We have the non-heated steering wheel on the 2017 and the heated steering wheel on the 2021. I don't anticipate using it much at all here in Phoenix. But I like the feel of the heated steering wheel so much that I'm considering buying the heated steering wheel for the 2017 just for the feel. No need to install the heated function.

I actually loved the R-Design steering wheel and paddles but would swap that for heat any day of the week. I think my brand new steering wheel just needs to be broken in a bit as it still feels a bit "stiff"

I actually loved the R-Design steering wheel and paddles but would swap that for heat any day of the week. I think my brand new steering wheel just needs to be broken in a bit as it still feels a bit "stiff"
      Have you seen the Heico sport steering wheel? Never have seen it in person, but this caught my eye. Especially with the alcantara. Very pricey and the paddle shifters are required. But once you send in the old steering wheel, $300 is refunded for the core charge.

https://www.vivaperformance.com/heic...v90-xc60-xc90/

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements