How to: Volvo XC90 3.2 Transmission Flush + VIDA/DiCE fluid reset
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How to: Volvo XC90 3.2 Transmission Flush + VIDA/DiCE fluid reset

http://www.timthurber.com/volvo-xc90...-80sc-6-speed/

Hello everyone, I just posted a DIY. This topic has been brought up many times and has been documented well, but I'm adding my own to the mix.

Just wanted to share.

Happy new year!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Super comprehensive write-up, thanks for taking the time to produce this!
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 200k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 130k

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Super comprehensive write-up, thanks for taking the time to produce this!
      Sure thing! I know a few folks have already demonstrated the mechanical side of this job - I wanted to focus moreso VIDA/DiCE aspect since that topic doesn't usually get much coverage.

One other thing I'm doing is getting a transmission fluid analysis done at Blackstone Labs. I sent a sample of my original 82,000-mile-old ATF off to them to see just how "lifetime" this fluid really is. My version of Mythbusters, I suppose. I'll post my results sheet here when I get it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Nice write up on procedure, all in one place.
      Curious on drain ATF analysis.
      After paying a Volvo dealership to change the fluid, ~$300, and finding it low by 28 ounces, I question if the fluid counter was reset.
      Last edited by bugeye; 01-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Awesome write up. Gives me confidence to do mine. Although mine has 173k km on it and is shifting fine. Mine is the V8 (07 and transmission serial 06j ) so no dramas with dodgy VB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyril View Post
      Awesome write up. Gives me confidence to do mine. Although mine has 173k km on it and is shifting fine. Mine is the V8 (07 and transmission serial 06j ) so no dramas with dodgy VB.
      Interestingly enough, after I did the fluid swap and leveled it with the inner drain plug, the shift quality was still the same. It didn't feel BAD, but it didn't feel amazing either. Just a bit sluggish at times. However, once I reset the fluid counter there was a notable improvement in the shift quality/timing/feel.

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
      Nice write up on procedure, all in one place.
      Curious on drain ATF analysis.
      After paying a Volvo dealership to change the fluid, ~$300, and finding it low by 28 ounces, I question if the fluid counter was reset.
      $300 sounds great especially for a dealer IMO. My local dealer said they couldn't give me an exact quote but it was in the range of $600. I thought that was insane, but if they really upcharge their JSW3309 to something like (20 bucks a quart) x (at least 12 quarts) = that makes sense. Either way, I was in the hole about $100 for all the necessary stuff to do the job. Not bad for a procedure that I'll likely only do once on my XC90 (and soon on the V50).

Lifetime fluid it is not. The results would suggest that an early drain-and-fill, say in the first two to three years, might be the most advantageous.

The "~34,000 miles of oil use" reference for the Universal Average is kinda interesting.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 200k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 130k

The oil properties result is interesting for your oil. Looking at the values they all seem to be within the range that the effort suggests they should be.

Thanks for the write-up. I did this on my '04 XC70 which had the AW-55 5 spd in it - much of this was the same except that car had a dipstick, so checking the fluid level wasn't as hard, and also I don't think it had the fluid counter reset like this car does...maybe it did and I didn't know.

Anyway, if you don't mind, what size was the tubing in the IPD kit? Which transmission cooler line did you remove, as I know there is an inflow/outflow line? It looks to me from the pics and the write up you removed the top one and then inserted the tubing into the radiator. Maybe I am missing something here but if you pull the bottom hose you should be able to drain the cooler, connect a section of tubing onto the cooler line, secure it with a zip tie, and then use the same process to drain and fill. Am I missing something?

Which model of VIDA/DiCE did you end up buying? Just checking as there are multiple ones for sale on ebay and didn't want to chance it.

I have a case of Toyota T-IV sitting in the garage waiting to go, but wanted to ask some questions before I went at it full-tilt.

Awesome writeup btw, I would have totally missed the fluid counter reset without you.

Thanks in advance for answering my Q's. Going to totally send off a Blackstone sample as well.

I think it was 3/8" but don't quote me on that. It's whatever came with that kit that i listed the P/N for.

I got a DiCE from computer_psycho on ebay. It has held up for over a year so I'd just recommend that.

Not sure on the AW55, but on the TF-80SC it was the top radiator hose, aka the outflow.

Thanks for the heads-up on the DiCE and where to buy - checking that out today.

I also have the TF-80SC. So, if I am understanding correctly, the flow direction is from the tranny to the radiator/cooler via the bottom line, through the cooler, back to the tranny from the radiator via the top line. (I forgot this from my XC70 ownership from 4+ years ago, please forgive me).

I did the PS this AM, going to do the brake fluid this weekend, and waiting on the DiCE and a Blackstone kit for the transmission flush. Sitting at 75,6XX miles, but I WFH and maybe drive 300 miles a month...maybe, so kinda doing this fluid exchange in shifts and trying to get it all in before 80K. No known issues at the moment, that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by bcumby View Post
      Thanks for the heads-up on the DiCE and where to buy - checking that out today.

I also have the TF-80SC. So, if I am understanding correctly, the flow direction is from the tranny to the radiator/cooler via the bottom line, through the cooler, back to the tranny from the radiator via the top line. (I forgot this from my XC70 ownership from 4+ years ago, please forgive me).

I did the PS this AM, going to do the brake fluid this weekend, and waiting on the DiCE and a Blackstone kit for the transmission flush. Sitting at 75,6XX miles, but I WFH and maybe drive 300 miles a month...maybe, so kinda doing this fluid exchange in shifts and trying to get it all in before 80K. No known issues at the moment, that I know of.
      I believe you are correct on the direction of the fluid flow. I'm not exactly an expert, but what you said lines up with my experience.

I am VERY interested to know what your blackstone analysis results are. Just keep in mind that during a regular oil change they recommend a "mid stream" sample but in this case it could be "contaminated" with newer fluid since it's something akin to a power flush.

Also, I thought about doing the piecemeal drain-and-fill repeatedly, but I realized how much time I'd waste taking all the plastic stuff off, and honestly, I spilled ATF a lot ... moral of the story is, I'd just do it once and knock it out. Too much ancillary work to do it 6x times.

I'm guessing you're an IT guy too. I don't put many miles on my XC90 either

Quote Originally Posted by Swede Emotion View Post
      I believe you are correct on the direction of the fluid flow. I'm not exactly an expert, but what you said lines up with my experience.

I am VERY interested to know what your blackstone analysis results are. Just keep in mind that during a regular oil change they recommend a "mid stream" sample but in this case it could be "contaminated" with newer fluid since it's something akin to a power flush.

Also, I thought about doing the piecemeal drain-and-fill repeatedly, but I realized how much time I'd waste taking all the plastic stuff off, and honestly, I spilled ATF a lot ... moral of the story is, I'd just do it once and knock it out. Too much ancillary work to do it 6x times.

I'm guessing you're an IT guy too. I don't put many miles on my XC90 either

So, I am finally getting around to doing this - I can't get my VIDA/DiCE to work and I bought it from the same guy you did. What was the trick? It continues to direct me to the website where it wants me to enter a username/pwd.

I have the Blackstone containers as well to catch the trans fluid - only thing standing between me and this job is my VIDA setup. Halp?

Yes, I do software consulting from home, so especially vexing problem for a computer guy.

Alright guy - I know you might not get this today, but I finally got VIDA to run on my machine.

I cannot get the Transmission counter to reset and I am not willing to tackle the mechanical side of this until I get the software stuff worked out.

Key is in POSII, but when I click continue, nothing happens. No pop-up, no window, nothing. I have already updated my Java and disabled the pop-up blocker. I am at a huge impasse.

Any help here?

Alright guy - I know you might not get this today, but I finally got VIDA to run on my machine.

I cannot get the Transmission counter to reset and I am not willing to tackle the mechanical side of this until I get the software stuff worked out.

Key is in POSII, but when I click continue, nothing happens. No pop-up, no window, nothing. I have already updated my Java and disabled the pop-up blocker. I am at a huge impasse.

Any help here?
      Try clicking the image. I know to put the tranny in adaptive mode you have to click the icon instead of hitting continue. Congrats on getting it up and running! If you're still having problems tomorrow, I'll fire up mine and go through it with you.

Edit: Just read you're an IT guy. We could do a LogMeIn/ phone call and I could walk you through it if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by oneofakind; 04-02-2017 at 01:19 AM.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      Try clicking the image. I know to put the tranny in adaptive mode you have to click the icon instead of hitting continue. Congrats on getting it up and running! If you're still having problems tomorrow, I'll fire up mine and go through it with you.

Edit: Just read you're an IT guy. We could do a LogMeIn/ phone call and I could walk you through it if you'd like.

^^^THANK YOU so much! I eventually broke down and carefully read the instructions (ha - who knew that would help ) and it clearly says "click the VCT2000 IMAGE" - which is what you are saying and what I did and voila! success. It took
      I finished this up yesterday. I only had one small spill, but getting the fluid level just right was a pain in the ass. I did the basic fluid level check (cold) and that was easy, right? Just pop the T40 level check plug out when cold and when it slows to a dribble, put it back in.

I then added a 0.5L and did the warmup procedure for the hot check (between 50-60C), which VIDA made easy because you can continuously monitor the fluid temp. I crawled under there at 53C and popped the level plug and to my suprise, I got a puff of air instead of fluid. I can only surmise that there were air pockets trapped somewhere. So, I added another 1/4 to 1/2 liter and went through this again, this time I crawled under at 52C and pulled the plug, got a nice flow for 2-3 secs and then a dribble, so I closed her back up, refitted the fill plug, reassembled the ACL and snorkel.

I can definitely tell a couple of things - my fluid was original at 76K miles, smelly, and black as night. The car shifts into gear much quieter, the acceleration feels less surgy, and the downshifts are nice and smooth again, as they should be.

The Volvo procedure to disconnect the trans cooler line from the transmission gave me a little angst at first, but it seems to have worked well. I will see once I put some miles on her and verify that line isn't weeping fluid now that the connection has been disturbed, although I pulled the o-ring out, inspected it, and it seemed to seat nicely.

Highly recommend doing this job to any XC owner.

^^^THANK YOU so much! I eventually broke down and carefully read the instructions (ha - who knew that would help ) and it clearly says "click the VCT2000 IMAGE" - which is what you are saying and what I did and voila! success. It took
      I finished this up yesterday. I only had one small spill, but getting the fluid level just right was a pain in the ass. I did the basic fluid level check (cold) and that was easy, right? Just pop the T40 level check plug out when cold and when it slows to a dribble, put it back in.

I then added a 0.5L and did the warmup procedure for the hot check (between 50-60C), which VIDA made easy because you can continuously monitor the fluid temp. I crawled under there at 53C and popped the level plug and to my suprise, I got a puff of air instead of fluid. I can only surmise that there were air pockets trapped somewhere. So, I added another 1/4 to 1/2 liter and went through this again, this time I crawled under at 52C and pulled the plug, got a nice flow for 2-3 secs and then a dribble, so I closed her back up, refitted the fill plug, reassembled the ACL and snorkel.

I can definitely tell a couple of things - my fluid was original at 76K miles, smelly, and black as night. The car shifts into gear much quieter, the acceleration feels less surgy, and the downshifts are nice and smooth again, as they should be.

The Volvo procedure to disconnect the trans cooler line from the transmission gave me a little angst at first, but it seems to have worked well. I will see once I put some miles on her and verify that line isn't weeping fluid now that the connection has been disturbed, although I pulled the o-ring out, inspected it, and it seemed to seat nicely.

Highly recommend doing this job to any XC owner.
      Glad to know you got it all worked out! VIDA can be a real pain at times.

2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Poking around today and noticed something troubling...

The TF-80SC is spec'd for AW-1 fluid, which appears to be different than JWS3309. Anyone know anything definitive? Before I go putting miles on my Xc, want to make sure I didn't totally muff the punt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2579773

Seems everyone doing this flush uses JWS3309/Toyota T-IV.

I know the "fluid debate" is hotly contested - just wanted some feedback before I go on a roadtrip next month...

Sigh.

Poking around today and noticed something troubling...

The TF-80SC is spec'd for AW-1 fluid, which appears to be different than JWS3309. Anyone know anything definitive? Before I go putting miles on my Xc, want to make sure I didn't totally muff the punt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2579773

Seems everyone doing this flush uses JWS3309/Toyota T-IV.

I know the "fluid debate" is hotly contested - just wanted some feedback before I go on a roadtrip next month...

Sigh.
      Be relieved. The factory fluid is just Mobil 3309 rebranded. Which is also Toyota IV. As long as the back details on the bottle say 3309, you're good!

Awesome. So, I consulted VIDA, looks like JWS3309 is everything up to Chassis No 568000, and JWS3324 for everything Chassis No 568001 and up.

I have C/N 566505, so in the clear for Toy T-IV/JWS3309 on my car.

So strange the exact same transmission uses two different fluids based on C/N, and they are not compatible with each other. Weird.

the WS is a much more thinner fluid. So, If you had put that in a car with the shift points and pressure sensors set for the T-IV, it would cause issues.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Awesome. So, I consulted VIDA, looks like JWS3309 is everything up to Chassis No 568000, and JWS3324 for everything Chassis No 568001 and up.

I have C/N 566505, so in the clear for Toy T-IV/JWS3309 on my car.

So strange the exact same transmission uses two different fluids based on C/N, and they are not compatible with each other. Weird.
      Weird. I thought they were the same. Glad to know, and you learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      Weird. I thought they were the same. Glad to know, and you learn something new every day!

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't read it myself.

Those Volvo P/Ns correspond to the different types of fluid...and the IPD site lists the JWS3309 up through 2010 and sells the JWS3324 for 2013-2014...so the chassis break must have happened during the 2011 production run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcumby I have a question. How long did you run it to get to the 52 degrees? Full operating temperature on the gauge?

The reason I ask is that I thought during my next oil change I would try the drain and fill method. 192k kms on her now. Depending on what I find maybe I'll bite the bullet and get the stuff you fellows are talking about to do a complete job.

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements