07 S60R - How to check ATF level?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hello all,

Can you guys tell me how to check the ATF level on this vehicle if possible?
      The reason I'd like to check it because lost some fluid after hitting a curve and replacing the intercoolers along with the radiator and ac condenser.
      Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Right side front under hood WAY down low there is a small plastic cap with a little metal clip holding it in. It's not easy to get to with the r air box. You might need to pull that out of the way. Anyway, pull it out carefully and then when putting back in, make sure it is secured with the clip. Recollection is it's red (or yellow?). Head is the size of a nickel maybe...
      Last edited by ZZZZZZZ; 01-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

car has to be level , running in neutral and warm it is the star bolt in the drain bolt on the bottom

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lush-Procedure
      1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Right side front under hood WAY down low there is a small plastic cap with a little metal clip holding it in. It's not easy to get to with the r air box. You might need to pull that out of the way. Anyway, pull it out carefully and then when putting back in, make sure it is secured with the clip. Recollection is it's red (or yellow?). Head is the size of a nickel maybe...
      Does not apply to 6-speed automatic.
      2004 S60R MT | Sapphire Black | Atacama | Tuned by myself | And a lot more...

Like Dougy said lift up so it's level but have the ATF at the right temp. Then pop open torx while she's running and add fluid until some pours out of hole underneath. Close level plug then add .5-1qt of ATF extra

// '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | All the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

THANKS!
      Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      Like Dougy said lift up so it's level but have the ATF at the right temp. Then pop open torx while she's running and add fluid until some pours out of hole underneath. Close level plug then add .5-1qt of ATF extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Why is 1/2 to 1 quart overfill a good idea?

Aerated from fluid level that puts fluid high enough to be in the planet gear and clutch drums is not good for gearbox. Fluid windage in trans saps HP just like it does in engine.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
      Why is 1/2 to 1 quart overfill a good idea?

Aerated from fluid level that puts fluid high enough to be in the planet gear and clutch drums is not good for gearbox. Fluid windage in trans saps HP just like it does in engine.

Plus I've heard some had issues after a level check and adding .5L so they added a whole qt and solved the issue. 1qt=.946L
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | All the mods | MY BUILD THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post

Plus I've heard some had issues after a level check and adding .5L so they added a whole qt and solved the issue. 1qt=.946L
      aaand it sure works ... especially on auto 6 speed.
      1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

Thank you very much for all the inputs.
      Today when I was connecting all the hoses and lines, I noticed that the bottom transmission line that goes into the radiator is bent and wouldn't go in. I think it is the inlet line which I need to replace.
      It is a push in line and holding by a small screw.
      I am just planning to remove the screw and catch the ATF and add the same amount first then do the level check.
      Is there anything else I need to be aware of to replace this transmission line?

I'm confused. You are just saying to overfill prior to the level setting via the TX40 drain plug?

If not then what is the overfill fixing?
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      2010 XC60 T6 RD

I'm confused. You are just saying to overfill prior to the level setting via the TX40 drain plug?

AFTER you check the level and put the T40 back in.

Why? Because Volvo says to do it but only .5L.

Why else? I think it was Dougy and another user that had issues after a level check and they added a whole QT and solved whatever that issue was, I can't remember. Possibly starting in very cold conditions made the fluid level be lower than usual.

I intend on adding a QT when I level check come spring.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleans View Post
      Is there anything else I need to be aware of to replace this transmission line?
      Nothing really. Just make very much sure you use a new green clip to the radiator.

Hey guys,

Can you please confirm that the filler plug is the one shown with red arrow?

Yep

I have the same LED light too ha

Yes...torx 55, hehe.
      Current: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M & 2002 V70 T5
      Past: 2006 V70R GT

Yes, fill plug at arrow. May be awful tight. Clean plug torx cavity. Use long extensions as necessary to keep torx bit square to plug. May need help to hold extension as helper gently applies pressure with a breaker bar. Plug replacement torque is 22 ft-lb.

The overfill in step 3 is just to ensure that the transmission has more than sufficient fluid for steps 4/5. You are just going to drain it out again.

Now if people add another quart after step 5, that's another thing... Seems excessive.
      '06 V70R

"Like Dougy said lift up so it's level but have the ATF at the right temp. Then pop open torx while she's running and add fluid until some pours out of hole underneath. Close level plug then add .5-1qt of ATF extra"

OK, The way I was reading the above post I interpreted it as adding that extra when you were through with the level check drain. That was what was worrying me.

Yes, the method is to overfill and let extra run out once the fluid is around 50C temp.

If you did the first part of that then there is no need to install the TX40 center plug and add .5 to 1 quart. You have already overfilled and let it run out.
      If it DOES NOT RUN OUT after the initial add and drain then you need to add at least a 1/2 quart and then remove the plug and let it drain.

I cheat and use a suction gun and a fitting I made and push the oil through the TX40 hole once it is out with it running. Not really necessary on R models but some of the others have fill plugs that are a pain to get to. When the TX40 is removed you always get a few drips due to ATF splashing into the level tube. Volvo always has you add some and see a "real" drain to be sure it is not just the splashed amount on a trans that is really not full.

I have current VIDA and have read the current VIDA instructions.
      2010 XC60 T6 RD

Guys, i am planning to check my ATF tomorrow and i dont have any device to read the fluid temperature. How long does it take to reach 50 degrees when outside temperature is about 75F? If anybody can tell me an approximate time, i guess thats what I will do.

I am looking into getting a vida/dice thing to level the ATF. Any recommendations which and where to get it?

You can get a cheap IR thermometer from HF or Amazon for cheap. This will get you close, but not perfect to the actual temp of the trans fluid. If you can live with spending the money on VIDIA. I recommend that as it super useful.
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

Guys, i am planning to check my ATF tomorrow and i dont have any device to read the fluid temperature. How long does it take to reach 50 degrees when outside temperature is about 75F? If anybody can tell me an approximate time, i guess thats what I will do.
      For a stock setup it happens within a few minutes of idling. Water temp will get up to 180-90 with about 10 mins of idling so somewhere there.

You should really do it with a VIDA since ATF expands a lot with temp you want to be exact. Plus you'll have one for future use it's invaluable.

As far as finding one I got mine off Aliexpress a few years ago and it works fine.

If someone doesn't chime in I can look up my version tonight, I'm too busy right now.

I don't know if someone already said but you will need a Windows 7 PRO laptop machine for this, emphasis on Pro version. Or if you have a other 64bit version of Windows and a machine that can support virtualization, you can downlod vida for free via a virtual computer but you'll still need a DICE unit.

I bought a VIDA/DICE unit on amazon for about $85 in the last month or so. Software (2014D) was corrupt, but the DICE unit works great and has the multi-color LEDs which, from what I gather, is the better unit.
      06 V70R Magic Blue

When I did it on 06 VR in the summer, it took 12-15 minutes of idling before trans fluid temp reached 50 C. It went fairly quick from 50 to 60, so if you don't have vida, 12 minutes at 75F should be fine.
      04 V70R Red/Atacama, 100k miles, M66, Rica 2, Elevate DP and sways, JRL mod, 3"CAI, Viva CBV, Heico V's.
      06 V70R Sonicama, 135k miles, GT, MTE stage 2, IPD DP and sways, MTE catback
      07 V70R Titanium/Nordkap, 142k miles, M66, Elevate DP, Heico catback, IPD sways, PDV collar, Heico V's

Thank you all.

Hello guys,

Thanks again for all the inputs here. I checked and levelled the ATF with your tips using Vida/Dice.
      Everything seems working fine.

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements