SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Adding a Blind spot monitoring to 2016 & 2017 XC90

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ivinioXC90 
#1 ·
This is the question that I sent to Volvo and also the response from them.

Hello there, I purchased 2017 XC90 T6 unfortunately we did not get the Blind spot monitoring, now for me it has become a safety issues. Please let me know how I can add this option to my vehicle my dealer mentioned they can not and I have to contact you. Also they mentioned that if I add an after market BSM it will void my warrenty. Please do not simply relay and say nothing is available as this is a safety issues and I need to add this to my vehicle. If I have to talk to someone or do something else please let me know as I am very dedicated to add BSM to my car. Volvo is about safety please help me out here. Thank you

Their response:

Thank you for your email. The Blind Spot Information System feature cannot be added out of the factory.
At Volvo, we take a lot of pride in the safety of our vehicles. This goes way beyond the Blind Spot Information System, which is only an aid, requiring mirrors to also be used at all times. The system cannot be added after the car is built.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

If anyone else would like to add the BSM to their XC90 lets work together and make that happen.

See less See more
#3 ·
Seems you got a definitive answer from Volvo there. I'd wager that even if you were able to get the parts from a scrapper there'd be no way for you to get the software needed to make it work.

My C70 didn't have it fitted... using the same thing that has worked perfectly well for me for the past 40 years or so: couple of convex stick-on mirrors, <$10 from Pep Boys, coupled with, when occasionally necessary, a glance over the shoulder.

#8 ·
parking sensors are very short range and not in the correct area/angle to work for blind spot monitoring sensors. both the blind spot and forward radar sensors are pretty large, bigger than say a deck of cards and probably 20x bigger than parking sensors. one issue id imagine is the wiring to the sensors. I have a 2019 xc90 in the shop who has been waiting on a full vehicle wiring harness since august(warning dont leave exploded lawnmower batteries in your trunk)

#6 ·
Blindspot is by far one of the most useful features on a vehicle. I rely on it every day I drive with high praise. When changing lanes, you often get cars you can't see and Blindspot saves your behind. Imagine it can be added on to any vehicle.

#7 ·
This is the question that I sent to Volvo and also the response from them.

Hello there, I purchased 2017 XC90 T6 unfortunately we did not get the Blind spot monitoring, now for me it has become a safety issues. Please let me know how I can add this option to my vehicle my dealer mentioned they can not and I have to contact you. Also they mentioned that if I add an after market BSM it will void my warrenty. Please do not simply relay and say nothing is available as this is a safety issues and I need to add this to my vehicle. If I have to talk to someone or do something else please let me know as I am very dedicated to add BSM to my car. Volvo is about safety please help me out here. Thank you

Their response:

Thank you for your email. The Blind Spot Information System feature cannot be added out of the factory.
At Volvo, we take a lot of pride in the safety of our vehicles. This goes way beyond the Blind Spot Information System, which is only an aid, requiring mirrors to also be used at all times. The system cannot be added after the car is built.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

If anyone else would like to add the BSM to their XC90 lets work together and make that happen.
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2016 XC90 with pilot assist, park assist, but missing the blind spot monitoring. Now my parents will be driving that car and I want them to have that option on the vehicle. Ideally I would love to add an OEM system but alternatively looking at Brandmotion RDBS-1400 and 1500 Radar Blind Spot Monitoring Cross Traffic Detection System. Any feedback on that?

#9 ·
Looking at Volvo USA's website, adding BLIS doesn't appear as an option. Best bet is to call a dealer and ask.

#10 ·
Purchased used low miles 2016 XC90 with the weird package set up. It came with parking assist, collision prevention and distance warning system, upgraded headlights, clean air vent and pretty much everything that inscription package would have but it's missing two things - BLIS and heated steering wheel which I'm trying to add. I've already purchased OEM side mirrors and looking at OEM BLIS modules but can't find a diagram for wiring and here is the question. Could it be already pre wired? I understand two side modules needed to be installed under the rear bumper, is there a main module as well or this is all that is needed? Who knows, spill the beans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.