Angle Gear Splines
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Angle Gear Splines

My R's been sidelined for more than a month, I've been fixing a few issues that came up around 150k miles. Finally got around to fixing AWD, which I saved for last because I wasn't looking forward to removing the collar sleeve.
      Now its out figured I would offer up my angle gear splines for sentencing. Its clearly not perfect because the splines are not symmetric, they are worn on one side. I don't know how much wear if any is acceptable. Whats the risk of putting in a worn AG spline, would it just chew through the collar sleeve faster? I'd prefer to avoid welding or Loctite at this time unless absolutely necessary, I would rather chance having to replace another collar sleeve soon and doing a more permanent fix at that point. Also, when you put on the new collar sleeve, are you supposed to apply Loctite at the trans shaft output or simply just slip it on?

Finally removed with a lot of heat and a 7 ton puller from O'reillys after breaking a 5 ton hydraulic puller. To my knowledge it was on there for 150k until it failed

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The worn splines on the shafts are always going to be a weak link, but in the meantime put a new collar on there for the added strength and hope the AG splines keep up.

There is also the tighter tolerance PDV sleeve as an option at about 3x the cost if you would like to give it a try, but its a bitch to get on the tranny output shaft if you don't get all the old epoxy out of the splines which isn't easy.

Its not all bad news since I have an AG with slightly worn splines that has been working rather well with the upgraded sleeve.

Also make sure you put some molly lube on the splines and do your best to centrally align the AG since misalignment and lack of lube is what really accelerates wear on some of our Rs.

Thanks for the tips, I had seen somewhere on here about the PDV sleeve and was wondering if they are worth the extra $... I ended up getting the Volvo sleeve service kit from FCP. I will be putting the new sleeve and old AG in today being careful with the alignment.
      FWIW it really was an intimidating project getting that sleeve off, but once you get a good puller on it with some heat I think its quite doable and worth it. Vida even describes cutting notches applying heat and a puller just slightly different tools. I did try ratchet straps with C-clamps, pry bars, and a slide hammer first because I had never used an angle grinder and wanted to avoid it... wasn't bad at all, and I'd recommend going straight for the puller, at least in my experience everything else was a waste of time... and heating with a MAPP torch was definitely key to break free from the epoxy. Probably the most involved mechanical job I've done so far and I was on the fence about trying it, glad I did though feels good to throw away that $2300 quote from the dealer.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It was easier for me since I pulled the shaft on my replacement tranny with it out of the car, but lots of heat on the collar with lots of pulling force is certainly the only way to get it off of there.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post3284970

Not the ONLY way! Why pull when you can push

Re used the sleeve and just welded it to the angle gear

Yellow 95 850 T-5R - SOLD
      Black 98 S70 T5M - Heavily modded
      Laser 00 V70 R 6MT - 03 T5 motor M66 AWD swapped
      Sappicama 04 V70 R 6MT - Hilton Stage 1
      Magicama 05 S60 R 6MT - Stock

I just changed my last spring and I was lucky in that when I removed the angle gear box the spline stayed on the angle gear shaft. The spline had been replaced once before. However, my transmission output shaft splines looked just like your angle gear shaft splines.

Ended up welding a new spline onto the angle gear shaft. I cleaned the transmission spline really well, added a ton of high pressure spline grease and put it back together. Before tightening the angle gear box to the transmission, I put the car in gear with the bolts loose and then tightened. This hopefully provided a very good alignment.

Make sure if you do that alignment process your passenger side drive axle is installed, otherwise the transmission (and it was a M66 too) will pump transmission oil in you face lol.

Otherwise I've been running those shotty looking splines (on the transmission side) for about 10 months now and have probably put about 15-20k mi on it with no symptoms yet.

Hugh

Wow that's surprising that the tranny splines were damaged too, maybe because they weren't epoxied on the second install? Does anyone reapply epoxy when installing a new sleeve, maybe I will grease my tranny splines as well. Good to hear its holding up though... and I emptied out my tranny fluid already to avoid any further mess, which I also didn't think about until I was underneath the axle as I took it out lol.
      BlkT5 at one point after hours of trying slide hammers and anything that would fit, I was almost wishing my master cylinder had failed just for an excuse to take out the whole tranny lol.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements