New 142 Owner Introduction - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Results 71 to 92 of 92
    1. #71
      Junior Member mathue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Dublin CA
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
      Good luck finding an intact trim piece for the space between the top of the dash and the bottom of the windshield. If you still have all the broken pieces of the original, you might want to consider trying to glue them back together with Loctite 406, then reinforce the back of the cracks with some thin sheet brass or aluminium that you can typically pick up from hobby stores that sell products for model makers.
      How does one remove this bit of trim? Mine is intact but it's still rough and I'd like to get behind it to remove all the stuff left there by the car's previous furry occupants.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      Quote Originally Posted by thispunter View Post
      I put some elbow grease into the finish too-- claybar, Meguiar’s #7 Show Car Glaze, then wax.
      Notwithstanding the color mismatch on the back seat, its looking very good both inside and outside. You should be pleased.

      If you are still looking for a little more legroom with respect to the steering wheel, go back through my thread. About 4 years ago I discovered a couple of extra holes in the seat mechanism on my 142. It allowed me to reposition the seat back another 1-2" which helped with my upper leg perpetually banging into the bottom of my steering wheel when braking and shifting. The seat bottom frame changed during the production run so your car may not have the extra holes. But, it is worth a look if you need a little extra room.

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ject-Car/page4
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    4. #73
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      Quote Originally Posted by mathue View Post
      How does one remove this bit of trim? Mine is intact but it's still rough and I'd like to get behind it to remove all the stuff left there by the car's previous furry occupants.
      As I recall (it has been a while), it is just kind of shoved into place. There appear to be 4 clips (Volvo calls them clamps) along the bottom of the windshield opening that press up on the flat piece on the front edge of the trim and hold the whole trim piece in place. I honestly don't remember those clips / clamps on my car. Removal would involve pulling up and back on the trim piece. You need to do that while avoiding flexing the piece because that is going to result in a big 'snap'.

      What windshield do you have, gasket mount or bonded? If it is bonded, chances are that some of the bonding compound has softened and drooled down onto the trim piece and is adding some additional holding power. Equivalent to being glued in place.

      Unless its really bad, I would be inclined to leave it alone. Perhaps wait until you need to do a windshield replacement?
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #74
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Quote Originally Posted by mathue View Post
      I love the original seats.

      What did you do with the original steering wheel? If you still have it and don't want it I'd like to know what you'd sell it for.
      Thanks to VP for the OE seat covers. I'll probably keep the steering wheel as they're kind of hard to find and I'd like the option of putting it back on.

    7. #75
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Quote Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
      Notwithstanding the color mismatch on the back seat, its looking very good both inside and outside. You should be pleased.

      If you are still looking for a little more legroom with respect to the steering wheel, go back through my thread. About 4 years ago I discovered a couple of extra holes in the seat mechanism on my 142. It allowed me to reposition the seat back another 1-2" which helped with my upper leg perpetually banging into the bottom of my steering wheel when braking and shifting. The seat bottom frame changed during the production run so your car may not have the extra holes. But, it is worth a look if you need a little extra room.

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ject-Car/page4
      Thanks. I did read that when you posted it. Being 6' I don't have any problem with legroom it was just the getting in past the steering wheel I was having trouble with.

    8. #76
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Quote Originally Posted by mathue View Post
      How does one remove this bit of trim? Mine is intact but it's still rough and I'd like to get behind it to remove all the stuff left there by the car's previous furry occupants.
      If yours is like mine you actually have to push a screwdriver under it to get to the 6 or 8 screws holding it on. Be careful as it might be brittle and snap.



    9. #77
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      Quote Originally Posted by thispunter View Post
      If yours is like mine you actually have to push a screwdriver under it to get to the 6 or 8 screws holding it on. Be careful as it might be brittle and snap.


      That does not look anything like the trim piece that I have along the base of the windshield. On each end of mine there is an extension which overlaps the bottom of the trim piece on the A pillars. Also, there is a formed lip right at the outside 90 deg corner that I think is supposed to butt up against the inside edge of the glass. This is what mine looks like (although the lip does not really show)

      http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...black/1035329/

      The trim piece in your photo sort of looks like the trim I have along the top edge of the windshield; but, the curve looks different. This is the upper piece

      http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...black/1040034/

      It is nice that that at least the bottom trim piece is still avaialble. They seem to be originating with GCP and if that is the case you might be able to order them through your Volvo dealer

      Since your car is a 1970 and mine is a 1971, perhaps Volvo changed something in the production run.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    10. #78
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Posts
      68
      That's interesting. Mine is a '72 and looks just like the '70 one in the pictures.
      http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?p...e&artno=682849
      Same product number
      Last edited by apico500; 07-05-2019 at 06:47 AM.

    11. #79
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      The 'easy' identification, at least for the parts in the Skandix listing that match with the parts manual, is that the bottom piece has tabs that extend out to match with the lower A pillars and the top piece has a number of holes in it which the lower piece lacks.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    12. #80
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Luckily I was able to find an affordable M41 crossmember. But for those that haven't been so lucky, here are a couple of pictures illustrating the differences between the M40 and M41 crossmembers. Good pictures of the 140 M41 crossmember seem to be kind of rare on the internet.
      First shows the two; second, how the M40 crossmember doesn't fit the M41 transmission; and third, how the correct part fits.






    13. #81
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      We have overdrive!
      ~85mph @ 4k rpm (by my calculations)! It has no problem with the 4.10 rear.

      I've got it wired up with a momentary switch so that it automatically shifts out of OD when I shift out of 4th and doesn't shift back into OD unless I'm in 4th and hit the switch.




    14. #82
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, MO
      Posts
      81
      Looking good! The carpet looks fine to me.
      I think the only had one color blue for a couple of different blue interiors. Then they had an aqua/green.
      That said, black would look good also.
      On my 73, I'm using 74 striped blue/green seat covers & matching door cards. I'll need to take the cards to an upholsterer to work the window sweepers. But the seat covers have multi colored stripes, including black, so I may go with black carpet.
      Keep up the good work, the wheels look great on there also!!
      Steve

    15. #83
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      Whose momentary contact OD switch did you use and did you use the Bosch 1259750 relay?
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    16. #84
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Quote Originally Posted by 66Wildcat View Post
      Looking good! The carpet looks fine to me.
      I think the only had one color blue for a couple of different blue interiors. Then they had an aqua/green.
      That said, black would look good also.
      On my 73, I'm using 74 striped blue/green seat covers & matching door cards. I'll need to take the cards to an upholsterer to work the window sweepers. But the seat covers have multi colored stripes, including black, so I may go with black carpet.
      Keep up the good work, the wheels look great on there also!!
      Steve
      Are your seat covers OE from VP? I can't believe that stuff's still available. As long as it's all period correct maybe exact matching doesn't matter so much.

      Quote Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
      Whose momentary contact OD switch did you use and did you use the Bosch 1259750 relay?
      It's an Ebay find: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Stalk-...53.m2749.l2649
      Thanks goes to you, by the way, as much of my internet research brought me to your posts.
      This one it turns out is just a standard momentary Lucas switch that's they've added length to the toggle. By the time you get to the end of it the throw is pretty long:
      https://www.revingtontr.com/product/...omentary-140mm
      The toggle shaft has a rubber sleeve on it to cover up their work.
      I also considered the regular Lucas toggle switch mounted on the dash but since I was able to find an OE OD column mount I went that direction.

    17. #85
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, MO
      Posts
      81
      [QUOTE=thispunter;7373051]Are your seat covers OE from VP? I can't believe that stuff's still available. As long as it's all period correct maybe exact matching doesn't matter so much.

      Yes, I got the front & rear set from VP, along with the matching front door cars / rear side covers. The only thing I'll need is to have an upholsterer make the rear armrest cover.





      Steve

    18. #86
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Pictures from the VCOA national meet hosted by the SLO Rolling Central Coast Volvo Club:







      This was the first road trip I've taken and the car ran great. Well, mostly. It started popping out of O/D when the revs got below 3000 when I arrived and the whole way home. It turns out the oil level was low. Topped up the oil and all good now.
      Also, I've been swapping back and forth between HIF6 and HS6 carbs trying to figure out which is best. Well, neither work very well when the throttle shaft bushings are worn. The HS6's are worse (and more susceptible) so I sent them off for repair this week.

    19. #87
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      Low oil level in the transmission / OD will definitely cause the OD to drop out. If you haven't done so already, it would be prudent to clean the filters in the OD because that will contribute to the problem. However, if you don't know when the access cover was last removed (if ever) have a replacement gasket on hand. If its an original gasket it almost assuredly will not seal when you reinstall the cover.

      No update photos on your recent re upholstery work?

      Volvo's solution to create a rear mount shifter on the P1900 is hilarious. The shift into reverse or 2nd must seem a little strange. The P1900 is indeed a rare bird with a total production run that I recall was less than 70. Story goes that Volvo's new CEO was so disappointed with the quality of the build that he cancelled production after taking it for a weekend test drive.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    20. #88
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Quote Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
      Low oil level in the transmission / OD will definitely cause the OD to drop out. If you haven't done so already, it would be prudent to clean the filters in the OD because that will contribute to the problem. However, if you don't know when the access cover was last removed (if ever) have a replacement gasket on hand. If its an original gasket it almost assuredly will not seal when you reinstall the cover.

      No update photos on your recent re upholstery work?

      Volvo's solution to create a rear mount shifter on the P1900 is hilarious. The shift into reverse or 2nd must seem a little strange. The P1900 is indeed a rare bird with a total production run that I recall was less than 70. Story goes that Volvo's new CEO was so disappointed with the quality of the build that he cancelled production after taking it for a weekend test drive.
      I took the whole transmission over to a shop in Burbank (rare for me) and had them look it over before I installed it. They replaced the cone clutch among other things.

      I'm done with my upholstery work. The mismatched back seat was the last thing.

      However, I do need to peruse your thread, 142Guy and check which suspension springs you ended up with. I'm becoming less and less happy with my progressive fronts. I think I'd like a little more travel front and rear.

    21. #89
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      I now have the Amazon Cars (UK) progressive fronts and single rate rears. I like them better than the Lesjofors (which just about everybody sells) that I previously had on the car. The Lesjofors combined with the IPD sway bars were just too rough on poor quality pavement. They are fine if you are on an autocross track. The Amazon Cars springs were quite spendy with the shipping costs and I seem to recall a forum member saying that they are no longer exporting them because of liability issues. I don't know whether that is correct so it might be worthwhile emailing them to confirm if you are looking for options. The car rides a little higher with the Amazon springs compared to the Lesjofors which means a nudge more wheel travel which is nice on crappy roads.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    22. #90
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      107
      Yeah, it says so on their website that they don't ship to the Americas.
      Classic Swede sells progressive fronts with a 40mm drop. I might inquire about those.

      *Edit- 40mm, that's 1.5" which is what I have on there from V-Performance.
      Last edited by thispunter; 10-07-2019 at 10:34 AM.

    23. #91
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Saskatchewan, Canada
      Posts
      2,164
      I didn't know that they offered progressive springs. I thought all of theirs were single rate. The salient feature of Classic Swede for me was that they offered springs with a 100 mm drop in ride height. I know a little negative camber won't hurt a 140; but, I am thinking that much drop is going to give you a big increase in negative camber and I don't know whether there is enough adjustment to get it back to something reasonable. I also imagine the spring rate must be pretty high in order to keep the car from bashing into the bump stops all the time. Would make for an interesting ride.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

    24. #92
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      299
      100mm!!!...Krimony!...that may look good for pictures, but car will be incapable of driving over a painted line without bottoming...

    25. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3