Windshield Washer Stopped Working
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, but this is my first post. I have a 2013 S60 T5 with about 80k miles on it that had been problem free until now.

Recently, NC had a major snowstorm and had temperatures in the single digits 2 nights in a row. I thought that I had winter windshield wash in the tank, but apparently it froze. I tried to pull the stall to do windshield wash and it didn't work. I did not continue to do it becuwee I assumed it was just frozen. Now that temps are back above freezing, it still does not work. There is plenty of fluid in the tank and the headlight washer still works. Do you guys know any tips or things to check out to try to troubleshoot? I have done all of the maintenance on this car myself, so I know my way around the car and hope to avoid taking it in for service if I can. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Check the fuse? Not sure of the number off hand.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former) | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R (former)

Yeah, a fuse would be the first thing to check. It might have overloaded and blew the fuse.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It can also be a blown tee on the washer nozzles, the tend to pop off under pressure. You might be spraying water in the engine bay.

Good

Bad

Last edited by alexpa; 01-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
      2013 Ice White XC90 2.5T AWD R Design w/Polestar Optimization-The Family Hauler
      2013 Passion Red S60 T6 AWD R Design
      2011 VW Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion Tiptronic - APR Stage 2 "The Grocery Getter"
      2003 Nissan Patrol TD42 - AXT Turbo Kit, ARB Lockers, 5" Lift, 35s... Too many mods to list anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by moorewr View Post
      I tried to pull the stall to do windshield wash and it didn't work.
      Same thing happened to me a few years back. The washer bottle was full of Volvo brand fluid. One dark, cold and snowy morning I went to hit the washers but nothing came out. But what was worse and most frightening was that the wipers activated anyway and without fluid just smeared the entire windshield opaque. It was still dark in the morning and I could not see a thing! I was literally driving blind on the highway. Scares me to this day just thinking about that morning. Wipers should not be tied to the washers for this very reason. I flipped the wipers on high desperately trying to clear a spot and managed to get about a 1/2" strip to see through. Fortunately it was enough to see where to pull over (which wasn't easy on a snow covered highway). I used snow to clear the windshield to get to work. It wasn't as cold as your experience so they did work in the afternoon after temps got above freezing. I could hear the pump spinning so the bottle must not have been frozen (maybe why my fuse didn't blow) but if you didn't hear the pump it could have been frozen and activating a seized motor could blow a fuse.

The washer pumps for headlight and windshield are separate. Check fuse F9, F10 and F11A/1. These are all in the windshield washer circuit. The washer pumps are accessible via the driver's side front wheel well. You'll have to remove the front portion of the wheel well cover to gain access then both pumps are right there as is the low fluid sensor. I think I have a pdf on removing the wheel well cover if you need to go there.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I will check the fuse, I have already checked the fittings and it doesn't appear to be spraying into the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had washer fluid freeze twice in two different cars, so that was my reason for it not working...
      (Both times it was after the "dealer service", don't know what the hell they put in there...)

The first time I had it fixed at the dealership. They said it was done under warranty.

Not sure if you have CPO or not, or it would even be covered under it, but worth a shot if you do?

Sorry for not really being helpful :-(
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      I had washer fluid freeze twice in two different cars, so that was my reason for it not working...
      (Both times it was after the "dealer service", don't know what the hell they put in there...)
      I read somewhere that the dealer uses a concentrate which they then mix with water themselves, so I can see how a mixture can be off if the tech that's mixing a batch doesn't read the instructions, or doesn't care. Regardless, after that experience, I request no washer fluid be added anytime I visit the dealer.
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 01-25-2017 at 07:41 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I read somewhere that the dealer uses a concentrate which they then mix with water themselves, so I can see how a mixture can be off if the tech that's mixing a batch doesn't read the instructions, or doesn't care. Regardless, after that experience, I request no washer fluid be added anytime I visit the dealer.
      The Volvo concentrate is around 1:100 if I recall, very little of the stuff is needed according to instructions. Says its good for well below 0 F, at least I hope it is.

They left a bottle for me in the car when I got the 1 year service, and I thought it was similar to some other 50/50 mixes.... big mistake. I'm still trying to dilute that stuff in the reservoir. Everytime I wash the windshield I get a very strong smell through the air vents (which indicates there really is no filtering of the air that enters the cabin for odors).
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements