April 2020 Updates for convenient listing of Roadmaps, Voice Control, and Gracenote for Sensus (e.g., MY16+ SPA series)
Roadmap Updates and Instructions:
1300*, April 23, 2020: Europe, North America, et al
*Check your region's website for: Africa and Middle East, India, Israel, Pacific, South America, South East Asia, Taiwan, and Turkey
Over-the-Air roadmap updates are available if you have adequate internet connectivity. Set to Auto Update so that your Home Region is always current. You must set your home region.
Please don’t complain about the frequency of road map updates. Turn-by-turn directions and other enhancements are typically included. More frequent and free updates are better than infrequent updates at a cost. (e.g., Toyota and other brands).
Notice: For some markets with adequate 3G, LTE or WiFi, software updates indicate that a newer version of Road maps (e.g., 1300) is available OTA. Downloads are packaged as subregions so that they are smaller and faster to download and install. You may download and install "on the go" if you have adequate internet connectivity. Navigation may not be available, though, during the download and until you stop and shut off and lock your car briefly. Other regions can be queued for download OTA if you indicate that you want one or more other regions installed.
Map Download Support Pages Released in selected markets above
US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378
UK: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/down...=map&cscount=8
Note: Volvo Cars US recommends use of the US download site (not U.K.) for US models
Voice control: Released October 24, 2019 ** (IHU Software Update recommended by Volvo TJ)
US: 32141802AA @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765
UK: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/down...&cstype=speech
Voice control commands: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...voice-commands.
Gracenote: 31667039AA released May 2017 (base).
Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...016/model/XC90
UK: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/Page...a8015123e96919
* Road map versions and dates may vary by map region. Road maps are generally updated monthly. OTA is available for select regions. Even though you may have installed the full region as the initial base, you may update individual sub-regions over-the-air. Check your specific region and your market's support website if not North America or Europe. Instructions for checking your version can be found on your Volvo region's Owner/Roadmap pages.
** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control will typically be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November). Practically, it is being updated once per year (e.g., April).
Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
See detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.
0. Disregard the reported version on VolvoCars US website as there is a lag to update the road map version on the US webpage. UK’s is always current.
1. Road map updates occur ~ monthly in most markets. Voice control is ~ once per year. COVID-19 has slowed the update cadence.
2. Full Road map updates for a region (e.g., all of NA) can take up to 2.0 hours to download (e.g., full NA, 35 GB) to the USB drive. The download app displays a progress percent complete. The elapsed time may vary depending the Class of the USB drive - Class 10 being recommended. Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete. Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
3. OTA road map updates are available in selected markets. OTA updates are most practical for your home region since the file size is smaller. You may update multiple regions. If you plan to update the entire map base (e.g., North America or Europe), the recommendation is to use at least a ~64 GB thumb drive. Use your WiFi connection and save your mobile data as you wish.
4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App - requiring you to initiate the download of the maps.
5. A fast, empty 64 GB USB drive (or larger) is recommended to be formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work. For models with dual USB ports, use the USB port that is enclosed by a white.
6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
A. At home, you must babysit the car when USB and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake for about 35 min. at 6-7 min. intervals. Do not remove the USB drive until the install is 100% done - lest you may have a dealer visit in your near future.
B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than the 35 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off. Your Sensus Navigation will not be available while updating Road maps. At least on MY16s, navigation may not be available until after you have stopped, shut off your car, locked your car for a couple of minutes - allowing Sensus to effectively re-boot.
C. Voice control installation must be performed separately from road maps.
D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
8. For MacBook users, The download app now supports 64-bit applications. Reformat a USB drive on your Mac rather than use a PC formatted drive as a precaution.
9. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it.
10. If you encounter an error with the OTA update, there are two options.(A) Shut the car off, lock it and let it recycle for several minutes and try again; or (B) Download to a clean USB drive, verify its contents, and install via USB port.
11. You may update one or more smaller regions (e.g., UK) even though you may have originally installed the full region. The other, older maps for the larger market (e.g., Europe) will be retained.
12. Be sure to download the SPA version which should have SPA in the name of the download site or file. For USA, go to custhelp.volvocars.com and select the correct model year and model before selecting download: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...odel/XC90%20T8 (This link happens to be for MY16 XC90 T8 as an example even though all SPA MY16s-21s use the same downloader.
Here is the link for the UK, as another example: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...e=map&csid=spa
14. Install any and all pending Volvo and third app updates first before installing road map updates. Close the app before the update (e.g., Pandora); otherwise, the installation may hang up.
15. If your installation seems to stop, pause, or shows no progress, be patient. Some updates can take longer and it appears that pending Volvo and third party apps may have, or take, priority over map updates.
16. If all else fails, re-install Voice Control, then re-install maps. Sidwin and a Volvo dealer in DEN figured this out with help from Volvo Tech Support.