SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Latest SPA MY16-MY2* Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info

180K views 610 replies 134 participants last post by  james_2708 
#1 · (Edited)
Roadmap Updates for convenient listing of Roadmaps, Voice Control, and Gracenote for Sensus (e.g., MY16-MY2* SPA series and SPA vehicles legacy Sensus).

Roadmap Updates and Instructions
1456 (Europe, North America, et al *)

Published
29 February 2024

Next Planned update:
04 Apr 2024

*Check your region's website for: Africa and Middle East, India, Israel, Pacific, South America, South East Asia, Taiwan, and Turkey

Roadmap Download Support Pages
US: Download the Latest Maps (NA-907_1456, 38.33 GB, MacOS)​
Note: Volvo Cars US recommends use of the US download site (not U.K.) for US models​

HERE Map Errors: Register on HERE's Map Creator to report and fix map errors.

Voice control: 32141802AA
US: Download the Latest Voice Control files, posted November 2021
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support, posted 01 Dec. 2020

Voice control commands: Voice Commands Updated: 25 Nov. 2021 US English
Gracenote: 31667039AA released May 2017 (base).
US: Gracenote
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support

Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
US: Apps Available for your Volvo Equipped with Sensus Navigation
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support

* Road map versions and dates may vary by map region. Road maps are generally updated monthly. Instructions for checking your version can be found on your Volvo region's Owner/Roadmap pages.

** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control was promoted to be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November). Practically, it is being updated once per year at most.

Sensus Road Map Update Strategies
1. Update your entire region (or desired subregions) a few days before you leave home.
2. Don't assume that you will always have a cellular connection. Even if you use maps on your mobile phone, you may still lose cellular connection regardless of location and carrier.
3. Have the latest base maps loaded on Sensus before you go so that you are not dependent on a cellular connection.

Over-the-Air (OTA) v. USB
OTA roadmap updates are available if you have adequate internet connectivity.
  • You must set your home region for OTA.
  • Turn on Auto Update so that your Home Region is always current, unless you routinely update base maps via USB.
Notice: You may receive notices in Sensus that a newer version of software (e.g., Apps or Roadmap) are available based on every installed subregion. Updating base maps via USB totally eliminates all of those subregion messages.

Road map downloads are packaged as subregions so that they are smaller and faster to download and install.

Update Methods
1. Over-the-Air (OTA) Update of your Home Region is the minimum and is sufficient for most. (It also minimizes the persistent "updates available" messages.)
- For MY17 and newer models, you have built-in 4G LTE VOC and Vehicle modems.
* 4G LTE is sufficient if you have good cellular connection and unlimited data.
* Otherwise, use your home WiFi (or a cellular 4G LTE or 5G cellular hotspot) and connect your car to your local WiFi or Hotspot. This can be the cheapest and fastest if available for your home region. OTA for multiple regions can work as long as you have the time available and do not install many large subregions.
- For MY16s and earlier, your vehicle will likely have 3G VOC and Vehicle modems which are no longer supported by cellular carriers or Volvo. A 4G LTE upgrade is available [now], subject to availability. Consider contacting Volvo Customer Care for a discount for the cost of the upgrade which can be as much as 30% off the parts (but not labor or tax). The cost of parts and labor can range from ~$900 to ~$1500 depending on your region and shop rates.

2. USB Update is the fastest method to update an entire base Region (e.g., NA) even though it may require ~35 minutes once downloaded to a USB memory stick from your computer.
* There is no dependency on cellular or WiFi connections with the USB memory stick.
* Best practice is to only have the white-bordered USB port plugged in with the memory stick. Unplug any other device or cable that might be plugged into the second USB port in the console (assuming that you have dual ports).

Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
See detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.

Notes
0. Disregard the reported version on VolvoCars US website as the data pulls from the global Volvo servers. The US webpage info tends to lags, and the link connects directly to the global Volvo server.
1. Road map updates occur ~ monthly in most markets. Voice control is ~ once per year.
2. Full Road map updates for a region (e.g., all of NA) can take up to 2.5 hours to download (e.g., full NA, 37 GB) from your computer to the USB drive. The install from USB to the vehicle takes about 35 min.
- The download app displays a progress percent complete. The elapsed time may vary depending the Class of the USB drive - Class 10 being recommended.
- Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete.
- Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
3. OTA road map updates are available in selected markets. OTA updates are most practical for your home region since the file size is smaller. However, if you wish to update multiple regions, it may be best to use the USB method rather than OTA. If you plan to update the entire map base (e.g., North America or Europe), the recommendation is to use the USB Update using at least a ~64 GB thumb drive in an ExFAT format. BE sure to turn off "Automatic Update" if you plan to use USB method as the OTA seems to conflicts with and overrides USB Update process - leading to "pauses" in the update process.
4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App - requiring you to initiate the download of the maps.
5. A fast, empty 64 GB USB drive (or larger) is recommended to be formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work. For models with dual USB ports, use the USB port that is enclosed by a white border.
6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
A. At home, you must babysit the car when USB and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake for about 35 min. at 6-7 min. intervals. Do not remove the USB drive until the install is 100% done - lest you may have a dealer visit in your near future. You may wish to connect a Battery Tender or Maintainer to maintain your battery charge level while the installation occurs for ~30 min. Do not start your ICE in the enclosed garage. A battery tender is safer.
B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than the 35 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off. Your Sensus Navigation will not be available while updating Road maps. At least on MY16s, navigation may not be available until after you have stopped, shut off your car, locked your car for a couple of minutes - allowing Sensus to effectively re-boot.
C. Voice control installation must be performed separately from road maps.
D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
8. For MacBook users, The download app now supports 64-bit applications. Reformat a USB drive on your Mac rather than use a PC formatted drive as a precaution.
9. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it. Also, a dealer may charge for labor.
10. If you encounter an error with the OTA update, there are two options.(A) Shut the car off, lock it and let it recycle for several minutes and try again; or (B) Download to a clean USB drive, verify its contents, and install via USB port. Try a different USB memory stick and/or reformat the memory stick.
11. You may update one or more smaller regions (e.g., UK) even though you may have originally installed the full region. The other, older maps for the larger market (e.g., Europe, North America) will be retained until the entire base map is updated in its entirety.
12. Be sure to download the SPA version which should have SPA in the name of the download site or file. For USA, go to Volvo Customer Help US.
14. Install any and all pending Volvo and third app updates first before installing road map updates as they tend to interrupt the road map update process.. Close the app before the update (e.g., Pandora); otherwise, the installation may hang up.Likewise, if a subregion map is already updating, let that subregion update finish before attempting to use the USB method to update the entire base map.
15. If your installation seems to stop, pause, or shows no progress, be patient. Some updates can take longer and it appears that pending Volvo and third party apps may have, or take, priority over map updates.
16. If all else fails, try to re-install Voice Control, and then re-install maps. Sidwin and a Volvo dealer in DEN did this with help from Volvo Tech Support. However, if your vehicle has the latest voice control software this option may not work since the installer detects an older version on the USB than what is installed in the car. This workaround does not always work if you have the latest version of Voice Control.
17. If OTA is installing your Home Region, let it finish first. If you try to install from the USB while your vehicle is installing your Home Region OTA, the OTA will pause and create an issue - leaving you without navigation until the vehicle resolves it. If the full USB does not install, you may end up with a partial install and no navigation which takes you to Step 16 and likely the dealer.
18. Please don't complain about the frequency of road map updates. Turn-by-turn directions and other enhancements are typically included. More frequent and free updates are better than infrequent updates at a cost. (e.g., Toyota and other brands).

See less See more
#468 · (Edited)
New September update.Another September update is forecast for the ~ 13th Sept.

Published03/09/2021
Version1353
Planned update13/09/2021

#472 ·
What happened to being able to do it over the air? That is how I have done it for the last 2.5+ years. All of a sudden the file size for all of the maps is too large.

#475 ·
My cars are 2018 and 2019 model year vehicles. No update is availabel for the 2019 S60 and the 2018 V90 says all of the region files are too large for the download.

#476 ·
I remember some members pointing out that automatic map updates for your local region or state (using the Vehicle's Internet connection) could somehow be disabled in Sensus. I went through the entire Sensus settings options and didn't find a way to do it.

I regularly update my entire NA maps with a thumb drive and hate it when my Sensus automatically starts updating the MI/Midwest region without me wanting Sensus to do it. It slows down/messes up my music being streamed through the Spotify Sensus app, and if there's any way to force Sensus not to update without me plugging in the thumb drive, it would be a great thing for me to do.

Can anyone point out how they have gone about doing it? I think I remember people discussing this option, or maybe I was dreaming, and there's no such option. Let me know, people. And thank you for your advice! 🍻

#477 ·
I remember some members pointing out that automatic map updates for your local region or state (using the Vehicle's Internet connection) could somehow be disabled in Sensus. I went through the entire Sensus settings options and didn't find a way to do it.

I regularly update my entire NA maps with a thumb drive and hate it when my Sensus automatically starts updating the MI/Midwest region without me wanting Sensus to do it. It slows down/messes up my music being streamed through the Spotify Sensus app, and if there's any way to force Sensus not to update without me plugging in the thumb drive, it would be a great thing for me to do.

Can anyone point out how they have gone about doing it? I think I remember people discussing this option, or maybe I was dreaming, and there's no such option. Let me know, people. And thank you for your advice! [emoji482]
Go to the supplemental manual for Sensus Navigation. Review pages ~ 23-28.

In Settings, there is an option to disable Automatic updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Volvolic
#481 ·
Thanks, @mferranti ! Have you or others been able to download v 1360? On my Mac, it is attempting to re-download 1356. It could be my local issue. TIA.

#482 · (Edited)
I just checked the full North America download, and I see that that one is still showing as version 1356.

I downloaded the New England region only to USB and installed it and I definitely have version 1360 in my Volvo now. (I'm using Windows.)

I can also report that in this new version Volvo finally changed the exit numbers on Interstate 495 in Massachusetts to the new mileage-based system, after I complained to them about sticking with the old numbers for the last four or five versions.

#488 · (Edited)
I tried to alert VolvoCars US Customer Care of the Volvo website or server issue for USB download. I ask the CR to submit a ticket to get the roadmap file file for 1360 corrected.

I hit a brick wall with the CR. She advised me that they do not write tickets and that I must contact the dealer. Really ... for a Volvo Sweden server or website issue?

She then doubled down and said they had already responded to my July 2021 inquiry. Of course, I am speaking of an Oct. 28 - Nov. 1 issue.

This is my first disappointing encounter with Volvo Customer Care in almost 6 years of ownership.

Mine was not a first world issue but I am a bit less confident if one does arise. Enough of a rant. Hopefully, someone will notice and fix the issue on the road map update download so the file name is accurately downloading v1360.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

#490 ·
Thanks! My issue was with the USB download. It hope it is fixed by now.

Some people were able to download via USB their specific sub-region.and likewise OTA.

Reactions: imd
#493 · (Edited)
Thanks. I just tried the v1363 download and the download for North America is still stuck on 1356.

I had wonderful chat with Volvo Customer Care who submitted a case (211116-001073)to get the issue reviewed and hopefully resolved for those of us who wish to download the full North America.

Update: Fabian and Chris at VCC were great with follow-through and follow-up. Although there is no ETA, I am thrilled with their follow-up responses to the glitch with the USB roadmap downloader for NA (as subregions and OTA appear to be fine). Also, I inquired if the roadmap updates will be moved to a secure HTTPS. No news but there is awareness and a case.

21 Nov Update: I may have missed it before, but I see a note in red font color on the US roadmap update that says:
*Note: If you are unable to download the full North America map, please download your current region. In some cases, the full North America map may not be available due to route issues.
I have never encountered this issue before. See Download the Latest Maps. I wonder if the HERE subregion updates are out-of-sync. The explanation "due to route issues" is ambiguous at best.

#496 ·
I this morning downloaded both the NAV an the voice control files on two separate USB sticks and first did install the voice control, which (this being my first time doing this), gave me no feedback for completion and seemed to be done quickly or so I thought, tried out voice control and it seemed to be working for the 3 things I said. so next I plugged in the NAV Stick and there I actually saw the tiny circle turning in the upper rh corner for about 45 mins and got a completed update msg on Sensus.
Then I assumed the VC somehow didn’t take as the files are the same size and plugged it in again and got the Sensus telling me couldn’t read file!

So I re downloaded the update again on my laptop and went back in car to re update VC again and now the msg on Sensu is that I already have the latest VC files installed, which sounded GREAT....however Voice Control no longer works at all!
This comes as a msg in the cluster as well when I talk to the silly Swedish woman.

Anyone have any suggestions other than pay a visit to the stealer?

#497 ·
I this morning downloaded both the NAV an the voice control files on two separate USB sticks and first did install the voice control, which (this being my first time doing this), gave me no feedback for completion and seemed to be done quickly or so I thought, tried out voice control and it seemed to be working for the 3 things I said. so next I plugged in the NAV Stick and there I actually saw the tiny circle turning in the upper rh corner for about 45 mins and got a completed update msg on Sensus.
Then I assumed the VC somehow didn’t take as the files are the same size and plugged it in again and got the Sensus telling me couldn’t read file!

So I re downloaded the update again on my laptop and went back in car to re update VC again and now the msg on Sensu is that I already have the latest VC files installed, which sounded GREAT....however Voice Control no longer works at all!
This comes as a msg in the cluster as well when I talk to the silly Swedish woman.

Anyone have any suggestions other than pay a visit to the stealer?
Caveat: My feedback here is for SPA MY16 - MY21. I do not know if these suggestions apply to MY22's or any vehicle with the new Sensus based on Android and Google Automotive.

My suggestion is to focus on Road Maps first - assuming that maps are more important than voice control. This is trial and error as every scenario seems to have its nuances. Voice control install can have issues which you now know.

If you re-inserted a USB memory stick before shutting off and locking your car, you may not have allowed enough time to pass for a re-boot. Locking the vehicle forces a shut-down/re-boot like I mention below.

Road Maps
  1. Shut off the car (which is likely already done ;)), pull out your memory stick if still installed, and locked the car for several minutes. Locking the car turns almost all of the systems off and more or less acts as a re-boot.
  2. Turn on ignition (e.g., mode 1- on but not started), and check your navigation road map version. Most sub-region versions for North America should be at v1363. (The current base North America base maps have an issue and are currently stuck on v1356.). Also, check whether voice control works now.
  3. Update your subregion via over-the-air updates if your subregion is not at v1363 so that you have the latest for your home region (or wherever you may currently be).
  4. You might be done unless voice control does not work.
Voice Control
  1. Turn off your vehicle's Wifi and automatic updates for road maps. Intervening OTA road map updates and app updates while installing voice control cerated challenges for me which ended up requiring a dealer visit.
  2. Check your latest installed voice control version. [BTW: Voice control updates are not quick - at least not the current Voice Control version is 32141802AA, released in October 2019.]
  3. Re-install if not current and still not working. Car ignition must be on (at least mode 1). If you are not driving, you must babysit the car to make sure it does not fall asleep.
  4. Expect up to one hour (per the VC note on US website) for the install to be safe and likely requires a dealer visit. VIDA might be an option (but not for me).]
  5. Do not expect a progress bar or notice - at least not until it is "done done". Conflicting OTA map and app updates can throw a wrench in the voice control update install process.
  6. Prematurely pulling out the USB memory stick for voice control can cause problems. Try to manually install a subregion road map update to re-set /prep the installer for another run at the voice control update.
  7. Wait a couple of days before trying voice control install again if you still have problems.
  8. Visit the dealer if all else fails. (Once a version is installed, it is almost impossible to re-install over it.)
Good luck!

#498 ·
thx for the response, did some more reading also on this thread and discovered i did not follow the exact instructions, as i did both update back to back without letting sensus come to its senses by letting it shut down and reboot in between, however this morning VC works and everything seems ok after all.

Being a newwbie on this Volvo thing, is there any way to see the latest versions installed on Sensus of the VC and NAV versiosn?
on sensus

#499 · (Edited)
thx for the response, did some more reading also on this thread and discovered i did not follow the exact instructions, as i did both update back to back without letting sensus come to its senses by letting it shut down and reboot in between, however this morning VC works and everything seems ok after all.

Being a newwbie on this Volvo thing, is there any way to see the latest versions installed on Sensus of the VC and NAV versiosn?
on sensus
Road Map Version info Options
1. Settings > System > Navigation
2. Sensus Apps (swipe right to left), then to Downloads, Road Maps Home region

I have to look for VC. It is not coming to me at the minute. Edit: I could not find any info on version for voice control in Settings - at least not early SPA vehicles in US.

#500 ·
I just tried updating my maps today for the first time since I got my MY21 XC90 three months ago. I used a USB drive and got the whole North America region v1356. Then I followed the instructions - the download in the car didn't take too long once I plugged in the USB drive, then I got a message that the update is almost finished and then almost 2 hours of driving and still the system is not reset. Is that normal?
I also wasn't paying attention and when I started the process there was active navigation so now my HUD continuously shows the last turn I was supposed to take and the gauge cluster also has a 'frozen' map in it.
Any suggestions?

#501 · (Edited)
@Dan NY, what road map version is installed for your home region?

The USB download for all of North America is outdated - still stuck on v1356 (Sep 2021). This is a known issue with Volvo US filed on 17 Nov 2021 (Map Update Issue [ID #: 211116-001069]).

All of North America’s individual subregion downloads are updated on 1363 (Dec 2021) but the NA version is on v1356.

The NA download and version issue has yet to be fixed with Nov and Dec version updates despite multiple requests by me with Volvo Cares. A ticket was submitted and their recommendation was go to my dealer to fix the problem and update the road maps. Dealers don’t get paid for this as I understand it which is an unfair ask for Volvo push onto the dealers when the issue is Volvo’s.

Of course, we know that the dealers do not manage the Volvo corporate and regional download sites (Sweden, UK, US, et al). I also cannot get OTA in my car for app and map updates to work so I will be visiting the dealer for scheduled maintenance and to address this.

All I can say is to call Volvo Cares, report your issue, and reference ticket ID #: 211116-001069] (Map Update Issue ).

I will report back next week on my dealer experience.

Reactions: ChrisJB84
#502 ·
@Danny, what road map version is installed for your home region?

The USB download for all of North America is outdated - still stuck on v1356 (Sep 2021). This is a known issue with Volvo US filed on 17 Nov 2021 (Map Update Issue [ID #: 211116-001069]).

All of North America’s individual subregion downloads are updated on 1363 (Dec 2021) but the NA version is on v1356.

The NA download and version issue has yet to be fixed with Nov and Dec version updates despite multiple requests by me with Volvo Cares. A ticket was submitted and their recommendation was go to my dealer to fix the problem and update the road maps. Dealers don’t get paid for this as I understand it which is an unfair ask for Volvo push onto the dealers when the issue is Volvo’s.

Of course, we know that the dealers do not manage the Volvo corporate and regional download sites (Sweden, UK, US, et al). I also cannot get OTA in my car for app and map updates to work so I will be visiting the dealer for scheduled maintenance and to address this.

All I can say is to call Volvo Cares, report your issue, and reference ticket ID #: 211116-001069] (Map Update Issue ).

I will report back next week on my dealer experience.

Hi. Thanks for your very thorough reply, although I am not sure I understand why it should matter that the overall NA version is different than the individual region versions if I try to download the entire NA version at once - wouldn't that just install a version that has some local regions that are not the latest version?
Unfortunately I didn't check the existing map version before I attempted to upgrade - but since I got the car in late August 2021 I assume it was older than v1356?
Hopefully I will have the time today to see whether starting the car and letting it run for a while will resolve the issues.
Otherwise is there a way for me to just revert back to what it was before I tried to upgrade or will I be stuck neither here nor there....?

#505 ·
For those who wish to download and efficiently install all of the North America roadmap updates via USB (and others may disregard):

I inquired yesterday and Volvo Cares promptly responded with the following status update on the full and updated version of the North America roadmaps availability:

“The new update for the maps should be uploaded to the web site in the following weeks.”

According to the UK download site, the upcoming roadmap updates is projected to be around 31 Jan 2022. Those projections have been reasonably accurate (+/- one week).👍🤞

World Map Line Font Screenshot

#506 ·
Apologies. I have been remiss in updating post 1.

Not much new on Road Map updates except that the next update is expected around 31 Jan 2022, including the entire North America base maps which had not been updated since Sep 2021. (Individual subregions were updated but not the comprehensive North America.

Voice Control was updated in November 2021 which I totally missed. Has anyone tested it out to see if there are noticeable improvements?

#507 ·
I tried to install the November 2021 voice control update last month, but when I did, my car said I already had the lastest update installed. Has anyone else been able to install it?

#508 ·
I'm seeing the Voice Commands still on the release from January 2020. Note, I have a 2021 XC60 - which is running the version detailed below.

Software details
Release date01/12/2020
Voice data version31494215AA

#509 ·
I'm seeing the Voice Commands still on the release from January 2020. Note, I have a 2021 XC60 - which is running the version detailed below.

Software details
Release date01/12/2020
Voice data version31494215AA
I am assuming what I updated in Post 1 is newer for Voice Control.

32141802AA released November 2021

Caveat: Those with the new Android Automotive (e.g., MY22 XC60) should pay close attention for updates that are applicable for their respective Sensus UI. Cross-compatibility with the SPA MY16+ Sensus is unclear (at least to me).

#511 ·
Yea!

This 1370 release is the first available update for entire base North America maps since September 2021 for those who are interested.

Much faster and more efficient when using USB update process.

Reactions: Volvolic
#518 ·
Road maps update 1373 is now available for download. This update is only a week later than 1370.

Rectangle Font Art Magenta Logo

#519 ·
I updated all of the URLs in Post 1 to reference the HTTPS secure website.

Apologies for not having noticed that. Connecting to a HTTP unsecure would have likely generated a browser warning. Let me know if you encounter errors with the URLs now or in the future.

#520 ·
Better late than never...

For those who use the legacy Sensus Navigation which uses HERE map data, here is the link to the map creator so that you can report and fix map errors:
https://mapcreator.here.com/discover/?site=volvo_na_cs&l=39.4488,-62.5471,2,normal

P.S.: It is not known what agreement Volvo and HERE Technologies have in terms of frequency of updates once an error or new data is validated, and released. One can always check out HERE WeGo online or via the App to see if errors were corrected.

Reactions: sperho