SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Latest SPA MY16-MY2* Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info

180K views 610 replies 134 participants last post by  james_2708 
#1 · (Edited)
Roadmap Updates for convenient listing of Roadmaps, Voice Control, and Gracenote for Sensus (e.g., MY16-MY2* SPA series and SPA vehicles legacy Sensus).

Roadmap Updates and Instructions
1456 (Europe, North America, et al *)

Published
29 February 2024

Next Planned update:
04 Apr 2024

*Check your region's website for: Africa and Middle East, India, Israel, Pacific, South America, South East Asia, Taiwan, and Turkey

Roadmap Download Support Pages
US: Download the Latest Maps (NA-907_1456, 38.33 GB, MacOS)​
Note: Volvo Cars US recommends use of the US download site (not U.K.) for US models​

HERE Map Errors: Register on HERE's Map Creator to report and fix map errors.

Voice control: 32141802AA
US: Download the Latest Voice Control files, posted November 2021
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support, posted 01 Dec. 2020

Voice control commands: Voice Commands Updated: 25 Nov. 2021 US English
Gracenote: 31667039AA released May 2017 (base).
US: Gracenote
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support

Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
US: Apps Available for your Volvo Equipped with Sensus Navigation
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support

* Road map versions and dates may vary by map region. Road maps are generally updated monthly. Instructions for checking your version can be found on your Volvo region's Owner/Roadmap pages.

** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control was promoted to be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November). Practically, it is being updated once per year at most.

Sensus Road Map Update Strategies
1. Update your entire region (or desired subregions) a few days before you leave home.
2. Don't assume that you will always have a cellular connection. Even if you use maps on your mobile phone, you may still lose cellular connection regardless of location and carrier.
3. Have the latest base maps loaded on Sensus before you go so that you are not dependent on a cellular connection.

Over-the-Air (OTA) v. USB
OTA roadmap updates are available if you have adequate internet connectivity.
  • You must set your home region for OTA.
  • Turn on Auto Update so that your Home Region is always current, unless you routinely update base maps via USB.
Notice: You may receive notices in Sensus that a newer version of software (e.g., Apps or Roadmap) are available based on every installed subregion. Updating base maps via USB totally eliminates all of those subregion messages.

Road map downloads are packaged as subregions so that they are smaller and faster to download and install.

Update Methods
1. Over-the-Air (OTA) Update of your Home Region is the minimum and is sufficient for most. (It also minimizes the persistent "updates available" messages.)
- For MY17 and newer models, you have built-in 4G LTE VOC and Vehicle modems.
* 4G LTE is sufficient if you have good cellular connection and unlimited data.
* Otherwise, use your home WiFi (or a cellular 4G LTE or 5G cellular hotspot) and connect your car to your local WiFi or Hotspot. This can be the cheapest and fastest if available for your home region. OTA for multiple regions can work as long as you have the time available and do not install many large subregions.
- For MY16s and earlier, your vehicle will likely have 3G VOC and Vehicle modems which are no longer supported by cellular carriers or Volvo. A 4G LTE upgrade is available [now], subject to availability. Consider contacting Volvo Customer Care for a discount for the cost of the upgrade which can be as much as 30% off the parts (but not labor or tax). The cost of parts and labor can range from ~$900 to ~$1500 depending on your region and shop rates.

2. USB Update is the fastest method to update an entire base Region (e.g., NA) even though it may require ~35 minutes once downloaded to a USB memory stick from your computer.
* There is no dependency on cellular or WiFi connections with the USB memory stick.
* Best practice is to only have the white-bordered USB port plugged in with the memory stick. Unplug any other device or cable that might be plugged into the second USB port in the console (assuming that you have dual ports).

Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
See detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.

Notes
0. Disregard the reported version on VolvoCars US website as the data pulls from the global Volvo servers. The US webpage info tends to lags, and the link connects directly to the global Volvo server.
1. Road map updates occur ~ monthly in most markets. Voice control is ~ once per year.
2. Full Road map updates for a region (e.g., all of NA) can take up to 2.5 hours to download (e.g., full NA, 37 GB) from your computer to the USB drive. The install from USB to the vehicle takes about 35 min.
- The download app displays a progress percent complete. The elapsed time may vary depending the Class of the USB drive - Class 10 being recommended.
- Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete.
- Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
3. OTA road map updates are available in selected markets. OTA updates are most practical for your home region since the file size is smaller. However, if you wish to update multiple regions, it may be best to use the USB method rather than OTA. If you plan to update the entire map base (e.g., North America or Europe), the recommendation is to use the USB Update using at least a ~64 GB thumb drive in an ExFAT format. BE sure to turn off "Automatic Update" if you plan to use USB method as the OTA seems to conflicts with and overrides USB Update process - leading to "pauses" in the update process.
4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App - requiring you to initiate the download of the maps.
5. A fast, empty 64 GB USB drive (or larger) is recommended to be formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work. For models with dual USB ports, use the USB port that is enclosed by a white border.
6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
A. At home, you must babysit the car when USB and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake for about 35 min. at 6-7 min. intervals. Do not remove the USB drive until the install is 100% done - lest you may have a dealer visit in your near future. You may wish to connect a Battery Tender or Maintainer to maintain your battery charge level while the installation occurs for ~30 min. Do not start your ICE in the enclosed garage. A battery tender is safer.
B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than the 35 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off. Your Sensus Navigation will not be available while updating Road maps. At least on MY16s, navigation may not be available until after you have stopped, shut off your car, locked your car for a couple of minutes - allowing Sensus to effectively re-boot.
C. Voice control installation must be performed separately from road maps.
D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
8. For MacBook users, The download app now supports 64-bit applications. Reformat a USB drive on your Mac rather than use a PC formatted drive as a precaution.
9. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it. Also, a dealer may charge for labor.
10. If you encounter an error with the OTA update, there are two options.(A) Shut the car off, lock it and let it recycle for several minutes and try again; or (B) Download to a clean USB drive, verify its contents, and install via USB port. Try a different USB memory stick and/or reformat the memory stick.
11. You may update one or more smaller regions (e.g., UK) even though you may have originally installed the full region. The other, older maps for the larger market (e.g., Europe, North America) will be retained until the entire base map is updated in its entirety.
12. Be sure to download the SPA version which should have SPA in the name of the download site or file. For USA, go to Volvo Customer Help US.
14. Install any and all pending Volvo and third app updates first before installing road map updates as they tend to interrupt the road map update process.. Close the app before the update (e.g., Pandora); otherwise, the installation may hang up.Likewise, if a subregion map is already updating, let that subregion update finish before attempting to use the USB method to update the entire base map.
15. If your installation seems to stop, pause, or shows no progress, be patient. Some updates can take longer and it appears that pending Volvo and third party apps may have, or take, priority over map updates.
16. If all else fails, try to re-install Voice Control, and then re-install maps. Sidwin and a Volvo dealer in DEN did this with help from Volvo Tech Support. However, if your vehicle has the latest voice control software this option may not work since the installer detects an older version on the USB than what is installed in the car. This workaround does not always work if you have the latest version of Voice Control.
17. If OTA is installing your Home Region, let it finish first. If you try to install from the USB while your vehicle is installing your Home Region OTA, the OTA will pause and create an issue - leaving you without navigation until the vehicle resolves it. If the full USB does not install, you may end up with a partial install and no navigation which takes you to Step 16 and likely the dealer.
18. Please don't complain about the frequency of road map updates. Turn-by-turn directions and other enhancements are typically included. More frequent and free updates are better than infrequent updates at a cost. (e.g., Toyota and other brands).

See less See more
#123 ·
Almost sounds like the USB port is bad. Can you connect media or phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#125 ·
Hi Estor, I am from Poland too, although now I live in the US, I had an issue with downloaded map to USB too, I found that the upgrade files should not be in a folder (katalog) on USB drive, you should move all files out of the main folder on the uSB drive and then plug it in, alt least that worked for me a few months ago, let me know, hope it helps

#127 ·
Are you using a Windows PC, MacBook or something else? The USB drive must be completely empty at first (and no folders or catalogs). On a MacBook, after I download the latest installer for the particular set of maps, I then launch the installer from the download folder. The installer launches the program asks to install on a USB drive or a hard drive. The USB drive is recommended and just make sure it has enough capacity (32 GB, except full US requires 64 GB). Then the download of the map files begin which takes me about 2 hours for the full US (~33 GB) onto the USB drive. For the US, there are multiple files, but I did not think any of them were .zip files.

Your region and installer may be completely differently, but maybe an email to Volvo Sweden could get you a response and direction. Good luck.

#128 ·
I’m feeling rather obtuse, but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to update my maps with USB.

Details:
• Current version is 1134
• 17 XC90 with May Sensus update dealer installed (Android Auto icon present)
• two USB ports in vehicle, one with white border
• CarPlay works flawlessly with said USB port

I have formatted my 32GB usb to FAT32. Tried without adjusting what was downloaded from Volvo site (i.e. zip file) and also tried unzipping contents and redeposting back in drive.

Plug in usb to white lined port (and other one just to check) and Sensus never recognizes it or indicates its presence despite the led light on the usb thumb drive lighting up. Using a MacBook.

Any sage advice appreciated! I’m feeling like a doofus.

I mainly use Apple maps via CarPlay because I like the destination predictions based on history, but it would be nice to update the Sensus map and give it another go.

Thanks in advance.

#129 · (Edited)
Consider getting at least a 64 GB USB which is required for the full NA download. (128GB is fine too.). After having named (e.g., VOLVO) and formatted the USB your Mac, you should be good to go. Each time you want to update your roadmaps, you will need to erase everything on the USB drive so it is clean (i.e., no files and no folders).

1. For a Mac, make sure you click on "Download the [North America] map upgrades here for MAC" on the Volvo webpage.
2. Then on your Mac, you would locate the file that downloaded to your download folder on your hard drive called "Sensus_Update_SPA_North_America.dmg".
3. Double-click that file. An application dialog box pops up with the Volvo logo on the left and Applications on the right.
4. Double-click on the Volvo logo that then advises you that the file is an application and confirm that you want to open it.
5. Then click on + New Download and choose USB (Recommended).
6. Then another dialog box opens to select your destination drive; scroll down the left side to find your empty USB by name (e.g., NONAME, VOLVO); Select that USB, and finally click on Open. (Do not select what appears to be a drive Sensus_Update...)
7. A new dialog box appears with a progress bar.
8. Your Mac will then download onto your USB.

The download can take ~ 2.5 hours to the USB - depending on the speed of your USB drive.
  • Make sure that
  • Your Mac is plugged into AC power;
  • You have your Mac Energy Saver settings for Computer Sleep is set to Never (or at least 3 hours) during this task on the Power Adapter tab;
  • Your patient until the program indicates that it is finished.
P.S.: Be aware that some dialog boxes or applications may be hidden behind another window. Some programs may not be given focus and do not always appear on top. Best not to use "maximized" windows. FWIW

Note: In Step 5, as an alternative, you could create a Volvo folder on your hard drive (if a Solid State Drive, SSD) and designate that drive and folder; then copy the Volvo folder to your USB. I have not tried this myself. It may or may not be faster. If you have an SSD (rather than a HDD), it might reduce the overall time. Maybe someone who has tried it could report on whether it is faster.

#145 ·
Consider getting a 64 GB USB which is required for the full NA download. After having named (e.g., VOLVO) and formatted the USB your Mac, you should be good to go. Each time you want to update your roadmaps, you will need to erase everything on the USB drive so it is clean (i.e., no files and no folders).

1. For a Mac, make sure you click on "Download the [North America] map upgrades here for MAC" on the Volvo webpage.
2. Then on your Mac, you would locate the file that downloaded to your download folder on your hard drive called "Sensus_Update_SPA_North_America.dmg".
3. Double-click that file. An application dialog box pops up with the Volvo logo on the left and Applications on the right.
4. Double-click on the Volvo logo that then advises you that the file is an application and confirm that you want to open it.
5. Then click on + New Download and choose USB (Recommended).
6. Then another dialog box opens to select your destination drive; scroll down the left side to find your empty USB by name (e.g., NONAME, VOLVO); Select that USB, and finally click on Open. (Do not select what appears to be a drive Sensus_Update...)
7. A new dialog box appears with a progress bar.
8. Your Mac will then download onto your USB.

The download can take ~ 2.5 hours to the USB - depending on the speed of your USB drive.
  • Make sure that
  • Your Mac is plugged into AC power;
  • You have your Mac Energy Saver settings for Computer Sleep is set to Never (or at least 3 hours) during this task on the Power Adapter tab;
  • Your patient until the program indicates that it is finished.
P.S.: Be aware that some dialog boxes or applications may be hidden behind another window. Some programs may not be given focus and do not always appear on top. Best not to use "maximized" windows. FWIW

Note: In Step 5, as an alternative, you could create a Volvo folder on your hard drive (if a Solid State Drive, SSD) and designate that drive and folder; then copy the Volvo folder to your USB. I have not tried this myself. It may or may not be faster. If you have an SSD (rather than a HDD), it might reduce the overall time. Maybe someone who has tried it could report on whether it is faster.
Hi Gary,

Probably a dumb question, but is a 128 GB drive OK too, or is there some sort of 64GB limit?

#130 · (Edited)
On a MacBook Pro, here is what the contents should look like on a USB drive once the roadmap files are properly downloaded and installed on the drive. Notice that there is no Zip file.

This is a download for all of NA although this partial screenshot does not include all 36 files.

#131 · (Edited)
On a MacBook Pro, here is what the contents should look like...
Many thanks for that screenshot and for your advice. My thumb drive contents definitely look nothing like that... there is a zip but even when I extract the files they appear different. I have only tried to load my region (TX) so maybe I should try all of NA. Thanks again. I am going to tinker around with it soon.

#132 · (Edited)
Once you have the files loaded correctly onto the USB, make sure that the USB is plugged directly into the appropriate USB port. For select MY17s and beyond, that is the one with the white border around it. (SaabFan, I realize you did that correctly so this is for everyone else as a reminder.)

BTW: You may use a USB extension cable (1:1) which I do to prevent damaging the in-Car USB port. An add-on USB multi-port [likely] will not work. See posts 7 and 8 at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-USB-Connection&highlight=USB+connector+cable for the mini-extension cable. This allows the user to avoid overuse of the car's USB which would be more expensive to replace.

#134 ·
Great to hear that you were successful. I totally empathize as I am a kind of MacBook novice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#136 ·
Here is what I can think of:
Check your date, time and date and time settings. Use Auto for time zone. If in AZ, wait until Sunday when the rest of the country flips back to std. time.

Some have had to reset by unplugging the battery. There are other threads on this. It is not for the faint of heart because of the fragile connectors.

#137 · (Edited)
1193 Now available

I show an update as of today on my XC90 sensus display. When I came online to downoad the entire thing onto USB, it is downloading version 1193 for North America. The Volvo site still says version is 1190, but when downloading it downloads version 1193. Just thought you might want to update your page.

For convenient listing of Roadmap, voice control and Gracenote for Sensus (e.g., MY16+ SPA series).

Summary of Latest Roadmap Updates and Instructions (as of October 22, 2017):
1190, September 8, 2017: Europe, North America, Pacific, Africa, Middle East, South America, Israel, Southeast Asia, Turkey, India
1191, September 21, 2017: Taiwan

OTA Roadmap Updates: Possible for smaller regions or subregions, but not larger regions due to file size.

Map version: version 1190* released September 8, 2017
US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378 US site: 1190 posted 09/08/2017
UK: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=spa&cstype=map&cscount=8

Warning: VCNA recommends use of US download site (not U.K.) for US models

Voice control: 31466196AA released April 24, 2017 **
US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9765 US site downloads latest version even though it still references 31654529AA
UK: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=spa&cstype=speech

Gracenote: 31667039AA released May 2017.
US: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9849
UK: http://support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/pages/downloads-area.aspx?csid=spa&cstype=gracenote

Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
US: @ http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9752/year/2016/model/XC90
UK: @ http://support.volvocars.com/uk/Pag...015160fce4ac#4e9fce00d0afd800c0a8015123e96919

* Road map versions and dates may vary by map region. Road maps are generally updated quarterly now. OTA is available for select regions with smaller files. Check your specific region and your market's support website if not North America or Europe. Instructions for checking your version can be found on your Volvo region's Owner/Roadmap pages.

** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control will typically be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November)

Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
See detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.

Notes
1. Road map updates have slowed to about every calendar quarter. Voice control is about twice per year.
2. Road map updates can take up to 2 hours to download and has a progress percent complete. Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete. Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
3. OTA road map updates are not practical for large file sizes, such as full US at ~32 GB. If you only have a smaller region installed, OTA update is reportedly possible. Use your WiFi connection and save your mobile data if you can.
4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App.
5. An empty 64 GB USB drive is recommended for larger downloads (e.g., full US) formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work.
6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
A. At home, you must babysit the car and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake.
B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than
the 30 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off.
C. Voice commands must be performed separately. Be sure to have Sensus 2.0 (TSU May 8, 2017 or later installed before installing April 2017 voice commands which should be included with TSU and maybe Service Update.
D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
7. Per. Volvo, verify that your build (before Nov. 14, 2016) has at least the November 2016 total software update before installing the newer road maps and voice commands. If you do did not and do not experience any issues, you may be fine.
8. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it (from my experience).
9. For MacBook users, see posts 129 and 130 on webpage 4 for more detailed steps.

P.S.: I will review the posted information monthly and try to keep this information current. Please post if you find an update before me.

#138 ·
^ Thanks. First post is updated now.

#140 ·
I wonder if there is any benefit to having the entire North America map if I never plan to drive the car outside the region I am in...? Will having the national map that is updated also be more up to date on the regional map? I am still waiting for Volvo to provide more detail like street names without having to zoom in so close on the map.

#141 · (Edited)
It is up to you. The states of KS and NE are next door, but are in the North Central region. If never is never, then your call. Personally, I will invest the few extra minutes to update the entire NA map is up-to-date. I have never downloaded just a regional map but that may offer you the automatic OTA download if it is small enough. I doubt that the western US Mountain region is small enough for OTA, but others may know for sure.

The beauty is that you get to decide and then change your mind if you want.

#142 ·
The new November 2017 Voice control is now available. 32218646 I have not installed yet so no experience with it.

#144 ·
Road Maps 1196 for selected regions is now posted (as of November 28, 2017)

#146 · (Edited)
No limit (that I know of). I use a 128 GB USB memory stick myself.

Note: I updated my post above to say at least 64 GB and that 128 GB is fine.

#154 ·
Updates offered once; not done; never offered again. ???

About a week ago after startup the screen showed updates were available for system and for apps. I did not do any update at the time; too many other things going on and the trip was to be less than five minutes long. At the next startup, and all startups since, no updates were shown to be available. I had done a full GPS update OTA earlier; perhaps it was in September. Also, a Pandora update was done over the air several weeks ago.

Any explanation, clarification, or suggested next move by me?

Thanks.

#155 ·
About a week ago after startup the screen showed updates were available for system and for apps. I did not do any update at the time; too many other things going on and the trip was to be less than five minutes long. At the next startup, and all startups since, no updates were shown to be available. I had done a full GPS update OTA earlier; perhaps it was in September. Also, a Pandora update was done over the air several weeks ago.

Any explanation, clarification, or suggested next move by me?

Thanks.
I had this happen with the "Volvo ID" app a few weeks ago. I ignored the update and when I went back to manually look for it, nothing showed up. Eventually, I was prompted to update again and didn't ignore it the second time.

Apparently, some apps will only update when they trigger the option and don't show up when you manually check.

#157 · (Edited)
Post #1 was updated. All maps for SPA Sensus were updated by Volvo except South America which still has 1190. Pacific has 1201. The remaining regions have 1200. US site downloads 1200 despite the webpage not being updated yet probably due to holidays. Thanks Rommself.

#159 · (Edited)
Updated maps are available
- 1203 for Europe, NA, and Pacific
- 1201 for South America
- 1200 for remaining markets.

Newbies: Review the top of this stickie for details. Remember, a 64GB memory stick is needed if plan to install entire regions that easily exceed 32GB. Some regional installs take just over 40 GB. If need to buy a memory stick, generally go with the fastest read/write speeds.

#163 ·
Next Sensus update would typically be early May 2018. The May updates have historically been significant.

If you have a long road trip planned in May, you want to defer the update until June. With that said, though, the last (Nov 2017) update was pretty solid and stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#166 ·
Thanks. I will update the versions by region, et al later today.