Latest Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by DenverJaguar View Post
      I wonder if there is any benefit to having the entire North America map if I never plan to drive the car outside the region I am in...? Will having the national map that is updated also be more up to date on the regional map? I am still waiting for Volvo to provide more detail like street names without having to zoom in so close on the map.
      It is up to you. The states of KS and NE are next door, but are in the North Central region. If never is never, then your call. Personally, I will invest the few extra minutes to update the entire NA map is up-to-date. I have never downloaded just a regional map but that may offer you the automatic OTA download if it is small enough. I doubt that the western US Mountain region is small enough for OTA, but others may know for sure.

The beauty is that you get to decide and then change your mind if you want.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 11-17-2017 at 06:56 AM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The new November 2017 Voice control is now available. 32218646 I have not installed yet so no experience with it.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      It is up to you. The states of KS and NE are next door, but are in the North Central region. If never is never, then your call. Personally, I will invest the few extra minutes to update the entire NA map is up-to-date. I have never downloaded just a regional map but that may offer you the automatic OTA download if it is small enough. I doubt that the western US Mountain region is small enough for OTA, but others may know for sure.

The beauty is that you get to decide and then change your mind if you want.
      Just adding my two cents. Certain regions are not listed on the Volvo page (eg Canada) but it is included in the North America update.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Road Maps 1196 for selected regions is now posted (as of November 28, 2017)

Consider getting a 64 GB USB which is required for the full NA download. After having named (e.g., VOLVO) and formatted the USB your Mac, you should be good to go. Each time you want to update your roadmaps, you will need to erase everything on the USB drive so it is clean (i.e., no files and no folders).

1. For a Mac, make sure you click on “Download the [North America] map upgrades here for MAC” on the Volvo webpage.
      2. Then on your Mac, you would locate the file that downloaded to your download folder on your hard drive called “Sensus_Update_SPA_North_America.dmg”.
      3. Double-click that file. An application dialog box pops up with the Volvo logo on the left and Applications on the right.
      4. Double-click on the Volvo logo that then advises you that the file is an application and confirm that you want to open it.
      5. Then click on + New Download and choose USB (Recommended).
      6. Then another dialog box opens to select your destination drive; scroll down the left side to find your empty USB by name (e.g., NONAME, VOLVO); Select that USB, and finally click on Open. (Do not select what appears to be a drive Sensus_Update...)
      7. A new dialog box appears with a progress bar.
      8. Your Mac will then download onto your USB.

The download can take ~ 2.5 hours to the USB - depending on the speed of your USB drive.
      • Make sure that
      • Your Mac is plugged into AC power;
      • You have your Mac Energy Saver settings for Computer Sleep is set to Never (or at least 3 hours) during this task on the Power Adapter tab;
      • Your patient until the program indicates that it is finished.

P.S.: Be aware that some dialog boxes or applications may be hidden behind another window. Some programs may not be given focus and do not always appear on top. Best not to use "maximized" windows. FWIW

Note: In Step 5, as an alternative, you could create a Volvo folder on your hard drive (if a Solid State Drive, SSD) and designate that drive and folder; then copy the Volvo folder to your USB. I have not tried this myself. It may or may not be faster. If you have an SSD (rather than a HDD), it might reduce the overall time. Maybe someone who has tried it could report on whether it is faster.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Hi Gary,

Probably a dumb question, but is a 128 GB drive OK too, or is there some sort of 64GB limit?

No limit (that I know of). I use a 128 GB USB memory stick myself.

Note: I updated my post above to say at least 64 GB and that 128 GB is fine.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-02-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added note

Same here. I did a full North America load on a 128GB USB.

Thanks. I'm downloading now and giving this a shot for the first time. My last map update was OTA and used up a lot of my "free" modem data, so I don't want to do that again.

Which USB port should I use in the car, or does it matter? I have two--one of which has the white box around it.

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      Which USB port should I use in the car, or does it matter? I have two--one of which has the white box around it.
      The white box...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Jason M.

2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Osmium Gray Metallic | Amber/Charcoal
      Packages & Options: Climate w/HUD | Convenience | Vision | Leather Dash | Air Suspension | Bowers & Wilkins | 21" Wheels | Mud Flaps | Bumper Cover
      OSD: Sweden - May 23, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by jtmachen View Post
      The white box...

I will add that info to the instructions. (I have a MY16 so only one USB.)

Received an OTA map update to 1196 for my home area. It didn't continue through the list like it has before. Perhaps this is a compromise between ATT and Volvo, not all maps are updated OTA - just the home area.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      Received an OTA map update to 1196 for my home area. It didn't continue through the list like it has before. Perhaps this is a compromise between ATT and Volvo, not all maps are updated OTA - just the home area.
      Had the same experience yesterday.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Updates offered once; not done; never offered again. ???

About a week ago after startup the screen showed updates were available for system and for apps. I did not do any update at the time; too many other things going on and the trip was to be less than five minutes long. At the next startup, and all startups since, no updates were shown to be available. I had done a full GPS update OTA earlier; perhaps it was in September. Also, a Pandora update was done over the air several weeks ago.

Any explanation, clarification, or suggested next move by me?

Thanks.
      Present autos:
      2018 XC90 T6 delivered 8/28/17: Momentum Plus; Convenience; 20" double 5 spoke wheels; Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires changed to Michelin Premier LTX 8,300 miles; heated steering wheel; charcoal leather; luminous sand
      1930 Model A Ford Cabriolet
      Volvo history: 2005 S40; 2005 XC90; 2009 XC90; 2014 XC60; 2018 XC90

Quote Originally Posted by rnb View Post
      About a week ago after startup the screen showed updates were available for system and for apps. I did not do any update at the time; too many other things going on and the trip was to be less than five minutes long. At the next startup, and all startups since, no updates were shown to be available. I had done a full GPS update OTA earlier; perhaps it was in September. Also, a Pandora update was done over the air several weeks ago.

Any explanation, clarification, or suggested next move by me?

Thanks.
      I had this happen with the "Volvo ID" app a few weeks ago. I ignored the update and when I went back to manually look for it, nothing showed up. Eventually, I was prompted to update again and didn't ignore it the second time.

Apparently, some apps will only update when they trigger the option and don't show up when you manually check.

Just ran the update and it installed version 1200 for North America. If you use the UK link and look at the details it shows that on 12/20/2017 they updated to 1200.

Just an FYI......

Post #1 was updated. All maps for SPA Sensus were updated by Volvo except South America which still has 1190. Pacific has 1201. The remaining regions have 1200. US site downloads 1200 despite the webpage not being updated yet probably due to holidays. Thanks Rommself.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-30-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Tweaks

Maps ver. 1200 show now live traffic in Dubai (finally !)

Updated maps are available
      - 1203 for Europe, NA, and Pacific
      - 1201 for South America
      - 1200 for remaining markets.

Newbies: Review the top of this stickie for details. Remember, a 64GB memory stick is needed if plan to install entire regions that easily exceed 32GB. Some regional installs take just over 40 GB. If need to buy a memory stick, generally go with the fastest read/write speeds.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-03-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks, Gary. Much appreciated!

Any idea when the next sensus update will be? Planning for an update soon and would wait if next update close by. I don't have the November update yet, this is in US.

Updated maps are available
      - 1203 for Europe, NA, and Pacific
      - 1201 for South America
      - 1200 for remaining markets.

Newbies: Review the top of this stickie for details. Remember, a 64GB memory stick is needed if plan to install entire regions that easily exceed 32GB. Some regional installs take just over 40 GB. If need to buy a memory stick, generally go with the fastest read/write speeds.
      Thanks, not sure will update this time, since android auto all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
      Any idea when the next sensus update will be? Planning for an update soon and would wait if next update close by. I don't have the November update yet, this is in US.
      Next Sensus update would typically be early May 2018. The May updates have historically been significant.

If you have a long road trip planned in May, you want to defer the update until June. With that said, though, the last (Nov 2017) update was pretty solid and stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
      The next Sensus update typically be available the first half of May 2018. The May updates have historically been significant.

If you have a long road trip planned in May, you want to defer the update until June. With that said, though, the last (Nov 2017) update was pretty solid and stable.

The next Sensus update typically be available the first half of May 2018. The May updates have historically been significant.

I show North American map version 1206 is now available using the update tool
      Last edited by jtmachen; 03-04-2018 at 01:37 AM.
      Jason M.

2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Osmium Gray Metallic | Amber/Charcoal
      Packages & Options: Climate w/HUD | Convenience | Vision | Leather Dash | Air Suspension | Bowers & Wilkins | 21" Wheels | Mud Flaps | Bumper Cover
      OSD: Sweden - May 23, 2017

Thanks. I will update the versions by region, et al later today.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmachen View Post
      The white box...

Mine is updating through the port without the white box. When it was plugged into the white box, it wasn't doing anything. But that may be because I also had a USB drive with music in the port without the white box. I pulled out that USB drive, and inserted the one with the map update, and it recognized it and started to download.

Anyone having trouble getting recent map updates installed?

For the past two weeks I will a message on Sensus that my local maps are loading via internet, however each time the install fails. An error message is then presumably sent to Volvo. As the map update is occurring on its own, I have no idea what is throwing the error. Map is the US Mid-Atlantic region.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      Anyone having trouble getting recent map updates installed?

For the past two weeks I will a message on Sensus that my local maps are loading via internet, however each time the install fails. An error message is then presumably sent to Volvo. As the map update is occurring on its own, I have no idea what is throwing the error. Map is the US Mid-Atlantic region.
      Yep it keeps failing to install through wifi after multiple tries. I guess only way is to use USB and update manually.

Mine notified me the other day that there were updates and it automatically started to download my home area. I also downloaded another area and both had no problems installing over the network although it did take a long time.
      "Electra" ~ 2018 XC90 T8 R-Design Bursting Blue ~ Driver's Log ~ Gallery
      Gone but not forgotten: "The Beast" GMC Yukon XL Denali ~ "The STI, aka Dexter" Subaru Impreza WRX STI ~ "Dixie" VW Passat GLX

Hello. I'm in the UK and version 1210 Europe is available as of yesterday (23rd March 2018). If Volvo read this, it would great to get a line on the update page about what has changed, the updates are coming quickly this year. Great they are doing lots of work, thank you, but worth knowing if the update is relevent or useful - does it have changes for every country in Europe, are they crital errors being fixed or just a minor ammendment in one country?

A second question please - I have installed a previous version of all Europe after orginally just having United Kingdom (it includes Iceland too). Downloading the latest Europe version to USB is 45GB. Our internet is so slow, it's estimating 22 hours. If I just download United Kingdom (1.7GB), will I be able to install that and retain other countriues, will it even accept a "part install" or will it even corrupt the database? Anyone tried installing just part of a bigger area like in the USA? Many thanks.
      XC90 MY2018 (New, UK spec June 2017): D5 R-Design. Onxy Black Met. Black Nubuck/Nappa Contour Sports. 20" 5-Spoke Diamond Cut/Matte Black. BLIS, Heated screen & washers, X-Traffic, Rear Collision, 360 deg cameras, Park Assist, Panoramic Sunroof, Heated Rear Seats, CarPlay, Subwoofer, idiot installed in driver's seat.

Good news! As of yesterday 23 March 2018, all markets now have v1210 for roadmaps available for download. No changes yet for voice control but that could be coming in the May 2018 if stars align. No update for Gracenote but that is probably updated OTA once base is installed.

@Road Noise: I have not tried a partial update that was preceded by a full update to know if the other older maps are retained. I doubt that you would have to worry about data corruption in that scenario but I am no DBA particularly if you retain your Home region (e.g., UK). My guess is the other maps would not be present since the Sensus seems to reflect only one version (e.g., 1210).

As far as the contents of the update, it would be useful to have a summary of any functional Navigation updates. Of course, we expect the updates always include corrections, changes, additions and deletions of roadways, addresses and points of interest.
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 03-24-2018 at 01:59 PM.

I Just given up on volvo maps.. Just using android auto, waiting for major sensus update.

This stickie and thread is intended to share the latest information about Sensus RoadMap updates for those who choose to use Sensus for Navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Noise View Post
      A second question please - I have installed a previous version of all Europe after orginally just having United Kingdom (it includes Iceland too). Downloading the latest Europe version to USB is 45GB. Our internet is so slow, it's estimating 22 hours. If I just download United Kingdom (1.7GB), will I be able to install that and retain other countriues, will it even accept a "part install" or will it even corrupt the database? Anyone tried installing just part of a bigger area like in the USA? Many thanks.
      I previously had updated the entire Canada and USA maps by using a USB hard drive because of the large file size. I was planning on doing the same thing with this latest update and had already downloaded the files, but before I could, I was notified of the update over the network. As I mentioned, my home area downloaded automatically and I was given the option to update individual map areas across the region manually. I manually updated another area and left all the others. All areas of the map still seem accessible. I just assume that POI and road changes wouldn't be reflected in those areas.

My goal is to insert the USB with the complete update to see if it will recognize that some areas were already updated and only make the required changes, or if it will overwrite everything. I might try that later today.
      "Electra" ~ 2018 XC90 T8 R-Design Bursting Blue ~ Driver's Log ~ Gallery
      Gone but not forgotten: "The Beast" GMC Yukon XL Denali ~ "The STI, aka Dexter" Subaru Impreza WRX STI ~ "Dixie" VW Passat GLX

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast