Anyone use the Volvo leather kit?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone use the Volvo leather kit?

I've become a little batty over keeping the interior of my XC90 clean and am looking forward to giving this kit a try. One question - do folks wash the sponge and cloth after using it?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jonomite View Post
      I've become a little batty over keeping the interior of my XC90 clean and am looking forward to giving this kit a try. One question - do folks wash the sponge and cloth after using it?

I've never used that kit. But I use Chemical Guys exclusively on all my cars and recently on my Mercedes. I use a microfiber wash for my towels after each vehicle I detail. Chen guys and griots garage both sell microfiber towel wash. For me chemical guys have been outstanding. Check out their leather care kit. And buy it during a sale. They offer them all the time usually around holidays

I've been thinking about getting it as a gift for someone, and probably for myself while I'm at it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have used the kit and really like the product. I didn't wash the sponge or cloth after using them. Waiting to use it again as soon as the weather cooperates!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Anyone have a close up picture of what leatherette looks like in these cars? Is it standard for the T5?

The leatherette is standard for the T5 M and M+, at least in the US. Sorry, no pictures. It was OK to sit on, but not as comfortable as the leather, and you could tell that it was going to be unpleasant in hot weather.

You can get pictures on-line, for sure at many Volvo dealer's websites, where they have interior pictures of XC90s for sale on their lots.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
      I have used the kit and really like the product. I didn't wash the sponge or cloth after using them. Waiting to use it again as soon as the weather cooperates!!!
      I'm trying to figure out if they need to be washed or not. Seems like it should be washed over time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

Anyone use the Volvo leather kit? One question - do folks wash the sponge and cloth after using it?
      I use the Volvo leather kit and like it. Originally I used the provided sponge with the cleaner, but eventually stopped because it was absorbing so much blue jean dye that I thought it might be spreading it as much as it was cleaning. Instead, I squirt a little cleaner onto the tip of a leather cleaning brush (see below) and scrub the blue jean dye away. Once the leather is clean, I use a microfiber cloth to wipe the leather dry and wipe off any bristles that have come out of the brush. I wash the microfiber cloth in the laundry after every use with the rest of my detailing cloths.

I have been cleaning the seats every 1-2 weeks since we purchased the car about a year ago and have used the conditioner about four times. I haven't washed the conditioner cloth yet and will probably just throw it away when it gets too crusty to be effective and use a diaper or old t-shirt to apply the conditioner instead.

Here is the leather cleaning brush I purchased from Amazon. It sheds a lot of bristles at first, but eventually that slows. I bought a second brush to use on other interior surfaces - especially textured surfaces like seat backs which are difficult to clean with a cloth.

SM Arnold Professional Interior and Upholstery Brush
      Last edited by SDspeed; 07-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus, Vision, Climate, CarPlay, Invisihitch

I have always tended to get rather neurotic about maintaining a spotless car interior, especially the leather. I've used the Volvo kit three times, so far, and like the fact that the conditioner retains the matte appearance of Nappa leather. Both cleaner and conditioner seem to be effective, quality products. I've been fortunate with our Charcoal leather and haven't removed much dirt at all from it; so haven't felt the need to rinse the sponge yet. But I am especially careful about conditioning the dash, door panels, and driver's seat bolster often = about monthly.All other leather surfaces are treated about every two months.

I've machine-washed the conditioner cloth once without apparently damaging it. So the kit's cloth is more durable than I thought. At the same time, this cloth is nothing special,so I may just use a microfiber cloth instead. I hope this helps you.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription in Onyx Black w. Charcoal, Convenience, Climate/HUD, Vision, Bowers & Wilkins, air susp., 21" wheels, booster seat.

2008 V70 in Seashell Metallic w. Black leather, 17" wheels - our dog carrier and overall workhorse.

I have used the Volvo Leather kit and leather wipes (which are portable and convenient) for over a year. I have rinsed the foam applicator and I let it air dry. No problem. I don't like re-applying the blue dye the next time I clean the leather.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Many thanks to all for the helpful responses.

2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

Before getting the car I purchase the C Quartz leather protector unbeknownst to me Volvo's included this leather kit. I'll try the kit for cleaning.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Before getting the car I purchase the C Quartz leather protector unbeknownst to me Volvo's included this leather kit. I'll try the kit for cleaning.
      If you have a blonde interior, you may want to check out this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?294017-PSA-C-Quartz-Leather-coating!-WARNING!

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription, Savile Grey, B&W, Vision, Convenience, HUD, 4C Air Suspension, PA-II, Pole✦

I have amber. So far so good.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invisihitch, Polestar

I've been using the kit on my '16 XC90 and '98 V70 XC. Works like a charm!

2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      1997 V70 XC AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I have used the Volvo Leather kit and leather wipes (which are portable and convenient) for over a year. I have rinsed the foam applicator and I let it air dry. No problem. I don't like re-applying the blue dye the next time I clean the leather.
      Got to use the leather kit today and did as you described.......thanks for the heads up.
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

I just received the kit, is the protection cream supposed to be very liquidy/watery? Or more cream like. I’m not sure if heat during shipping screwed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by terpfan101 View Post
      I just received the kit, is the protection cream supposed to be very liquidy/watery? Or more cream like. Iâ€m not sure if heat during shipping screwed it up.
      You will need to shake it, but it is a bit watery.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 02 Jul. 2020 | 46K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

I've used it exclusively on our 2017 and 2020 XC90's, both with black Nappa leather. Volvo's kit is outstanding and really helps keep the matte finish. The 2017 with 66,000 miles looks near new with virtually no creasing, even in the driver's seat. I first bought CQuartz, and the box had a large sticker on it stating "do not use on Volvo leather." Returned it and realized Volvo's product is very good.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements