DIY: R design guages for your S80
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

DIY: R design guages for your S80

Disclosure: Many parts are small, fiddley, and brittle. I am not responsible for those parts broken or inoperable after completion.

This mod took me roughly 45 minutes to complete, and yes as fairly easy. Please give your self time to not feel rushed.

Tools:
      Small to medium Phillips head screw driver
      T25 bit driver
      Bone pic/ small flat head used for prying

Parts: You can do s full swap but the millage will be off and may be able to be programmed. To avoid this mess I bought a broken/ for parts gauge cluster out of a 2010 XC60 R Design.

You will need to remove 3 screws from the top of the cluster housing. 2 are for the overhead light panel while the 3rd is the in the center at the top while looking at the back of the cluster.

Once the screws are removed and the overhead light mount is pulled away you can begin to carefully pry the clips. Pry all the black and clear plastic clips being careful not to break any. These are extremely fragile. The clear fascia and black housing will pop out with relative easy. The Trip meter button will also slip through with out any hangups

You will be left with this

You will no longer need to remove any more screws from the donor cluster. Gently begin to pry up the outer silver ring and blue gauge face from the clear plastic below. I highly suggest starting from the top left away from the needle and working your way around. Again be very careful as not to damage the needle let alone the gauge face. These are almost paper thin and like everything else brittle plastic. you will need to break this free from the center black ring around the info screen. Once free you can slip the face around the needle and pull it out all together.

Pulling your original cluster
      Start by putting you steering wheel in the lowest and farther out position it will go. Pull on this black trim piece at the base of the cluster and it will snap freely of the dash. Be sure to pull out not up.
      [imghttps://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16806864_10112987137070094_8175901362077384370_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=RjmDgwN2IuAAX9OKLcQ&_nc_ht= scontent.fphl2-2.fna&oh=5efc54eb79c2b5713d696b0e590776c4&oe=5ED94 AB7[/img]

This lower piece is also connected to a soft vinyl cover connected to your steering column. do not force this it will unclip easily.

here is is removed. You will also now have access to the 4 T25 screws 1 on each lower corner and 2 above. Use a bone pick to pull the top of the cluster down and then pull out. There is 1 wire harness on the left side which will have enough room to pull out and unclip.

Repeat the steps from the donor cluster to remove the boring faces on your original cluster. Be extra careful here as you will be putting this one back together for daily use.

Here is the most tricky bit installing the faces into your original cluster.
      You will slip the face around the needle and in reverse of earlier pry the gauge face around the black center ring. The black ring will sit higher then the gauge face when complete. Make sure the face is seated right before continuing. In this process you will bump the needle, do your best not to move it
      once completed it will look identical to your donor cluster before you started but now you have your odometer and display screens you know work.

Take a moment before putting you fascia back up to clean up. you don't want any dust or finger prints inside the cluster. Also let things dry completely to avoid any moisture.

Final assembly will look like this and it ready to reinstall on the car.

Finally reinstall the wire harness, 4 t25 screws, and the lower trim piece and wala

Go for a test drive with a giant smile and enjoy
      Last edited by Bboarder711; 02-05-2020 at 06:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

PURDY!!!
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

nice work
      2017 S90 Inscription (daily)
      2016 S60CC (next generation Volvo driver)
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Is there any way to get the pictures back? I'm going to attempt this on my '12 XC60 soon.
      2007 S60R TF-80SC Sapphire/Nordkap - TME Springs / IPD Subframe Inserts / do88 IC
      2012 XC60 T6 Platinum / Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
      Is there any way to get the pictures back? I'm going to attempt this on my '12 XC60 soon.
      Photos are updated this should help.

Even with your disclosure, I will hold you personally responsible for any broken parts and send you a bill.....lol Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Even with your disclosure, I will hold you personally responsible for any broken parts and send you a bill.....lol Looks great!
      Ha ill just send you a the broken cluster

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements