A Modest XC Build - Page 43
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
    Results 1,471 to 1,505 of 1593
      Quote Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
      UPDATE: I noticed that Tire Rack has the Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus on close out so I did some research. Pirelli has updated one of our favorite tires, now designated the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II.

Beta testers raise your hands.
      I thought about it, but I benefited from the Version 1 being on special so they could push Version II. They cost me only about $200 more than the Nokians and less than the runner up in the Yokohama catalog and quite a bit less than the Michelin A/S 3+ or the Continental Extreme Contacts. If I go back to a 20" wheel I think the only great option would the the A/S 3, unless the P7 II goes is going to be made in my sizes. I think they hadn't given sizes back when I ordered. I don't remember... Currently the sizes are limited for the P7 II, and even thought the sales pitch says it is lighter TireRack says II weights 28 lbs, but so does Version I.

I'm going to give these P7s a good run. I've been let down by every Pirelli I've had, so I'll see long term how I feel about them. I'm still very happy with them at this point. Comfortable and composed with no drawbacks. I've driven them in the wet too and have not experienced any of the uncertainty in the wet traction that reviews comment on.

If you give them a go, pass on your comments! I would love to hear it, especially if you've been running version I.
      Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]
      Owner of the only P3 V70 T6 in North America

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Joseph got a new accessory last weekend.

Last edited by ProlixArgon; 02-10-2020 at 06:39 PM.

That is a gorgeous car. But hmm, I’m not sure about the cross bars, though I have no room to judge as I have them on my 09 farm cruiser (oyster gray version of your loaner). Did I mention that is a beautiful car? Of the wheels so far, I like those best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by torrencelodge View Post
      That is a gorgeous car. But hmm, I’m not sure about the cross bars, though I have no room to judge as I have them on my 09 farm cruiser (oyster gray version of your loaner). Did I mention that is a beautiful car? Of the wheels so far, I like those best.
      Aww, thanks! Joseph is less modest than me and loves attention. If it would stop raining and get warmer he might even get a nice bath!

As for the wheels? I do really like this set, but I won't disagree with the general consensus that the Cratus is #1 best. I like the tires I can put on a 19" better though...

I won't disagree with you at all on the cross bars. I have actually used a set of cross bars in a functional way once in my entire life. They were free though, so hard to say no.... I plan to keep them on until Carlise in case I take a load of things up/back. Last year I brought back a two sets of tires and a set of wheels. Having space on the roof would be nice if I do that again.

Wow, Justin. That's impressive. A 3.2?
      Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

I'm diggin the crossbars. I like!
      I won't disagree with you at all on the cross bars. I have actually used a set of cross bars in a functional way once in my entire life. They were free though, so hard to say no.... I plan to keep them on until Carlise in case I take a load of things up/back. Last year I brought back a two sets of tires and a set of wheels. Having space on the roof would be nice if I do that again.
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Wow, Justin. That's impressive. A 3.2?
      Yes, those who say the I6 is unreliable has apparently never owned a Volvo before. Great engines and the lowest maintenance power plant to date that Volvo has used. It has it's share of problems and potential problems, but by averages, it's very dependable and inexpensive compared to anything Volvo has ever used. Kind of boring, but very dependable; i.e. the normal string of adjectives Volvo always has generally aimed for.

Love the xbars very much. Suggest to shift the rear one bit forward for a better optical balance! Just aft of the roofmount imho.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

Good to know on the 3.2
      Those adjectives are what Honda has thrived on. Do everything OK, but nothing exceptional.
      Kind of boring, but very dependable; i.e. the normal string of adjectives Volvo always has generally aimed for.

Yes, good to hear about the 3.2. I’ve got 148k of trouble free miles on the 08 farm cruiser and those adjectives describe its service, though I love the ride and comfort on the long commute. I’m shooting for 300k!

Using Tapatalk

Good to know on the 3.2
      Those adjectives are what Honda has thrived on. Do everything OK, but nothing exceptional.
      I would not say this is exactly true of Honda per se. Their cars, as a total package, yes.
      But the engines - engineer advances and breakthroughs on top of far above average reliability. It's no accident that Honda is the world's largest producer of combustion engines. Very rarely can you find a manufacturer that offers everything from a light-jet gas turbine engine to a tote bag sized generator motor.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Excellent point. I still love that old commercial with the formula one cars, the lawnmowers and everything in between in the same garage. My Honda’s were always bullet proof with motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      I would not say this is exactly true of Honda per se. Their cars, as a total package, yes.
      But the engines - engineer advances and breakthroughs on top of far above average reliability. It's no accident that Honda is the world's largest producer of combustion engines. Very rarely can you find a manufacturer that offers everything from a light-jet gas turbine engine to a tote bag sized generator motor.

Not exactly an exciting thing, but Joseph scored a new doodad with this carpet mat for the trunk area.

Not sure if I want it or not as I store a lot of things in the compartments underneath and this would restrict their access. I have the big plastic "bathtub" trunk area piece too, but I left it out as I would not be able access the storage bins at all then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That is actually a nice carpet mat, Justin. Where did you get it?

Honda kinda botched their turbofan engine for the Honda-Jet. It only gained approval after extensive redesign by GE here in the US, who is now 50:50 partner on the engines.
      Last edited by yidal8; 02-13-2020 at 07:58 AM.
      2013 XC70 T6, Flamenco Red
      2020 Jaguar F-Pace S
      2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by yidal8 View Post
      Honda does not manufacture their turbofan engines for the Honda-Jet. It was extensively redesigned after Honda partnered with GE here in the US.
      Yes and no. For the HJ, Honda began their jet engine R&D, provided proof of concepts, and first run articles in the 90's. About a decade later they formed a joint venture with GE to focus on Light Jet power plants - an area GE had no market presence in. But let's not get tangled in the brairs over what factory an end product comes out of. There are tons of contract manufacturers and JVs around who run production of their client's or partners design.

The overarching point the breadth of combustion engines Honda designs, produces, and has production partnership and interests in. There are very few classes Honda is not in. Commercial / Military diesel engines comes to mind - both land and sea. Industrial back-up generators. Rocket motors. I wouldn't be shocked if Honda tried to get into these markets soon enough since they seem to be a step behind on electrification.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

We're hi-jacking the thread from poor Justin a bit, and I do not have actual first hand knowledge of this but a friend worked at a machine shop in the early 90s. He said the cheap metal in Honda motors was astounding compared to the big block American stuff he was used to working with (drag racing), and yet - the engineering in Honda's work is far ahead, as can be seen with 300-400K motors that get by with little more than oil changes and light maintenance. Back to Joseph 'Technicolor?' thread...

It's been nearly a month on the P7s. Liking them? How many miles in?

Yes and no. For the HJ, Honda began their jet engine R&D, provided proof of concepts, and first run articles in the 90's. About a decade later they formed a joint venture with GE to focus on Light Jet power plants - an area GE had no market presence in. But let's not get tangled in the brairs over what factory an end product comes out of. There are tons of contract manufacturers and JVs around who run production of their client's or partners design.

The overarching point the breadth of combustion engines Honda designs, produces, and has production partnership and interests in. There are very few classes Honda is not in. Commercial / Military diesel engines comes to mind - both land and sea. Industrial back-up generators. Rocket motors. I wouldn't be shocked if Honda tried to get into these markets soon enough since they seem to be a step behind on electrification.

Bathtub style rear cover.

Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]l.com

Bathtub style rear cover.

60?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

We're hi-jacking the thread from poor Justin a bit....

It's been nearly a month on the P7s. Liking them? How many miles in?
      That's ok, hi-jack away. There is plenty of time for everyone. Joseph doesn't mind either.

As for the P7s? I like them a lot. Comfy and quiet, exactly what I was hoping for. We will see how they hold up long term as the tendency of all Pirelli's I've ever had is that they tend to wear out quickly.

Never had a set of pirellis for long. The set on the s60 died very quickly after i bought it. Who knows how old they were. I then switched quickly to the Bridgestones and they lasted 60+
      That's ok, hi-jack away. There is plenty of time for everyone. Joseph doesn't mind either.

As for the P7s? I like them a lot. Comfy and quiet, exactly what I was hoping for. We will see how they hold up long term as the tendency of all Pirelli's I've ever had is that they tend to wear out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAX View Post
      That is actually a nice carpet mat, Justin. Where did you get it?
      I got it from a car such as this one that lives on in spirit even though the body is very broken.

I see those wheels and i think T6.
      I got it from a car such as this one that lives on in spirit even though the body is very broken.

I see those wheels and i think T6.
      You wouldn't be wrong. They get cheaper and cheaper by the day. Now high mileage examples like this one roll in for parts. I can't save all the wagons, some need to live on in spirit only.

Want low mileage T6. My wife now has different ideas for her next car and we had an argument yesterday. Oh well.
      You wouldn't be wrong. They get cheaper and cheaper by the day. Now high mileage examples like this one roll in for parts. I can't save all the wagons, some need to live on in spirit only.

Want low mileage T6. My wife now has different ideas for her next car and we had an argument yesterday. Oh well.
      Sorry to hear that, Ms. Rrrracer absolutely loves her XC70 T6. What does she want to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrracer View Post
      Sorry to hear that, Ms. Rrrracer absolutely loves her XC70 T6. What does she want to get?
      She told me a T8 since the T9 isn’t out yet. Woman...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

Kids in college and now she’s full time for the first time in 22 years. “The wagon was a different time in my life. I’m a corporate woman now.” I said, “Wagons are so much better!” Guess how that went over...

Corporate woman... so what does she want, a limo?

There's an old adage... if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Apologies, not trying to make light of your situation, just a gentle ribbing!

Apologies, not trying to make light of your situation, just a gentle ribbing!
      I'm pretty sure it's OK to give grief. Hah, I'm pretty sure I heard her say a Range Rover is just the ticket for her new persona.

I'm pretty sure it's OK to give grief. Hah, I'm pretty sure I heard her say a Range Rover is just the ticket for her new persona.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

"Teacher fired for drinking on the job. Two students expelled for fighting and insubordination. Other than that, the first week of homeschooling went great!"

LOL I could get down with that kind of corporate image

Buy her a crappy Toyota sedan and move on. LOL
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 & 2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Kids in college and now she’s full time for the first time in 22 years. “The wagon was a different time in my life. I’m a corporate woman now.” I said, “Wagons are so much better!” Guess how that went over...

Mine never went for the wagon (we never had kids, the wagons have always been mine). However, she loves her S80. Maybe you could suggest an S90? Not my choice, but nice pedigree.

2008 XC70 (his), 2006 S80 2.5T AWD (hers), Past 1998 V70XC, 2004 V40.
      Using Tapatalk

Ian, see what you've started? We're here to save your marriage! Give us more info and we'll continue to solve all your problems.

Jokes of course. I don't actually hate on people wanting change, especially when moving past stages in life. Parents moving past the child stages is a big deal.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast