SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo MIA for DFW Autoshow

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bmo Pete 
#1 ·
I recall an announcement from Volvo some time ago their intent to scale back auto show presence. But alas, it seems the hangover has not yet developed. Volvo is showing absent for the DFW Autoshow in late March. Poor call Volvo. Our annual family recon will now be targeted at GMC Yukon Denali and an M3. Count two negative data points for this decision Volvo.

#3 ·
Our oldest begins driving by this time next year and we're planning to let her drive the XC-90 and get the wife a new SUV. She's been leaning towards something larger (Infiniti, Lexus or Yukon / Escalade) and I really think it'd be too much steel with one offspring driving themselves everywhere. So direct comparison at Autoshow would've helped me convince her grab T8 with B&W. and I'm ready for more power and the Germans could lure me away. I really want to stay Volvo fleet but no way am I going to loiter at a dealership. I'd rather pull my toenails out with pliers. And take a walk in the ocean...

#4 ·
I also despise going to dealerships but how would you test drive the car? You would not have been able to test drive one at the auto show most likely.

#6 ·
Fair point.

Half the time you can't open the trunk, no power to check out infotainment, can't test drive... Sounds like you need to check out a different dealership with a better atmosphere and take an overnight test drive.
Yes but one can direct compare interior room, build quality, seat comfort, etc and narrow search. However, your point of an overnight test drive is a really good suggestion. Think Volvo will let me do that with a S60P or a T8?

#5 ·
It always amazes me how people hate to go to dealerships.... You guys must have had some awful terrible dealerships to feels this way. I stop frequently at the dealership to check out what's new, see a new color, grab a free cappuccino and talk with someone waiting in service about the brand....they are such a relaxed, friendly and casual place to be. That's a shame that you won't buy a car just because you can't stand to go to a dealership. Auto shows are really a great place to quickly compare a few cars, but with the lines of people and hustle and bustle it would be a terrible place to actually "get serious" about looking at a car. Half the time you can't open the trunk, no power to check out infotainment, can't test drive... Sounds like you need to check out a different dealership with a better atmosphere and take an overnight test drive.

#7 ·
Maybe "despise" was too strong a term. I love the brand, have bought many Volvo's, but just don't like hanging out in dealerships or frankly any retail establishment. The nearest one is a half hour from my house so when I get there I like to do what I have to do and head on to my next stop. I am typically only interested in a particular car that a store happens to have, so I make an appointment, show up on time, and then wait as the salesman finishes up, searches for the magnetic plate or keys to drive the car, or sorry, the sales manager took that one home for the weekend - come see us next week! The best time for me to just walk around and look at the different models is early in the morning when I drop off a car for service - before the salesmen get there.

#8 ·
Sounds like you suffer from a very poorly organized dealership, and that's a shame. Car shopping should be an event, something enjoyed and exciting. It's a shame more people don't have the great dealerships I work with. I've made some very good friends there, and half the time I look forward to a "break down" for warranty to fix.....just another chance to drive another loaner car (that I get to pick out) and evaluate another model I might be interested in next time.

Volvo is indeed at auto shows....just one's where they think their presence makes an actually impact on brand sales and recognition. Once the next 2 years go buy, Volvo is going to have so many in-deemand cars I'm sure you will see them back at more shows, because the buzz around Volvo is about to get really, really big I'm sure. XC90 SUV of the year, S90 runner-up for Car Of The Year, and in 2 weeks the XC60 reviled, then later in the year the XC40...then the sporty S60. THEN they will really have something to show to the public at auto shows!

#10 · (Edited)
XC90 SUV of the year, S90 runner-up for Car Of The Year, and in 2 weeks the XC60 reviled, then later in the year the XC40...then the sporty S60. THEN they will really have something to show to the public at auto shows!
Boy I hope the XC60 is not reviled, lol;)

#9 ·
Also no show at DC auto show a few weeks ago.

F-Pace was a terrible fit for a tall person.

Dodge Challenger GT (AWD) is my new guilty pleasure.

#11 ·
Also no show at DC auto show a few weeks ago.

F-Pace was a terrible fit for a tall person.

Dodge Challenger GT (AWD) is my new guilty pleasure.
Yep, we were very disappointed not to see any Volvo's at the (big) DC show. I was happy to see the Baltimore dealers made an effort at the small-ish Baltimore Motor Trend sponsored show earlier this month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.