Attention V8 owners who are towing or are planning on towing...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Attention V8 owners who are towing or are planning on towing...

I doubt that this has ever been brought up but I would like to make you aware of a special feature that has been programmed into the transmission of the V8 models, so as to not feel something "could" be wrong with your car.

If you ever install the tow hitch, once the electrical connection is activated (meaning you have plugged your connection from the trailer to the hitch), the acceleration in 1st gear will be slightly reduced. It is a feature that has been specially programmed in the V8 models in order to reduce any accidental wheel spin.

I would assume that it may come in handy as you are pulling a heavy, and partially submerged, trailer loaded with a boat up a very wet ramp.

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Attention V8 owners who are towing or are planning on towing... (GrecianVolvo)

Thanks for the heads up!

Re: Attention V8 owners who are towing or are planning on towing... (GrecianVolvo)

I wonder how this would affect trying to get my snowmobile trailer up a steep, snowy/icy driveway? Sometimes, wheel speed helps in situations like that. I guess I could always just unplug the harness and see the difference.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Attention V8 owners who are towing or are planning on towing... (kowalcs)

Or you could just turn off DSTC spin control wth the button.

BTW, doesn't the presence of a trailer change the AWD behavior? The XC90 sales literature for all years/models seems to indicate it biases the rear a little more.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
      I doubt that this has ever been brought up but I would like to make you aware of a special feature that has been programmed into the transmission of the V8 models, so as to not feel something "could" be wrong with your car.

If you ever install the tow hitch, once the electrical connection is activated (meaning you have plugged your connection from the trailer to the hitch), the acceleration in 1st gear will be slightly reduced. It is a feature that has been specially programmed in the V8 models in order to reduce any accidental wheel spin.

I would assume that it may come in handy as you are pulling a heavy, and partially submerged, trailer loaded with a boat up a very wet ramp.

Yannis

This condition will only occur if you get the software download. The software will also turn off the parktronic when a trailer is plugged in.

2015.5 XC70 Platinum T6, Polestar, Heico Suspension, IPD Swaybar, IPD Skid plate, BBS SR wheels || 2013 BMW X5M || 2013 F150 Platinum
      Past Volvos: 2003 XC70 || 2004 V70R || 2005 XC90 V8 || 2005 XC70

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements