AVOID ARD Tuning at all costs.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The day has come where I too have decided ARD is a bag of male parts
      This story is really long, so tl;dr Robert offered me a good setup for forged internals, then failed to delivery information and parts in a timely fashion all while my car was down (I ended up buying from Viva after 3 weeks of headache). Then, they sent me a cloned ECU with core which didn't work at all, and refused to give me my money back. They claimed that I didn't give them a chance to fix the issue, but I wasn't able to spend 2 or more weeks waiting for them to come back to work from their "family emergency" so I had to take my business elsewhere in the meantime.

I'm sure I missed some details.. but..

*** UPDATE *** I just noticed that they removed their "star rating" and reviews from Facebook, because I posted a nasty review there. They completely removed it because I wrote a nasty review. That seems a little unfair, right?

So, basically - My tune from ARD is ****. It produces knock like it's nobody's business, and lead to the cracking of cylinders on two motors (going on my third)

I had been speaking with ARD for MONTHS about him making me an updated tune for my car since it wasn't performing correctly. I wasn't aware it was knocking until years after when I learned enough on how to do some basic data logging. So, I blew a second motor before he could provide me an improved tune.

Since I had blown the motor already, I spoke on the phone and through email to have ARD provide forged internals for me on an 81mm block. That basically never happened.

I asked Robert to give me the dimensions of the set of 147mm rods he suggested for weeks so that way I could have JE custom make me some pistons, because JE's production time is nearly half that of Wiesco. Robert wouldn't fill out the order form for me because it's "against his company policy". So, since he wouldn't fill it out (even though JE and Wiesco are partners, and it's not a conflict of interest) I asked him for the dimensions of the rods so I could fill out the form myself. Keep in mind, weeks had gone by before he first refused to fill it out, then more weeks went by and I still didn't have the dimensions of the rods I intended to purchase.

During this waiting period, they decided that there was such a pressing family emergency that nobody of any competence could run the shop and fulfill orders. So I was waiting yet again. I spoke with their daughter whom was useless, she wasn't able to get the information I needed. I didn't want to pay for the rods until I knew I could have pistons made, and they couldn't make them without dimensions.

They told me it was against company policy to provide details about the manufacturers parts, part numbers, dimensions, etc. WTF? Are you kidding me? So, I can't know what I'm buying until it shows up?

Either way, this isn't where stuff hit the fan. I ordered a cloned ECU for a car through my place of business. I sent the ecu to be cloned in, and it took nearly 3 weeks for the ECU to return with a cloned copy. Of course, it didn't work at all. No crank, nothing. At this point, they had already left the office for "up to two weeks or longer" and weren't able to rectify the non-working ECU. So because MY customer was waiting for their car to be driveable with the cloned ECU that was supposed to work, I couldn't make them go without a car for another two weeks or more (on top of the 3 weeks it took ARD to send a clone) I asked for a refund since they had a family emergency and couldn't fix the problem.

She wasn't happy and offered me $80 of my $225 spent on the clone.

I wasn't going to accept that. She got mad because I didn't give them a chance. Well, sorry if you have stuff going on, I've got customers without cars. I can't wait around for you to do whatever you need to do and not run your business, that's unacceptable. So I demanded my full refund.

At this point, they did give me my refund back, but then decided that they didn't ever want to do business with me again....

But wait, my tune is still garbage.

I've emailed several times, and called, my calls are hung up on and emails are going ignored, all because I asked for a refund on a defective product. Not to mention I waited nearly 5 weeks for them to NOT give me anything else I needed. So all of this time I've been without a car.

FINALLY Connor (CMOD) at Viva came to the rescue and got me what I needed.

So now I've got a garbage tune, and Michele has a grudge against me for making them lose $200.

Not to mention, their softloader failed and bricked an ECU for one of my friends, which he had to pay out of pocket for. Also, this wasn't the first time their cloned ECUs and tuned ECUs failed to work in cars I've worked on.

So, please, don't ever give them your business. They can't manage to do anything correctly.

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/unre...wfs36.jpg.html
      Last edited by DrBrutal; 03-09-2017 at 06:39 PM.
      05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

that sucks, thanks for posting

btw your links don't seem to work
      | 04 V70R Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 | Hilton Stage 2 | Mototec DP & Touring Exhaust | ERST Springs | Summer Mode: 18" Fast FC04A | Winter Mode: 18" Pegs |

I think this has been on the forums for awhile. I am sorry for your experience

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
      2004 Volvo S60R M66, http://imgur.com/bkyJ9HY Gobi. Snabb intake pipe, IPD engine mount, intercooler, 3" catback, Magnaflow resonator and muffler, Phuzzy DP, Synapse DV, Snabb OTE charge pipe
      [Sold] 2004 Volvo S60T AWD Side: http://imgur.com/2rM2Lex
      My Build Thread

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
      that sucks, thanks for posting

btw your links don't seem to work
      For some reason they're not working. I'll fix it later.
      05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

Why would you ever do business with Lucky. It's been known for years that he has no clue what he's doing. The dude is an idiot and a scam artist. I don't know how he still does business. He's a joke. Even if I could order parts from him and have them be cheaper (which would never happen) I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Just hearing the stories on his awesome "return policy" for any product or service made me stay away. I was ready to pull the trigger 1 week before all the bad reviews starting coming out but for some reason, I didn't. I'm so grateful for that. Hilton all the way. I wouldn't buy a $10 bill for a quarter from ARD.
      05 S60R Auto Magic Blue - OBX catless DP, Hilton Tuning Stage 2 Tune. 3" Exhaust (Res removed) with Borla Muffler. After tune: do88 IC, Snabb Turbo intake pipe. Hybrid K24 (Not installed).

Quote Originally Posted by darkcrime View Post
      Just hearing the stories on his awesome "return policy" for any product or service made me stay away. I was ready to pull the trigger 1 week before all the bad reviews starting coming out but for some reason, I didn't. I'm so grateful for that. Hilton all the way. I wouldn't buy a $10 bill for a quarter from ARD.
      They had never done me really wrong until this. I'll be switching to Hilton once the funds are available...

If you're able to, I'd suggest doing a chargeback through your credit card company. Completely ridiculous. Need John Taffer to shut them down.

You should submit a review through the BBB: https://www.bbb.org/oregon/business-...ro-or-22828549

You should also submit a review via their Facebook page.
      Last edited by JoshV70_; 03-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.
      2007 Volvo S60R - Electric Silver/Nordkap/M66
      2006 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race 394/500
      2001 Volvo S60 Challenge Factory Race Car
      1998 Volvo C70 Euro-Import - Saffron/GT/5 Speed/Ohlins
      1998 Volvo S90 Factory Limo

Ouch. Not that this company was on my radar but good to know regardless. That's what the community is about. Sorry to hear about the BS you went through.
      2016 V60 Polestar - rebel blue
      2002 Sierra Denali

I was just browsing the ARD website and then thought Id check SS for some reviews, then this pops up lol. Sorry to hear that man, strange the guy hasnt tried to make good on the whole thing with all these bad reviews.
      05 V70R BSM, 6MT

So I had bought a ard wastegate for my car, it come in and the rod wasn't even long enough to fit on my wastegate door. Luckily I had a eBay one that had a extended end on it. I put it on and my car performed like ****. I told them about it and they told me to send it back. Exact words send it back to their address. So i did. Called them for my refund and they said that I didn't put a rma number on it and they can't tell if I'm the one that sent it. EVEN THOUGH MY ADDRESS IS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX! So they offered me a 40% refund and I took it and told them to go play with themselves. And that's not the way to do business. Didn't even tell me to put a rma number on it and said they couldn't tell if it was from me because the address was faded on the box from shipping. I seriously will never ever recommend anyone to buy anything from them. At all period.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      Why would you ever do business with Lucky. It's been known for years that he has no clue what he's doing. The dude is an idiot and a scam artist. I don't know how he still does business. He's a joke. Even if I could order parts from him and have them be cheaper (which would never happen) I wouldn't.

^^^

First thing I learned when I bought an R 3 years ago--stay away from ARD...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

For what it is worth, I bought an IPD tune for the 2005 I owned before this 2007 R. It was flawless and they were great to work with! It gave me excellent power. It may not have the "zip" of some of the others, but it will not destroy your car. I'm sorry for your issues, but thank you for warning the rest of us.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

I have bought a Forge CBV and Pierburg TCV from him and had no problems. The Forge part was slow to ship (direct ship from Forge) and he refunded me 17.50 for the shipping and sent a bunch of swag as an apology.

I just wanted to share my recent experience because the internet is full of bad reviews and most times a happy customer just goes on their way. Just my 2 cents.
      05 Volvo V70R, 6spd. 200k. Kaplhenke subframe bushings, Snabb turbo intake, Forge CBV
      '94 BMW 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: 238k, mid restoration.
      '93 BMW 325is Coupe, Black/Black, 276k, work beater.
      '04 Toyota Sienna, Engine swap in progress to a BMW I6, 5spd, RWD. Build thread
      '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 202k
      '99 Nissan Maxima: 5spd, Rusty but trusty winter beater. 252k RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jc43089 View Post
      I have bought a Forge CBV and Pierburg TCV from him and had no problems. The Forge part was slow to ship (direct ship from Forge) and he refunded me 17.50 for the shipping and sent a bunch of swag as an apology.

I just wanted to share my recent experience because the internet is full of bad reviews and most times a happy customer just goes on their way. Just my 2 cents.
      I have purchased a compressor wheel off of ard and couldn't make up my mind what I wanted and got good service with that but I think their returns is where they struggle the most

Before Michele got involved, and it was just Rob, they kept to their word. Now they can't function, especially with Michele doing the orders and taking phone calls. That's pretty much why they're going to fail. She doesn't know anything and can't be a responsible business owner and unfortunately she does all the business. I'm honestly not sure that Rob even knows that she is avoiding me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      They had never done me really wrong until this. I'll be switching to Hilton once the funds are available...
      Oh I bet. I work in customer service and know you can't make everyone happy. I focus on how a company handles an issue, and after seeing so many people with issues and a lack of a good response, I couldn't work with them. The issue that stuck with me is someone said they bought a tune, then read all the horrible reviews afterwards. The tune wasn't given to the customer yet, and he wanted a refund. No refund given. It sucks as a small business to lose money like that, but hey, if the customer backs out before anything was done at all (no labor lost, no product shipped), then you give the customer a full refund.

I'm sure they have some happy customers, which is cool, I will not be one of them though.
      05 S60R Auto Magic Blue - OBX catless DP, Hilton Tuning Stage 2 Tune. 3" Exhaust (Res removed) with Borla Muffler. After tune: do88 IC, Snabb Turbo intake pipe. Hybrid K24 (Not installed).

I've only had one interaction with ard and it was decent. I sent my ecu in just to have the rear o2 deleted and they sent it back to the wrong address. When i told them i never got it, Lucky went out and got an ecu for me and sent it right away along with tons of stickers and coffee mugs along with a written apology from his wife.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
      2006 S60R 373awhp
      2007 S80 V8

2006 V70R Black GT 377 awhp TME Exhaust, Girodisc 2 piece rotors IPD Sway bars, HD end links, Strut Brace, Poly engine mounts EST CAI, Silicone hose kits, SNABB intake, IPD HO coils,Enem Y21, CamsRaceS60R FMIC,Majestic Hybrid Turbo, HFS-4 water meth ElectronicsSPA digital Boost/EGT, ScanGauge II, Bel STiR ,Laser Interceptor HD front jammer, Mobileye collision avoidance system , LED interior lighting, ImiV, 2 USB, AARP member,

Quote Originally Posted by reward2 View Post
      For what it is worth, I bought an IPD tune for the 2005 I owned before this 2007 R. It was flawless and they were great to work with! It gave me excellent power. It may not have the "zip" of some of the others, but it will not destroy your car. I'm sorry for your issues, but thank you for warning the rest of us.
      That's cuz it was probably a MTE tune. Not one of Lucky's. He's quite the Jesus freak bible reader too. I'm surprised he doesn't mind fuuckking people left and right. Typical hypocrite.

Last edited by SonicBlueR; 03-09-2017 at 01:21 PM.

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post

Bump!! ^
      2007 Magic Blue S60RFull Custom STAGE3|1offTurbo|Projector HID| |Full LED Interior|Tires MPSS|AEM| 4" SNABB Intake|3 1/8" Turboback Exhaust|Bob Vila Mod|IPD Poly SubFrame Bushings|IPD Boost Gauge|IPD Throttle Inlet|Short Shifter| Ipod Adapter|BLACKED Front Grills|BLACKED Wheel Caps|Badge Delete|18%Tint|Gun Smoked Lights|IPD R Door Pins|IPD Poly Engine/Trans Mount

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasThoen View Post
      I've only had one interaction with ard and it was decent. I sent my ecu in just to have the rear o2 deleted and they sent it back to the wrong address. When i told them i never got it, Lucky went out and got an ecu for me and sent it right away along with tons of stickers and coffee mugs along with a written apology from his wife.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
      Yeah, Michele sent an ECU to the wrong address for me too. Luckily, I was able to get it from them, since it was my old Landlords place still. However, the address she sent it to was way beyond old. They had shipped stuff to me at TWO other updated addresses before ****ing that up, and my current address was even listed on the order AND on the return address of the package I sent them. She wasn't even sorry.

To me, as a small business focusing on Volvo's there will always be unhappy customers, it's what you do with those angry customers that is really important.

Like 5 years ago I wanted to order some simple stuff from them, glad I didn't. Thank god I wasn't thinking of a tune from them even then.
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

I've read far too many negative reviews of ARD to ever consider purchasing from or recommending them to anyone. Something is definitely not right over there.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

Wow, thats awful to hear. I feel bad for my friend with an ARD tune on his A4. He doesn't know much about cars, but he told me it boosts up to 22psi according to his boost gauge, which does NOT seem very safe for a stock otherwise B7 A4.
      completely unable to go through drive thrus

Had to shorten my flair because it was becoming disgustingly long

2004 M66 Passion Red V70R // StevO tuned, Rolling Motors built B5244T5 w/ Spec lightweight flywheel, stage 1 head, custom catted/catless DP plus more
      2004 M66 Electric Silver S60R (Sold) // 2004 AW-55 XC70 // 1996 AW72L 965 (Sold) // 1987 AW77 745 Turbo (Sold)
      1993 AW70 245 Wagon(with only 97k!!) (Sold) // 1988 AW70 245 Wagon (Sold) // 1987 M47 244 Sedan (Sold)
      1997 M56 850 Estate (Sold) // 1979 BW35 242DL (Sold) // 1996 AW30-43 960 Sedan (Sold) // 2007 AW55 XC70 Adventure package (Sold)
      2007 AW55 XC70 Adventure package parts car (Parted out) // 1996 AW50-42LE 850R Estate w/ 16T and Blues (Sold)
      1993 M47 245 Slicktop (Sold) // 1986 M46 245 Slicctop "Butter" // 1994 945 Turbo (Sold) // 2005 M66 Passion Red S60R // 2005 M66 Electric Silver S60R (Sold)

The worst part is the total denial. Any time there's a problem he blames the customer. He told me that to my face, that all the bad reviews are by people who have high mile junkers with no maintenance and all the sensors are bad.

Of course he was telling me this while screwing up my 60k original mile, perfectly maintained stage zero car, that ran flawlessly until the day he touched it. And to nobody's surprise it ran flawlessly again as soon as I took his tune back off of it. And I gave him 18 months to fix it, and he couldn't.

He refused me a refund as well.

The best was another guy in our Denver Volvo club who wanted a 4" maf tune on a '98 C70. After waiting for months, Lucky finally admitted that he couldn't program it, or that m4.4 couldn't be programmed for it. Michelle still refused to refund his money, claiming that they couldn't be sure he wasn't using the tune anyway. Basically accusing the customer of theft, to justify literally stealing from him.

It's really sad too, because he had a great rep up until he took on ME7 tuning and got in over his head.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 03-10-2017 at 12:27 AM.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

So if I want a tune, ARD is the best way to go?

Bahahahaha! Ever since I joined SS, this has been a recurring theme. ARD's tunes blow engines. Hilton seems to have made every one happy. I've looked into JZW in CO too. Hilton seems to be the most connected with the north east Volvo community, so he gets a lot of good press on here.
      1989 740 Turbo Plus, M46, red leather, and a few mods
      2004 S60R The Phoenix
      2000 V70R Sobek - Sold to my brother
      1976 245 Cthulhu - new project
      1995 940 Thor - something diesel awaits

Quote Originally Posted by titan joe View Post
      So if I want a tune, ARD is the best way to go?

Bahahahaha! Ever since I joined SS, this has been a recurring theme. ARD's tunes blow engines. Hilton seems to have made every one happy. I've looked into JZW in CO too. Hilton seems to be the most connected with the north east Volvo community, so he gets a lot of good press on here.
      Difference between hilton and the rest is he's not a tech or mechanic first then a tuner... he's an electrical engineer...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by stomish View Post
      Wow, thats awful to hear. I feel bad for my friend with an ARD tune on his A4. He doesn't know much about cars, but he told me it boosts up to 22psi according to his boost gauge, which does NOT seem very safe for a stock otherwise B7 A4.
      I would seriously tell him to look at his air/fuel ratios. He loves to crank the boost up and not run any more fuel. Time bomb right there.

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      Most people I've met who push the jesus/business angle do so as a cover for their shifty ways.
      That has been my experience too. Sad.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

As soon as you see something like that with a business run. I can't believe they are still in business what a bunch of scammers.
      2018 Leadfoot Ford Raptor.
      05 S60R MT, Stock block 578AWHP, 12.2 1/4 mile at 124 mph. Built 804 AWHP. Built engine, Cnc ported head, Front & Rear LSD, Ported Gen 2 T4 GTX3584RS hybrid, Turbosmart 45mm WG, Tial QR Bov, Enem Y21 Cams, Radium Surge tank, 1700cc Id's, Triple Walbro 485's, PM3, Devils Own meth injection, speed density converted mafless setup, Bell FMIC, Snabb air box, Poly, Milletech intake manifold, IP plasma coils, IP Plasma lift. Snabb shifter. TTV Twin Clutch. GB Forgestar F-14's, Enkei RSF5, KW V2'S, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars. Built to the hill.

Based on all of the negative reviews I would not put an ARD tune on my R. There are a handful of R tuners out there and for a single tuner to get all of this negative press, something must be up. I bought a tune years ago on sale or a group buy. I was waiting on a few upgrades and repairs before having them start the work. As more and more negative reviews started coming in, I asked if I could get a refund since no work had been started. The answer was no. I tried selling the tune but nobody would buy it. I went back to ARD and we agreed that I could put the purchase price of the tune toward a new LUK DMF.

That all being said, Dougy has had good things to say about ARD's tune on his 850(?). Unless things have changed, Ron has also had positive results with ARD working on his high speed P2V70R build. I also haven't heard any complaints regarding the actual hardware work that Lucky does at his shop relating to repairs and rebuilds. He was very helpful when I wanted to pick his brain on issues surrounding the M66 swap. With all of the negative reviews over the years and now with the them pulling their FB star ratings down, my thought is that they should consider removing their P2R tuning packages from their product line altogether. They seem to have done well with the other models and with their custom build work but their P2R tune offering is killing their image in the R community. It's consuming their time and energy to service complaints and I have to wonder if the revenue stream is actually worth it.

For the R, maybe focus on engine rebuilds and upgrades and partner with someone like Hilton for the tuning work.
      2005 S60R MT Swap: CNT DP, PhMIC, Forge CBV, IPD Stage II Tune, WiseCo pistons, CXRacing rods, Viva inconnel exhaust valves, Viva stainless steel intake valves, shimmed block, 12mm x 17mm spacers, IPD track spec sways, Projector retrofitted headlamps, among other things.

In my opinion after having or tuning with just about every tuner out there...

I use

https://hiltontuning.com/ - Rob for ME7 or newer
      http://beust.spintek-poi.com/ - Aaron for M4.4
      Last edited by dougy; 03-10-2017 at 12:26 PM.
      1997 Avalon
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      In my opinion after having or tuning with just about every tuner out there...

I use

https://hiltontuning.com/ - Rob for ME7 or newer
      http://beust.spintek-poi.com/ - Aaron for M4.4
      This is pretty much the only choices for having a good tuned car

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast