SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Brought down to earth

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  JimLill 
#1 ·
OK, I just finished my 2900 mile trek from Nevada to Virginia. The car did great, I was a little worried about the P-Zero's since they had 15K miles on them but they had enough tread left on them to give it a try and I had no problems at all, even when I hit bad weather.

So I am in Virginia looking for a new house with my realtor when she mentions that she and her husband are looking for a new sport sedan. Well, I immediately go into the all the things I like about my car and how it performs and such. I also mention that they are fairly rare and that in the year that I have owned the car, I have never seen another R. And of course, the very first neighborhood we go to, there's an '05 Ti S60R parked in front of a house. I kind of shrug it off and mention what good taste that person must have. The very next neighborhood we go to, I see an '04 Silver S60R parked in a driveway. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't seen another R in the whole year that I've owned mine and then I see two in one day. Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut about cars after that.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (M-R)

if i didn't know any better, i'd swear it's a VA thing. every time i remind my friends or my wife how rare my V70R is, we see a handful of other Rs within hours! sheesh.

just last weekend:
- FG V70R (sweet!)
- two Ti V70Rs -- yes, different cars
- silver V70R -- hotness
- Ti S60R
- red S60R

#5 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (Vipergtsz3)

Quote, originally posted by Vipergtsz3 »
In the year and a half I have had the R I have seen a total of 4 in NJ. Not too bad considering the number of cars this state is swamped with. Sadly, all of the R's I haev seen were automatics though

I've had mine for 2+ months and I think I've seen only 1 in that time in Jersey. Mine is an MT6 so look out.

#8 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (lax01)

Quote, originally posted by lax01 »
damn, they're just a Volvo...I hate to burst your bubble, but they aren't rare...I see them everyday (yes the Rs)...maybe you old guys need to get your eye sight checked?

i'm tellin' ya -- it's a VA / DC metro thing -- there must be forty Rs in the area. god only knows why...

#9 ·

damn, they're just a Volvo...I hate to burst your bubble, but they aren't rare...I see them everyday (yes the Rs)...maybe you old guys need to get your eye sight checked?

3 things-

damn, they're just a Volvo
-Go drive one and you will understand.

I hate to burst your bubble, but they aren't rare...I see them everyday (yes the Rs)
-Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as i know Volvo was only importing a few thousand R's to North America (1500-2000 a year). This number is pretty low in comparison to almost any car in the category. I see very few S4's and Audi is shipping something like triple the number of S4's to the U.S. in comparison to the R.

maybe you old guys need to get your eye sight checked?
-I'm just as old as you.

#11 ·

why would i need to drive one when my car is faster?

2nd, I doubt the dealer will let me test drive one..but maybe if I went with my dad...
how old are you? I'm only 21

Lol. i guess you'll just have to take my word for it on the driving one then. You do have me beat on the turning circle of your car though. I'm 21 as well.

#15 ·

True, it is "just" a Volvo, but like I said, I hadn't seen another one in the year I owned mine. Granted, I lived in the Reno area but I did see a few S55's and a CLK55 in that time and they have to be more rare than an R.

#16 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (Vipergtsz3)

Quote, originally posted by Vipergtsz3 »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as i know Volvo was only importing a few thousand R's to North America (1500-2000 a year).

More like 5,000-5,500 (I believe fewer than 1/3 of them Vs). There were some stats here on the board a while back.

#18 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (andrewket)

Quote, originally posted by andrewket »
One of the Ti V70R's was probably mine... I work in Chantilly and live in Vienna.

think i had one of the two Ti sightings at the shopping center near 28 and 50 -- across the street from the lexus dealer. perhaps that was you?

#19 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (fbox)

One of the Ti's could have been me. I was at the Lowes on Sunday at that shopping center. I have the v70R with the eurorails and bike rack on top. I live in Fair Oaks/Fairfax.

Yes, I have seen more than a few Rs recently. Most driven by women, (contrary to the demographics of this group)...

#22 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (RACE R)

Quote, originally posted by RACE R »
Any V70R Ti manual w/atacama out there. Just curious of how rare this combo is. I have only seen 2 other V70R's in the Raleigh area and 2-3 60R's.

This would be a perfect use of the Rbook, of which there is a link in one of the stickies at the top of the forum. My guess would be more than red/atacama though....

#23 ·

Any V70R Ti manual w/atacama out there. Just curious of how rare this combo is. I have only seen 2 other V70R's in the Raleigh area and 2-3 60R's.

We had a Passion Red 2004 V70R GT that was trade-assisted (after it died) into a 2005 Magic Blue V70R 6MT. An employee of Weaver bought the 04 after it was finally fixed apparently, so I've seen it around town a few times. Other than our old car, there are two other V70R's I see around here. One is black, and the other one is red.

Did you just get your car? Weaver? Welcome to the board.

Chuck

#25 ·
Re: Brought down to earth (ChuckB)

We got ours through the european delivery program with the help of Weaver in May. I have seen one other Ti V70R at a house over by North Hills. I have also seen the Black and Red one but I have missed your car somehow. The blue sounds like a great color. Might be more V70R's around than I thought.
Have you done any mods to your car? Either way, how is Weaver to deal with for service?

#26 ·

We got ours through the european delivery program with the help of Weaver in May. I have seen one other Ti V70R at a house over by North Hills. I have also seen the Black and Red one but I have missed your car somehow. The blue sounds like a great color. Might be more V70R's around than I thought.
Have you done any mods to your car? Either way, how is Weaver to deal with for service?

Weaver has been excellent. I've taken the 855R there for service since 1998. Mark (service manager) is excellent to deal with and very knowledgeable. I was just there yesterday in fact with the 855R. Mark and the Weaver folks were instrumental in working out a successful outcome with Volvo on the awful situation we had with the 2004 V70R.

No mods other than Hawk HPS pads and Michelin PS2's. The car is my wife's daily driver although I did take it to three weekends at VIR http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=36024 this year with the BMWCCA and Tarheel Sports Car Club events. For those events, the mods were: Motul 600 brake fluid, Performance Friction 97-compound full race pads, PZero Corsa r-compound tires http://www.tradebotics.com/V70...t.jpg. I mainly wanted to experience AWD on the track after having done track events for 25 years with RWD cars only, and it was a blast. However, at the level I was driving the car, I did uncover some shortcomings that will prevent me from tracking it anymore (i.e. Haldex overheat issue). For now I'm sticking with the M5 for club track events and am considering seriously building up the 330iZHP (or buying a modified E46 M3) for track days.

You could have mistaken my car for a black one perhaps. The Magic Blue looks black most of the time, especially from far away. Here's a shot of mine and SaffyR's Magic Blue cars in cloudy conditions:

Even in the sunlight, it still is very dark in color and often mistaken for "black".
Here it is in the middle of the "Roller Coaster" at VIR:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.